• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

GhaleonEB

Raide said:
Highlight the darkness at the bottom, get DLC codes......GOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Clever, Urk. I was wondering what that was about. :lol

Nice update. I look forward to the gaggle of community maps hitting the playlists.

Raide

GhaleonEB said:

Nice update. I look forward to the gaggle of community maps hitting the playlists.

Same. If your map does not make it, I will be really disappointed. Need more BTB stuff!

StUnNeR H2K

<3 Urk!

I got me some free maps! I haven't been playing any Halo lately, but I'm still lurking and caught one of the free map pack codes in the img alt description! :D

GhaleonEB

Raide said:
Same. If your map does not make it, I will be really disappointed. Need more BTB stuff!
Thanks. It's funny, because after working (and blogging) about the map for two months, I'm actually tired of it. :lol

If I had to build it over again, I'd do it all differently because all I see are flaws. But it was the best I could do and I figure it's not bad for a first map. And I might take a pass at another all-Forge (or rather, mostly) BTB variant soon.

But I'm pretty sure there are going to be some amazing maps come out of the contest. From the ones we've dabbled in during customs, the signal:noise ratio was something like 1:5. But that one was freaking great.

GhaleonEB said:
Thanks. It's funny, because after working (and blogging) about the map for two months, I'm actually tired of it. :lol

If I had to build it over again, I'd do it all differently because all I see are flaws. But it was the best I could do and I figure it's not bad for a first map. And I might take a pass at another all-Forge (or rather, mostly) BTB variant soon.

But I'm pretty sure there are going to be some amazing maps come out of the contest. From the ones we've dabbled in during customs, the signal:noise ratio was something like 1:5. But that one was freaking great.

Don't want to sound like a jerk but I got a question for you. You are obviously a big FF guy and not so much into the matchmaking, how did you get around the barrier of not having a lot of BTB experience or MM in general in reach to make a good map?

Raide

GhaleonEB said:

I know how you feel. :lol

The more I play with Forge, the more I want to head back and remake my old maps. Its amazing how much you pick up, especially when looking at other ForgeGAF creations. It really does make you lok and thinks and think "Damn, why didn't I think of that!". :D

I just hope Bungie supports Forge more and keep improving things. Some more content and Forge spaces are always welcome and it will mean they have a nearly infinite supply of community maps to check through and add to MM.

Wow... I just now snagged a code off the Update for the maps.

I assumed they were all gone...

Edit: There must have been close to 30 codes hidden in the source code (Alt tags, etc).

<3 Urk

Sai-kun

Banned
cuevas said:
Don't want to sound like a jerk but I got a question for you. You are obviously a big FF guy and not so much into the matchmaking, how did you get around the barrier of not having a lot of BTB experience or MM in general in reach to make a good map?

He was a huge BTB dude in Halo 3.

darthbob

Devin Olsen said:
Wow... I just now snagged a code off the Update for the maps.

I assumed they were all gone...

Edit: There must have been close to 30 codes hidden in the source code (Alt tags, etc).

<3 Urk

So did I. I got one from the alt-text of mobile B.net images.

^5 for being cheap!

Kuroyume

Banned
Played a game on Anchor 9 where I ran into some dude with a chaingun in the hallway and traded a bunch of fire from my pistol with him but he managed to rip my shield off first. I stepped aside and desperately threw a grenade to get him but it must have hit a wall or taken a bad bounce to land close to me. Just as I threw it I was also assassinated by some dude behind me. The grenade went off and killed me so it counted as a kill for chaingun dude. The dude behind me was pissed thinking chaingun dude stole his kill so he started shooting his AR at chaingun dude killing him and counting as a kill for me. :lol DUMBASS

Gui_PT

They should be giving out Flaming Helmet Avatar codes, way more important the the map pack.

I kid

I love how they just give these things away. They lub us.

FourDoor

I feel like I'm only one of 10people here who actually paid for the NMP. :lol

Lots of <3 from Bungie and HaloGAF for this map pack release.

Was the mobile version of Bnet the "it" Urk was talking about? I hope not, because that would be disappointing for me since I don't have an iPhone or what not. If it is, good news for those that have a smart phone.

darthbob

FourDoor said:
I feel like I'm only one of 10people here who actually paid for the NMP. :lol

Lots of <3 from Bungie and HaloGAF for this map pack release.

Well, to be fair, I would have gladly paid the $10 for them, but alas, College...

