• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

LosDaddie

Banned
Zennshi said:
Daily Challenges:

Shootin' and Lootin' - 1500cR
Kill 150 enemies in any game mode in Reach.

Secondary Fire - 4000cR
Earn 25 assists today in multiplayer Matchmaking.

Now I have a Machine Gun - 2500cR
Earn 100 kills with automatic weapons in multiplayer Matchmaking. (wtf)

Nice! I like them.....well except for the automatic one.

kylej

Banned
xxjuicesxx said:
Just had a shitty week at work. Intend to game the hell out of Friday and Saturday. Wanna hit Brigadier by the end of it hopefully if the caps don't stop me.

You have my AR good sir.

feel

Gui_PT said:
egpsnd.jpg
:lol
got the youtube partnership deal yet?

Gui_PT

Letters said:
:lol
got the youtube partnership deal yet?

We're negotiating =P

Despite this being the worst group of dailies I've seen, I got over 30k cR thanks to them. So I guess you're forgiven, Bungle.

Nutter said:
Well that is still an easy 10k credits.. But really 100 automatic kills???? Wtf..

I think these kind of challenges should be in the game but not in multiplayer matchmaking. Totally changes the way a game is played and it's not for the better.

Put it in campaign or Firefight.

Grimm Fandango said:
I think these kind of challenges should be in the game but not in multiplayer matchmaking. Totally changes the way a game is played and it's not for the better.

Put it in campaign or Firefight.
There is a reason behind it: People should vote for other modes than Slayer PRO, Slayer DMR.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Plywood said:
It's a good thing in WoW the only thing he can manage is his character.

OH SNAP!

xxjuicesxx said:
lol i just watched this game on some dudes stream: http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/gamestats.aspx?gameid=372426658&player=Booo on LIVE

i was laughing hard.

Ok, how is that matchup even possible? Sometimes I really think this trueskill crap is BS.

Genesis Knight said:
Hmm, I wonder what about them is 'travel-sized'.

They are smaller.

FourDoor

I got to play some BTB last night and caught my first ever vehicular manslaughter! :D To top it off, it was from an overkill splatter!

4 guys were hiding out on the ridge on Hemorage pinned down by my teammates so I decided to go around them to say hi! :lol

vehicular_overkill.jpg

Vehicular Overkill

It's about to get worse: winter break starts today for a lot of schools.

This is my first year at a real job. I graduated last December and, man, am I going to miss two weeks of video games.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
So, Urk, or anyone else who might be reading these forums, it seems there is a lag issue with getting stuck in assassinations, or maybe I'm just holding the melee button longer than .5 seconds.

It would be really awesome if we had the option to turn off assassinations for ourselves, or make the time to initiate longer. Getting stuck in the animation in MLG can usually screw you and your team.

Would be awesome to have that as an option, kind of like the clench guard option.

I tried posting this on B.net forums, but the typical responses arose, "get better," "it's fine," "lololol this is stupid." What these kids don't realize is it wouldn't effect them in any way, and wouldn't change the game in any negative way.

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=54269028&viewreplies=true&postRepeater1-p=1

I think it's a good idea, and would like to try to get it to someone who might actually see it.

Gui_PT

Dax01 said:
I hope a lot of people realize that this isn't just the AR. It includes the Needler too.

That should be pretty easy if you play a couple of games of Invasion.

Yeah, I know it's not only the AR. Problem is, takes too long in Invasion so I went into Multi Team. And in Multi Team, most gametypes all you've got is an AR, except for Elite Slayer which is where I got the challenge done.

Hypertrooper said:
There is a reason behind it: People should vote for other modes than Slayer PRO, Slayer DMR.

I always get a good variety of gametypes in Team Slayer. Elite, Pro, DMR, and standard. Unless I'm going with a team of four, in which case we pretty much always vote for DMR or Standard. :D

In any case, it shouldn't affect the way people play in Team Slayer or Lonewolves that much.

I'm one of the few that always drops my pistol for the DMR and keeps the AR on hand for close encounters. :lol

Alienshogun said:
It would be really awesome if we had the option to turn off assassinations for ourselves, or make the time to initiate longer. Getting stuck in the animation in MLG can usually screw you and your team.

