• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Striker

Elite Slayer is better for larger maps. In enclosed areas like Sword Base or Zealot, I despise it. Too much grenade spam. Makes me feel like Orbital.

Changing the Needler off the AL ability is better because all a player would do is wildly toss the plasma grenades, Needle, and if they can't kill them, they'll just turtle themselves in AL. The change to the Plasma Rifle makes it more of a close quarters class, though it won't be as efficient on maps like Powerhouse and Pinnacle.

Devin Olsen said:
I cannot understand peoples fascination with Elite Slayer... It seems to come up ALL the time in Multi Team, and is almost always voted for.

I wish it got its own play list... It doesn't even feel like Halo when I play it.
Easiest way to get the double kill from the grave achievement. If 2 guys aren't using AL.

kylej

Banned
Forget Pinnacle; I love how rockets spawn dramatically closer to one team than the other on Reflection. What a piece of shit map.

GhaleonEB said:
I can't believe I'm typing this, but I've come to the conclusion that Elite Slayer on decently sized - or at least, open - maps can be quite fun. I can't stand it on Sword Base, but - shockingly - it was great fun on Pinnacle. Had a great game of it on The Cage as well. Between Evade and the Nerfle I find ample targets sitting around gawking at the dudes in Armor Lock or jetpacking around. And Evade jukes Needler rounds, so it's easy enough to avoid those guys. Many dongings were had.

Great to see you coming round. Elite Slayer is tons of fun! Can be a pain on Sword Base though!

FourDoor

Is the Cage 2.0 implemented with this new playlist update as well?

Also, is anyone jumping online soon? I want to try out the new community maps.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
So far the maps are shit, played 2. One is a really shitty atom rip off with no soft kills on the top parts that only jetpack can reach, the other was WAY too dark.

Gui_PT

Alienshogun said:
So far the maps are shit, played 2. One is a really shitty atom rip off with no soft kills on the top parts that only jetpack can reach, the other was WAY too dark.

Want to get a GAF party going on?

Striker

Aspirocity
Capacitor (looks like an MLG-varied map)
Elevation
Enclosed
Endzeit
Obsidian
Reverence
Thrust
Ziggurat

Those are the names in the playlist. Only Slayer and Slayer DMRs. Lack of any flag or bomb, but what else is new. :(

Gui_PT said:
So, instead of "fixing" Armor Lock, they fix the weapons that come with that loadout?

Man, they just refuse to admit AL destroys any amount of fun that could be had in most matches.

Don't worry, we'll hear about a patch that will fix AA up for good along with other problems Reach has within the next 2 weeks and the announcement of a free FF map for all the problems we've had to deal with, right, right.... :(

Striker

Alienshogun said:
Yeah, reverence is the worst map I've ever played, even worse than anything bungie has done yet. That map is complete garbage.
Can't be worse than Foundry's Smashed.

Glancing through the maps through a quick search, many of them seem uninspiring.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Striker said:
Can't be worse than Foundry's Smashed.

Glancing through the maps through a quick search, many of them seem uninspiring.

It's REALLY bad, sharp ramps down and up, it devolves into spam and grenades.

So far only 2 good maps out of the bunch.

Taking a break right now, I've had my fill of armor lock bitches.

Aspirocity is the one that's way too dark, and endzeit is the shitty atom ripoff.

So out of 5 maps I've played from the bunch only Elevation and Enclosed seem "ok."

MrBig

Alienshogun said:
They're all pretty bad. I played 4 of them. Boring and uninspired.
e: also elevation is easily the worst. Terribly designed. No focus point. 4 snipers when there shouldn't be one.

Gui_PT said:
So, instead of "fixing" Armor Lock, they fix the weapons that come with that loadout?

Man, they just refuse to admit AL destroys any amount of fun that could be had in most matches.
How should they fix Armor lock? How? These are just playlist changes. The fix will come with the TU I hope.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Alienshogun said:
Yeah, you mean until they just AL/Melee/Stick you anyway and grab the needler on the ground.

This solves nothing.

AL belongs in BTB and BTB only.
I agree that it doesn't solve the overarching issue of Armor Lock in general (or more specifically in Elite Slayer, the AL/sticky combo spamming), but it at least makes the choice of loadout a tiny bit more inconvenient. Best case scenario, it might force a small number of players to choose between a Needler and Armor Lock. Yeah, most people will probably still use the AL loadout and then go searching for a Needler, but it's something, at least.

I still think it's too early to expect Bungie to make a major change like removing AL from entire playlists, but this change is at least recognition of what it's caused Elite Slayer to devolve into (where I think it's at its worst).

Striker

No Lockout or Wizard/Warlock maps in there, hmm? Kind of figured they would be easy passes to insert into such a testing playlist...

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
vatstep said:
I agree that it doesn't solve the overarching issue of Armor Lock in general (or more specifically in Elite Slayer, the AL/sticky combo spamming), but it at least makes the choice of loadout a tiny bit more inconvenient. Best case scenario, it might force a small number of players to choose between a Needler and Armor Lock. Yeah, most people will probably still use the AL loadout and then go searching for a Needler, but it's something, at least.