Hey You

Didn't realize so many gaffers still haven't gotten the Map pack yet.

I'm super glad that the Noble Map pack isn't the last DLC, I kinda suspected when I saw the achievements said "Noble 1:" . Hope we don't have to wait too long for the next DLC.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Dax01 said:
Was the mobile version of Bnet the "it" Urk was talking about? I hope not, because that would be disappointing for me since I don't have an iPhone or what not. If it is, good news for those that have a smart phone.

Makes sense. =\

zumphry

Banned
GhaleonEB said:

Yeah, I was wondering if there were youtube/silverlight embeds that weren't popping up. Even though I already got the codes, I still have a premonition to want to find codes hidden about. :lol

As for the maps, I hope they're good. Though, I'm hoping there's another contest, or another way of getting maps into matchmaking in the future. Didn't finish my two maps (and I asked nokyard help me on the second) in time to get videos made. :/

Dax01 said:

I'm both expecting it to be the "it", and hoping it isn't that "it".

Though, if I'm remembering correctly, a mobile b.net has been asked for by the b.net community for awhile now. Plus, it'll be nice being able to see the challenges/horribly mangled English of the forums from practically anywhere.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Has the melee system been acting funny for anyone else here? Been getting assassinations that count as regular melees so I have to beat down twice failed lunges which jolt me infront of the other person then get me beat down, shit is ridiculous.

Grimm Fandango said:
Fairly tame update.
Yeah, no mention of the next map pack, no day and date for MLG playlist, no day and date for the first significant Title Update, no grovelling apology for the game's many questionable design decisions, no moratorium on Armor Lock, no Aerospace reveal, and no pictures of ManCannon's trip to Disneyland.

Some weeks I don't know why I even bother clicking the link.

Plywood said:
Has the melee system been acting funny for anyone else here? Been getting assassinations that count as regular melees so I have to beat down twice failed lunges which jolt me infront of the other person then get me beat down, shit is ridiculous.
Stop punching the left shoulder! Always assassinate from the right.

This isn't even a joke post!

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Shake Appeal said:
Yeah, no mention of the next map pack, no day and date for MLG playlist, no day and date for the first significant Title Update, no grovelling apology for the game's many questionable design decisions, no moratorium on Armor Lock, no Aerospace reveal, and no pictures of ManCannon's trip to Disneyland.

Some weeks I don't know why I even bother clicking the link.

(Available 12.07.10)

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Shake Appeal said:

Could you give me the technical details on this one?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone reached a bonus round in firefight?
I got to it last night at it spawned like 50 hunters with 8 skulls on. :lol

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Striker said:
If anything needs retired, it's The Cage. Pinnacle can offer modes in Team Slayer and Team Objective well. While the gameplay from Halo 2 isn't the same in this instance, your argument about the DMR being too accurate for the map is a bit silly. The BR in Halo 2 with hitscan was a godsend for good users. It didn't ruin the map one bit. I find the variety in AA's being a good change up for the map.

Pinnacle needs a huge fixing of its spawns, and adjustment of power weapon location.

MrBig

Jtwo said:
Has anyone reached a bonus round in firefight?
I got to it last night at it spawned like 50 hunters with 8 skulls on. :lol
Sniper fight is hunters, rocket fight is Elites, and FF is grunts.

GhaleonEB

cuevas said:
A fair question. And one I thought about when I was making the map: how do I make a map for a game mode I don't play a lot of (yet)?

I felt, after playing through the campaign, some customs and the Beta that I had a decent grasp of the sandbox and how to balance it. My main concern was the jet pack, and I addressed that by making every surface of the map accessible without it - so jet packers could achieve shortcuts, but not new sniper perches. One of the last things I did before testing the last iteration of the map was scrub it for places players could go with a jetpack that others couldn't. I ended up blocking off or removing about a dozen nooks and crannies.

Beyond that, a lot of the balancing is similar to Halo 3's BTB, which I played the heck out of. (Halo 2 as well, to a lesser degree.) I tried not to overpower the map with vehicles (two mongoose, one 'hog and a Ghost for each side) or power weapons (one rocket launcher, one hammer, one sniper for each side).

And then the big thing was to play test the hell out of it. The first iteration of Crossroads was tested in customs about five weeks before I submitted it to the contest, and new versions were tested every weekend in between. Stuff like vehicle timers, load outs, weapon placement, ammo count and spawn timers, respawn locations, cover, sight lines and player movement routes and base design all got a lot of updates between play tests.

