• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Grimm Fandango said:
Yeah I think the game is far along enough now to expect AL at every moment in Multiteam, especially Elite Slayer. I don't mind so much anymore.

Unfortunately, my first game of multi-team today was Elite Slayer, and it went straight downhill from there. :/

GhaleonEB said:
Going into the Firefight playlist and getting Rocketfight or Sniperfight is like going into Team Slayer and getting Griffball as the most voted option. They should not be in the same playlist.

I really want to play Firefight. But I can't. :(
Yeah Sniperfight and Rocketfight do get old after a while. Me and my buddies usually vote for normal Firefight when we get tired of the other two modes.

It's much better to go into matchmaking with at least two other people- so the votes are stacked in your favor. (obviously)

If you want, you can add me and whenever you want to do classic Firefight, I'll join you and play a few games with you. I usually don't play normal matchmaking unless I have to for the challenges- or unless my friends are online.
Gamertag: Radiating Chaos
Oh and if any of you would like to add me (probably not :lol)- I don't mind, the only Gaffer I have on my friendslist is Sai-kun.

Ran into some armor locking heroes, almost lost but then Barrow and Dani out armorlocked their armorlocking so we won.

Bungie should put armor lock in my armor lock so I can armor lock while I armor lock.

Gui_PT

Blastin' and Relaxin' - 2000cR

Kill 180 enemies in any game mode in Reach.

Gunslinger - 1000cR

Kill 40 enemies in multiplayer Matchmaking.

Demon - 2500cR

Kill 20 Elites in Firefight Matchmaking.

Home Field Advantage - 1800cR

Win 4 games in multiplayer Matchmaking.

And the Weekly:

Ride the Wave - 4000cR

Complete 100 Waves in Firefight Matchmaking.

Sweet weekly.

Gui_PT

Blue Ninja said:
Not really, it's a 100 waves, not a 100 rounds. Unless we get a lot of Firefight challenges this week, I think 100k's a bit steep. :p

Yeah, I realized that as soon as I started playing. Was about to edit my post.

Still an OK weekly, imo.

Gui_PT

xxjuicesxx said:
So bout how many games of FF is that?

Every round has 5 waves. So if you want to do it on your own, it's 20 games of score attack.

If you want to do it with other people, I believe you'll have 15 rounds. So about 7 FF games.

Edit: what they said

GhaleonEB

I like the Dailies, but I did a double-take at this:

Code:
Date            Challenge                                               cR
18-Dec-10	Kill 40 Elites in Firefight Matchmaking. 		1200
20-Dec-10	Kill 20 Elites in Firefight Matchmaking. 		2500

The market value of Elites is rather volatile.

Nice to have another FF Weekly Challenge. :D

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Nice challenges. I played MP FF for the first time since they updated it to three sets yesterday and had a great time. In one of the games there were just two of us and it was brilliant fun, so hard and yet with infinite livs not a chore at all. The lag is sometimes crushing but when it works it's a really fun mode. I wanted to play more of it tonight, now I have an excuse to :D

Good to see a firefight weekly, even though it's a bit low on the Cr. Finally got my gold visor, so now I just buy stuff I don't want. :-b

Bit LTTP on this, but really happy to hear about the upcoming changes to The Cage. It's awesome to see that Bungie is doing all the can to keep things running relatively smoothly for us.

And yay, short work week!!!!

Arnie

Just finished Exodus in my Legendary run through, I love how Bungie introduce the Brutes to break up the pacing and provide a fresh enemy for you to face midway through the game. They are ectually quite fun to fight in moderation, even if they are a tad, "Charge and roar", although I suppose that's part of their charm.

Playing through Long Night of Solace last night made me realise how amazing Reach's campaign really was, that mission alone is one of the best in the entire franchise. From fighting on the beach to the transition into space, defending Anchor 9 to disabling the Covenant Cruisers engines to finally boarding and sabotaging the ship from the inside, not to mention an emotional farewell to my favourite member of Noble Team. Bravo Bungie.

Going to have a break before I crack on with these dailies. I can smell the sweet repose of Lieutenant Colonel.

