• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Hm...in the foreward of the reissue, it says that Cortana's "eventual fate, with a little geographical tinkering by Bungie, is also illuminated in [Reach]." Not sure what the guy who wrote the foreward means by that (the book doesn't say who wrote the foreward), but judging by the rest of it, the book seems to have been rewritten to accommodate the changes Halo: Reach made to the Reach storyline. I'll definitely be re-reading the whole novel after I'm finished with the Adjunct part. The foreward says that many players were left with a lots of questions after finishing Reach (I know I was), and out of all the novels, First Strike is "the one that answers the most, at least as those questions relate to Halo 1, 2 and Reach."

Dax01 said:
Hm...in the foreward of the reissue, it says that Cortana's "eventual fate, with a little geographical tinkering by Bungie, is also illuminated in [Reach]." Not sure what the guy who wrote the foreward means by that (the book doesn't say who wrote the foreward), but judging by the rest of it, the book seems to have been rewritten to accommodate the changes Halo: Reach made to the Reach storyline. I'll definitely be re-reading the whole novel after I'm finished with the Adjunct part. The foreward says that many players were left with a lots of questions after finishing Reach (I know I was), and out of all the novels, First Strike is "the one that answers the most, at least as those questions relate to Halo 1, 2 and Reach."
Awesome! Thanks.

I've re-read the majority of the Fall of Reach and I've found almost none to little changes.

Wizman23

Banned
Alienshogun said:
Nope, I still haven't gotten a jackpot, and I haven't quit.

I have never quit once in Reach including Score Attack and still have not gotten the big ass jackpot. I think the the not quitting equals big jackpots is just as much bullshit as the Legendary edition being rare.

GhaleonEB

Wizman23 said:
I have never quit once in Reach including Score Attack and still have not gotten the big ass jackpot. I think the the not quitting equals big jackpots is just as much bullshit as the Legendary edition being rare.
There's a Legendary ending? D'oh!

Still no jackpot here, though I have a pristine quit history, one lag-out a few weeks ago aside. Eventually, I'm sure.

I should have the Weekly almost knocked off by the time I'm done with the Courtyard Challenge today. I have to say, it would be a lot more fun if it were just general Firefight, so I could break up the Score Attack games and romp in general matchmaking, but since there's just a 1 in 4 chance of running into it there, I'll stick to Score Attack. Probably a rotation of regular, Grunpocalypse and Sniper Attack. I knocked off two before work this morning to make the evening marathon a bit shorter.

equil

Wizman23 said:

Same here. I've never been booted, lagged out, or quit.
Still no jackpot.

Pete Rock said:
Needs more Rocket Race, a playlist cannot come soon enough. I don't mind running parties of 6+ to vote it through in Multiteam consecutively, but that's a temporary solution to a problem, not an answer.

So YOU'RE the one!!!! Yes, Rocket Race needs a playlist. My GOD does it need a playlist. Shouldn't we be seeing some kind of Fiesta/Rocket Race/Zanyfun playlist?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Wizman23 said:

I would agree with you.

GhaleonEB said:
There's a Legendary ending?

Still no jackpot here, though I have a pristine quit history, one lag-out a few weeks ago aside. Eventually, I'm sure.

I should have the Weekly almost knocked off by the time I'm done with the Courtyard Challenge today. I have to say, it would be a lot more fun if it were just general Firefight, so I could break up the Score Attack games and romp in general matchmaking, but since there's just a 1 in 4 chance of running into it there, I'll stick to Score Attack. Probably a rotation of regular, Grunpocalypse and Sniper Attack. I knocked off two before work this morning to make the evening marathon a bit shorter.

You misread, he said legendary EDITION being rare.

I think he's onto something with it being a bunch of bullshit though.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Alienshogun said:
I would agree with you.

I got the jackpot in the next game after I purposely quit out of a matchmaking BTB game. You may be on to something. ;)

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Dani said:
I got the jackpot in the next game after I purposely quit out of a matchmaking BTB game. You may be on to something. ;)

I might do it, before I would get even 777s, now I'm lucky to get a 300 slot bonus.

On that note, I'm going to be getting on in about 15 minutes if anyone cares to join me.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Grimm Fandango said:
Is the jackpot 777 cR? I've gotten it once and that's only like an extra multiplayer match in cR.

No, it's in the thousands.

777 used to be the highest until they made "huge jackpots."

Since then I haven't even seen a 777, and I haven't quit.

I had the weirdest dream.

343 Industries new Halo game was about the Forerunner/Flood War. And it was an open-world FPS like Rage, where you could talk to NPCs and stuff. :lol

GhaleonEB

Alienshogun said:
I would agree with you.

Heh, you're right. And I kind of agree. I think there are a host of knobs and levers available to discourage quitting - and reward not quitting. But a few minutes time out and a random (seemly very rare) cR jackpot strike me as odd choices.