It's a bit funny to think that I put more time into building a BTB map than I have so far playing BTB. But that's how it's worked out.

That said, I'm ready for some new FF game types, and the Noble map pack is getting me into MP now. I said once before I hadn't had much fun with MP. But these maps rock, and I've enjoyed my time playing on them.

I've had a few thoughts recently about making Hallway for Reach and I think over the weekend I will start making my first few iterations. I might have to call it something like Corridor or something because of some changes I want to implement... Should be awesome. I may draw up some initial concept art tonight.

GhaleonEB

Shake Appeal said:
Grenade launcher replaces rockets, shotgun is moved to banshee. Done!
Add the removal of the sniper rifles - DMRs and pistols are plenty accurate for the scale of the map - and I'd like that a lot. Though I'm probably in the minority on that count.

GhaleonEB said:
A fair question. And one I thought about when I was making the map: how do I make a map for a game mode I don't play a lot of (yet)?

I felt, after playing through the campaign, some customs and the Beta that I had a decent grasp of the sandbox and how to balance it. My main concern was the jet pack, and I addressed that by making every surface of the map accessale without it - so jet packers could achieve shortcuts, but not new sniper perches. One of the last things I did before testing the last iteration of the map was scrub it for places players could go with a jetpack that others couldn't. I ended up blocking off or removing about a dozen nooks and crannies.

Beyond that, a lot of the balancing is similar to Halo 3's BTB, which I played the heck out of. (Halo 2 as well, to a lesser degree.) I tried not to overpower the map with vehicles (two mongoose, one 'hog and a Ghost for each side) or power weapons (one rocket launcher, one hammer, one sniper for each side).

And then the big thing was to playtest the hell out of it. The first iteration of Crossroads was tested in customs about five weeks before I submitted it to the contest, and new versions were tested every weekend in between. Stuff like vehicle timers, load outs, weapon placement, ammo count and spawn timers, respawn locations, cover, sight lines and player movement routes and base design all got a lot of updates between play tests.

It's a bit funny to think that I put more time into building a BTB map than I have so far playing BTB. But that's how it's worked out.

That said, I'm ready for some new FF game types, and the Noble map pack is getting me into MP now. I said once before I hadn't had much fun with MP. But these maps rock, and I've enjoyed my time playing on them.

Thanks for the response, always interesting to see what you put up in Forging Ahead and your process.

I mean, I guess the current thinking is that one team has the advantage of the big tower, so the other needs rockets, sniper, and shotgun to compensate, but it really doesn't make much sense with the moving spawns, especially when the rockets splash damage turns the big tower into a beautiful target.

The real problem with the sniper is that old chestnut of people being able to shoot when only the merest hint of their head is peeking over the parapet. I quite like the sniper play on that map, and don't think it dominates any more than it did in Halo 2. The problem is the pinpoint precision of the DMR, which devolves most close games on Pinnacle into a Mexican standoff between the two towers; crossing the dish means taking your life into your hands. It's one of the few maps that plays better with AR/Pistol starts.

Grenade launcher takes much more skill and has less splash damage than rockets, so better suits a small map with no vehicles. And moving shotgun gives teams a reason to go to and contest the old banshee platform, which is currently underused.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I thought GAF's Armour Lock whining is petty at times but Bnet has it beat. Apparently this topic was well received... =\

Would you guys like to have such thing as "Armor lock ban" in this game?
Like when you use it too much during the game, you get banned for 15 minutes to chill out and think about how g a y you are ?

They also need to add some new medals:
1. A constant need of Butt Pals ! - used AL 15 times in one game.
2. Game Stopper! - used AL 20 times in one game.
3. You suck!!!! - used AL 30 times in one game.

This level of discourse is just shameful yet it's how most non-gamers generalise the level of maturity of game playing folks. It's hard to refute this when you hop on Live and you hear worse sometimes.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Dani said:
I thought GAF's Armour Lock whining is petty at times but Bnet has it beat. Apparently this topic was well received... =\

This level of discourse is just shameful yet it's how most non-gamers generalise the level of maturity of game playing folks. It's hard to refute this when you hop on Live and you hear worse sometimes.

can you link it, I feel like trolling :D

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Tashi0106 said:
Thread locked?

:(

The Forum Ninja folks, when they do catch such shite, aren't very tolerant of it, thankfully. I'm just shocked at the amount of folks in support of the "humour" in that OP.

Top Bottom