• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Arnie

squidhands said:
Boo! The Campaign is the best part about this game.

But the repetitive challenges are getting old, and the game hasn't been out that long. I sure hope they have some better ones waiting in the wings.
Oh I agree with you, I think Reach's campaign is the best in the whole franchise but it still doesn't diminish the fact that I find fighting the same set pieces, no matter how good the AI is to be dull. I rarely finish Singleplayer campaigns twice and if I do my second playthrough is always with some ulterior motive in mind (getting all the achievement points). On the other hand I can play the multiplayer side of the game over and over without it becoming too repetitious, so I prefer it when the challenges ask me to do this, rather than campaign or firefight.

I also agree that they need to come up with some new challenges though.

LosDaddie

Banned
Tashi0106 said:
No, I agree. There are a lot of Xbox haters on GAF.

Fixed for accuracy. Halo being the flagship franchise on Xbox gets an extension of that hate.

Zennshi said:
Daily Challenges:

More than a Handful - 1250cR
Kill 125 enemies in multiplayer Matchmaking.

Pass the Rock - 2500cR
Earn 20 assists today in multiplayer Matchmaking.

Weapon Swap - 1000cR
Earn 10 sprees in a Firefight Matchmaking game on Heroic or harder.

Killing Spree - 1500cR
Earn a Killing Spree in multiplayer Matchmaking.

hmmm...I might hop on for an hour and see how many challenges I can get.

electricpirate said:
In terms of additions to the game, it allows weapons that can work well over a wide variety of ranges without being too strong at any one range.

Is that worth what it detracts from the game to you though? I dunno, but I'd be a sad panda without the Reach pistol, that's for sure.

When I first started with Reach I agreed with this argument, but the way that the "weapon roles" were executed post-beta has changed my mind. The bloom/rate of fire on the pistol pretty much guarantees that in close combat with an AR guy you are just spamming the hell out of it and hoping things work out.

I love the pistol but it's roll for me in Reach is as a starting headshot/scoped weapon that isn't overpowered at range. This could be its roll without bloom as well. Alternatively the pistol could have bloom while the DMR could not. To avoid the issues that the BR had in Halo 3, the DMR could just have a fixed rate of fire that would be identical to the rate of fire it has now if you are pacing your shots to have zero bloom.

Again, I really don't think bloom is as big of a deal as people make it out to be since you're getting screwed/lucking out considerably less than 10% of the time, I just don't get what it adds to the experience. Saying that it rewards "skilled players that time their shots" is BS. Since those players are already being rewarded for their ability to aim accurately/manage ammo/switch to secondary/use cover/etc. etc. etc.

Bloom, as it is implemented in Reach, seems to frustrate skilled players rather than reward them.

Pete Rock

I love how the assist challenge usually says "secondary fire", even though the way to get it is to primary fire thru the shields, then walk away deliberately :lol

Rocket Race playlist stat! Six good maps counting Noble DLC, a legit gametype and yet no playlist... bummer

Pete Rock said:
I love how the assist challenge usually says "secondary fire", even though the way to get it is to primary fire thru the shields, then walk away deliberately :lol

Rocket Race playlist stat! Six good maps counting Noble DLC, a legit gametype and yet no playlist... bummer
I honestly don't like how the driver assist medal doesn't count towards a daily challenge for assists. I can understand why they did it, but really it doesn't make me want to drive a vehicle. It's just wasted time really if I only have a short time to play and want to get all of the multiplayer challenges.

GhaleonEB

Major Williams said:
I honestly don't like how the driver assist medal doesn't count towards a daily challenge for assists. I can understand why they did it, but really it doesn't make me want to drive a vehicle. It's just wasted time really if I only have a short time to play and want to get all of the multiplayer challenges.
The Challenges such as assists are tied to medals. So it literally is, get the assist medal X times. Likewise the "while jetpacking" one means, get the Firebird medal. It doesn't seem like the Challenge system can capture more than one variable in each statement. So no dual goals, such as beat a mission in X time while also not dying; it's got to be one or the other. And it means only one medal for assists; because the one for driving is a different medal, the system can't include them both.

I love the idea of the Challenges, but the limitations in them are starting to really show.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
squidhands said:
I can't wait for the Weekly that is for getting 500 assists in Matchmaking. :lol

As broken as assists are, I wouldn't mind a Weekly like that.

For some reason, assists don't seem to be much of a problem in the MLG playlist. I can't quite describe it, but it doesn't seem as off in there.

Domino Theory said:
As broken as assists are, I wouldn't mind a Weekly like that.

For some reason, assists don't seem to be much of a problem in the MLG playlist. I can't quite describe it, but it doesn't seem as off in there.

Could it be that there is less time between encounters due to increased player speed? Add in the fact that players are generally better/team-oriented so that encounters are shorter and involve more team shooting and I think that explains it.

