• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Oozer3993 said:
Very first frame upon respawning in an MLG game a couple days ago:

uQq8y.png

This is the reason I want an explanation of why dash isn't up right when you spawn. It's not like MLG gametypes have improved spawning, so for dash to be delayed upon spawn is just stupid.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Devolution said:
This is the reason I want an explanation of why dash isn't up right when you spawn. It's not like MLG gametypes have improved spawning, so for dash to be delayed upon spawn is just stupid.

yeah, i find the lack of sprint at spawn bewildering and frustrating. is there a justification for it, or just a change for the sake of changing things?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Devolution said:
The MLG maps are all pretty small. I would imagine that if you could sprint off of your spawn your chances of stopping flags and bombs would increase a good amount. You could make it across the map in just a few seconds. Your whole team is dead, they're running the flag, it gives them a well deserved chance to get that flag far.

Anybody have any idea how possible and/or likely it is that we could have Firefight mode support for some of Reach's multiplayer maps? Like say the Noble maps?

Ramirez

op_ivy said:
yeah, i find the lack of sprint at spawn bewildering and frustrating. is there a justification for it, or just a change for the sake of changing things?

Because being able to sprint right back to where you were just at is stupid, not to mention stopping flags and such. It dumbs down the gameplay, and makes fights on small maps seem like a zerg rush in vanilla Reach.

Tashi0106 said:
I would imagine that if you could sprint off of your spawn your chances of stopping flags and bombs would increase a good amount. You could make it across the map in just a few seconds. Your whole team is dead, they're running the flag, it gives them a well deserved chance to get that flag far.

Yes but a well managed team should be able to deal with that. If they have proper map control dash on spawn should be a non-issue. Like I said before, MLG didn't exactly improve (not that they necessarily could) on the spawn mechanics, so it seems more fair to me to allow for dash right on spawn. Yesterday some guy was sniping me on spawn numerous times (it was countdown), and he was getting away with it because I couldn't run away as soon as possible.

Ramirez said:
Because being able to sprint right back to where you were just at is stupid, not to mention stopping flags and such. It dumbs down the gameplay, and makes fights on small maps seem like a zerg rush in vanilla Reach.

See above.

Also if I were making MLG variants I'd only have one nade on spawn.

Hey You

NullPointer said:
Anybody have any idea how possible and/or likely it is that we could have Firefight mode support for some of Reach's multiplayer maps? Like say the Noble maps?
Probably not very likely. Wouldn't Bungie have to program the AI to play on the map or something?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Miggytronz

Mikasangelos said:
That is crazy, though i think hes boosting some games.

http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/gamestats.aspx?gameid=378455199&player=HLG Tangerine

alot of his games are BTB

Yeah he has firefight games in which it looks like he just leaves the game cycling and doesn't even play. Cause look at how many deaths he has.

And most of his game history is Score Attack and Firefight. I don't like to proclaim he's not having fun but playing FF/Score Attack for like 8 hours straight gets old at least for me.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Devolution said:
Yes but a well managed team should be able to deal with that. If they have proper map control dash on spawn should be a non-issue. Like I said before, MLG didn't exactly improve (not that they necessarily could) on the spawn mechanics, so it seems more fair to me to allow for dash right on spawn. Yesterday some guy was sniping me on spawn numerous times (it was countdown), and he was getting away with it because I couldn't run away as soon as possible.

You can easily escape pressure with sprint if you could do it off your respawn. It would be so difficult to kill guys on their spawn. Far far far from a non issue. If some guy was sniping on your spawn on countdown then there's nothing wrong with the game. Spawn trapping is a huge part of MLG. The only problem with the spawn system is that you can't directly influence spawns with your body, grenades or gunfire. It's happened to each of us I know. You have a guy spawn right in front of your face just a few feet away. That shit was soooooo rare in Halo 3. I don't know how that guy kept spawn sniping you on Countdown. That's a tough map to do it on as there are multiple levels and many different locations to spawn. Sounds like they had "proper map control" on you.

edit: My friend is trying to get on Reach right now but he's getting the xbox is not reading that the disc is in there. It just has the button to open the tray, not launch the game. It worked last night. Any tips or tricks to help him out?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Tashi0106 said:
You can easily escape pressure with sprint if you could do it off your respawn. It would be so difficult to kill guys on their spawn. Far far far from a non issue. If some guy was sniping on your spawn on countdown then there's nothing wrong with the game. Spawn trapping is a huge part of MLG. The only problem with the spawn system is that you can't directly influence spawns with your body, grenades or gunfire. It's happened to each of us I know. You have a guy spawn right in front of your face just a few feet away. That shit was soooooo rare in Halo 3. I don't know how that guy kept spawn sniping you on Countdown. That's a tough map to do it on as there are multiple levels and many different locations to spawn. Sounds like they had "proper map control" on you.

edit: My friend is trying to get on Reach right now but he's getting the xbox is not reading that the disc is in there. It just has the button to open the tray, not launch the game. It worked last night. Any tips or tricks to help him out?

