• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

squidhands said:
Pinnacle just needs to be retired. I played some SWAT magnums on it yesterday (great gametype, BTW), and it was just no fun in the slightest. Everyone just stayed on the edges of the map and waited for idiots to run up to them. I think I prefer playing The Cage to Pinnacle. The Cage may be crap, but at least it's new crap; not some rehashed version of a map I barely enjoyed in Halo 2. I don't quit out on games, but when Pinnacle is voted on every damned time it comes up I have to say that I can't really blame people who do.

I don't get the hate for the cage. It may not be the best map, but its a hell of a lot better than pinnacle
and asylum

Jinjo

Dani said:
Think about this. You've just spent $10 on new maps and so have your friends. You want o play these new maps and get as much value out of your purchase as possible during the first few weeks.

You boot up Reach and see your friends online playing Reach and join them. You now have the option of playing on the new maps exclusively for the evening - with a wide variety of gametypes with slayer and objective variants supported and a larger than normal party size.

Who in the right mind would ignore this option and say to their friends that they'd rather play on Spire and Boneyard?

If any one of the folks on my Friend's List suggested this, they have have a verbal kick up the arse.

If you really want to play Invasion: Breakpoint, gather a big as party as possible and head into Invasion and you'll get it. If you don't have that many friends, get your friends to invite their friends until you have a big enough party.

Either that or play in the DLC playlist like most other folks who have purchased the maps are doing and have some fun.

Alternatively - come to HaloGAF Customs on Saturday evening. We'll be running Invasion: Breakpoint fo' sure.

I wouldn't rather play Spire & Boneyard than the new maps. That's the point. I have to wade through the shitty maps in order to just have a taste of Invasion on Breakpoint. (Also I want to get that achievement to make my gamerscore be an equivalent of 5 again.:lol ) After a few tries and quits I give up and join the Noble playlist again. They should've just put in an Invasion on Breakpoint option in the Noble map pack hopper. Yesterday we went in with a party of 6 to try and get Breakpoint, but the game ended up giving us Invasion on Spire, because ONE person didn't have the map pack.

Speaking about quits, does anyone know how long the probation period lasts for?

Either way, there'll be a time when the DLC hopper won't be there. Hopefully that will improve the situation in the normal playlists, but I can only see this problem worsening the more map packs we get.

I would love to join your Halo Gaf night though, but I always have to work on saturday evening. Atleast in euro time.

I also have little to no real-life friends that play Reach and the one that does hasn't bought the map pack yet. :(

aesop

BlueScrote said:
I don't get the hate for the cage. It may not be the best map, but its a hell of a lot better than pinnacle
and asylum

Better than Asylum? What are you smoking?

BlueScrote said:
and asylum

Holy Blasphemy batman!

They should put the banshee back on pinnacle, with two snipers and a lock on rocket that shit would go down.

Then again, once one team gets 2 snipers, rockets, and a banshee, you are MEGA FUCKED.

Jinjo

electricpirate said:
You could get the laser one in firefight couldn't you?

Yeah, that works. Actually did it yesterday. Firefight on Glacier. Run to spartan laser. Wait until Grunts/Jackals come running towards you. Wait for it. Wait for it. All lined up? Fire! :lol You can easily get that medal with one spartan laser.

ShinAmano

xxjuicesxx said:
One level where you storm the beach has an infinite loop of dropships keep stealing their weapons and waste a lot of time?

I don't think you can get the Spartan Laser one, maybe on Paradiso BTB...
That makes sense for the infinite drop ships...as for the laser it is listed as a campaign medal...

aesop

electricpirate said:
Holy Blasphemy batman!

They should put the banshee back on pinnacle, with two snipers and a lock on rocket that shit would go down.

Then again, once one team gets 2 snipers, rockets, and a banshee, you are MEGA FUCKED.

I still don't understand why they felt the need to leave the banshee out of it. As you stated, there are plenty of counters for it.

aesop said:
Better than Asylum? What are you smoking?

Those are easily my two worst maps. I just get donged on constantly in asylum. With both maps I think it is a combination of sight lines and my arch-nemesis the sniper rifle (and the fact that theres two per map).

