• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

GhaleonEB said:
It's about play style. Lone Wolf and Team Player are, IIRC, the options. So whether you prefer to go and do your own thing, or work closely as a team.

Does it then try and match you with other people who have that checked? I guess I never thought about how the matching actually occurs.

I've only quit one game of matchmaking so far. Rocket Race on Paradiso and only because my teammate quit before the match started.

Side note, that was my only time on Paradiso. I have yet to actually play on the map.

GhaleonEB

BlueScrote said:
Does it then try and match you with other people who have that checked? I guess I never thought about how the matching actually occurs.
From interviews at the time the feature was announced before the beta (when they were called "Social Settings"), my understanding is the system first does the Trueskill/connection matchmaking, and then from the pool of ideal player matches uses the psyche profiles to form matches.

It's probably more complicated than that.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Grimm Fandango said:
I've only quit one game of matchmaking so far. Rocket Race on Paradiso and only because my teammate quit before the match started.

Side note, that was my only time on Paradiso. I have yet to actually play on the map.
My 360 has locked up multiple times and just frozen in place mid-game. Had to turn it on and off again. I guess my 360 being at fault will keep me away from credit jackpots *shrug*

GhaleonEB said:
From interviews at the time the feature was announced before the beta (when they were called "Social Settings"), my understanding is the system first does the Trueskill/connection matchmaking, and then from the pool of ideal player matches uses the psyche profiles to form matches.

Yeah I would imagine so. Everytime I think about the net code for Matchmaking and Host migration my brain hurts from an engineering standpoint.

J-Roderton

Just came back to Reach tonight after a long time with Black Ops. Gotta say, feels good to be back.

Anyway, does anyone know where I can check Halo 3 population for matchmaking? Thanks.

GhaleonEB said:

I thought it was the opposite actually. That it finds people by your social preferences to match you up with other teammates and then uses trueskill to find opposing players.

I've been heinously wrong before though.

GhaleonEB

NullPointer said:
I thought it was the opposite actually. That it finds people by your social preferences to match you up with other teammates and then uses trueskill to find opposing players.

I've been heinously wrong before though.
I wasn't sure - my memory has gone downhill in my old age - so I did some searching.

From the Shacknews article revealing the social features:

Social Settings - In addition to these connection options, players can rate themselves along four axes to add another layer of criteria to the matchmaking. These won't trump anything else, but it will help Bungie build better teams. Players will define their playstyle in the following four categories:

* Teamwork - Team Player vs. Lone Wolf
* Motivation - Winning vs. Having Fun
* Chattiness - Chatty vs. Quiet
* Tone - Polite vs. Rowdy​

And from the BWU following them up:

In addition to defining your overall preferred matching criteria, you can also toggle social settings that can add an additional layer of logic when it comes time to finding teammates you want to be paired with. Just like “Connection Options,” the degree to which these factors will influence your matchmaking results are dependent on the specific playlist parameters and it’s important to note that a Social Setting will never override the underlying core matchmaking that takes place (i.e. a “chatty” level 20 won’t get matched with a “chatty” level 50).

One very important thing we want to drive home here is that social preferences will never “slow down” your match. They don’t even change the matching pool; they just help us try to build better matches.​

That's where I got the hierarchy from. Not entirely senile yet!

GhaleonEB said:
That's where I got the hierarchy from. Not entirely senile yet!
Good catch.

But could it be that we're both right somehow? In an attempt to show I havent lost my faculties yet either, I submit Evidence A, from Carnage Carnivale:
YouTube @ 6:53s

Instead of trying to put eight people in a room together, we first use the social preferences for finding teammates. Then we can say, find four other players that are a good skill match.
This was pre-beta though, so maybe this changed?

GhaleonEB

NullPointer said:
Good catch.

But could it be that we're both right somehow? In an attempt to show I havent lost my faculties yet either, I submit Evidence A, from Carnage Carnivale:
YouTube @ 6:53s

This was pre-beta though, so maybe this changed?
My understanding is, the social preferences don't apply to your opponents in team games, just those on your team. From the BWU I linked:

What preferences won’t do is affect anyone on the other team. You’ll be matched based on skill alone.​

So we're both right, sort of. Hugs!

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Start a game on Noble Map Pack get Team Snipers on Breakpoint two people quit on my team before the game starts, fine whatever keep playing, one guy isn't moving, keep playing, other guy is running to a corner, betray both people who aren't "here", get booted. Fuckin' A.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
And dump the shitty turd forge map Pinnacle off of Multiteam if you aren't going to fix the spawns.

Jinjo said:
I've been trying to get Invasion on Breakpoint for what seems forever now.
Hopefully that's because a lot of people who bought the map pack are only playing the DLC playlist and not a sign of how well matchmaking matches you up with other people who have the maps.

Jinjo

Dax01 said:
Hopefully that's because a lot of people who bought the map pack are only playing the DLC playlist and not a sign of how well matchmaking matches you up with other people who have the maps.