MrBig

Arnie said:
Just finished Exodus in my Legendary run through, I love how Bungie introduce the Brutes to break up the pacing and provide a fresh enemy for you to face midway through the game. They are ectually quite fun to fight in moderation, even if they are a tad, "Charge and roar", although I suppose that's part of their charm.

Playing through Long Night of Solace last night made me realise how amazing Reach's campaign really was, that mission alone is one of the best in the entire franchise. From fighting on the beach to the transition into space, defending Anchor 9 to disabling the Covenant Cruisers engines to finally boarding and sabotaging the ship from the inside, not to mention an emotional farewell to my favourite member of Noble Team. Bravo Bungie.

Going to have a break before I crack on with these dailies. I can smell the sweet repose of Lieutenant Colonel.
LNoS was really good but the area inside the ship could have been much longer and more fun rather than just having to press two buttons.

Exodus is the best looking level in the whole series. I wish there were more areas in that environment.

Miggytronz

weekly and daily will more than likely bring me back to play Reach. I havent played in like 1 week. Been grinding Battlefield 1943(such a fun ass game) with some friends this week.

Jedeye Sniv said:
Nice challenges. I played MP FF for the first time since they updated it to three sets yesterday and had a great time. In one of the games there were just two of us and it was brilliant fun, so hard and yet with infinite livs not a chore at all. The lag is sometimes crushing but when it works it's a really fun mode. I wanted to play more of it tonight, now I have an excuse to :D
Wait, they upgraded it to three sets?

I have a question...

I am not a giant Halo/shooter fan to the point where I have to get the game but I miss shooters enough so that I'm interested in this one :lol

I'm not a terrible player but I wouldn't consider myself good either. I'm borderline casual-competitive with these kinds of games and plan to play it kinda socially with roommates or the occasional visitor, but reading through this thread, I get the impression that this game's a lot more complicated than I thought and that I'll be in for a rude awakening/get my ass raped with no lube in every match I'm in. Which would ultimately be more frustrating and not fun for me.

So...is that would I would be in for if I got the game? Or is the matchmaking really solid?

MrBig

Dax01 said:
Interesting Weekly, but I feel it should be more than 4,000 cR.
You'll get 40k cr going for it.

ph33nix said:
I have a question...

I am not a giant Halo/shooter fan to the point where I have to get the game but I miss shooters enough so that I'm interested in this one :lol

I'm not a terrible player but I wouldn't consider myself good either. I'm borderline casual-competitive with these kinds of games and plan to play it kinda socially with roommates or the occasional visitor, but reading through this thread, I get the impression that this game's a lot more complicated than I thought and that I'll be in for a rude awakening/get my ass raped with no lube in every match I'm in. Which would ultimately be more frustrating and not fun for me.

So...is that would I would be in for if I got the game? Or is the matchmaking really solid?
You'll be fine going into matchmaking. It uses the True Skill system and matches you with people of similar skill so that you won't be constantly getting pounded. It'll take a few days for it to figure out your skill (if you don't play a whole lot.) Stick to playlists like Big Team Battle and Team Slayer and then try out MLG if you want to have some different gameplay styles (don't worry its not as scary as it sounds, all the kids in that playlist are terrible.)

ph33nix said:
I have a question...

Matchmaking is pretty damned solid IMO. There are enough people playing the game that refining your search to 'skill' works pretty well. You'll get the occasional ass stomping, but I've found Reach to match you as close to your skill level as possible*.

And if MM doesn't end up being your thing, the campaign is arguably the best of the series and Firefight is incredible fun.

* - speaking of Team Slayer and Rumble Pit, specifically.

That's some good stuff, thanks guys. Just one more thing and I hope this isn't an insult, but this game doesn't have any issues that make you guys regret playing sometimes does it? :lol (for example spawning issues, gun abuse, etc.) I remember I loved the beta but I haven't had time to explore the actual game since. I have a history with shooters (especially COD) where after a while the game just becomes annoying.