BlueScrote said:
and asylum
I can't go that far with you, man. :lol I do love Asylum, even if I haven't been able to play it yet in MM. Pinnacle and Ascension are the poorest asymmetrical offerings that's been produced in Halo IMO. There are really only a couple of spots apart from the insta-death middle that allow for any strafing room. Everything else is entirely too linear for my personal combat tastes. It's basically a triangle with a circle in the middle of it. Unless you like having your shields dropped immediately, you'll always stay on the fringes of the triangle, eliminating a large part of the map's use. I think it's pretty safe to say that if this design were thought up by some random forger, it would go virtually unnoticed.
The Cage suffers from a similar problem as Pinnacle, but at least it's sort of fun to learn the nuances of the map. A lot of my issues with The Cage (apart from the weird spawns) could be alleviated if the Bridge, XL's were flipped upside down and doubled in width. I remember way back with urk's Incompetent Cartographer, being told that his map didn't have enough "dance floor" but The Cage has the exact same problem. Too many lengthy, narrow pathways that connect to too few platform areas.

squidhands said:
I can't go that far with you, man. :lol I do love Asylum, even if I haven't been able to play it yet in MM. Pinnacle and Ascension are the poorest asymmetrical offerings that's been produced in Halo IMO. There are really only a couple of spots apart from the insta-death middle that allow for any strafing room. Everything else is entirely too linear for my personal combat tastes. It's basically a triangle with a circle in the middle of it. Unless you like having your shields dropped immediately, you'll always stay on the fringes of the triangle, eliminating a large part of the map's use. I think it's pretty safe to say that if this design were thought up by some random forger, it would go virtually unnoticed.
The Cage suffers from a similar problem as Pinnacle, but at least it's sort of fun to learn the nuances of the map. A lot of my issues with The Cage (apart from the weird spawns) could be alleviated if the Bridge, XL's were flipped upside down and doubled in width. I remember way back with urk's Incompetent Cartographer, being told that his map didn't have enough "dance floor" but The Cage has the exact same problem. Too many lengthy, narrow pathways that connect to too few platform areas.

A. Ascension/Pinnacle
I think I'll always have a soft spot for ascension/pinnacle for two reasons.

1. It was the first game of Halo 2 I ever played online. 1 flag, and I jacked that flag both rounds :). I still like it for 1 flag to this day.

2. In a college Halo 2 tournament, we qualified for the finals because I hit an EPIC stick on the banshee terrorizing our team to win the game.

B.
Pretty good analysis of the Cage.

I'd also add that, there aren't enough paths from the low area to the high area, both are fraught with danger, and the underside platform doesn't have much reason to exist. If there was (once again) more than two ways up from the bottom area, and a weapon better than the oh-so useless Plasma launcher it would help too. Actually, slayer pro plays better on that map for that reason alone.

There's some good things in the map, I like the drop down, and I like getting in that center structure to provide cover fire, but the rest of the map get's pretty miserable.

LosDaddie

Banned
Raide said:

Nice! I've been waiting for a new podcast. :D

Dani said:
Single Wield - 1250cR
Earn {requird_count} kills with small arms weapons in multiplayer Matchmaking.

More than a Handful - 1250cR
Kill 125 enemies in multiplayer Matchmaking.

Vengeance Found - 1150cR
Earn your 'Revenge' in a multiplayer Matchmaking game.

Five-time Champ - 2750cR
Win 5 games in multiplayer Matchmaking.

Great. I should be able to hit Lt. Colonel either tonight or tomorrow.

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
Hit 1,000 kills earlier today. :D
I'm at 80. w00t!

It's entirely logical that the week a map pack hits, the Challenges are all MP-focused. But I'm hoping next week has more of a mix.

Wheres all my GAF peeps? I just went 25-1 on Breakpoint (first time I played it) I'm in the dongzone, lets do this.

OK my last game was bullshit its pretty even we're down pretty much half the game then 3 team members quit so its 3v6 and I pull the win outta my ass 50-48. http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/gamestats.aspx?gameid=351335541&player=SometimesImEpic Yet that douchebag camper still gets his Perfection? HE LOST. You have to win to get the perfection you can't just camp in the back of your base and pick people off!

Spent a whole day I should've spent studying reaching Colonel. I've reached my goal. I'm only a few credits away from the credit cap, too, so I might as well call it a day.

ShinAmano

Blue Ninja said:
Spent a whole day I should've spent studying reaching Colonel. I've reached my goal. I'm only a few credits away from the credit cap, too, so I might as well call it a day.
What is the credit cap?

kylej

Banned
Booties said:
My favorite part is when you ogretwitched at the end.