Would be awesome to have that as an option, kind of like the clench guard option.
I think there is an option somewhere to turn off assassinations (it just skips the animation). Isn't that turned on in SWAT, or have I gone crazy?

Alienshogun said:
So, Urk, or anyone else who might be reading these forums, it seems there is a lag issue with getting stuck in assassinations, or maybe I'm just holding the melee button longer than .5 seconds.

I tried posting this on B.net forums, but the typical responses arose, "get better," "it's fine," "lololol this is stupid." What these kids don't realize is it wouldn't effect them in any way, and wouldn't change the game in any negative way.

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=54269028&viewreplies=true&postRepeater1-p=1

I think it's a good idea, and would like to try to get it to someone who might actually see it.

lol - get better noob.

Just joking - I agree, and im sure a few others on here mentioned during the beta that it would be a great option to add to the full game. I personally think it should be something they can switch off on theyre end for some playlists. I cant bring guests into MLG but I can assassinate in there?

Dont get me wrong, I love the assassinations in social, but to be honest they just dont belong in fast paced competative multiplayer.

As for the XBLcharts, and the population in general. Its clear that Reach turned off a segment of the Halo fanbase - matchmaking has been getting slower and slower. No doubt christmas should bring about new players and give people more time to game in general. So I think the numbers will be more interesting over the christmas break.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Shake Appeal said:
I think there is an option somewhere to turn off assassinations (it just skips the animation). Isn't that turned on in SWAT, or have I gone crazy?

You know what, I think you're right.

Would be nice if it was a toggle for the player in any playlist.

bobs99 ... said:
lol - get better noob.

Just joking - I agree, and im sure a few others on here mentioned during the beta that it would be a great option to add to the full game. I personally think it should be something they can switch off on theyre end for some playlists. I cant bring guests into MLG but I can assassinate in there?

Dont get me wrong, I love the assassinations in social, but to be honest they just dont belong in fast paced competative multiplayer.

As for the XBLcharts, and the population in general. Its clear that Reach turned off a segment of the Halo fanbase - matchmaking has been getting slower and slower. No doubt christmas should bring about new players and give people more time to game in general. So I think the numbers will be more interesting over the christmas break.

Really hoping someone from Bungie sees my post, or someone else's related post about it, and agrees.

Yeah, TS, SWAT and BTB seem to be the only playlists that don't have that issue, but the 24 hour users still hovers around 600-700k depending on the day.

The Antitype said:
I always get a good variety of gametypes in Team Slayer. Elite, Pro, DMR, and standard. Unless I'm going with a team of four, in which case we pretty much always vote for DMR or Standard. :D

In any case, it shouldn't affect the way people play in Team Slayer or Lonewolves that much.

I'm one of the few that always drops my pistol for the DMR and keeps the AR on hand for close encounters. :lol
There are really people out there who wants to start with a AR? :( But I haven't played normal Slayer for a while because it sucks to play a game with randoms...

Alienshogun said:
Reach is third this week again behind Blops and MW2.

I really wish we could see those numbers.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416229
Do you really expect to see Reach would lead the XBLcharts? It will never happen anymore I guess. CoD is the new Halo, dude. When I talk to class mates about videogames no one knows Halo. But you can talk with them about Call Of Duty... And I don't know why. But yeah it happens.

Ramirez

Shake Appeal said:

No, animations still play out in Swat, I'm pretty sure skipping the animation is lag related.

Ramirez said:
No, animations still play out in Swat, I'm pretty sure skipping the animation is lag related.

And terrain oriented..you skip it on the reflection lift everytime, sometimes in other places where they are on higher lower terrain too.

Also AlienShogun brings up a point from a moment I raged earlier in one of the MLG games last night, our teammates had gotten the flag to their rocks under their carbine bridge was killed by their team I snuck around front ring assassinated a guy near their jump-up but instead of a quick pop to his back and grab the flag and get it past their line of sights and hopefully to a spot thats too far for them to protect I just died assassinating him. I swear I couldn't have pressed it long but it was still TOO long for a simple beatdown to the back...

I was a bit pissed it was at such a crucial moment and felt the error was more on the games part than mine, when lately I've been good at admitting my faults.

So I said, man I wish MLG turned off assassinations because the hold to assassinate thing is just way too short IMO.

Maybe they can and will eventually!

Hypertrooper said:
There are really people out there who wants to start with a AR? :( But I haven't played normal Slayer for a while because it sucks to play a game with randoms...

