• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

GhaleonEB

Alienshogun said:
That's exactly what needs to happen, I completely agree.
It occurred to me when looking at my career stats using the in-game browser. And there's a stat under Firefight for most Sets completed - which is one, of course. I want to make that like, five. :D

I think it would really change the dynamic of the game. I'd be much less about points and more about self-preservation. So instead of heading down next to a drop ship when it dumps guys off to drop a grenade at their feet - usually killing 5-6 in one blow, at the risk of my own demise - I'd play more conservatively. And ordnance like the Target Locater would have to be deployed much more carefully. Plus, we never have any of those Last Man Standing scenarios, which I miss.

Nutter

Not going to disagree the fact that bungie is the boss and the fact that they wanted to change up halo, however when my friends list which the majority of played halo 3 day in day out all stop playing the game then did they really gain anything from changing the game as they have?

They can keep the game as is it. I personally will not go back to Halo 3 because i have played that game to death, i wanted a new coat of fresh paint on the same wall but i got a new wall instead and i personally do not like it and apparently my friends list feels the same. Makes me that much more hopefull that 343's Halo will bring back the halo i liked.

Also tashi that wasnt meant to call you out on the mlg crap . Just pointing out that evade does not belong in spartan vs spartan gameplay.

I clearly remember Bungie stating how they wanted to slow down gameplay a tad bit, but to me it seems somewhere along in development they thought this is too slow and came up with evade which makes sense for the elites but the spartans doing the same is just beyond dumb. Also increasing grenade damage and splash damage feom explosions is not called slowing down encounters.

Nutter said:
Not going to disagree the fact that bungie is the boss and the fact that they wanted to change up halo, however when my friends list which the majority of played halo 3 day in day out all stop playing the game then did they really gain anything from changing the game as they have?

They can keep the game as is it. I personally will not go back to Halo 3 because i have played that game to death, i wanted a new coat of fresh paint on the same wall but i got a new wall instead and i personally do not like it and apparently my friends list feels the same. Makes me that much more hopefull that 343's Halo will bring back the halo i liked.

Also tashi that wasnt meant to call you out on the mlg crap . Just pointing out that evade does not belong in spartan vs spartan gameplay.

I clearly remember Bungie stating how they wanted to slow down gameplay a tad bit, but to me it seems somewhere along in development they thought this is too slow and came up with evade which makes sense for the elites but the spartans doing the same is just beyond dumb. Also increasing grenade damage and splash damage feom explosions is not called slowing down encounters.

I miss you too nutter butter.

NullPointer said:
Or along similar lines, think of the "slow blade defeats the shield" from Dune. Let them armor lock, but have a minimum duration of half the juice/time whenever they activate it. And then allow assassinations from any angle.

Good for invulnerability for everything except the slow blade. Its got a kind of poetic balance to it.

Some where frankie is aroused.

Self Induced said:
I think the reason is because Bungie tested their game to death and poured so much love and tender care into every aspect that AL is designed to belong in the game and add to the experience, not take away from it. Unfortunately, not everybody sees it that way. Those people tend to forget though that Bungie is the boss and what they say goes... and the motivations behind most of their decisions aren't influenced by your emotional attachment to traditional Halo gameplay.

The fact that many fans find AL annoying and game-breaking is regrettable, unfortunate, but it was probably totally expected. Dissatisfaction among loyal fans an unfortunate effect when changing gameplay elements because the more you like something the harder it is to accept it when it changes, but Bungie did it because Bungie is going to do what Bungie thinks is best for their product. The community's distaste for AL here and at b.net is such a tiny selection of the overall Halo populations that your opinions here and the associated rage that comes with it is largely ignored and labeled as "Halo fans who freak the fuck out about the smallest change to their gameplay experience." Bungie's more interested in solid proof about how AL ruins the game, not emotional conjecture, because 1) its your opinion amid a sea of data that effectively proves Halo Reach is very popular... which means change is very hard to justify without solid, tangible evidence that AL "diminishes the overall experience" and 2) Bungie firmly believes AL is a fun-to-use gameplay mechanic that changes up gameplay a little bit.