That's what I keep telling myself. I sure hope so, otherwise they'd just be better off by splitting the userbase. What's the use for new maps if they rarely (in my case never) show up in the normal playlists.

Grady Durden said:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51p-IG8fT0L._SS500_.jpg

I'm sure this has been mentioned but I just now saw the cover art. Pretty cool!

[B]I really hope that they have a Kindle version immediately available.[/B][/QUOTE]
Awesome!

Frankie/Cocop/Voc can we get a confirm on this?

How often do newly released books come out on Kindle? Is there a delay? I will want to buy this day 1.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Jinjo said:
I've been trying to get Invasion on Breakpoint for what seems forever now.

Think about this. You've just spent $10 on new maps and so have your friends. You want o play these new maps and get as much value out of your purchase as possible during the first few weeks.

You boot up Reach and see your friends online playing Reach and join them. You now have the option of playing on the new maps exclusively for the evening - with a wide variety of gametypes with slayer and objective variants supported and a larger than normal party size.

Who in the right mind would ignore this option and say to their friends that they'd rather play on Spire and Boneyard?

If any one of the folks on my Friend's List suggested this, they have have a verbal kick up the arse.

If you really want to play Invasion: Breakpoint, gather a big as party as possible and head into Invasion and you'll get it. If you don't have that many friends, get your friends to invite their friends until you have a big enough party.

Either that or play in the DLC playlist like most other folks who have purchased the maps are doing and have some fun.

Alternatively - come to HaloGAF Customs on Saturday evening. We'll be running Invasion: Breakpoint fo' sure.

Raide

Love Breakpoint. Damn sweet to have more Invasion and BTB maps.
Love Tempest but actually wish it was bigger to support BTB.
Anchor 9 is...floaty. Fast and frantic, will take time getting use to it.

LordAlu

Booties said:
[url='http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=1987544&player=I%20AnnihilatoR%20I]This is why it's called the pro pipe[/url], and Annihilator is the reason Something Awful would woop a gaf A team anyday (ps he's not even the best goon)
Linky no worky... but I assume you mean this one?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Single Wield - 1250cR
Earn {requird_count} kills with small arms weapons in multiplayer Matchmaking.

:lol :lol

More than a Handful - 1250cR
Kill 125 enemies in multiplayer Matchmaking.

Vengeance Found - 1150cR
Earn your 'Revenge' in a multiplayer Matchmaking game.

Five-time Champ - 2750cR
Win 5 games in multiplayer Matchmaking.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Booties said:
This is why it's called the pro pipe, and Annihilator is the reason Something Awful would woop a gaf A team anyday (ps he's not even the best goon)
One nice clip isn't gonna convince me.
SnzdY.gif

So just came across a guy who got pissed off at me for booting him, so he told me he submitted my account to hackednet or whatever with my ISP, IP, and DNS. But this is my school's things, so I dunno what that's gonna do for him.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Dani said:
Single Wield - 1250cR
Earn {requird_count} kills with small arms weapons in multiplayer Matchmaking.

:lol :lol

More than a Handful - 1250cR
Kill 125 enemies in multiplayer Matchmaking.

Vengeance Found - 1150cR
Earn your 'Revenge' in a multiplayer Matchmaking game.

Five-time Champ - 2750cR
Win 5 games in multiplayer Matchmaking.

Done. The {requird_count} was annoying. =\

Miggytronz

Man Im upset about not completing yesterdays challenges, Wife had me decorate the house for Xmas.....

Hopefully i can knock out todays.

Plywood said:
And dump the shitty turd forge map Pinnacle off of Multiteam if you aren't going to fix the spawns.
Pinnacle just needs to be retired. I played some SWAT magnums on it yesterday (great gametype, BTW), and it was just no fun in the slightest. Everyone just stayed on the edges of the map and waited for idiots to run up to them. I think I prefer playing The Cage to Pinnacle. The Cage may be crap, but at least it's new crap; not some rehashed version of a map I barely enjoyed in Halo 2. I don't quit out on games, but when Pinnacle is voted on every damned time it comes up I have to say that I can't really blame people who do.

aesop

Dax01 said:
So just came across a guy who got pissed off at me for booting him, so he told me he submitted my account to hackednet or whatever with my ISP, IP, and DNS. But this is my school's things, so I dunno what that's gonna do for him.

Like he'd be able to get that information by being matched against you. Unless he's hacked his xbox, there's no way he could know that.

ShinAmano

Another day another random question or two...
How is it possible to:
Kill 1000 enemies in Campaign without dying?
Kill 15 opponents with the Spartan Laser without dying?

aesop

ShinAmano said:
Another day another random question or two...
How is it possible to:

I'm gonna go with patience.

ShinAmano said:

One level where you storm the beach has an infinite loop of dropships keep stealing their weapons and waste a lot of time?

I don't think you can get the Spartan Laser one, maybe on Paradiso BTB...

Top Bottom