Yep. Starting with ARs and fighting for control of the DMR (like any other power weapons) tends to bring the average range of fire-fights closer, so you get more weapons in the mix. I see every weapon being used in AR starts - AR, pistol, PR, DMR, Needler, NR, etc.

With DMR starts, you tend to only see DMR, Shotty, Snipes and Rockets.

The Antitype said:
Yep. Starting with ARs and fighting for control of the DMR (like any other power weapons) tends to bring the average range of fire-fights closer, so you get more weapons in the mix. I see every weapon being used in AR starts - AR, pistol, PR, DMR, Needler, NR, etc.

That's what I've been seeing as well.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Hypertrooper said:

Do you really expect to see Reach would lead the XBLcharts? It will never happen anymore I guess. CoD is the new Halo, dude. When I talk to class mates about videogames no one knows Halo. But you can talk with them about Call Of Duty... And I don't know why. But yeah it happens.

I'm so tired of COD, I want a return to actual realistic shooters like the old Ghost Recon, Operation flashpoint and rainbow six.

COD is just straight up garbage, and it burns my ass when people call it a realistic shooter.

I have no clue why people think COD is better than Halo, perhaps it's because it's harder to be good at Halo, who knows.

xxjuicesxx said:
And terrain oriented..you skip it on the reflection lift everytime, sometimes in other places where they are on higher lower terrain too.

Also AlienShogun brings up a point from a moment I raged earlier in one of the MLG games last night, our teammates had gotten the flag to their rocks under their carbine bridge was killed by their team I snuck around front ring assassinated a guy near their jump-up but instead of a quick pop to his back and grab the flag and get it past their line of sights and hopefully to a spot thats too far for them to protect I just died assassinating him. I swear I couldn't have pressed it long but it was still TOO long for a simple beatdown to the back...

I was a bit pissed it was at such a crucial moment and felt the error was more on the games part than mine, when lately I've been good at admitting my faults.

So I said, man I wish MLG turned off assassinations because the hold to assassinate thing is just way too short IMO.

Maybe they can and will eventually!

Yeah it happened to me about 3-4 times after you got off last night too, but actually I think I brought up them giving the option to remove it, and you said "that's a good idea," but we can both take credit. :lol

The Antitype said:

Mmh. When I play normal Slayer it ends in a Pistole/DMR/Shotty/Snipes fight. And no one is using the AR.

Btw. Does anyone wants to play TeamObjection/DLC? I really want to get the damn Stockpile achievement :lol

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Hypertrooper said:
Mmh. When I play normal Slayer it ends in a Pistole/DMR/Shotty/Snipes fight. And no one is using the AR.

Btw. Does anyone wants to play TeamObjection/DLC? I really want to get the damn Stockpile achievement :lol

I'm getting on right now if you want some good old soon to be 30 year old Halo playing, on college break, raging about assassinations, quitters, and armorlock lovin.

Alienshogun said:
I'm so tired of COD, I want a return to actual realistic shooters like the old Ghost Recon, Operation flashpoint and rainbow six.

COD is just straight up garbage, and it burns my ass when people call it a realistic shooter.

I have no clue why people think COD is better than Halo, perhaps it's because it's harder to be good at Halo, who knows.

At some point in terms of mass media, Sci Fi is always going to be a bit more Niche than Military themed shooters. COD also hasn't been a major fixture in the mass media for as long, with MW only having been out for 3 years, so in many ways it's it's popularity is still cresting, for now at least.

MrBig

electricpirate said:
At some point in terms of mass media, Sci Fi is always going to be a bit more Niche than Military themed shooters. COD also hasn't been a major fixture in the mass media for as long, with MW only having been out for 3 years, so in many ways it's it's popularity is still cresting, for now at least.
4 games in 3 years tells you something about their development quality, even if it was done by two studios. It shows.

Now for two straight weeks of nothing but videogames (Halo, third oblivion run through, and my first go at morrowind in anticipation of Skyrim.)

Man, I wish Bungie would do a title update for the warthog controls alone. I mean, I like the way most of the vehicles control in this game, but the warthog controls need to be more grounded; they're too floaty as is. I'm afraid to do any of the moves I could do in the Halo 3 warthog in Reach for fear that I'll flip the warthog over. I feel like a pebble could cause the 'hog in Reach to flip over.

