• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

GhaleonEB

Kuroyume said:
You can skip that entire part. That's what I did.
Yeah I don't know why that didn't occur to me. :lol

I tried it one last time and after trying to get an angle some Elites on the second to last wave - before the drop ship that took me out - I notice I'm right next to the path away from that area. And I'm like, hmmmm....*runs*

5,000 cR and a notch in the Flawless Cowboy commendation. Looks like it took 5 attempts over the course of an hour and 46 minutes. The final run took 47 minutes, thanks to skipping that big fight. I honestly didn't think I'd ever be able to do it, but it just took hanging back - WAY BACK - for most of the fights.

neoism

pakkit said:
Playing this game with music blaring makes for a much less frustrating experience.

I CANT HEAR YOUR NOOBISH YELLS OVER ENYA, MUHFUCKAS.
Even though you shouldn't... I do to I listen to Aes Dana all the time when I play. I swear it makes me play better. :p

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
kylej said:
juices and i need people for mlg send jelyk a message

God damn it, I was looking for you guys earlier.

Wife's birthday this weekend, so I'll be neigh non existent.

Epyon MX said:
If only one thing gets fixed in a title update, it'd be this.

I would consider the blackscreens and frequent host swapping a bigger issue. I don't have an issue driving the warthog. Adding in an option to disable assassinations for yourself would be another thing I would place above warthog issues, as well as armor lock tweaks.

Hey You

Ninja on Fire posted some upcoming changes for MM:

I wanted to let everyone in on some upcoming changes that we've been working on, this is not a complete list and I can't give you a specific timeline. Please use this thread to discuss only the changes listed below.

FFA Arena

We'll be adding an FFA Arena, using the same maps from the Team Arena lineup. The initial gametype used will include the following settings:
* Loadout = DMR/AR/1 Frag/Sprint
* Motion Tracker Enabled
* No power weapons on map

Community Playlists
We're going to start cycling playlists featuring 100% community maps, the first of these will be 4v4 slayer. You'll also be seeing a Grifball playlist in the near future, as well as some updates to the MLG playlist (weapon spawn fixes included).

Team Objective
This playlist currently features a massive array of map and gametype combinations, so we're going to use your voting data to offer up a better lineup. The result will be that you'll see the options you want to play more often.

Big Team Battle
Big Team Slayer games are running a bit short, so we're going to bump these up to 100 to win. Snipers and Elite Slayer will remain at 75 for now and we'll continue to evaluate average game lengths.

Firefight Grab Bags
Lars has designed some more Firefight experiences for you all to check out, you'll probably see at least one of them in January!

The Cage
There is a new revision of The Cage that we're currently working on that includes some major changes that alter the flow of the map. I won't go into too much detail, but I will say that we're getting close to finalizing it and we'll get it in your hands as soon as it's ready.

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=54301096

Kuroyume

Banned
+ FFA - Hell yes
+ Community Playlists - Hell yes

- Still nothing about lowering the weighting of Elite Slayer and Rocket Race in Multi Team - Too fucking much
- Nothing about removing AL from some of the playlists
- Nothing about removing the Banshees from Breakpoint
- Nothing about double Cr

Sure I'm forgetting some other stuff.

kylej said:
juices and i need people for mlg send jelyk a message

We were doing good and I was drunk happy as hell. Chinese dude didn't deliver my food right and I fuckin raged hard. IDIOT! GIMME MY FUCKIN FOOD WTF WHY CAN"T MY LIFE EVER WORK RIGHT!!!!!! (Fuckin randoms!)

Kuroyume said:
Sure I'm forgetting some other stuff.

You're not going to ever see an overhaul until you grab a dude who's dedicating time to the playlists hard, someone who truly wants the game to get better...

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I must admit that The Cage has grown on me somewhat over time — never thought that'd happen. It's still pretty shitty, but nowhere near as bad as Atom. Could these "major changes" actually make it a decent map?

zumphry

Banned
Thanks for the Firefight matches where it was just the two of us Ghaleon :lol I gotta save that clip of me going rambo with the sword on those Elites and Grunts.