Also, you really really can't say Bungie doesn't care or refuses to listen. They won't "fix" AL because they don't think its broken, but to help they've made more competitive playlists that doesn't feature AL at all. If the data shows a dramatic shift to playlists that don't feature AL over playlists that do, then perhaps changes will be considered. In the meantime, I'm just glad Bungie cares about even the minority of their fanbase to give us our own AL-less playlists - its part of why I'm a Halo fan and why Bungie is so different from other game companies.

post isn't directed to you Gui personally, I just haven't voiced my opinion on the whole issue yet and am really LTTP ;)
Good post.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Tashi0106 said:
:lol I promoted you now

I was just funnin'! :D I've been watching Pacific all day, and now I'm messing with my Kindle.

Hydranockz said:
Says the guy who is playing through Winter Contingency in record-breaking times :p

Hey, they fucked me by resetting my campaign, I'm just getting paypack! Yeah, I know it's just a bug, but meh, got me the weekly done in 30 minutes. What does that have to do with me talking about Jtv though?

GhaleonEB said:
It occurred to me when looking at my career stats using the in-game browser. And there's a stat under Firefight for most Sets completed - which is one, of course. I want to make that like, five. :D

I think it would really change the dynamic of the game. I'd be much less about points and more about self-preservation. So instead of heading down next to a drop ship when it dumps guys off to drop a grenade at their feet - usually killing 5-6 in one blow, at the risk of my own demise - I'd play more conservatively. And ordnance like the Target Locater would have to be deployed much more carefully. Plus, we never have any of those Last Man Standing scenarios, which I miss.

Yeah, the only big issue I see is that Idlers would COMPLETELY ruin that, since they would more than likely die using up all the lives.

GhaleonEB

Alienshogun said:
Yeah, the only big issue I see is that Idlers would COMPLETELY ruin that, since they would more than likely die using up all the lives.
Solution: Firefight lets you use either pooled lives or allow everyone their own pool. I'm assuming/hoping everyone has their own pool. Players that exhaust their lives respawn in (with zero reserves) at the start of each Wave. So idlers would just be fodder/distraction, rather than a drain on everyone else.

Though the big payout for a long game would just encourage more idlers, sadly.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
GhaleonEB said:
Solution: Firefight lets you use either pooled lives or allow everyone their own pool. I'm assuming/hoping everyone has their own pool. Players that exhaust their lives respawn in (with zero reserves) at the start of each Wave. So idlers would just be fodder/distraction, rather than a drain on everyone else.

I think the real solution would be a 2 idle game (or a minute of inactivity makes you quit out, COD does this) grace period, then taken out of matchmaking and given a credit ban. I don't know why the Auto-banhammer isn't doing this already.

I know some kids are trying to get around it by moving out, killing one thing then moving back to idling, but there's got to be a way to catch these idiots.

The individual lives thing would be a good idea, but that takes away from the team play strategy and stress of the old firefight.

Somewhere in here is a good go to idea. :lol

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Pennybags said:
I finally bought the map pack. Why, oh why did I not do it before? :lol

Seriously, Anchor 9 is love.

I hate anchor 9, but I hate maps I don't know, or suck at.

Countdown is my favorite, but I'm also really good on it.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
MrBig said:
You know there is an option to mute the other team automatically, right?

Yea but this way I can mute and and unmute after a game if I wanna talk to someone or whatever.

kylej said:
Crazy I know ;P

If you'd prefer, just read that as "I suck compared to most of you guys, so I have to find my fun from things other than strictly winning."

Thus, co-op campaign and firefight are the lion share of my play time, with a few versus matches every once in a while to mix things up. Don't get me wrong, I love a close match where both teams are trying to win and getting pushed to go above and beyond, and where players can just manage to pull victory out of the jaws of defeat. But then again, as long as lots of stuff is blowing up in cool ways I'm still happy.

Captain Blood said:
Some where frankie is aroused.
Hope so. I just solved the AL problems just like that. :D

GhaleonEB said:
Though the big payout for a long game would just encourage more idlers, sadly.
Why doesn't Bungie just disconnect players who don't send any input commands for a while? Other games will boot you for inactivity.

NullPointer said:
Why doesn't Bungie just disconnect players who don't send any input commands for a while? Other games will boot you for inactivity.
They definitely have the means of detecting idlers... so I don't know why they seeminly allow it.

NullPointer said:

Then they just get automatic controllers and tie a rubber band to them...its really sad I've seen it a bunch in Firefight last week because of the weekly.