MrBig

Dax01 said:
Man, I wish Bungie would do a title update for the warthog controls alone. I mean, I like the way most of the vehicles control in this game, but the warthog controls need to be more grounded; they're too floaty as is. I'm afraid to do any of the moves I could do in the Halo 3 warthog in Reach for fear that I'll flip the warthog over. I feel like a pebble could cause the 'hog in Reach to flip over.
It was great in the beta. Its not as good as it was, but its not much different at all from previous games.

Alienshogun said:

Agreed. The fact that Halo is harder to master probably resonates with a ton of the new crop of gamers. Blops sucks your dick harder than any other game before. Die 5 times in a row? Have some points, you earned it.

Seriously, I haven't enjoyed a COD multiplayer game since 2 and that was probably only because it was new and hot when 360 first rolled out. Now they just keep squeezing that same clunky engine year in and year out for the last drop of garbage water they can. Reach may have some backlash but I still think it's great. It's definitively Halo, yet because they rework the engine each time and spend more than 10 months building it, it really feels fresh. I can only hope that 343i doesn't fuck up the whole series by pumping out yearly sequels and catering to the lowest common denominator.

MrBig said:
4 games in 3 years tells you something about their development quality, even if it was done by two studios. It shows.

Now for two straight weeks of nothing but videogames (Halo, third oblivion run through, and my first go at morrowind in anticipation of Skyrim.)

I actually wouldn't take anything away from the quality of the COD franchise, and I hope I didn't come off that way. COD4: MW was a disruptive shooter, and the first game to effectively bring together RPG and FPS elements into a single package. It was a pretty important game in the evolution of multiplayer shooters.

It's almost hard to imagine, but the time between Halo:CE and halo 2 is the same as the time between COD4:MW and Black ops.

riskVSreward said:
Agreed. The fact that Halo is harder to master probably resonates with a ton of the new crop of gamers. Blops sucks your dick harder than any other game before. Die 5 times in a row? Have some points, you earned it.

Seriously, I haven't enjoyed a COD multiplayer game since 2 and that was probably only because it was new and hot when 360 first rolled out. Now they just keep squeezing that same clunky engine year in and year out for the last drop of garbage water they can. Reach may have some backlash but I still think it's great. It's definitively Halo, yet because they rework the engine each time and spend more than 10 months building it, it really feels fresh. I can only hope that 343i doesn't fuck up the whole series by pumping out yearly sequels and catering to the lowest common denominator.
They seem to be hiring top notch talent, so let's hope not.

As for CoD vs. Halo, it really comes down to preference. I enjoy both. Sure the over-stimuli of CoD can hamper some of the experience for some, but it is the epitome of ADHD and having a good time in a half hour or less. Halo is similar, but focuses more on out thinking your opponent.

Kuroyume

Banned
The Antitype said:

Are you serious? In AR start games most of the players usually stick to the AR.

AR+Grenades+Melee+AL

That's the formula I run into most in this game. With the range and damage output of the post beta AR I think most people don't feel the need to bother with anything else unless someone drops the sword or rockets at their feet. The AR isn't a close quarters weapon like Bungie likes to say it is.

GhaleonEB

Random thought: the Game Complete bonus for playing Campaign should not be tied to the same level as a custom Firefight or Multiplayer game. The reason being, you can't manipulate the game to be a cakewalk in Campaign. Rather, the bonus should be tied to your level - as in matchmaking - but also to the difficulty. So you get next to nothing for Easy or Normal, and more for Heroic or Legendary.

Every time I play Campaign, I get bummed at the tiny cR payout, even though I'm playing on Heroic with skulls on.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
MrBig said:

You and me both. :D

pakkit

Banned
Playing this game with music blaring makes for a much less frustrating experience.

I CANT HEAR YOUR NOOBISH YELLS OVER ENYA, MUHFUCKAS.

Trasher

Genesis Knight said:
Hmm, I wonder what about them is 'travel-sized'.
I have the A30s. The reason they are better for travel is that yes, they are a bit smaller, but the main reason is that you can plug them in to an MP3 player, cellphone, etc. The A40s, as far as I know, can't do that. They are also on-ear rather than over-ear like the A40s.

I love my A30s by the way.

Top Bottom