It appears to be a common issue tashi, unfortunately the solution appears to be 18004myxbox.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Tashi0106 said:
WTF are they gonna tell you though? I'm sure the shit they tell you to do (troubleshooting methods) is out there on the internet. It worked last night, it's gotta work again right?

Dunno bud, it seems to be a wide spread enough problem though, skip to urk's post on page 35.

Urk said:
Yes. They may not be able to supply you with an immediate resolution, and each case may require a different support approach, but no matter the case or ultimate resolution, you should be calling 1-800-4-MY-XBOX, registering a support claim, and recording your case ID.

I know it sucks to buy a game and not be able to play it. Please bear with us.

Apparently it's a hardware issue.

Devolution said:
Also if I were making MLG variants I'd only have one nade on spawn.
Probably my biggest issue with MLG, though I haven't played much of it (in fact, I haven't played Reach in 11 days). No-sprint on spawn is fine.

Tashi0106 said:
SWAT on Sword Base is a perfect example of this flaw. Not infrequently, I'm on the top floor near the yellow lift. I walk near the stairs and dudes start spawning there. I've gotten double/ triple kills in many games because it kept spawning Reds right in my crosshairs.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Tashi0106 said:

I have the same problem with my 360 with multiple games. I just eject and reinsert the game till it finally works. I figure it is only a matter of time till my 360 can't read anything anymore.

GhaleonEB

I'm doing some more sorting though the Challenges to date in Excel, and noticed this one from October:

Score 10,000 points in any Campaign mission without dying.​

I'd been saying the Challenges don't seem to support multiple objectives, but this is an example of what I didn't think was possible. I'd love to see more variants of this type, having to complete a mission in X time without dying, or something like that. There's a lot of potential for really interesting ones in Campaign especially.

zumphry

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
<3 Merg. Appreciate the rescue.

Here's me demonstrating how to spend 30 DMR rounds trying to headshot a Brute at close range. I actually thought my DMR was broken. :lol

In the background, Zayne is destroying an entire pack of dudes and I'm dancing with this one guy.

:lol :lol

Don't remember if you commented on that one Brute or not.

Devolution said:
Ran into some armor locking heroes, almost lost but then Barrow and Dani out armorlocked their armorlocking so we won.

Bungie should put armor lock in my armor lock so I can armor lock while I armor lock.

How many Armor Locks does it take to get to the center of a Armor Lock Pop?

feel

Tashi0106 said:
So dumb. I'll bet that they try it tomorrow and it works. We're just gonna play Halo 3 now lol
no, not "lol"

if anything, playing Reach while Halo 3 still works is "lol"

neoism

Awesome great challenges... I haven't played firefight in while.. its great to have a little bit more incentive to play it this week. :)

Just my regularly scheduled posting of "When will my spartan update on Bungie.net?".

It'd make a fine xmas present Bungie. Just sayin'

And now back to your regularly scheduled Reach chat.

NullPointer said:
Just my regularly scheduled posting of "When will my spartan update on Bungie.net?".

It'd make a fine xmas present Bungie. Just sayin'

And now back to your regularly scheduled Reach chat.

I just want some word it's still being worked on or that it'll never work. Just some closure please!

Grimm Fandango said:
I just want some word it's still being worked on or that it'll never work. Just some closure please!

Achronos posted on here that they have a fix, but they are waiting till they are sure it won't break anything else to roll it up. Probably early in the new year, as no one in their right mind is going to update a website 5 days before christmas.

Snow-ver kill is ruining my plans tonight. I hereby declare tonight Bregmann Halo Night! Feel free to add me/friend me/whateverthekidscallitnow me. Will be wasting my life for as long as my internet connection and mental stability hold up.

MrBig

electricpirate said:
Achronos posted on here that they have a fix, but they are waiting till they are sure it won't break anything else to roll it up. Probably early in the new year, as no one in their right mind is going to update a website 5 days before christmas.
Ya, they're probably going to wait till the new Christmas population dies down before updating anything.

pakkit said:
Good games, HaloGAF. Thanks for not booting my friend. :lol
Which one were you? o_O

Good games indeed though. We had a nice streak going. Someone seemingly recognised us from Gaf so we (I) teabagged them.

electricpirate said:
That would work for me. Some kind of timeline is better than none.

Top Bottom