• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I'm not very good, but I am playing regularly and the random people are really starting to annoy me. Anyone non-hyper competitive please add me:

GT: Guileless

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
GhaleonEB said:
Yup.

Code:
Date	                Challenge                                     	cR
September 14-19      	Complete 9 Campaign missions on Heroic. 	5000
December 27-January 1	Complete 9 Campaign missions on Heroic. 	10000
First Weekly to repeat, thought the cR payout doubled.

Only thing I don't like about it is Campaign pays out crap for other credits. Both Commendations and Game Complete bonuses are severely gimped. With something like a FF or MP one, buckets of credits are earned along the way. Here it will be a couple hundred per mission.

I'll take it, though. :D

yeah, great weekly. i'm looking forward to playing through , from start to finish, again. i got a few campaign commendations that this will most certainly push over the edge as well :)

Zel3

equil said:
Wait you beat the whole campaign in less than 30 minutes?

You can speed run Nightfall, use the Flawless Cowboy glitch where you save and quit out in a cut scene on Winter Contingency or you can just beat the 9 missions normally.

Plenty of options.

Nutter

Oh Tashi... Just because it is mlg it doesnt mean you have to defend it.. Evade is fucking stupid, in MLG and in the main game. It should stay in campaign along with drop shield and armor lock. There are way too many power weapons/items in mlg right now, Rockets, snipers and then evade. As you can see in the video the winning team had all three so how the fuck would the other team win in that case?

Also like omlet im of the opinion that evade should have been elites only, like bungle originally stated it would be... But bungle being bungle they fucked up the balance.

So im hoping they have an TU in the works, armor lock = spartans only, evade = elites only , no drop sheild in objective modes. Bloom and armor lock need rebalancing, bloom is very random and it kills me because i have played, enjoyed halo all these years and even put up with bs matchmaking choices and now the general flow of the game is beyond halo to me.. (im talking mp only) it sad to see halo become what it has.

P.s true skill doesnt work for shit in this game.

Gui_PT

Omg, I started a Heroic run and I was going to finish the whole game without dying. Unfortunately, someone distracted me and when I looked back at the screen, I had a golden Elite with a sword right in front of me =(

Ended the game with 1 death. Hurray? =\

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Nutter said:
Oh Tashi... Just because it is mlg it doesnt mean you have to defend it.. Evade is fucking stupid, in MLG and in the main game. It should stay in campaign along with drop shield and armor lock. There are way too many power weapons/items in mlg right now, Rockets, snipers and then evade. As you can see in the video the winning team had all three so how the fuck would the other team win in that case?

Also like omlet im of the opinion that evade should have been elites only, like bungle originally stated it would be... But bungle being bungle they fucked up the balance.

So im hoping they have an TU in the works, armor lock = spartans only, evade = elites only , no drop sheild in objective modes. Bloom and armor lock need rebalancing, bloom is very random and it kills me because i have played, enjoyed halo all these years and even put up with bs matchmaking choices and now the general flow of the game is beyond halo to me.. (im talking mp only) it sad to see halo become what it has.

Yeah, I tend to agree, AAs just shit the game up with randomness. When we play Slayer Pro we completely cream these bad kids, when they get to hide behind AA cheese, it's hit or miss. I can't stand the AAs (aside from sprint) in this game for multiplayer matchmaking. They really did make the game easier for shit players to get kills with AAs and powerful grenades.

Gui_PT said:
Omg, I started a Heroic run and I was going to finish the whole game without dying. Unfortunately, someone distracted me and when I looked back at the screen, I had a golden Elite with a sword right in front of me =(

Ended the game with 1 death. Hurray? =\

"He died with a plasma sword through his abdomen."

Nutter said:

But but I like "Evade".

Alienshogun said:
Yeah, I tend to agree, AAs just shit the game up with randomness. When we play Slayer Pro we completely cream these bad kids, when they get to hide behind AA cheese, it's hit or miss. I can't stand the AAs (aside from sprint) in this game for multiplayer matchmaking. They really did make the game easier for shit players to get kills with AAs and powerful grenades.
This is why I'm glad MLG has their own playlist, otherwise it'd evolve into removing most of the just-for-kicks aspects of Reach. This isn't snark or anti MLG sentiment - I'm just damn glad the main game isn't expected to have some of these changes.

Arena and MLG for ultra competitive, and fuck around goodness everywhere else.

Basically this is a pre-emptive and defensive way to say keep your bloody hands off my jetpack. Yeah. First they came for Armor Lock... I'm watching you.