Unless I get back shittacular answers I'm leaning towards picking it up anyways

ph33nix said:
That's some good stuff, thanks guys. Just one more thing and I hope this isn't an insult, but this game doesn't have any issues that make you guys regret playing sometimes does it? :lol (for example spawning issues, gun abuse, etc.) I remember I loved the beta but I haven't had time to explore the actual game since. I have a history with shooters (especially COD) where after a while the game just becomes annoying.

There's some spawning issues, like pretty much every Halo game. There's no "one gun to rule them all" outside of the defined power weapons, which you are fighting to control all the time.

I think the thing that can easily become most annoying is Armour lock, but if you stick to Arena or MLG playlists you won't ever see it.

I positively rage when playing occasionally, but that's mostly due to my own sucking.

Yeah, prepare yourself for some serious Armor Lock abuse, especially in Elite Slayer. I actually liked the gametype in the beta, but the inclusion of one simple AA just sucked all the fun out of it.

The problem I have with the FF challenges is that there are matchmaking-only. Firefight has such a amazing customization capabilities. But it looks like that Bungie aren't trying to promote them :/

Hypertrooper said:
The problem I have with the FF challenges is that there are matchmaking-only. Firefight has such a amazing customization capabilities. But it looks like that Bungie aren't trying to promote them :/
I'd like to see a FF Grabbag playlist: Rocket Fight, Blind Hunters, Elite Sword Duels. Short matches, but crazy options.

I'd definitely play that playlist as a palette cleanser/ relaxer.

Hypertrooper said:

I was really hoping that Bungie could make gametypes specifically for challenges. IE, so they could have Lars throw together some crazy challenge, like score attack mythic, but with only two lives, and the challenge would just be to finish the set. Then you could just click the challenge, it would set-up the game type, and you would play to see if you could complete it.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen anything that lets you do challenges along specific game types like that, which is pretty disappointing.

ShinAmano

electricpirate said:
I was really hoping that Bungie could make gametypes specifically for challenges. IE, so they could have Lars throw together some crazy challenge, like score attack mythic, but with only two lives, and the challenge would just be to finish the set. Then you could just click the challenge, it would set-up the game type, and you would play to see if you could complete it.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen anything that lets you do challenges along specific game types like that, which is pretty disappointing.
That would be awesome.

Ok so I was playing Invasion Slayer on Hemorrhage and my teammate spawned next to me. But I was in one of the caves. So he spawned inside the wall, dies, and I get a god damn betrayal for it. Are you fucking kidding me?

Grimm Fandango said:
Ok so I was playing Invasion Slayer on Hemorrhage and my teammate spawned next to me. But I was in one of the caves. So he spawned inside the wall, dies, and I get a god damn betrayal for it. Are you fucking kidding me?
28jcwma.gif

GhaleonEB

electricpirate said:

Yeah. That's the kind of stuff I was hoping the Challenges would be about. That and the multiple completion conditions (finish campaign mission in 30 minutes on Legendary, etc.) Seems the system can't accommodate them, though.

Kuroyume said:
Would really like to see a video of that... :p

My betrayal? I can upload it if you want but I has no Bungie Pro.

In Firefight just now, I had a pretty good Blame Stosh moment where some Banshee debris killed me, resulting in a suicide.

Striker

Grimm Fandango said:
Bungie Spawns™.

ph33nix said:

No, none of those make me stop playing. For me, simply, the game is more fun to play with friends/teammates I know. Usually people are too busy working or just not online. There's a decent amount of maps right now that is out to help spread variety among each playlist. The DLC just came out nearly three weeks ago. You only need to have the DLC if you want to play in the specified DLC playlist, otherwise none are locking non-owners out.

Arnie

Got all the dailies, might be able to get the weekly by the weeks end, that Elite challenge was fun to get in Rocketfight.

GhaleonEB said:
I like the Dailies, but I did a double-take at this:

Code:
Date            Challenge                                               cR
18-Dec-10	Kill 40 Elites in Firefight Matchmaking. 		1200
20-Dec-10	Kill 20 Elites in Firefight Matchmaking. 		2500

The market value of Elites is rather volatile.

Nice to have another FF Weekly Challenge. :D
It fluctuates almost as much as Halo: Reach Legendary version price. BOOM.

1285842737_boxing-ring-faceplant.gif

Top Bottom