Personally, I'd like to the Reach economy - cR - leveraged further. Add a fractional multiplier to Game Complete bonuses for streaks without quits (1.1x for 10 games, 1.2x for 20 games, up to 2x max, as an example), and display that reward to the player. And a heavy cR deduction for quitting - "You're about to lose 2,000 cR! Are you sure you want to quit?"). And idling, for that matter.

We've seen how much gaining cR motivates players to do all sorts of stuff. Leverage that to motivate proper behavior. But given where the game is post-release, those kind of incentives are probably not going to happen given the design of the Ranks.

ShinAmano

GhaleonEB said:
Heh, you're right. And I kind of agree. I think there are a host of knobs and levers available to discourage quitting - and reward not quitting. But a few minutes time out and a random (seemly very rare) cR jackpot strike me as odd choices.

Personally, I'd like to the Reach economy - cR - leveraged further. Add a fractional multiplier to Game Complete bonuses for streaks without quits (1.1x for 10 games, 1.2x for 20 games, up to 2x max, as an example), and display that reward to the player. And a heavy cR deduction for quitting - "You're about to lose 2,000 cR! Are you sure you want to quit?"). And idling, for that matter.

We've seen how much gaining cR motivates players to do all sorts of stuff. Leverage that to motivate proper behavior. But given where the game is post-release, those kind of incentives are probably not going to happen given the design of the Ranks.
I like that idea.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Uh, WTF, Reach just reset my character (not my credits or rank) but my spartan needed to be reselected all armor pieces and everything, same with the emblem. It's showing I don't have the noble packs, and it's showing I haven't completed any of the game.

I can't select anything but the intro mission, it's like I never played campaign.

Louis Wu

GhaleonEB said:
HIRE GHALEON

So... I enjoy Tempest, but I cannot unsee this:
270px-Legion.png

Halo-Reach-Tempest.jpg

Alienshogun said:
Uh, WTF, Reach just reset my character (not my credits or rank) but my spartan needed to be reselected all armor pieces and everything, same with the emblem. It's showing I don't have the noble packs, and it's showing I haven't completed any of the game.

I can't select anything but the intro mission, it's like I never played campaign.
Had this happen to me a few weeks ago. Looked around and couldn't find a cause or fix for it. Pretty annoying but it gave me a reason to do another Legendary Campaign so it wasn't so bad.

Wow was I bored today.

fxf8t4.jpg

Alienshogun said:

Sounds like a hard drive problem.

Louis Wu said:
Ride the Wave - 4000cR

Complete 100 Waves in Firefight Matchmaking.

Wow, too FF heavy today between this and the courtyard challenge. Oh well, makes players like Ghaleon happy and it's best to change up challenges to appease most of the fanbase. As long as they never make a rocket race challenge *shudders*

Louis Wu said:
HIRE GHALEON
Yes and no lol. He would be a great hire no doubt about that, but the community would lose a valuable player to urkdom and dream crushing. We are already feeling the loss of urk, cocop and voc :/

And he would say whatever MS/Activision wanted him to say (Legendary/Collector Edition is RARE)

Gui_PT

GhaleonEB said:

That is an amazing idea.

Hoping someone from Bungie is reading this post and will consider these measures or at least similar ones in one of the coming updates.

Bolded for great justice.

GhaleonEB

Squall ASF said:
Wow, too FF heavy today between this and the courtyard challenge. Oh well, makes players like Ghaleon happy and it's best to change up challenges to appease most of the fanbase. As long as they never make a rocket race challenge *shudders*
The Weekly Challenges are on a regular cycle between Campaign, Multiplayer and Firefight. And the Daily Challenges tend to reinforce motivation to complete them - so a FF Weekly means more FF Dailies this week, while the MP Weekly last week meant more MP Dailies.

The Courtyard one does feel almost like a Weekly, though. It's a lot of Score Attack, and I love the mode. At least it's on Courtyard and not Holdout or Waterfront.

My brother just spawned into nothingness while is battle bro was in the tunnel on Breakpoint :lol

I play a lot of splitscreen. I could have hit the jackpot many times but it will NEVER show me wat I make from the slot machine. I never get a breakdown. I only ever catch a glimpse at the end of the match but that isn't even near the final tally. I never see progress of a challenge until AFTER a match. So many visual cues being totally lost on me.

Couldn't they have put credits earned on the Carnage Report with a breakdown of the individual categories in each column followed by a total? Then upload them to bnet for the stat junkies. In a perfect world perhaps.

GhaleonEB said:
The Weekly Challenges are on a regular cycle between Campaign, Multiplayer and Firefight. And the Daily Challenges tend to reinforce motivation to complete them - so a FF Weekly means more FF Dailies this week, while the MP Weekly last week meant more MP Dailies.

The Courtyard one does feel almost like a Weekly, though. It's a lot of Score Attack, and I love the mode. At least it's on Courtyard and not Holdout or Waterfront.

