• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Arnie

Devin Olsen said:
there was almost no reason to sit and idle in Halo 3.

if your team lost you gain nothing... In Halo: Reach you gain cR no matter what, win or loss.
Yes there was, it was called boosting. They would either idle or quite the game which is essentially the same thing in terms of the effect it has on the rest of the team. Players would do this to game the Trueskill system into believing they were worse than they actually were in order to match worse players so they could rank up easier.

Maybe you didn't experience this much because you played with a different section of the community as I did, but take it from me it was present and(at least in the MLG playlists) much more prevalent even than it is in Reach.

kylej

Banned
BROTHERS AND SISTERS I NEED YOUR HELP. MUST BLAIN SCRUBS ASAP. SEND MESSAGE TO JELYK THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Good games Kyle, Juices, and Free. Pooping on kids is always fun, sucks when lag was abusing us though.

At least we have figured out that Reach does indeed lend itself to bad kids. They can hide behind all the AAs, Pro fixes that, thus the poop ensues.

Also, wtf is up with these Melee/Sticky kids? They need to go back to COD.

MrBig

That can't have possibly done legitly. Most likely someone in his party had never been in the playlist before and they got matched with scrubs.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ramirez said:
Good lord, Evade is so STUPID.
Best armor ability ever, next to Armor Lock.

For real, I use evade over Sprint every time. So many people still can't deal with the confusion it brings, or turn around fast enough because they're sensitivity is on 1 for leet snipes or something.

GhaleonEB

Thing is, I like all of the armor abilities, I just don't like them all in multiplayer. Personally, I wouldn't put Armor Lock, Evade or the Drop Shield in multiplayer, at all, ever. They have their place in Campaign and Firefight but don't suit a competitive environment at all.

Remove those from MP across the board and the game would be stronger for it.

Evade is fun in, say, Sniperfight for Score Attack. Slayer? Not so much.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
enzo_gt said:
Wait, isn't there sprint in MLG? If not, why do Pro™s choose evade over sprint?

Everyone has sprint, you start with it. Evade is a pick up and if used correctly is really tough to kill someone who has it.

Ram said:
So you see no problem with the lunge in the first few seconds of that video? It's so retarded.

I think the distance should be shortened a little. You can evade so fucking far. However, there's only 1 on the map total. It's a power weapon but if used correctly can last a long ass time. Plus, that's Ghostayame in the video and other pros beating up on scrubs. You can't use that video as something to measure how balanced things are. Put him against other pros or even decent players and he wouldn't be evading everywhere like that.

Well for some reason one of my teammates in Firefight decided for the last 3 minutes he'll just concussion rifle me so I blow around and my screen shakes... that was FUN!

For fucks sake remove that weapon from the ENTIRE game.

Also I had this weird game in MM earlier where I had 14 kills but got the Perfection...still a bit confused by that.

zumphry

Banned
So, for this Sniperfight match on Corvette, I got 7666 cR due to completing the Weekly, and getting this little gem:

onyx_large_infantrykill_firefight.png

:D

...but I'm still 3436 cR away from Colonel. General+Security helmet's gonna take until the announcement of Aerospace 3 for me

:(

Ramirez

Tashi0106 said:
Everyone has sprint, you start with it. Evade is a pick up and if used correctly is really tough to kill someone who has it.

I think the distance should be shortened a little. You can evade so fucking far. However, there's only 1 on the map total. It's a power weapon but if used correctly can last a long ass time. Plus, that's Ghostayame in the video and other pros beating up on scrubs. You can't use that video as something to measure how balanced things are. Put him against other pros or even decent players and he wouldn't be evading everywhere like that.

I mean I realize the guy is great, but that doesn't even really have anything to do with my problem with it. The way it makes players just fly some times looks stupid, and makes fighting them even worse, just doesn't fit in the game, IMO.

10000cR
This Is How We Do It
Complete 9 Campaign missions on Heroic.

1750cR
More than a Handful
Kill 77 enemies in multiplayer Matchmaking.

1000cR
One Spartan Army
Kill 100 enemies in Firefight Matchmaking.

1000cR
Heroic Killagruntjaro!
Earn 10 multikills in a Firefight Matchmaking game on Heroic or harder.

1100cR
Sweep the Leg
Perform an Assassination in a multiplayer Matchmaking game.

Weekly:
This Is How We Do It
Complete 9 Campaign missions on Heroic. 10000cR

Daily:
More than a Handful
Kill 77 enemies in multiplayer Matchmaking. 1750cR

One Spartan Army
Kill 100 enemies in Firefight Matchmaking. 1000cR

Heroic Killagruntjaro!
Earn 10 multikills in a Firefight Matchmaking game on Heroic or harder. 1000cR

Sweep the Leg
Perform an Assassination in a multiplayer Matchmaking game. 1100cR

I guess it's a perfect weekly for Ghal. :lol

Edit: Oh nooooo Juice beat me!

GhaleonEB

Blue Ninja said:
Heh, I lol'ed when I saw that weekly. That was the game's first weekly too, wasn't it?
Yup.

Code:
Date	                Challenge                                     	cR
September 14-19      	Complete 9 Campaign missions on Heroic. 	5000
December 27-January 1	Complete 9 Campaign missions on Heroic. 	10000
First Weekly to repeat, thought the cR payout doubled.

Only thing I don't like about it is Campaign pays out crap for other credits. Both Commendations and Game Complete bonuses are severely gimped. With something like a FF or MP one, buckets of credits are earned along the way. Here it will be a couple hundred per mission.