I quickly remembered to ogre twitch as soon as that dude quit. Ogre twitches lend pro-ness and credibility to any clip.

Also, Annihilator is terrifying. Pretty sure you me soccerchick and Annihilator could go on a pretty good run against GAF. I'll bring the Adderall.

Kuroyume

Banned
aesop said:
I still don't understand why they felt the need to leave the banshee out of it. As you stated, there are plenty of counters for it.

BECAUSE IT'S RETARDED

The Banshee shouldn't be in multiplayer AT ALL as long as they keep the fuel rod cannon on it. Shit ruins Breakpoint.

ShinAmano

electricpirate said:
Yea, it's over a day. Not sure if that's a rolling 24 hours, or it's something that gets reset every night at a certain time.
Hmm...I know i cleared about 35k yesterday...was not aware there was a cap...

Hey You

Kuroyume said:
BECAUSE IT'S RETARDED

The Banshee shouldn't be in multiplayer AT ALL as long as they keep the fuel rod cannon on it. Shit ruins Breakpoint.
Yeah, the fuel rod cannon on it is waaaay overpowered.

aesop said:
The banshee didn't have the fuel rod in H2 MP iirc.

What I think Bungie should do, is remove the fuel rod and increase the plasma turret damage or speed.

aesop

Kuroyume said:
BECAUSE IT'S RETARDED

5KAoR.gif

Yeah, FR cannon shouldn't be in multiplayer, I agree with that. Why nerf the falcon but not the banshee?

Overheard in Arena:

"Man, do we vote for Boardwalk or do we vote for Cage? Which is worse?"
"I voted for Boardwalk, I hate Cage."
"Haha, only one vote for Cage."

GhaleonEB

Zeouterlimits said:
What I think Bungie should do, is remove the fuel rod and increase the plasma turret damage or speed.
What makes it even more powerful is that it now locks on to vehicles, both in the air and on the ground. On one of my first games on Hemhorrage I thought I dodged an FRG round by banking my Mongoose out of its trajectory. I had this horrible sinking feeling when the round curved and took me out anyways.

I agree it shouldn't be on Breakpoint, especially for the BTB game. One side spawns out on that open ice shelf area, where the Banshee can really destroy players before they have a chance to reach cover or obtain the counter vehicles. And by "can" I mean does, because it basically spawn killed me an my team several times over in a few games. I really like that map, but when the Banshee enters the picture, it goes downhill fast.

Shake Appeal said:
Overheard in Arena:

Heh, I had this the other day in team slayer, Atom, boardwalk and the cage came up,

guy a) "Man, FUCK Atom, I fucking hate that map."
6 votes go to Atom
guy b) "Wait, didn't you just vote to play it?"
guy a) "Yea... I just wanted to play it for some reason"

:lol :lol :lol

EDIT:

I kind of like the way the banshee is setup, because the thing is so damn weak*, and hard to pilot now. It's like you get this awesome offensive burst for a little bit, before the other team gets their shit together and DMRs you out of the sky.

* Except in elite slayer, then the thing is just super overpowered. /Not on humpday team 1, but I feel their pain. :lol

I would enjoy having the banshee in BTB maps if it was more "annoyance" than flying death incarnate.

I feel like the role of vehicles in Reach multiplayer has been vastly changed since previous installments. Splatters across the board (a large part of the fun in previous games) has been made less useful due to armor lock. Warthogs are now super-springy. Banshees have lock on fuel rods.

I do wish there were more revenants and wraiths in multiplayer. For some reason I feel like those are more 'fun' than having a scorpion. But maybe that's just because they aren't really utilized in multiplayer.

It is a little weird that the DMR is a consistently effective anti-vehicle weapon.

On the other hand, the vehicles would be so unbelievably dominant without that. I do like how the greatest enemy of the warthog is usually any bump or pothole on the ground rather than the other team.

Shake Appeal said:
Overheard in Arena:

I agree, 2 worst maps in Reach.

OMG I'm so sick of fucking randoms quitting and going -9 and having - scores. How do you possibly do WORSE than just NOT PLAYING. That blows my fucking mind! 2 man down on a HUGE map playing Stockpile, SIGN ME THE FUCK UP!