NullPointer said:
Basically this is a pre-emptive and defensive way to say keep your bloody hands off my jetpack. Yeah. First they came for Armor Lock... I'm watching you.
I'm a huge fan of the jetpack, but I think I've crossed over into the camp that wants Armor Lock out of Halo.

Nutter said:

While I agree about trueskill, I think thinking of evade as a power weapon is a great analogy. I am happy they put powerups into MLG because it changes the game for the better. That really is an opinion and you can take it or leave it, but the stakes seem the same, and if you are good enough, you can balance any AA with your DMR in the MLG settings.

Again, just an opinion, but that's what I've surmised from the vids I've watched of pros and my own experience. In that 50-0 vid, there were at least 3 times where the player could have died if they players he was against had any skill at all.

Dax01 said:
I'm a huge fan of the jetpack, but I think I've crossed over into the camp that wants Armor Lock out of Halo.
I'll actually meet you half way on that one. I consider AL to be one of the best additions to Halo's anti-vehicle mix, so I'd prefer keeping it in any vehicle focused gametypes like BTB. But for straight infantry matchups it doesn't really add spice to combat as much as it negates a player's best efforts at getting a kill, especially when most of a team is using it.

I wouldn't mind it as much if it was a pick-up on the map though, limiting its use to a single player. In fact, whatever happened to AAs as pickups in maps?

*hugs his jetpack*

GhaleonEB

op_ivy said:
yeah, great weekly. i'm looking forward to playing through , from start to finish, again. i got a few campaign commendations that this will most certainly push over the edge as well :)
Yeah mine are all in the Silver/Bronze/Iron range, with a few close to notching up as well. I was looking at them this weekend thinking of a strategy to work on them, and this is the motivation I needed. Gonna be using a lot of automatic weapons...

Arnie

Nutter said:
This. My god games are rarely balanced skill wise. At least in prior games we had some visual notification of our skill levels. I just had a game before where we won 50 - 3 and yesterday I won 50 - 7. Bungie really needs to address this problem.

Whilst I despise Armour Lock in its current form I think it could work much better if all it did was protect against impact damage such as vehicle's attempting to splatter the player or direct melee's. I think small arms projectiles like bullets and the fragmentation from a grenade should still damage the armour locker. This way AL becomes really useful in big team matches where vehicles can often dominate whereas not very effective in infantry matches.

Oh and thanks Wu, got my weekly. Lieutenant Colonel Grade 2 now.

Arnie said:
Whilst I despise Armour Lock in its current form I think it could work much better if all it did was protect against impact damage such as vehicle's attempting to splatter the player or direct melee's. I think small arms projectiles like bullets and the fragmentation from a grenade should still damage the armour locker. This way AL becomes really useful in big team matches where vehicles can often dominate whereas not very effective in infantry matches.
Or along similar lines, think of the "slow blade defeats the shield" from Dune. Let them armor lock, but have a minimum duration of half the juice/time whenever they activate it. And then allow assassinations from any angle.

Good for invulnerability for everything except the slow blade. Its got a kind of poetic balance to it.

Dax01 said:
It doesn't need to be out necessarily, just extremely lessened. Encountering one dude with AL is one thing, an entire team of Elites with it is just putrid. I wouldn't mind seeing gametypes other than the pro ones without AL altogether, and the ones that do have it get no grenades and only one weapon. If you want to slow down the game that much, Mr. Armor Lock Lover, then by god you're going to have to hunt for decent weapons/grenades.

Striker

Armor Lock is fine for larger, or vehicle oriented maps. Why they decide to put a vehicle-oriented AA for maps like Countdown, Zealot, and Sword Base, for instance, is unusual. Serves no purpose other than to deflect grenades, which is fine, but the habit becomes excruciating.

None of it fits behind reasoning. I guess that question is raised in the same depth as to why Drop Shields are still in objective modes, and why Evade is available (for Spartans) while Hologram, or Jetpack, is ignored.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
NullPointer said:
This is why I'm glad MLG has their own playlist, otherwise it'd evolve into removing most of the just-for-kicks aspects of Reach. This isn't snark or anti MLG sentiment - I'm just damn glad the main game isn't expected to have some of these changes.

Arena and MLG for ultra competitive, and fuck around goodness everywhere else.

The problem with the playlist is not enough people are playing it, so, once you move past the scrubs you either play people who are REALLY good, people from other countries or people with REALLY good connections, either way, it ruins it.

IMO, all of those AAs can get removed and the game would be better for it, even your beloved jetpack.