What's wrong with Holdout? Along with Courtyard, it's one of the easier maps for Sniper Attack.

GhaleonEB

Grimm Fandango said:
What's wrong with Holdout? Along with Courtyard, it's one of the easier maps for Sniper Attack.
I like it for regular FF, but I've never enjoyed a game of Score Attack on it. Just too compartmentalized for my tastes. (I've only played it once in FF because it's always vetoed - and that time was because Waterfront got vetoed and Holdout was the second one up.)

GhaleonEB said:

That's true. I guess I was just really surprised with the Courtyard one which indeed is like a weekly because not many people would care to play that many score attacks in one day. That's a lot of time. Then again, this is coming from someone that works all day and can't play until later night before bed anyway.

Courtyard is a good choice, playing sniper score attack on that map is one of my top preferences as it's easy to work on the perfectionist commendation there. Just sucks that you'd have to veto every cycle until that map shows up every match haha

GhaleonEB

Squall ASF said:
That's true. I guess I was just really surprised with the Courtyard one which indeed is like a weekly because not many people would care to play that many score attacks in one day. That's a lot of time. Then again, this is coming from someone that works all day and can't play until later night before bed anyway.
I'm in the same situation. My playtime is generally between 8 and 10 PM on week nights. (Unless I pull what I did last night, which was to game until nearly 1:00 in the morning. Whoops!) That was partly why I made a dent in it this morning before work.

The Challenges have me by the balls. I like to see that little bar move forward, and when it resets, I want to make it move forward again. :lol

GhaleonEB said:

Just thought of this I don't think an across-the-board cR reduction for quitting would work. If it's possible, the reduction should be proportional to the player's level; i.e., a general would lose more credits from quitting than a colonel.

I mean, if I really wanted to quite, losing 2,000 credits wouldn't make me think twice. I can earn that much in one game anyway, and I have over 1,155,000 saved up.

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
Just thought of this I don't think an across-the-board cR reduction for quitting would work. If it's possible, the reduction should be proportional to the player's level; i.e., a general would lose more credits from quitting than a colonel.

I mean, if I really wanted to quite, losing 2,000 credits wouldn't make me think twice. I can earn that much in one game anyway, and I have over 1,155,000 saved up.
That was an example. I agree any penalty should scale to your Rank, since that's what the cR rewards do. Otherwise the penalty seems smaller and smaller over time.

And also, show a "Game Quit" screen after, with the bar moving backward and cR being deducted.

GhaleonEB said:
I'm in the same situation. My playtime is generally between 8 and 10 PM on week nights. (Unless I pull what I did last night, which was to game until nearly 1:00 in the morning. Whoops!) That was partly why I made a dent in it this morning before work.

The Challenges have me by the balls. I like to see that little bar move forward, and when it resets, I want to make it move forward again. :lol

Doesn't it suck when you stay up too late? I always feel foolish and irresponsible. Damn that Halo crack! I'm so terrible about battling my OCD for polishing off a challenge or going up a rank when I'm so close :|

I'm an RPG whore so you can bet I'm addicted to earning XP! err I mean credits!

Gui_PT said:
And an animation of your spartan being pissed off.

Better yet, display a spartan t-bagging YOUR customized spartan with a "get pooped on noob!" chat bubble.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Nocks, I'll be on in a bit, going to get some dinner.

By the way, if you guys see me on and not playing Halo, feel free to invite me to game, I'm typically just burning time until more people get on since Halo is more fun with friends.

Major Williams said:
We are already feeling the loss of urk

I'm pretty sure we could come up with some Chief/Arbiter slash fiction on our own if we really had to.

Come to think of it: maybe there was a Legendary ending for Reach written by Urk and Microsoft made Bungie cut it?

Alienshogun said:
Nocks, I'll be on in a bit, going to get some dinner.

By the way, if you guys see me on and not playing Halo, feel free to invite me to game, I'm typically just burning time until more people get on since Halo is more fun with friends.
Sorry man, just came off a 10 game spree (no losses) and was totally put to shame on this game. The guys were loud and obnoxious and had complete control on the map.

Great games with Barrow Roll while he was with us.

I just played MLG settings for the first time last night.

I loved the mode and it really does focus on the skill of the player. Needless to say I did great on my first 2 matches and terrible on the last one once true skill caught up with me :lol

The BR was so much more fun to play with on MLG settings though. DMR is really wonderful too, but the BR's burst was so much fun I realized.

Noticed a few things too, correct me if I'm wrong please!

- Charged PP shot does not take down all shields, still have ~15% of shields left.
- Nerfle seems not as powerful as in regular slayer
- Only weapons I saw: DMR, Nerfle, Pistol, PP, Snipe, Rockets, (I didn't see a shotgun, but I'm assuming they have it in?). Why wouldn't they include some of the other weapons?
- Player speed didn't seem changed either, nor did jump height.

I liked the new version of Sanctuary. Very clean, and much more reminiscent of the original.

Top Bottom