Somebody get on Reach. I'm playing great too its just so frustrating playing with garbage that can't figure out where to shoot.

Kujo

I love Breakpoint, maybe it's because I've been doing the donging when I've played it. Started a 6v6 team sniper match. Some guy on my team betrays another guy and he and his guest gets booted right off the bat, and the the booter quits too. Then another guy gets donged on twice before quiting. So it's 2v6, and my last teammate is running around in the open, somehow managing to fall off the map every so often, I have no idea. He ends the game with -16 KD spread. Meanwhile I'm just flanking the shit out of the other team continously and end up winning us the game in the last minute with a +22 spread

After the game I get a message from one of the other players calling me a "c*nt", so all in all a good day

I think the two banshees on Breakpoint are fine, 1 Flag CTF would be less interesting without them.

It's not like either team has an advantage, both teams are able to use one.

Shake Appeal said:
It is a little weird that the DMR is a consistently effective anti-vehicle weapon.

On the other hand, the vehicles would be so unbelievably dominant without that. I do like how the greatest enemy of the warthog is usually any bump or pothole on the ground rather than the other team.

I hate that so much. I can't even drive around on Hemorrhage without worrying about hitting a hill the wrong way and doing 10,000 barrel rolls (slight exaggeration).

Give me Halo 3 Warthog physics, and then I'll be in love.

7echnicolor said:
I think the two banshees on Breakpoint are fine, 1 Flag CTF would be less interesting without them.

It's not like either team has an advantage, both teams are able to use one.

I think it's already been pointed out here that one team spawns out in the open while the other spawns around a bunch of buildings that can provide cover. Personally I haven't had too many problems vs. Banshees on Breakpoint but that's probably because I haven't played against anybody that knows how to use them.

I generally expect less out of Breakpoint right now because it's not really supposed to be in a playlist that doesn't have Invasion in the title.

As for xbox live chatter: yesterday I played some Rumble pit and came in first. Got a message from some dude that finished like 4th or 5th that said "I lost because I was distracted by your mom". Please xbox live community, if you're going to send me taunting messages out of nowhere then at least be original.

P.S. My mom is a classy lady.

Edit: Juices, you can't really complain, H3llz W1ndstaff went 6 kills 6 deaths and 3 assists! That's perfectly reasonable for a second banana in a slayer game...Plus he spelled Hells with a 3! You don't find that sort of talent every day!

-Yeti said:
I hate that so much. I can't even drive around on Hemorrhage without worrying about hitting a hill the wrong way and doing 10,000 barrel rolls (slight exaggeration).

Give me Halo 3 Warthog physics, and then I'll be in love.
This. It's not as fun to drive as it was in Halo 3. The Warthog needs to be more grounded in its physics; less floaty.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Bregmann Roche said:
I think it's already been pointed out here that one team spawns out in the open while the other spawns around a bunch of buildings that can provide cover. Personally I haven't had too many problems vs. Banshees on Breakpoint but that's probably because I haven't played against anybody that knows how to use them.

I generally expect less out of Breakpoint right now because it's not really supposed to be in a playlist that doesn't have Invasion in the title.

As for xbox live chatter: yesterday I played some Rumble pit and came in first. Got a message from some dude that finished like 4th or 5th that said "I lost because I was distracted by your mom". Please xbox live community, if you're going to send me taunting messages out of nowhere then at least be original.

P.S. My mom is a classy lady.

Edit: Juices, you can't really complain, H3llz W1ndstaff went 6 kills 6 deaths and 3 assists! That's perfectly reasonable for a second banana in a slayer game...Plus he spelled Hells with a 3! You don't find that sort of talent every day!

it is a bit unfair that blue spawns with an extra laser and plasma launcher though. thankfully, in most matches, i find that the splazer is entirely overlooked and i'm able to regularly grab it by sprinting to it from the other side of the map :)

Dax01 said:
This. It's not as fun to drive as it was in Halo 3. The Warthog needs to be more grounded in its physics; less floaty.

Same should go for the Mongoose. Rocket Race on Paradiso is almost unplayable due to the terrain and floaty physics.

FourDoor

Captain Blood said:
It is depressing that this thread is already 6 pages deep before I knew it was up lol.

Change to 100posts per page so that it'll only be 3pages so you won't feel so bad. LOL :lol

Top Bottom