I'll take it, though. :D

GhaleonEB said:
Yup.

Code:
Date	                Challenge                                     	cR
September 14-19      	Complete 9 Campaign missions on Heroic. 	5000
December 27-January 1	Complete 9 Campaign missions on Heroic. 	10000
First Weekly to repeat, thought the cR payout doubled.

Only thing I don't like about it is Campaign pays out crap for other credits. Both Commendations and Game Complete bonuses are severely gimped.

I'll take it, though. :D
Indeed. I'll start on it tonight and play some firefight during my study break now.

Hypertrooper said:
Weekly:
This Is How We Do It
Complete 9 Campaign missions on Heroic. 10000cR
NIIIIIICE.

Love this campaign. And it may seem like a small note to touch upon, but its fun to go back to the campaign cut-scenes with your latest armor and colors. Its almost like your multiplayer experiences play out as Noble Six's backstory for when you land on Reach, for the first time, yet again.

Its very Dr. Manhattanish.

Arnie

I'll get all four dailies but after just finishing my Legendary run on Christmas Eve, that Weekly can forget about it.

Louis Wu

Arnie said:
I'll get all four dailies but after just finishing my Legendary run on Christmas Eve, that Weekly can forget about it.
Realize that it doesn't say 9 UNIQUE levels - if you wanted to, you could speed-run Nightfall 9 times, and knock this Weekly out in 45 minutes.

Arnie

Louis Wu said:
Realize that it doesn't say 9 UNIQUE levels - if you wanted to, you could speed-run Nightfall 9 times, and knock this Weekly out in 45 minutes.
My lord, what have you done...

NullPointer said:
NIIIIIICE.

Love this campaign. And it may seem like a small note to touch upon, but its fun to go back to the campaign cut-scenes with your latest armor and colors. Its almost like your multiplayer experiences play out as Noble Six's backstory for when you land on Reach, for the first time, yet again.

Its very Dr. Manhattanish.
Yes it is. :D

21wghk.jpg

edit: I think I may try out the campaign matchmaking for the weekly challenge. I checked yesterday and there were less than 800 people playing, so there might be a chance to go at it solo. I'll report my findings.

I love Invasion Slayer on Hemo. It's really a awesome mode, bungie! Especially if you are the elite. You get awesome weapons like the focus rifle. The territories are on the spartan side. We got only the weapon drop one time! THe best thing is: The spartans had two scorpions! Yeah. It's a amazing mode. Elites have no rocket launcher, no sniper rifle, no DMR. The last game remind me why I avoid the Invasion Slayer playlist.

Invasion Slayer could be interesting if it only were a normal Elite vs. Slayer without these stupid weapon/vehicle drops.

But good games, Barrow Roll, Zayne and Gui.

pakkit

Banned
xxjuicesxx said:
10000cR
This Is How We Do It
Complete 9 Campaign missions on Heroic.
Guess it's time to finally play through the campaign.

I love the Focus Rifle, one of the most underrated weapons in the game.

pakkit said:
Guess it's time to finally play through the campaign.

I love the Focus Rifle, one of the most underrated weapons in the game.
It's sort of good against Banshees. But it isn't a "One Shoot Kill" weapon like the sniper rifle. Furthermore you can use the Sniper Rifle against Wraiths and Scorpions but the Focus Rifle is just a joke compare to it.

pakkit

Banned
Hypertrooper said:
It's sort of good against Banshees. But it isn't a "One Shoot Kill" weapon like the sniper rifle. Furthermore you can use the Sniper Rifle against Wraiths and Scorpions but the Focus Rifle is just a joke compare to it.
Multiplayer-wise it's a great pickup. It's mostly a mid to long-range weapon. If you can catch the other player unawares you're almost guaranteed a kill, plus the near-constant damage means that if you're likely going to score the kill so it's a nice cleanup weapon too.

pakkit said:
Multiplayer-wise it's a great pickup. It's mostly a mid to long-range weapon. If you can catch the other player unawares you're almost guaranteed a kill, plus the near-constant damage means that if you're likely going to score the kill so it's a nice cleanup weapon too.
I have nothing against it in TS(4vs4). But if you play a mode like Invasion Slayer, the Elites have a disadvantage because the FR isn't that powerful. The SR is a multipurpose weapon. It is wreckful against tanks and other vehicles. And it's lethal.
Another disadvantages of the FR is: the enemy can follow the beam of the FR and knows directly where the user hides.
Now my opinion: The focus rifle is a lethal weapon on small - medium-scale maps.

pakkit

Banned
Hypertrooper said:
I have nothing against it in TS(4vs4). But if you play a mode like Invasion Slayer, the Elites have a disadvantage because the FR isn't that powerful. The SR is a multipurpose weapon. It is wreckful against tanks and other vehicles. And it's lethal.
Another disadvantages of the FR is: the enemy can follow the beam of the FR and knows directly where the user hides.
Now my opinion: The focus rifle is a lethal weapon on small - medium-scale maps.
No disagreement there. Although the SR's trails make it tracable too. Still, I'd never pickup the Focus Rifle over the Sniper Rifle.

Gui_PT said:
I just heard the Wilhelm scream on a Tip of the Spear cutscene :lol
I once heard a completely distorted scream there, it was really weird. When I tried to check it in theater mode, however, the scream was back to normal. :(

GhaleonEB

Thinking about it though, it makes sense the Challenge would circle back again. For a lot of people, they just got the game on Christmas, so this is their first week with it. For those with the game already, it's just gravy.

Top Bottom