Slayer Pro is everything Reach should be IMO.

MrBig

Armor Lock Hero "discussion" again?
61vx3rq.gif

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
NullPointer said:
When you ignore much of the game elements, sure.

Stay in your MLG hole. ;P

Like I said, MLG doesn't work real well currently due to how the trueskill works. Last night every game we played we ended up playing people across the ocean, and the lag was terrible.

I don't consider taking out crutches to being a shitty player ignoring game elements.

All of the AAs just enable bad players to use something to make kills easier, same with how grenades work, Bungie just made it easier for bad players to not get completely shit on.

Slayer Pro, removes that, and it shows, bad kids will get shit on every time.

I actually prefer Slayer Pro to the MLG list, it's a shame most of the community likes the shitty AAs though.

GhaleonEB

MrBig said:
It's the new BR vs. AR. And not sure why you put "discussion" in quotes, this is pretty civil given the topic. Though there isn't a lot new to say about it.

I still maintain that armor lock should just protect the user from the time they activate it for a brief, fixed period, and lose all its secondary effects (EMP, vehicle nukage, sticky shedding, etc.).

I also don't think it will ever be adjusted, so that's that.

Alienshogun said:
Slayer Pro, removes that, and it shows, bad kids will get shit on every time.
Once again, this is why I'm glad the MLG playlist exists.

I don't play Halo to shit on people for kicks, nor do I put winning by any means above other considerations. You'll find me categorized on the xbox under "recreation", and man do I wish that category meant something - then I could avoid all the "pros" and "underground" folk.

Reminds me of my Quake 3 playing days where the "best" players would reduce all the image quality settings down to zero to get that edge over the competition. I just can't find the fun in that mindset, but I don't begrudge you wanting that kindof game - as long as it doesn't spill over and remove what makes Reach, Reach, for me.

I played a lot of Firefight. The main reason was the weekly challenge. Before Halo: Reach came out I had hoped that the HaloGAF user would post many crazy firefight gametypes. But since today only one person(I believe) posted his Firefight creation. Now I want to present you:
The weekly HaloGAF firefight challenge!
WORD WORD WORD! So what is it? Every week I'll post a new firefight mode. And you try to get the highest score in this mode! WOW! Post your stats in this thread and let see who is the best firefight-player in this thread. (Should I exclude Ghal from this competition?)
The gametype is: Gruntpoc... OMG! WTF?! by me.
  • There are no prizes. It's just fun.
  • You can post your Bungie.net stats till Sunday(01.02.11) 8am(PST/5pm GMT/1pm EST)
  • The first challenge will be "solo"-only. No coop, because I want to see if HaloGAF is interested in this sort of competition.
  • There has to be stats on bungie.net.

If you have a crazy firefight gametype, you should send me a pm. Maybe we could play it next week?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Nutter said:

Whoa whoa, don't point me out as a mindless MLG defender. I'm not some 16 year old MLG forum kid who doesn't know anything other than MLGpro.com. This is just MLG v2 and it's going to take a whole lot time before it becomes great like v7 in Halo 3 was. I think if Evade was a loadout it would be a tragedy. However since there is ever only 1 on the map total at one time, it makes a world of difference. I don't think evade is perfect in its current state in MLG. Maybe the distance needs to be shortened or speed slowed down, I'm not sure. I don't think though that it's the worst thing to ever happen. When you play it you realize it doesn't have a huge effect on the matches. I think if used correctly it could be very dangerous and it's worth calling out which player has it but it much harder to change the flow of a match with it like you could with a set of rockets or even a great sniper. 1v1 battles though it's a clear cut advantage. You still need to know the map and know where players are before you just roll out of a battle. I'm just trying to be open minded about everything in Reach since it's so different. I'm not as vanilla as I used to be lol.

MrBig

GhaleonEB said:
It's the new BR vs. AR. And not sure why you put "discussion" in quotes, this is pretty civil given the topic. Though there isn't a lot new to say about it.
I meant that its always the same thing that's being talked about so they're not really discussing anything.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
NullPointer said:
Once again, this is why I'm glad the MLG playlist exists.

I don't play Halo to shit on people for kicks, nor do I put winning by any means above other considerations. You'll find me categorized on the xbox under "recreation", and man do I wish that category meant something - then I could avoid all the "pros" and "underground" folk.

Reminds me of my Quake 3 playing days where the "best" players would reduce all the image quality settings down to zero to get that edge over the competition. I just can't find the fun in that mindset, but I don't begrudge you wanting that kindof game - as long as it doesn't spill over and remove what makes Reach, Reach, for me.