I'm saying all that as someone that is yet to play a game of MLG.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Really Alien, from watching that you say DMR zen master? That guy's sniping has always been some of the best out of all the pros. This match shows why. And I'm such an idiot but when he no scopes me after I come through the portal I'm strafing back and forth with the same distance and speed. Too predictable. At the end of Halo 3 I picked up a strafing pattern that made it hard for people to no scope me and I didn't use it in that situation. I've gotta incorporate that back into my game especially now in Reach where getting head shots is sooo easy.

And Ram, I don't think the nade he threw hurt him at all. That wall seemed to block it. Cuz you know, the Pros need all the luck they can get lol

Zel3 said:
2:37 was great. All the strafing and he just waits. :p
It surprises me how often he did that. He would just stand perfectly still with the sniper and wait for the person to walk into his scope... rather then attempting to sweep snipe or take random crazy shots.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Tashi0106 said:
Really Alien, from watching that you say DMR zen master? That guy's sniping has always been some of the best out of all the pros. This match shows why. And I'm such an idiot but when he no scopes me after I come through the portal I'm strafing back and forth with the same distance and speed. Too predictable. At the end of Halo 3 I picked up a strafing pattern that made it hard for people to no scope me and I didn't use it in that situation. I've gotta incorporate that back into my game especially now in Reach where getting head shots is sooo easy.

And Ram, I don't think the nade he threw hurt him at all. That wall seemed to block it. Cuz you know, the Pros need all the luck they can get lol

Well yea, when you see how he perfectly paces his DMR shots; I did laugh when he just stood still and no scoped you though.

So I just played a game with the sensitivity turned down to 3 and did much better than I usually do, I typically play at 8.

What sensitivity do you use Tashi? What does everyone use?

I tried 1 and 2, but you move slow as shit.

Alienshogun said:
Well yea, when you see how he perfectly paces his DMR shots; I did laugh when he just stood still and no scoped you though.

So I just played a game with the sensitivity turned down to 3 and did much better than I usually do, I typically play at 8.

What sensitivity do you use Tashi? What does everyone use?

I tried 1 and 2, but you move slow as shit.

I use three. I like 5 for CQB, but I can't DMR for shit at five
at all

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
electricpirate said:
I use three. I like 5 for CQB, but I can't DMR for shit at five
at all

Might explain my frustration playing at 8. I was just used to playing COD at that, but I guess that game is easier at higher sensitivity since consistent aim isn't required.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I'm using 3 sensitivity. Whatever you choose just stick with it, don't try to switch it too often. I used to play on 10 and that's when I got my 50 in MLG. However, I was never known for having a good shot. I was never great at our BR'ing people and I still have "skill" issues in Reach. 3 sensivity helps with my shot though. It keeps it steady and I'm more consistent. My CQC game could use some help though and a sensitivity raise would help but I don't know if I want to try that.

Finally got all 1250/1250. In the Stockpile game today, I threw a couple of flags out of our pile because we couldn't get all 4. My teammates shot me up pretty bad in the process :lol

MrBig

Devin Olsen said:
It surprises me how often he did that. He would just stand perfectly still with the sniper and wait for the person to walk into his scope... rather then attempting to sweep snipe or take random crazy shots.
That's what I do. It seems to be the most effective tactic in reach.

Holy Crap, I just checked my Bungie.net stats, and I upgraded to Gold this season!

Just as well, cause while I only managed bronze for the first two seasons, I had a lot more fun those seasons than I did this season.

I boycotted Season 3 cause I didn't like that Bungie stripped so much out, decided to give Season 4 a chance, and played with my buddies whenever they needed a fouth...but was always happy when we jumped out for some Team Objective.

Still, feels good to go gold. :D

bobs99 ... said:
Im just bitter because bloom is severly affecting my fun of the MLG playlist, I just dont find the core gunplay fun because of it. So while everything else feels good such as movement, I find myself still feeling like the gunplay is lacking, I basically start games of MLG and lose interest within the first few minuites

I've found myself playing a lot less than when Halo 3 for the same reason. I couldn't imagine myself not playing for a day, let alone a week like I am now. It's just not as much fun. I guess I'll keep practicing my DMR timing.

Grimm Fandango said:
Finally got all 1250/1250. In the Stockpile game today, I threw a couple of flags out of our pile because we couldn't get all 4. My teammates shot me up pretty bad in the process :lol
Wait I still don't fully understand how to get that achievement - score all 5 flags in 1 round in a stockpile game? Or get 10-0 in a single stockpile game?