Oh, and talking about ForgeWorld and my maps. Those baked in rocks are going to be the death of me.
wigxw.gif

NOKYARD

GhaleonEB said:
I tried it one last time and after trying to get an angle some Elites on the second to last wave - before the drop ship that took me out - I notice I'm right next to the path away from that area. And I'm like, hmmmm....*runs*

5,000 cR and a notch in the Flawless Cowboy commendation. Looks like it took 5 attempts over the course of an hour and 46 minutes. The final run took 47 minutes, thanks to skipping that big fight. I honestly didn't think I'd ever be able to do it, but it just took hanging back - WAY BACK - for most of the fights.
After i completed the challenge i did a proof-of-concept run of Nightfall on Legendary using nothing but stealth.

Stealth Nightfall by NOKYARD, on Flickr

The plan was to make my way past a group of enemies and hide until Jun is forced to move up and engage the entire lot. Once the covies are sufficiently distracted i make my way to the next area. This worked beautifully up to the Powerhouse area where, instead of using the forklift glitch, i made my way into the structure and hid in the showers, forcing Jun into a CQB battle. In order to speed up the process i did sneak up to assassinate a few Elites, and grenade the Hunters. Jun kind of sucks at sniping, but he seems to be an extremely efficient killer at close range and soon the entire area was littered with bodies.

The final area seems to be tailor made for stealth and even includes a few conveniently placed hidey-holes. The only issue here is that Jun hovers a bit too close and draws fire toward you, revealing your position. If you could force Jun to hold back (or push him off a cliff) this Mission would be on par with stealth games like Deus Ex or Thief.

GhaleonEB

ZayneH said:
Thanks for the Firefight matches where it was just the two of us Ghaleon :lol I gotta save that clip of me going rambo with the sword on those Elites and Grunts.

Oh, and talking about ForgeWorld and my maps. Those baked in rocks are going to be the death of me.
wigxw.gif
Yeah that was a lot of fun. I still can't believe we got six games in a row where it was just the two of us. :lol

There's a gaggle of amusing clips I need to take out, include one that happened right when you were slice and dicing, so I'll check that out as well. That Courtyard game was nuts.

For all the grief I give multiplayer, I really love Firefight. Look forward to what Lars has cooked up next month.

zumphry

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
There's a gaggle of amusing clips I need to take out, include one that happened right when you were slice and dicing, so I'll check that out as well. That Courtyard game was nuts.

That was the one when I was being dropped kicked by every Elite, right?

Oh, and because you asked so nicely, here's that Aerospace Wallpaper I told you about.

look at PMs

Zennshi

Neo Member
Daily Challenges:

Gunslinger - 1000cR
Kill 100 enemies in multiplayer Matchmaking.

Demon - 1200cR
Kill 40 Elites in Firefight Matchmaking.

Fourth Horseman - 1900cR
Earn 4 multikills in a multiplayer Matchmaking game.

Stronger, Harder - 2750cR
Complete a Campaign mission on Heroic with Famine, Tough Luck, and Thunderstorm on.

Zennshi said:
Daily Challenges:

Gunslinger - 1000cR
Kill 100 enemies in multiplayer Matchmaking.

Demon - 1200cR
Kill 40 Elites in Firefight Matchmaking.

Fourth Horseman - 1900cR
Earn 4 multikills in a multiplayer Matchmaking game.

Stronger, Harder - 2750cR
Complete a Campaign mission on Heroic with Famine, Tough Luck, and Thunderstorm on.
Mixed it up today, nice. Fairly evenly distributed as far as time goes between the 3 modes.

What mission would be the best to get that last challenge done? I'm thinking the first one, as usual...

Zennshi

Neo Member
Major Williams said:
What mission would be the best to get that last challenge done? I'm thinking the first one, as usual...
Try the Nightfall speedrun ! its the easiest Way for the Challenge :D

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
cant wait for the community playlist, i hope some gaffers make the cut (myself included!). also, while i actually like the cage in its current state, i'm excited to see improvements to it as long as they include soft killzones ontop of all the structures :)

Awesome card.

Nice to see them mixing up BTB and increasing the score limit to 100. I haven't enjoyed Griffball as much as I had in Halo 3. The lack of gravity in the hammer is a big deal breaker.

Hey You said:
Ninja on Fire posted some upcoming changes for MM:

I'm happy with the changes that have been made so far. The fact that Rocket Race is still in Multi Team is not filling me with holiday cheer, but everything else sounds good.

We're a little over three months in to what should be a 24-36 month experience and the refinements to the MP experience have been steady. Keep it coming Bungie.