GhaleonEB

xxjuicesxx said:
Then they just get automatic controllers and tie a rubber band to them...its really sad I've seen it a bunch in Firefight last week because of the weekly.
Yup, dudes just running around in circles. I saw that and a few people killing a few enemies and then going idle after a plenty over the past week.

There's gotta be a way to remove these stains.

MrBig

xxjuicesxx said:
They were saying they detect idlers by whether they are actively getting kills and medals. They didn't say whether they detect that in post or during the game. If they could detect it in game they probably would have implemented something.

Gui_PT said:
I actually thought the majority of the players agreed that AL breaks the game. I don't see how people can see it's fun to use. But as you said, they'z the boss.
Direct quote I've heard: "Haha you mean I can press this button and I become invincible? Fuckin' badass, dude."

It's in there because its a novelty and its fun, not because its strategic or contributes to the overarching multiplayer experience for them.

Nutter said:
It's not quite that "they're the boss," it's "they're the boss and they're trying to make a fanbase of millions of people happy." They also gained many things 99% of other companies around the world only dream of; a product published and a (impressively successful) service fulfilled to one of the largest corporations that has ever existed, millions of units sold on the first day and released to critical acclaim, and thousands of new fans actively participating on their website.

AKA, Picture yourself in a stadium full of people. Then picture several other stadiums worth of people. The max 100 people on your friends list and the people in those stadiums that voice their opinions on message boards is rather small in comparison to everyone else enjoying the game as a relaxing, non-complicated, pick-up-and-play-without-thinking-strategy activity.

Nutter said:
Well, let's look at the facts:
-The mere fact that 343 is not Bungie means the game they make will be differentlly.
-Bungie is burned out on Halo.
-The people who work for 343 fortunately care very, very deeply about the Halo universe and now that the baton has been passed to them they will care and obsess over it until they are certain their sequel makes daddy proud.
-The interesting difference about 343 and Bungie is the difference in the people that comprise it. It appears as though there have been a lot of community hires for 343. Remember those imaginary stadiums before, and how the people who actually care about the intricate balance of the game are such a significant minority? Those people are the ones who are going to be working on the game. That's why I have the utmost confidence in 343 and know they'll do an excellent job in handling the direction of the Halo universe.
-I hope most of the people at 343 like Halo 1 the best, cause I do ;) I know Voc absolutely loves his pistol, and Cocop is a traditionalist (ARist? Spray-n-beatdown artisan? Total noob?), and Frankie... doesn't actually do any work so nvm.

Hydranockz said:
Very nice posts today.
Thanks :) I tend not to voice my opinion on things until I ponder them for quite some time. Then I realize topics on halogaf cycle endlessly so I'd get my chance sooner or later ;)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Hydranockz said:
Very nice posts today.
I'm thoroughly convinced HaloGAF hates Halo at this point, I'm not sure why discussions still flourish of of this much more than enjoyment of the game there. Critics gon' critique I guess.

Gui_PT

enzo_gt said:
I'm thoroughly convinced HaloGAF hates Halo at this point, I'm not sure why discussions still flourish of of this much more than enjoyment of the game there. Critics gon' critique I guess.

I don't think anyone here hates Halo. Well.. except Kuroyume.

I just think people feel the need to "voice" their problems with the game. 1st because it feels good to vent sometimes and 2nd, in the vast hope that someone from Bungle reads these posts and realizes there's something ruining the fun in the game.

Arnie

enzo_gt said:
We wouldn't be complaining if we didn't care so much.

Nutter

Gui_PT said:

I just think people feel the need to "voice" their problems with the game. 1st because it feels good to vent sometimes and 2nd, in the vast hope that someone from Bungle reads these posts and realizes there's something ruining the fun in the game.
Pretty Much This ^^^^

If anyone thinks that I hate Halo.. :lol :lol

Lets just say I refuse to play any other shooter besides Halo, and to see it in its current state.. it just saddens me. :(

enzo_gt said:
If you're talking about my post, please point out where you think I'm being hateful. Then I'll bitchslap you for being stupid.

If not, then keep in mind small communities aren't without their value, and their "hate" is there only because they care and there is absolutely nothing wrong with this. The megabitching that goes on here only serves to prove how fanatical Halo fans are about the game. The very act of bitching does get annoying though, but sometimes its just the nature of hobbies - wanting to take something and make it their own. Suggesting improvements, sharing experiences, providing feedback - its communities like these that, in the end, improve the product as a whole.