Arnie

Over the last couple of days my DMR has improved dramatically. I've basically restricted myself to a very specific DMR rythm in most scenarios and it seems to work. I just keep my cool and make sure I place every shot. I play on 5 sensitivity and can't go back, I need it for when a player appears in my peripheral vision and I need to swipe quickly to him, I think 5 strikes a nice balance between having a steady DMR aim whilst also gives you an advantage speed wise against the guys who role default. I too need to work on my strafing pattern, I've become much better at avoiding grenade splash damage since playing MLG, probably because of the improved movement capabilities.

brokenwatch said:
I've found myself playing a lot less than when Halo 3 for the same reason. I couldn't imagine myself not playing for a day, let alone a week like I am now. It's just not as much fun. I guess I'll keep practicing my DMR timing.
I played Halo 3 everyday in anticipation for Reach, but just don't enjoy Reach that much. Haven't played it in a month. I personally think it just doesn't have that "style" that 3 had.

Gui_PT

Major Williams said:
Wait I still don't fully understand how to get that achievement - score all 5 flags in 1 round in a stockpile game? Or get 10-0 in a single stockpile game?

You just need to score all 4 flags at the same time.

pakkit

Banned
Were assists always this broken? Given that they're given nearly the same weight as kills when it comes to determining your rating, they're so tremendously off. I've naded someone's health down to a bar, and some random guy will come and shoot him in the torso and get the kill while I get no assist. Heck, I didn't even know you could get an assist spree because it's such a broken POS.

pakkit said:
Were assists always this broken? Given that they're given nearly the same weight as kills when it comes to determining your rating, they're so tremendously off. I've naded someone's health down to a bar, and some random guy will come and shoot him in the torso and get the kill while I get no assist. Heck, I didn't even know you could get an assist spree because it's such a broken POS.

As far as I can tell, they've been busted since the game released.

Which is weird, cause they were awesome in the beta.

I think a lot of the selfish play seen in the Arena would go away if people could actually count on getting assists when they deserved it. Right now, the only way to guarantee a point is to get the kill, so people are competing against each other instead of helping each other.

Obviously the current rating system is problematic, but this assist issue just exacerbates the problem IMO.

The Antitype said:
As far as I can tell, they've been busted since the game released.

Which is weird, cause they were awesome in the beta.

I think a lot of the selfish play seen in the Arena would go away if people could actually count on getting assists when they deserved it. Right now, the only way to guarantee a point is to get the kill, so people are competing against each other instead of helping each other.

Obviously the current rating system is problematic, but this assist issue just exacerbates the problem IMO.
That competitiveness is a "problem" in almost every current fps game. Although I do not think it was as bad in Halo 3, or am I wrong in my assumption?

Game2Death said:
That competitiveness is a "problem" in almost every current fps game. Although I do not think it was as bad in Halo 3, or am I wrong in my assumption?

It's not bad in Team Fortress 2. And it wasn't really in Halo 3 either.

People knew that if they won the match, their rank would go up. Helping others get kills is a good way to win a match.

The new ranking is individually based, and depending on how Machiavellian you want to get, you're often better off screwing your teammates over than you are helping them.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
pakkit said:
Yeah, you can, you just can't die. I only have two of them.

Assists come quickly, but I agree, they seem broken sometimes, the biggest issue though is the time limit.

On another note, dropping my sensitivity has made me much better.

FourDoor

Devin Olsen said:

I noticed this too. This was a completely different way of sniping I've been accustomed to. No more sweep sniping and just let the target come across your scope as opposed to chasing the target down.

I may have to try this in CQC situations next time.
and end up dead with the sniper
:lol

Arnie

I had so much fun in MLG tonight, me and my friend just rolled through teams, posting about two poor games out of 12. I was lighting people up with my Deemer, and I revived some of my Sniper skills from Halo 3, once I began to focus a little.

My problem with the Sniper in the past is that once I have it I'm aware that it is a long ranged weapon and I begin to panic about any medium to short range combat that might occur. The trick I found is to just cool things down, take a breath and focus directly on the reticle. When going for those juicy no scope it's also better to just move your body in line with theirs rather than your reticle if you just want to strip their shield down quickly.

Been loving Assault too tonight, it has some depth to it whereby you have to lock your opponents down whilst trying to plant it, rather than just running a flag home.

Just watched that Tizoxic gameplay and while his sniping is amazing, I found his DMR to be pretty standard fare. I can confidently say that the stuff he's doing with his Deemer is on par with the stuff I've been producing over the last few days. It's his Sniping that really sets him apart though, he has an awareness to his play that I just lack in that regard.

MrBig

What's up with all the load failures now? I get them almost every other time it tries to load a map in matchmaking.

FourDoor said:
I noticed this too. This was a completely different way of sniping I've been accustomed to. No more sweep sniping and just let the target come across your scope as opposed to chasing the target down.

I may have to try this in CQC situations next time.
and end up dead with the sniper
:lol
That's weird to even think about. You may have to say your hail mary's just in case.

savingprivateryancap.jpg

Top Bottom