• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

aesop

I really wish Urk or ManCannon would pop in and let us know, either way, if there is a title update on the way and what it could possibly address. Even if they came in here to say, "No. It's fine as is. Deal with it." I'd be happy.

There isn't much that I don't like right now. But as you guys have said, the warthog and mongoose just aren't as fun to drive anymore. Banshee FRC needs to go, too.

Miggytronz

aesop said:
I really wish Urk or ManCannon would pop in and let us know, either way, if there is a title update on the way and what it could possibly address. Even if they came in here to say, "No. It's fine as is. Deal with it." I'd be happy.

There isn't much that I don't like right now. But as you guys have said, the warthog and mongoose just aren't as fun to drive anymore. Banshee FRC needs to go, too.

Wasnt the Update supposed to release before the map pack?

GhaleonEB

aesop said:

I think a BWU will be the place we hear about that. I too am hoping for an update but the last mention of it was, no current plans.

aesop said:

This. Warthog handling in particular is a real let-down from previous titles. I'd love to know whether that is going to change or whether Bungie is happy as is.

Edit: Btw, you guys were so awesome and supportive when I lost my job (and got that my copy of Reach signed), I did get a new job! So thanks, GAF & Bungie for telling me to keep my chin up.

Miggytronz

Epyon MX said:
This. Warthog handling in particular is a real let-down from previous titles. I'd love to know whether that is going to change or whether Bungie is happy as is.

Edit: Btw, you guys were so awesome and supportive when I lost my job (and got that my copy of Reach signed), I did get a new job! So thanks, GAF & Bungie for telling me to keep my chin up.

:thumbsup:

GhaleonEB said:
I think a BWU will be the place we hear about that. I too am hoping for an update but the last mention of it was, no current plans.
I hope we get one. This game needs it as much as Halo 3 did when it launched.

Dax01 said:
I hope we get one. This game needs it as much as Halo 3 did when it launched.

I was just learning Teh HaloZ at that time so I can't remember all the changes, but they did do something to melee and they tweaked some weapon attributes didn't they?

That bodes well for what is possible with a title update for Reach. This game will be my most played game for the next year either way, but I would enjoy it more if vehicles got some more attention (as mentioned above) and if maybe the AR couldn't kill me from across the map.

And weren't people saying something about Armor Lock a few pages/threads back? something about it being underpowered? Or was it overpowered?

Miggytronz

I totally agree that this game needs a update. especially vehicles, the fun factor in them is gone.

Rocket Race is useless and dumb. you fall off the fucking thing 75% of the time. NO WONDER YOU MADE A ACHIEVEMENT FOR IT.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Shake Appeal said:
It is a little weird that the DMR is a consistently effective anti-vehicle weapon.

On the other hand, the vehicles would be so unbelievably dominant without that. I do like how the greatest enemy of the warthog is usually any bump or pothole on the ground rather than the other team.

Only seems effective if the team actually focus fires.

-Yeti said:
Is it even possible to alter the physics through an update?

Even if the super bounce physics are unchangeable they can at least somewhat make up for it by making vehicles stronger in other ways. The frustration level with them might still be there but at least they will be useful. The warthog should be desired by players as much as a power weapon. Right now against a good team they are just clown cars that either get DMR'd to death, go flying off the map, or get wrecked by an armor locker.

Question for Bungie:

What was the design decision to change overtime from its style in Halo 2 to what it is now in Halo 3 and Reach?

Did the subject of having an overtime that disregards the fact the the player may still have the flag or the bomb in ending the game ever come up?

The current system in place seems to be a very bad cross between and overtime round and a sudden death period. The result is something that is in my opinion, the worst possible way to deal with overtime in objective. It is also my conclusion that this has been very detrimental to objective games and their popularity and fun since its introduction in Halo 3.

What are your thoughts on it?

Alienshogun said:
Only seems effective if the team actually focus fires.
You can take one down yourself pretty easily if it makes a couple passes, which they always will. Drivers never seem to consider DMR pelting a very big threat

-Yeti said:
Is it even possible to alter the physics through an update?

Probably. Maybe someone who has experience hacking halo stuff can answer it more definatively, but they probably have a set of attributes for the vehicles that are easily modifiable, like weight, center of gravity x, center of gravity y, center of gravity z. These probably wouldn't be heavy duty engine changes, but I believe they are done on a per map basis. Probably lowering the center of gravity would make it much less flip-overable.