Side note: watched some old saved films of Halo 3 gameplay. I really miss being able to move and jump. It's also cool that I didn't have to sacrifice frames to the scope gods whenever I used the BR.

Edit: almost forgot to weigh in on the Cage. I messed around with it in Forge a little and it seems like it could be playable with very few changes.

Kuroyume

Banned
Those challenges today are shitty. 5000 alone for doing Nightfall on Legendary yesterday. 2750 only for having to use three skulls for one today's challenges? Bah

A revision coming to The Cage? Consider my interest piqued.

By the way, the revision of Halo: First Strike is coming out on Tuesday. I'll definitely be picking it up.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Blue Ninja said:
It involves an Army Trooper, a Rocket Launcher, and some crappy aiming. Need I say more?

Nah, I think we've all experienced that.

On a side note, anyone ever hear Jun say "I'm stuck and I can't get it off," kinda like a parody of "I've fallen and I can't get up."

He just did it for my 4:30 minute nightfall run, was funny as hell.

GhaleonEB

Kuroyume said:
Those challenges today are shitty. 5000 alone for doing Nightfall on Legendary yesterday. 2750 only for having to use three skulls for one today's challenges? Bah
You don't have to do it on Legendary without dying. The payout is proportional to the challenge.

Alienshogun said:
I would consider the blackscreens and frequent host swapping a bigger issue. I don't have an issue driving the warthog. Adding in an option to disable assassinations for yourself would be another thing I would place above warthog issues, as well as armor lock tweaks.

Speaking of which, this happened to me this morning:
5271663526_6c0ee11fc3_z.jpg

OH GOD! WHY IS THIS HAPPENING TO ME!!?

Blackscreens, armor hicups and host swapping are annoying, but they don't fundamentally prevent me from playing Halo.

The way the Warthog is now, I don't drive. That's a huge shift from Halo 1, 2 & 3 where that was my primary calling. I loved driving. Now, I have no confidence that I won't get my gunner and myself killed. (Although, the new maps are great for driving a hog). I've given it 3 months and the Reach hog is too dangerously unwieldy (floaty, top-heaving, flip prone) for me to use as a weapon/tactic.

The Falcon on the other hand is beautiful. I love flying that thing. Bungie nailed it.

A part of me wonders if Bungie could implement changes to vehicles like what they did in 3 with the Hornet. I would like to see a variant of the Falcon that has no turrets, just two seats for passengers. It would mean it is less of a fortress but also a means of carrying the falg similar to 3. Or do people not like trying to take down a Falcon? :p

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Epyon MX said:

Blackscreens, armor hicups and host swapping are annoying, but they don't fundamentally prevent me from playing Halo.

The way the Warthog is now, I don't drive. That's a huge shift from Halo 1, 2 & 3 where that was my primary calling. I loved driving. Now, I have no confidence that I won't get my gunner and myself killed. (Although, the new maps are great for driving a hog). I've given it 3 months and the Reach hog is too dangerously unwieldy (floaty, top-heaving, flip prone) for me to use as a weapon/tactic.

The Falcon on the other hand is beautiful. I love flying that thing. Bungie nailed it.

I run into a lot of shitty drivers, but I literally have no problem driving the hog.

Striker

Good news from Ninja 0n Fire. He's done a helluva lot of changes since Reach has came out. Much moreso than what Halo 3 got playlist wise.

FF Arena is Reach's version of 2's Rumble Pit and 3's Lone Wolves, and without power weapons. I have never been much of a FFA kind of guy, but this will make people happy.

Objective and BTB need higher weightings for Flag and Bomb.

Epyon MX said:

After I saw this pic I have to watch EVA 2.22. I don't know why. But I'm watching EVA2.22 right now. Maybe I'll find it out.

feel

Nice to see BTB slayer bumped to 100. 75 was too short.

And I don't know how I feel about the upcoming community maps playlist. I mean, there's definitely some good stuff out there, but Bungie liked Atom...

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Letters said:
Nice to see BTB slayer bumped to 100. 75 was too short.

And I don't know how I feel about the upcoming community maps playlist. I mean, there's definitely some good stuff out there, but Bungie liked Atom...

I've only played it about 3 times, but what's wrong with Atom? It seemed ok to me when I played on it.

Lead Based Paint said:
yeah, me!

He meant himself.

