• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Striker

Major Williams said:
The BR was so much more fun to play with on MLG settings though. DMR is really wonderful too, but the BR's burst was so much fun I realized.
Maybe Halo 2's BR where the bullets actually registered.

GhaleonEB said:
That was an example. I agree any penalty should scale to your Rank, since that's what the cR rewards do. Otherwise the penalty seems smaller and smaller over time.

And also, show a "Game Quit" screen after, with the bar moving backward and cR being deducted.

I actually think that the quit ban is generally enough to either deter quitters, or just make habitual quitters leave the game entirely, as I find the quitting has generally been better in Reach than H3, at least in the 4 vs 4 playlists, not sure about BTB. Rank/exp penalties in halo 3 were pretty poor ways to discourage quitting, so the quit ban is a big step forward IMO.

But adding Credit penalties to the existing quit ban, and more credit bonusses for staying in games wouldn't hurt the system one bit either.

BTW, anyone going to be around thursday? I have the entire day off, and my wife is working, It's going to be a very Reachy Christmas eve-eve. I'd play all day on christmas too, but I'm going to be in death valley/ Vegas. Pays to be a jew on christmas sometimes. :lol :D

Wow, what a great way to make me sick of Courtyard. I won't be playing it again soon if I can help it. :lol
Went to get the first strike achievement in SWAT, and ended up winning in a 2v4 scenario. Didn't get the daily, but figured that was the beginning and end of my luck for the day. I managed to get over 1000 Cr today, so I think I'll call it a night.

I don't know how long I'll be on Thursday, but I do plan on logging in some Reach time for sure.

Kibbles

Went shopping over the weekend, saw a Reach Legendary Edition at Target and K-Mart, and a MW2 Prestige Edition at GameStop. Extremely limited, lol. These stores are from suburbs outside Milwaukee, so it's not like out in the country or anything.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Kibbles said:
Went shopping over the weekend, saw a Reach Legendary Edition at Target and K-Mart, and a MW2 Prestige Edition at GameStop. Extremely limited, lol. These stores are from suburbs outside Milwaukee, so it's not like out in the country or anything.
Can't speak for the MW2 package, but the Reach Legendary Edition has proven to be anything but limited. You can easily order it online for half the price it was selling for (or less) on launch day. Makes it even more hilarious that people were paying out the ass on eBay for just the exclusive DLC. :lol

Oozer3993

Google Reader is showing a new Bungie Podcast available.

Marcus Lehto, Joseph Tung, Lee Wilson, and Chris Carney stop by the recording booth for the second podcast in as many weeks to drop some dirty bombs about Halo: Reach's development process.

Is this actually new, or is Google hoodwinking me?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Playing with you guys has stabilized my KDR, and is making it go back up! WOO, back at 1.34 :D (Kyle, Free, Induced, Oozer, Juices) today.

Definitely going to play this game with friends from now on, it's definitely a better experience.

Oozer3993 said:
Google Reader is showing a new Bungie Podcast available.

Is this actually new, or is Google hoodwinking me?

I think that's new bud, I think.

Kibbles

vatstep said:
Can't speak for the MW2 package, but the Reach Legendary Edition has proven to be anything but limited. You can easily order it online for half the price it was selling for (or less) on launch day. Makes it even more hilarious that people were paying out the ass on eBay for just the exclusive DLC. :lol
Geez, and I remember Bungie saying it wasn't going to be the same as the Halo 3 LE, and that it was actually going to be limited. I see you can buy it on Amazon for $79.97. Hmm

Team Objective is my crack. So. Damn. Fun.

I even love the throw-away modes like Headhunter and Stockpile for quick, chaotic intermissions between the 'serious' stuff. :lol

2md2qt5.jpg
2gtw2h4.jpg

The inspiration for my current Spartan permutation. Still doesn't look as cool as the concept art. Can't decide if I should buy the Mark VI.

I just realized I still have the Beta on my hard drive. It's funny how a lot of stuff in the armory got their names swapped out: the CQC Shoulders from Reach were called 'Scout', the Waypoint and Gamestop armor didn't have those grenades I wish you could toggle off, PARA became MultiThreat... The Beta were some good times. The sheathes on the armor didn't even have knives in them yet. :lol Looks like it was placed higher up on the chest, too, so the knife's handle wouldn't clip with any chest accessories. Sad that got lost in the final game. (The Commando chest piece, for instance. The one Carter wears. The knife's even clipping through in cutscenes.)

Hearing all the music they used in its menu makes me wonder where all those variations of the VGA Theme went in the final game, though, especially the bombastic version we heard in their first ViDoc.

Barrow Roll said:
The inspiration for my current Spartan permutation. Still doesn't look as cool as the concept art. Can't decide if I should buy the Mark VI.
That's a really cool Spartan, I like.

darthbob

Barrow Roll said:

You're missing the UA Buckler for your wrist, other than that looks good.

GhaleonEB

One Spartan Army
Kill 150 enemies in Firefight Matchmaking. 1500 cR

No 'I' in Team
Earn 8 assists in a multiplayer Matchmaking game. 1560 cR

Above the Neckline
Kill 3 enemies with headshots in a multiplayer Matchmaking game. 1000 cR

Cannon Fodder
Kill 75 infantry-class foes in the Campaign today. 1750 cR

I'll knock off the Campaign and headshot ones nice and quick.

GhaleonEB said:
One Spartan Army

No 'I' in Team

Above the Neckline

Cannon Fodder

Someone's on Xmas break haha.