This wouldn't be disimilar to patching weapon damages, like was done in Halo 2.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Shake Appeal said:
That guy was top 9% Onyx last season.

Edit: so what is the required count, anyway? :lol
The A team playing them will convince me.
SnzdY.gif

krakov

op_ivy said:
it is a bit unfair that blue spawns with an extra laser and plasma launcher though.

There is a plasma launcher on the other side as well, check the balcony above where you start. Red team gets a Hammer as well, although it's usefulness on Breakpoint is debatable.

Hey You

I wouldn't mind getting an explanation of why Alpha Zombies isn't in Reach. It cut out alot of good games. I wonder if a Title Update can bring new game modes, like Generator Defense.

Miggytronz

Hey You said:
I wouldn't mind getting an explanation of why Alpha Zombies isn't in Reach. It cut out alot of good games. I wonder if a Title Update can bring new game modes, like Generator Defense.

i personally would love that. Though isnt that the objective in Invasion on Breakpoint?

Hey You said:

Here's what I've interpreted about game-modes in Reach:

From what I've seen they don't actually need a TU to create new gametypes.

For example, Rocket Race isn't a mode on the disc, and it's not a mode you can create in standard race settings. Bungie and specifically Derrick Carol (see the most recent podcast) has a full scripting langauge this time around, where he can build more complicated gametypes and share them to the community.

The downside of this approach, is that they can't always expose more options to the community. For example, how Elite Slayer is possible as in in game mode, but there's no options to force a single species in custom games.

It's entirely possible to create alpha zombie without a TU, but afterward you wouldn't be able to do things that aren't exposed in the UI, IE: you couldn't change the Alpha Zombies health. You would need a TU to do that.

But still, I thought there were some abilities to differentiate zombies. See: http://www.forgehub.com/forum/reach-mini-game-maps/110861-cawk-blawkin.html

Or did they create this type with clever forge trickery?

Louis Wu

Alienshogun said:
The momentum from his evade killed him when he hit the geometry.
I had an assassination go bad for the same reason last night:

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=10613238

A side-view, really slow-mo version is here:

http://files3.bungie.org/flash/totally_unfair/854/480/

COMPLETE CHANGE OF TOPIC

Most people here already have the Noble Map Pack, it seems, but if you don't, swing by here:

http://halo.bungie.org/misc/imsopoor.html

We'll pick 10 funny entries and give codes out Monday morning.

electricpirate said:
A. Ascension/Pinnacle
I think I'll always have a soft spot for ascension/pinnacle for two reasons.

1. It was the first game of Halo 2 I ever played online. 1 flag, and I jacked that flag both rounds :). I still like it for 1 flag to this day.

2. In a college Halo 2 tournament, we qualified for the finals because I hit an EPIC stick on the banshee terrorizing our team to win the game.

B.
Pretty good analysis of the Cage.

I'd also add that, there aren't enough paths from the low area to the high area, both are fraught with danger, and the underside platform doesn't have much reason to exist. If there was (once again) more than two ways up from the bottom area, and a weapon better than the oh-so useless Plasma launcher it would help too. Actually, slayer pro plays better on that map for that reason alone.

There's some good things in the map, I like the drop down, and I like getting in that center structure to provide cover fire, but the rest of the map get's pretty miserable.
Ascension was one of the first, if not the first, map I ever played online with friends. My wife and I used to play FFA with another couple and it was always a fun time on the map. Playing on it's forged variant in a semi-competitive matchmaking standpoint, however, is another story. Much like Hemorrhage, Pinnacle feels incredibly dated and out of place with the Reach sandbox. With the slower movement speed and shield recharge, the long narrow paths are much more dangerous, especially with the amazing accuracy of the DMR. I'd love to see one of the other maps that were in the FW vidoc replace it, but with the staggering amount of people who vote for anything Pinnacle, I doubt it'll ever be retired. *sigh*

Hey You said:
They've added Firefight VS without a title update, so they may not need to do that to add gametypes.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Man, this new podcast is just a bunch of guys talking about stuff no one cares about, making themselves laugh. Sucks we only get one every 6 months right. :lol

Louis Wu said:

COMPLETE CHANGE OF TOPIC

Most people here already have the Noble Map Pack, it seems, but if you don't, swing by here:

The animation was going to put you inside the geometry, so naturally you get a suicide.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Louis Wu said:

COMPLETE CHANGE OF TOPIC

:lol only way that could have been better is if it gave you a showstopper.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Hydranockz said:
:lol :lol :lol I think it has to do with his back facing the wall and it tried to carry on anyway.