Juices for Bungie playlist management 2010. Yes we BLAM!

feel

Alienshogun said:
what's wrong with Atom?
I don't know if it's actually considered a good map by the general community, but I just find it very awkward to navigate and shoot people on, it's not fun at all for me. And it just pissed me off at the time seeing this map be the first one to get on Reach MM when there was already much better stuff out there.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Letters said:
I don't know if it's actually considered a good map by the general community, but I just find it very awkward to navigate and shoot people on, it's not fun at all for me. And it just pissed me off at the time seeing this map be the first one to get on Reach MM when there was already much better stuff out there.

Ah I got you, my initial impression was it's better than Pinnacle, so at least that's something. :lol

Letters said:
Almost all of my games on Atom degenerate into grenade the fuck out of the bottom or camp the towers. It has no real flow between the bottom and upper section at all. But it's still better than Cliffhanger. Those spawns are seriously broken.

Atom is a pretty bad map (I just spend the entire thing DMR/NRing from the rooftops) but it's definitely better than Pinnacle.

Pinnacle wins my award for worst map ever put into a Halo game. It wasn't this bad before, but with Reach.... ugh. Awful spawns, awful weapon placement, unbalanced and everything.

Striker

timetokill said:
Atom is a pretty bad map (I just spend the entire thing DMR/NRing from the rooftops) but it's definitely better than Pinnacle.

Pinnacle wins my award for worst map ever put into a Halo game. It wasn't this bad before, but with Reach.... ugh. Awful spawns, awful weapon placement, unbalanced and everything.
zxplb4.jpg

Plus there's many others in Halo 3 that had ridiculous spawning (though, I'm not sure why people harp on bad spawns; Bungie hasn't had a great spawn method for, well, ever), awful weapon placement/additions, and hidious sightlines. Or, simply, not very fun to play for slayer or flag/bomb. I'd like to list all the maps I would place below Pinnacle/Ascension, but I would just be beating a dead horse.

Striker said:
zxplb4.jpg

Plus there's many others in Halo 3 that had ridiculous spawning (though, I'm not sure why people harp on bad spawns; Bungie hasn't had a great spawn method for, well, ever), awful weapon placement/additions, and hidious sightlines. Or, simply, not very fun to play for slayer or flag/bomb. I'd like to list all the maps I would place below Pinnacle/Ascension, but I would just be beating a dead horse.

Well Cliffhanger/Atom are below Pinnacle in my opinion. I've played AR/pistol start on Pinnacle and it's at least tolerable.

A lot of their smaller maps from previous games aren't terrible but aren't awesome either, a lot of them have some sort of nagging flaw. Hell I'll just go through them, these are of course my opinions so feel free to be all "aww hell naw."

Halo 3

Blackout: was supposed to be lockout but grenades caught in awkward ways due to different textures.

Cold Storage: feels like a maze.

Construct: Lifts. Nothing but lifts.

Epitaph: lot of running around outside, another maze.

Foundry: Some versions of this map were well made (like ones without the back area to hide bombs/balls).

Ghost Town: another maze like map that didn't really have a central focus.

Guardian: not the fault of the map but it always had gametypes with far too many people so it ended up being cramped. Should really be 4-6 and even 6 is pushing it but certainly not 8.

High Ground: just not a well balanced map.

Isolation: Ugh. This one just had lots of issues I don't know where to start.

Narrows: Best way to describe narrows is one game right when we all spawned, I tossed a plasma all the way to the other side and stuck someone. This one actually suffers from the exact opposite of maze-issue in that it's too damn predictable where someone is coming from.

Snowbound: Shotgun camping underneath. Getting sniped/lasered on top. So fun.

That sounds like all of them from h3 but the Pit and Heretic were pretty good.

Halo 2

Ascension: Never been a fan of this power weapon control map.

Burial Mounds: I know it's not small but they always had 4v4s on this vast piece of fail anyway.

Colossus: Wasn't terrible game play wise but the spawns were god awful, especially if someone was an excellent sniper.

Desolation: meh.

Elongation: Another one that probably should have been 4-6 players instead of 8.

Foundation: Zombies was the only gametype that made sense on this map.

Gemini: Not terrible but it was one of those lulzy chaotic ones everytime I played it.

Relic: Bit too big for 4v4, yet again another one in which you were tasked with going objectives with a small number of people on a relatively large map.

The maps that worked for what they were, would be Beaver Creek, Ivory Tower, Lockout, Midship, Sanctuary, and Warlock.

Top Bottom