This isn't a condemnation. This is the situation as I see it, and I see things all the time that back my views. For instance, I know you guys acknowledge that neogaf is a juggernaut of a forum, so you should realize that when people see these threads explode like the night after a burrito binge, they are NOT seeing fans who have been captured by the magic that is Halo. We get this way because theres something about Halo's gameplay nobody can quite put their finger on that makes Halo more than just a video game. Tycho said it perfectly - "these people play Halo because its Halo, not because its a video game." (I'm not saying either that this makes Halo better than other games, there are other games out there that have extremely dedicated communities as well.)

Gui_PT said:

This and Arnie's post below really sum it up.

I play Halo a lot. Not too much that it gets stale but enough so that I can really enjoy it. Bungie should know to expect this. In a perfect world we would simulate OT1 over and over again, with our tears splashing with every keystroke we type. This is OT3, we are a fair bit into this rabbit hole. We do not hate Halo... otherwise we would simply not play it.

We always notie the negatives and we definitely voice those negatives a lot more so than we would the positives... and yet... here is a community, like many other Halo communities out there, that will play Halo for another few years.

I agree the salvo of hate can be numbing at times but it comes with the love of a 10 year old franchise.

edit: fuck sake man. Not only are you churning out awesome posts, but you are doing so in great speed... quit makin' the rest of us look bad :lol :lol :lol

GhaleonEB

FWIW, my observation is there's a lot less rage posting and general haterade getting pured out about Reach in these threads than there was during the Halo 3 era, and during the Reach Beta. Reviewing the past few pages, the discussion is more about "here's what I don't like and why and what I'd like to see done" than "shit fucking sucks". (Juices aside, but then he wouldn't be Juices, which is why we love him.)

I also get the sense we're an even smaller group now than during the Halo 3 days at this same point. Not sure how much of that has to do with the thread's new location, but we're a pretty small bunch at this point, which is partly why discussions go in circles.

Striker

Nutter said:
If we had gotten similar that likened to Halo 3, I would have wanted to skip out.

My primary complaint is how poor BTB's playlist decisions have been. It's mostly Headhunter and Big Team Slayer. Where the hell is Assault? At one point three on the voting screen, it showed: Team Headhunter on Countdown, Team Headhunter on Spire, Team Headhunter on Hemorrhage. It's like... what the fuck.

GhaleonEB said:
FWIW, my observation is there's a lot less rage posting and general haterade getting pured out about Reach in these threads than there was during the Halo 3 era, and during the Reach Beta. Reviewing the past few pages, the discussion is more about "here's what I don't like and why and what I'd like to see done" than "shit fucking sucks". (Juices aside, but then he wouldn't be Juices, which is why we love him.)

I also get the sense we're an even smaller group now than during the Halo 3 days at this same point. Not sure how much of that has to do with the thread's new location, but we're a pretty small bunch at this point, which is partly why discussions go in circles.
There were better actual posting involving during the early Halo 3 days on here. Eventually people tired out of certain stages of the game and move on. Nothing to do with the game itself. You must forget how rigid the posting was gearing toward spawns (what Halo game doesn't have hilarious spawns?), playlist management, or awful map design.

Secondly, there was a small group in the final year of Halo 3's thread posting generally, as well. So, again, I see the game itself having no relevance to the amount of post counts.

Gui_PT said:
I can't remember if I just addressed this in my last post, so DP.

It's our nature that, when we like something, we don't want it to change especially when the creator makes decisions about it we don't like.

Imagine yourself looking at a pretty painting. A guy comes up next to you and asks if you like it. You reply with enthusiasm that you do like it and there's really not much that could be done to make it better. The other man disagrees with you and you think he's crazy. Then the artist walks by and decides he can do better... so he makes some adjustments and now the painting is different. It's similar to what it was before, its just... not as good. You wonder why the hell the artist would change it, when suddenly the guy next to you exclaims, "ahh, much better! Looks perfect now."

Things like this just happens, man. Have faith in 343, though.

Self Induced said:
Things like this just happens, man.
charlie.jpg

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Self Induced said:
Direct quote I've heard: "Haha you mean I can press this button and I become invincible? Fuckin' badass, dude."

It's in there because its a novelty and its fun, not because its strategic or contributes to the overarching multiplayer experience for them.