I still think it's too early to expect Bungie to make a major change like removing AL from entire playlists, but this change is at least recognition of what it's caused Elite Slayer to devolve into (where I think it's at its worst).

No it's not, they already moved dropshield around.

AL needs to go to BTB.

Holy crap I just got raped on Thrust.

FourDoor

Alienshogun said:
Thrust is really good, but it's an MLG remake.

Ahhh thats why it was so familiar.

Just got in a game in Thrust where 2 out of my 3 randoms dropped as soon as the game started. Was getting spawn killed left and right and then me and the other random came back for a nice tie at the end. Felt so good! :D

GhaleonEB

neoism said:
Man Elevation is sooooo bad.. :/
I jumped a bit when I read the name, because I made a map in Halo 3 called Elevation that I kind of liked, and just earlier today was considering remaking it in the Colosseum on Forge World. Did a huge double-take. :lol

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Either way, I'm about at the limit of my patience with this game. Much more AL in 4v4 or non vehicle maps and I'll just play less frustrating games "BFBC2/COD/Gears/anything else" until bungie pulls their heads out of their asses.

Kuroyume

Banned
Obsidian is a pretty awful map... Well, that's my first impression of it. I left the game because I was so frustrated. Like ATOM it's fucking gigantic, maybe even bigger than Atom. It seems like a very jetpack friendly map which was very annoying.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Kuroyume said:
Obsidian is a pretty awful map... Well, that's my first impression of it. I left the game because I was so frustrated. Like ATOM it's fucking gigantic, maybe even bigger than Atom. It seems like a very jetpack friendly map which was very annoying.

Is that the one that's in the coliseum and really fucking dark with the disks in the middle and a tower on both sides?

FourDoor

Alienshogun said:
Is that the one that's in the coliseum and really fucking dark with the disks in the middle and a tower on both sides?

You just described how most of the maps are like in the playlist are layed out! LOL

Also what the heck is up with the AL power up pickup in one of the maps? :lol

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
FourDoor said:
You just described how most of the maps are like in the playlist are layed out! LOL

Also what the heck is up with the AL power up pickup in one of the maps? :lol

Needs more Armor lock, that's what.

Seriously, I'm hitting "fuck this game" levels of pissed off ness. I think it's time to spend a week or two playing other shooters.

It's not even that I suck, I'm better than a lot of "regular players" but the game is just more frustration than it's worth, at a certain point the fun is just not worth the hassle.

kylej

Banned
love the massive weighting increase in Anchor 9 for this new season. Rockets, radar, 90 seconds, Denmark host. What a fucking joke these playlists are. Get someone who plays the game to tweak them.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
kylej said:
love the massive weighting increase in Anchor 9 for this new season. Rockets, radar, 90 seconds, Denmark host. What a fucking joke these playlists are. Get someone who plays the game to tweak them.
Lol...that makes too much sense.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Domino Theory said:
Wow, all this hate on this page. :lol

It's been building in me for a while. AL just ruins small game types. I find myself playing other games longer, and Halo in spurts. It shouldn't be that way, I'm too worried about being frustrated in Halo and every time it's Armor lock that makes me kick a puppy.

Bungie are complete idiots for putting that in small team combat. It really is their "commando lunge/one man army noob tube spam."

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Alienshogun said:

why the fuck isnt this addressed yet, especially in the default maps. the jet pack sucks enough because of the fact it breaks map flow, but to allow people to get into areas of the map (free to snipe and move into cover) that are completely impossible to reach without a jetpack is insane.

EDIT: reading the january playlist update at b.net, it sounds like this is beginning to get addressed

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
TacticalFox88 said:
Sorry to hear that shogun. *sigh* Guess the hype is wearing off now.

Eh, it's still a fun game, but it's just not worth the frustration most of the time. That is the issue. You can get the same type of fun from other games without the rage inducing gameplay.

Which is also probably a reason why it's players number is so low.

Alienshogun said:
Eh, it's still a fun game, but it's just not worth the frustration most of the time. That is the issue. You can get the same type of fun from other games without the rage inducing gameplay.

Which is also probably a reason why it's players number is so low.

Everyone should migrate back to Halo 3. :D

Sai-kun

Banned
Now that my WoW subscription expired, I might have to play this game again :lol I'm kinda looking forward to some new maps, but I'm not looking forward to the inevitable rage that I will have from playing this game.

or i could just..you know...do my school work..

Alienshogun said:
I'll just play everything else until it's fixed, or until Kyle/Juices other gaffers want to play and we can force Pro.

We should just play armor lock modes. I mean its a button you can press so you CANNOT DIE FROM ANYTHING! How is that not balanced and awesome!? :lol :lol

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
HaloGaf, I am back. (Not that you noticed my absence).

Burnt myself out on Reach a bit when Ops came out, and am now reinvigorated and ready to play. Enjoying the new maps, I think the glacier map is my favorite.

EDIT: You still hating on Armor lock? Guess not much has changed. :lol

Top Bottom