I don't take Reach super seriously, but Halo by nature is super competitive, even when playing recreationally, I know what you are talking about with Q3 though, I was one of those guys, and played Quake 1 very very competitively.

The AAs simply add too much crap to the formula and make the game un-fun for me, kinda like noob tubes in COD and such. I'll take gun fights over AA fights any day.

MrBig said:
I meant that its always the same thing that's being talked about so they're not really discussing anything.

We're talking about AAs in general, but AL is the worst offender of the bunch, then camo campers, then jetpackers IMO.

Jetpack simply breaks too many maps, especially wide open maps in Forge world, in fact, those ARE the maps it breaks. I don't have a problem with it in any non forge world map.

The other two AAs are self explanatory.

On a brighter note, my Birthday present just arrived! Woo a new Kindle!

Hey You

Thanks to the weekly, I reached a million credits
OMG no life

I bought Pestilence. I'll see if I regret it, but I guess it will be better than my Heart Effect:lol .

Gui_PT

GhaleonEB said:
I also don't think it will ever be adjusted, so that's that.

And they won't remove it from MM because there's an achievement that depends on it.

So no matter how bad AL is, people just have to get used to it.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Gui_PT said:
And they won't remove it from MM because there's an achievement that depends on it.

They could relegate it to BTB only, which is where it belongs, and would have absolutely no adverse effect on the AA.

I'm just glad nobody is pissed at people who use active camo enough to demand Bungie to change it (though I don't think Bungie is really going to change armor lock in any significant way because of the community outcry). Using camo effectively when losing a fight to come back and win the encounter is one of the most satisfying things to me in Halo, and when I find myself with 2+ teammates within range I always turn it on to give them cover which often turns the tide of a team v team encounter (even though my teammates probably don't notice). They notice the other team's desperation in trying to fight 3 guys while they're radar is jammed though :D

I get so much hate mail from recent players about it, too :lol

Gui_PT

Alienshogun said:
They could relegate it to BTB only, which is where it belongs, and would have absolutely no adverse effect on the AA.

That would actually be great. AL has a nice role on huge maps with tons of vehicle action.

Problem is people spamming it in small/crowded maps while using shotgun/sword or doing the melee+AL+melee crap.

GhaleonEB

MrBig said:
No argument there. But we're still playing Reach, so we're bound to have bouts of commenting on stuff we like - and dislike - about playing Reach. The path will be well worn by the end.

Random note: I'd love to see January's FF variant be Firefight Classic. Unlimited Sets, limited lives, as ODST was. Would make for some great marathons with GAFers over the weekend. The cR payout for lasting a couple of Sets would be immense.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Gui_PT said:
That would actually be great. AL has a nice role on huge maps with tons of vehicle action.

Problem is people spamming it in small/crowded maps while using shotgun/sword or doing the melee+AL+melee crap.

Exactly, in fact, in open vehicle maps its inherent downsides actually become active, such as being caught in the wide open while everyone waits to wreck you. In small maps/encounters it's simply a noob tool/get out of jail free card. This becomes even more apparent in BTB matches on small maps.

GhaleonEB said:
No argument there. But we're still playing Reach, so we're bound to have bouts of commenting on stuff we like - and dislike - about playing Reach. The path will be well worn by the end.

Random note: I'd love to see January's FF variant be Firefight Classic. Unlimited Sets, limited lives, as ODST was. Would make for some great marathons with GAFers over the weekend. The cR payout for lasting a couple of Sets would be immense.

That's exactly what needs to happen, I completely agree.

Gui_PT said:

I think the reason is because Bungie tested their game to death and poured so much love and tender care into every aspect that AL is designed to belong in the game and add to the experience, not take away from it. Unfortunately, not everybody sees it that way. Those people tend to forget though that Bungie is the boss and what they say goes... and the motivations behind most of their decisions aren't influenced by your emotional attachment to traditional Halo gameplay.

The fact that many fans find AL annoying and game-breaking is regrettable, unfortunate, but it was probably totally expected. Dissatisfaction among loyal fans an unfortunate effect when changing gameplay elements because the more you like something the harder it is to accept it when it changes, but Bungie did it because Bungie is going to do what Bungie thinks is best for their product. The community's distaste for AL here and at b.net is such a tiny selection of the overall Halo populations that your opinions here and the associated rage that comes with it is largely ignored and labeled as "Halo fans who freak the fuck out about the smallest change to their gameplay experience." Bungie's more interested in solid proof about how AL ruins the game, not emotional conjecture, because 1) its your opinion amid a sea of data that effectively proves Halo Reach is very popular... which means change is very hard to justify without solid, tangible evidence that AL "diminishes the overall experience" and 2) Bungie firmly believes AL is a fun-to-use gameplay mechanic that changes up gameplay a little bit.