It's not quite that "they're the boss," it's "they're the boss and they're trying to make a fanbase of millions of people happy." They also gained many things 99% of other companies around the world only dream of; a product published and a (impressively successful) service fulfilled to one of the largest corporations that has ever existed, millions of units sold on the first day and released to critical acclaim, and thousands of new fans actively participating on their website.

AKA, Picture yourself in a stadium full of people. Then picture several other stadiums worth of people. The max 100 people on your friends list and the people in those stadiums that voice their opinions on message boards is rather small in comparison to everyone else enjoying the game as a relaxing, non-complicated, pick-up-and-play-without-thinking-strategy activity.

Well, let's look at the facts:
-The mere fact that 343 is not Bungie means the game they make will be differentlly.
-Bungie is burned out on Halo.
-The people who work for 343 fortunately care very, very deeply about the Halo universe and now that the baton has been passed to them they will care and obsess over it until they are certain their sequel makes daddy proud.
-The interesting difference about 343 and Bungie is the difference in the people that comprise it. It appears as though there have been a lot of community hires for 343. Remember those imaginary stadiums before, and how the people who actually care about the intricate balance of the game are such a significant minority? Those people are the ones who are going to be working on the game. That's why I have the utmost confidence in 343 and know they'll do an excellent job in handling the direction of the Halo universe.
-I hope most of the people at 343 like Halo 1 the best, cause I do ;) I know Voc absolutely loves his pistol, and Cocop is a traditionalist (ARist? Spray-n-beatdown artisan? Total noob?), and Frankie... doesn't actually do any work so nvm.

The day they announced that Frank would be in charge of the franchise and its future development/direction, I fell in love with 343i, its employees and the overall future of Halo (although I would like the stories told in the novels to be told in future games).

Oh and Cocop's ignoring me. :(

GhaleonEB

Striker said:
There were better actual posting involving during the early Halo 3 days on here. Eventually people tired out of certain stages of the game and move on. Nothing to do with the game itself. You must forget how rigid the posting was gearing toward spawns (what Halo game doesn't have hilarious spawns?), playlist management, or awful map design.

Secondly, there was a small group in the final year of Halo 3's thread posting generally, as well. So, again, I see the game itself having no relevance to the amount of post counts.
My recollection is very different than yours, but I suppose there's no way to solve such a meta-argument.

At any rate. I'm glad Reach is as big as it is - lots of stuff to do even if you don't like entire modes such as MP. I'm kind of looking forward to ripping through the Campaign on Heroic again. I'll probably hit 2-3 missions per night this week. I'm curious how fast I'll be able to tear through it given my last end-end romp was on Legendary.
lybertyboy said:
Cocop's rediscovering his beloved Georgia at the moment so I doubt he's ignoring you. I don't think they get teh internet until 2012.
But they have sweet tea, so we know he's happy as a clam in clam juice.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Domino Theory said:
Oh and Cocop's ignoring me. :(

Cocop's rediscovering his beloved Georgia at the moment so I doubt he's ignoring you. I don't think they get teh internet until 2012.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
lybertyboy said:
:lol :lol

edit: Someone please tell me the name of the Halo Wars song that plays during the Waypoint interview with Frank about what he does at 343i. Love that song so much. <3

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
lybertyboy said:

Just in time, for the end of time.

All the bitching aside, I still love Reach, just like most of us here do. It's not without it's issues, but what is?

Nutter

You know someone should ask bungie where the following 2 maps are.. [Official Bungle Recreations in Forge]

1o8xsk.jpg

20sgg43.jpg

Sure there are plenty of remakes by others, but after seeing the vidoc way back then, it seemed like bungie would make their own and put them in matchmaking from day 1.

MrBig

How is it possible that I've been getting 20-30 kills per game but losing well or half my games tonight? Oh right, bungle hates me and puts me with the worst players.

feel

Domino Theory said:
The day they announced that Frank would be in charge of the franchise and its future development/direction, I fell in love with 343i, its employees and the overall future of Halo (although I would like the stories told in the novels to be told in future games).
Can't wait for the day they reveal and start showing their game.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
TacticalFox88 said:
Teaching my nephew how to play Reach. Should I start him on the DMR or AR?

DMR if you want him to be a good player and AR if you want him to suck.

Top Bottom