Yeah, but it's supposed to just cut the animations short, not kill you!

I wish I had made a video of me shooting a guy on the elevator in reflection with a shotgun point blank, and it made me suicide.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
krakov said:
There is a plasma launcher on the other side as well, check the balcony above where you start. Red team gets a Hammer as well, although it's usefulness on Breakpoint is debatable.

the hammer fucking owns on breakpoint. ANYONE on the opposing team trying to get to the other side of the map through the caves needs to look out for my camping, sprinting, and hammer wielding ass! :lol

EDIT: dont see the plasma launcher on bungie's overhead view from the OP...

Miggytronz

i need to hit up theatre mode had some good and bad situations occur.

two nights ago i was Assassinating someone and after the animation i died.....wtf?

Hey You

Mikasangelos said:
i personally would love that. Though isnt that the objective in Invasion on Breakpoint?
Yeah, but I want the original GD from the beta. Not in Invasion,not in Firefight.

squidhands said:
They've added Firefight VS without a title update, so they may not need to do that to add gametypes.
It was already on the disc. Well a version with different settings.

feel

Dax01 said:
This. It's not as fun to drive as it was in Halo 3. The Warthog needs to be more grounded in its physics; less floaty.
And if I want to turn the camera around while going at full speed to pull off a crazy slide and drive off in another direction like in the old games, let me do it!! I know you can use the brakes to pull it off and all, but it just annoys me that the camera tries to kill the fun.

Bregmann Roche said:
I was just learning Teh HaloZ at that time so I can't remember all the changes, but they did do something to melee.
The most prominent thing I remember about Halo 3's first title update was what Bungie did to change the melee system.

Striker

squidhands said:
Ascension was one of the first, if not the first, map I ever played online with friends. My wife and I used to play FFA with another couple and it was always a fun time on the map. Playing on it's forged variant in a semi-competitive matchmaking standpoint, however, is another story. Much like Hemorrhage, Pinnacle feels incredibly dated and out of place with the Reach sandbox. With the slower movement speed and shield recharge, the long narrow paths are much more dangerous, especially with the amazing accuracy of the DMR. I'd love to see one of the other maps that were in the FW vidoc replace it, but with the staggering amount of people who vote for anything Pinnacle, I doubt it'll ever be retired. *sigh*
If anything needs retired, it's The Cage. Pinnacle can offer modes in Team Slayer and Team Objective well. While the gameplay from Halo 2 isn't the same in this instance, your argument about the DMR being too accurate for the map is a bit silly. The BR in Halo 2 with hitscan was a godsend for good users. It didn't ruin the map one bit. I find the variety in AA's being a good change up for the map.

GhaleonEB

Striker said:
If anything needs retired, it's The Cage. Pinnacle can offer modes in Team Slayer and Team Objective well. While the gameplay from Halo 2 isn't the same in this instance, your argument about the DMR being too accurate for the map is a bit silly. The BR in Halo 2 with hitscan was a godsend for good users. It didn't ruin the map one bit. I find the variety in AA's being a good change up for the map.
I don't have a lot to add to this discussion (other than to say I don't like Ascension for anything other than one-sided objective games), but I think the 3x zoom of the DMR does change how it plays relative to the Halo 2 BR. There were some times on the last day of Halo 2's Live activity (*sniff*) where I was trying to line up shots on players from across Terminal and Headlong, but it was just a bit too far to scope in accurately. With the DMR I'd have pounded the four shot shield strip and follow-up headshot no problem.

I don't know how much that affects Ascension, but I think long range combat does play out differently in Reach in general as a result.