I've noticed in the MLG hopper that most folks ONLY go after improving their k/d ratio. In objective games more than once I've been ignored with the flag for the easier kills when the other team is waiting from their hiding spots.

darthbob said:
You're missing the UA Buckler for your wrist, other than that looks good.
Is it the buckler? Hard to tell from the pic. But it would help differentiate my Spartan's arm from Carter's anyways. Bought!

Major Williams said:
I've noticed in the MLG hopper that most folks ONLY go after improving their k/d ratio. In objective games more than once I've been ignored with the flag for the easier kills when the other team is waiting from their hiding spots.

I've noticed the complete opposite my K/D is closer to 1 in the serious MLG games (4v4 nobody quits, good connection, decent skill matched teams) Objectives being going for by most of the players that aren't supporting by using power weapons. Opposed to Team Objective of course, statistically one of my best playlists k/d and win/loss wise(91% wins) but that playlist is nothing but statwhores left and right.

Also starting to love the Nerfle in MLG. Almost no pacing required and so easy to nail headshots...

CozMick

Banned
What kind of fire rate does the DMR need to get 100% accuracy?

I'm fairly new to this game and finding it quite infuriating that the reticule is red but no hits are registered.

Thanks

CozMick said:
What kind of fire rate does the DMR need to get 100% accuracy?

I'm fairly new to this game and finding it quite infuriating that the reticule is red but no hits are registered.

Thanks
The time it takes to reset the reticule, I'd guess. It take some serious getting used to, since the fire rate is so much lower than the BR.

Blueblur1

Gui_PT said:
That one isn't that bad. It's a pain in the ass considering how crappy assists work in this game but it's doable. Just run around with the AR sprayin' fools for 3 or 4 matches and you should be able to complete it.

GhaleonEB said:
One Spartan Army

No 'I' in Team

Above the Neckline

Cannon Fodder

I'll do 3 of 4 challenges today.

Blueblur1 said:
That one isn't that bad. It's a pain in the ass considering how crappy assists work in this game but it's doable. Just run around with the AR sprayin' fools for 3 or 4 matches and you should be able to complete it.
Mmh. It's terrible because you have to get it in one game... :/

Gui_PT

Blueblur1 said:

Thanks. Tried it in an Invasion Slayer match, got that one and the headshots one in the first few minutes.

7k cR in one match? Yes please.

VVVVVEdit: Happy B-Day squidhands!

Blueblur1 said:

No 'I' in Team
Earn 8 assists in A multiplayer Matchmaking game. 1560 cR
I don't find the assists as bad as a lot of GAFfers, but 8 in one game is a little ridiculous. I think I'll skip that one today.

by the way, today is my birthday

Jinjo

Barrow Roll said:
http://i56.tinypic.com/2md2qt5.jpg[IMG] [IMG]http://i55.tinypic.com/2gtw2h4.jpg[IMG]

The inspiration for my current Spartan permutation. Still doesn't look as cool as the concept art. Can't decide if I should buy the Mark VI.[/QUOTE]

That looks pretty cool. Helmet looks kind of a mix between Operator and Mark V[B]. Those are definitely Gugnir kneepads though. Right shoulder pad looks more Hazop than UNSK to me. Still cool though.

ShinAmano

So did Bungie just give up on updating the Spartan images on the website?

Also I did terrible last night...looking to pick it back up tonight.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
squidhands said:
I don't find the assists as bad as a lot of GAFfers, but 8 in one game is a little ridiculous. I think I'll skip that one today.

by the way, today is my birthday

Assists are bad in that the time limit on them isn't long enough, but I see why they are the way they are due to arena, and acting like a kill. 8 in one match is too damn many though for anything that's 1 round.

Happy birthday dude.

squidhands said:
Thanks guys. :D 38 is a really weird age...

:lol

I'll be 30 next week, we're in Ghaleon land, land of the old, the land of Misfit gamers.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
ShinAmano said:
Strategy vs Patience.

It doesn't help enemies in Halo take many more shots (even more than one with headshots in some cases). Beating Legendary alone is impossible for me.

Anyone mind sharing their gamertag to play Firefight in the near future?

Happy Birthday squidhands.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
ICallItFutile said:
It doesn't help enemies in Halo take many more shots (even more than one with headshots in some cases). Beating Legendary alone is impossible for me.

Anyone mind sharing their gamertag to play Firefight in the near future?

Happy Birthday squidhands.

Miguel said plasma pistols for a reason, one overcharge blast will strip most shields away, 2 for everything else that's not being boosted by an Engineer. Then it's only one headshot.

feel

Alienshogun said:
I'll be 30 next week, we're in Ghaleon land, land of the old, the land of Misfit gamers.
Ouch, you should just switch now to one hundred posts per page in preparation. It's kind of like the moving to Florida of gaf.

Alienshogun said:
Assists are bad in that the time limit on them isn't long enough, but I see why they are the way they are due to arena, and acting like a kill. 8 in one match is too damn many though for anything that's 1 round.

Happy birthday dude.

:lol

I'm only averaging 2.4 assists per game, which I guess is pretty shitty, lol. I noticed that I didn't have a problem getting the assist challenge from the other day, but I had to really change up my playstyle to get them. That is a pretty big problem and I can see why so many of the better players are frustrated with how assists work in Reach.

Dax01 said:
omg you're older than ghaleon how is this possible
Thankfully I'm not the oldest guy on NeoGAF. :lol

Letters said:
Ouch, you should just switch now to one hundred posts per page in preparation. It's kind of like the moving to Florida of gaf.
It's funny because I just switched over to 100 posts per page, and will never look back. Now get off my lawn!

2094qoy.jpg

Top Bottom