Also, you really really can't say Bungie doesn't care or refuses to listen. They won't "fix" AL because they don't think its broken, but to help they've made more competitive playlists that doesn't feature AL at all. If the data shows a dramatic shift to playlists that don't feature AL over playlists that do, then perhaps changes will be considered. In the meantime, I'm just glad Bungie cares about even the minority of their fanbase to give us our own AL-less playlists - its part of why I'm a Halo fan and why Bungie is so different from other game companies.

post isn't directed to you Gui personally, I just haven't voiced my opinion on the whole issue yet and am really LTTP ;)

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Gui_PT said:
This is the worst. I played a game a few days ago where I went in for a melee on a guy (his shields were down, mine were not), and he blocked it with AL, "un-locked" which stripped my shields, and then melee'd me for the kill while I was still stuck in that post-melee pause/animation. I didn't fall for that shit again, but it seems like everyone else did — he finished the match with like 11 EMPs and 18 melee kills or something like that.

AL just really shouldn't be able to be used as a twitch defense tactic like that, and you shouldn't be able to activate/deactivate it four times in ten seconds. It should either have a fixed time period, or be a one-time use every twenty seconds or so, regardless of how long you stay locked.

xxjuicesxx said:
Get 4 shotted. Also BRIGADIER!!!!!!! Took like 10 hours of straight gaming. :lol

You got your wings? Lucky. Hopefully today's challenges will put a nice dent towards me getting mine. Fun playing with you guys last night.

So since others have stated their main complaint of the game, here's mine: Grenades. These things single handidly ruin my experience in matches. I've seriously had games where I've died 2-3 times tops by a gun. It's freakin ridiculous! I don't understand how anyone could have tested a bunch of matches and not seen the nade spam being an issue. Fortheloveofgod.gif, do NOT make corpses drop nades. There's nothing more ridiculous than having 6 or 7 nades thrown into your room in succession. It's seriously frustrating to get pooped on by bad players that you out gun every firefight because they just lob grenades at you 90 percent of the time :| end/rant

Seriously though, there's a great reason to play SWAT, no stupid grenades. Hell, no silly AA's either.

Gui_PT

Self Induced said:
I think the reason is because Bungie tested their game to death and poured so much love and tender care into every aspect that AL is designed to belong in the game and add to the experience, not take away from it. Unfortunately, not everybody sees it that way. Those people tend to forget though that Bungie is the boss and what they say goes... and the motivations behind most of their decisions aren't influenced by your emotional attachment to traditional Halo gameplay.

The fact that many fans find AL annoying and game-breaking is regrettable, unfortunate, but it was probably totally expected. Dissatisfaction among loyal fans an unfortunate effect when changing gameplay elements because the more you like something the harder it is to accept it when it changes, but Bungie did it because Bungie is going to do what Bungie thinks is best for their product. The community's distaste for AL here and at b.net is such a tiny selection of the overall Halo populations that your opinions here and the associated rage that comes with it is largely ignored and labeled as "Halo fans who freak the fuck out about the smallest change to their gameplay experience." Bungie's more interested in solid proof about how AL ruins the game, not emotional conjecture, because 1) its your opinion amid a sea of data that effectively proves Halo Reach is very popular... which means change is very hard to justify without solid, tangible evidence that AL "diminishes the overall experience" and 2) Bungie firmly believes AL is a fun-to-use gameplay mechanic that changes up gameplay a little bit.

Also, you really really can't say Bungie doesn't care or refuses to listen. They won't "fix" AL because they don't think its broken, but to help they've made more competitive playlists that doesn't feature AL at all. If the data shows a dramatic shift to playlists that don't feature AL over playlists that do, then perhaps changes will be considered. In the meantime, I'm just glad Bungie cares about even the minority of their fanbase to give us our own AL-less playlists - its part of why I'm a Halo fan and why Bungie is so different from other game companies.

post isn't directed to you Gui personally, I just haven't voiced my opinion on the whole issue yet and am really LTTP ;)

I completely understand what you're saying. They absolutely know what they're doing and they won't changed their game based on opinions.

I actually thought the majority of the players agreed that AL breaks the game. I don't see how people can see it's fun to use. But as you said, they'z the boss.

Great post btw.

Top Bottom