Raide

I am having fun playing around with Tempest in Forge. Its nice to have a new space to make things in but it is challenging, since the area is much smaller than Forgeworld. :lol

Working on a map inspired by the Halo 3 map, Narrows. Need to tidy things up and add more decorate, so a bit WIP currently. :D

reach_10639495_Full.jpg

Already posted in the ForgeGAF thread but that seems to have died off a bit.

krakov

op_ivy said:
the hammer fucking owns on breakpoint. ANYONE on the opposing team trying to get to the other side of the map through the caves needs to look out for my camping, sprinting, and hammer wielding ass! :lol

EDIT: dont see the plasma launcher on bungie's overhead view from the OP...

I guess it could be quite effective for shutting down the tunnels, I'm too restless to give it try though. As touched on earlier in this or the older OT, the maps seem to miss a few items, I think the hammer is missing as well?

Just go left when spawning and enter that building, going up the stairs out to the balcony. There is a PL on the edge of it towards the other team. I usually go straight up there to take down the enemy banshee if no one else does.

Also, how do the spawns on Tempest work? will enemies start to spawn behind you if your teammates run over to the other side? I know there are some awful spawns in the middle of the map but I'm not sure I've spawned there more than a few times getting instantly killed.

kylej

Banned
Was the magnum reticule darkened at all from beta to finished game? It's a useful weapon but I find it hard as hell to keep a bead on the enemy.

Veelk

Banned
I still don't understand why Bungie doesn't find accurate remakes of all their old maps and put them into matchmaking. No playtesting necessary, no major risks (unless the Reach mechanics are REALLY dysfunctional in a particular map, but if Pinnacle made it through....), and instant happy gamers. I don't get why they aren't doing this.

ShinAmano

Generic said:
I still don't understand why Bungie doesn't find accurate remakes of all their old maps and put them into matchmaking. No playtesting necessary, no major risks (unless the Reach mechanics are REALLY dysfunctional in a particular map, but if Pinnacle made it through....), and instant happy gamers. I don't get why they aren't doing this.
They are waiting to release an add on disk with all the rest of the Halo 3 maps and ODST Firefight maps.

Generic said:
Old Halo maps would definitely need retooling for Reach's gameplay. Jetpack alone breaks everything lol.

Striker

GhaleonEB said:
I don't have a lot to add to this discussion (other than to say I don't like Ascension for anything other than one-sided objective games), but I think the 3x zoom of the DMR does change how it plays relative to the Halo 2 BR. There were some times on the last day of Halo 2's Live activity (*sniff*) where I was trying to line up shots on players from across Terminal and Headlong, but it was just a bit too far to scope in accurately. With the DMR I'd have pounded the four shot shield strip and follow-up headshot no problem.

I don't know how much that affects Ascension, but I think long range combat does play out differently in Reach in general as a result.
As Blood said, though, the BR in Halo 2 had a limited range. It couldn't shoot too far in large maps like Headlong, Coagulation, Terminal, Relic, etc. But with hitscan it was an amazingly accurate weapon for short and medium distances. On maps like Lockout, Sanctuary, Turf, Burial Mounds, Beaver Creek - mainly the smaller and medium sized maps, it was a great weapon to have, even moreso than a Sniper and Rockets in some people's hands. The DMR does have the longer range but I don't think the range factor should have anything to do with Pinnacle and how it would arise problems. Hemorrhage is more difficult to have success on due to the length of the DMR and Needle Rifle's range, but for smaller maps I cannot grasp the argument. Still, that said, a map like Pinnacle is pretty solid for AR/Pistol because the Pistol's range is just right for it. In past games, this isn't the case. In Halo 2, Ascension, it was pretty crucial they had BR starts on there because the SMG was an awful weapon start for it. Probably why NoF also added in Team Rifles (two Snipers, and just BR/Carbine on map) later to spice up the variety. Too bad for a while he left in the Banshee for it. :lol

Captain Blood said:
Old Halo maps would definitely need retooling for Reach's gameplay. Jetpack alone breaks everything lol.
I think many Halo 2 maps would work well with it, even with a slower base speed and jetpacks.

Colossus, Zanzibar, Burial Mounds - superb medium sized maps that fit the bill for Team Slayer and Team Objective, and given some soft kill zones in certain areas, it would be fine. For later DLC, though, I welcome more 1-side maps for objective and some 4v4 symmetrical maps like Beaver Creek.

feel

kylej said:
Was the magnum reticule darkened at all from beta to finished game? It's a useful weapon but I find it hard as hell to keep a bead on the enemy.
Yes, it's about 1% darker now.

Top Bottom