• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Deadly Cyclone said:
HaloGaf, I am back. (Not that you noticed my absence).

Burnt myself out on Reach a bit when Ops came out, and am now reinvigorated and ready to play. Enjoying the new maps, I think the glacier map is my favorite.

Do yourself a favor and wait for Homefront (damned moderator), at least until AL is removed from Team Slayer.

xxjuicesxx said:
We should just play armor lock modes. I mean its a button you can press so you CANNOT DIE FROM ANYTHING! How is that not balanced and awesome!? :lol :lol

Someone should make a mode where Reach is a game of Asteroids, and instead of shooting Asteroids you shoot Armor locked blue team, and instead of blowing up asteroids, they just RAM THE SHIT OUT OF YOU ANYWAY.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Alienshogun said:
Do yourself a favor and wait for Homefront (damned moderator), at least until AL is removed from Team Slayer.

Someone should make a mode where Reach is a game of Asteroids, and instead of shooting Asteroids you shoot Armor locked blue team, and instead of blowing up asteroids, they just RAM THE SHIT OUT OF YOU ANYWAY.
:lol

Actually, I am one that doesn't mind AL. I think it is great in certain situations (as all abilities have situations they are great in) but can be very easy to beat in other situations.

I played a match on Enclosed. WTF? That was terrible! I had searched 2 minutes for the DMR but I never found it. So I picked-up the needler rifle. But really that map was terrible! There were too many levels. The most time I was at our spawn area and killed all the noobs who came close to us. But a map where I can not find DMR in 30seconds is a bad map. A really bad map. And if the map is perfectly constructed for AL, then it sucks more. I really do not know if I want to play more community made maps. I'll wait for the BTB or Invasion maps.

Btw. I was the only one who had a positive K/D spree. The trueskill sucks! I really can not wait for the TU :)*

*I'm still in love with this game.

2nd Edit.: I will not blame the creator for the maps. I really do not know what the creator has thought about it. Maybe he and his friends has a more Assault rilfe player style or they are only playing custom games.

ElRenoRaven

So yea I decided to check out the community playlist. I must say that nobody has the right to complain about Bungie's maps after playing those awful maps.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Deadly Cyclone said:
:lol

Actually, I am one that doesn't mind AL. I think it is great in certain situations (as all abilities have situations they are great in) but can be very easy to beat in other situations.

Situation, other team all has armor lock, and stick together.

Solution - *respawning*

Zel3

OMG my armor finally updated, I'd been rocking default on Bnet for the last 3 months.

playermodel.png

hnnnggg i love my security helmet. has this been fixed for a while and i've just been out of the loop?

Zel3 said:
OMG my armor finally updated, I'd been rocking default on Bnet for the last 3 months.

playermodel.png

hnnnggg i love my security helmet. has this been fixed for a while and i've just been out of the loop?
*checks bungie.net*

*argh*

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Zel3 said:

playermodel.png

The Spartan models are updated when Bobby Kotick feels like updating it. In time, everyone will have their Spartans updated for 3 easy payments of $49.95 a month.

Kuroyume

Banned
Alienshogun said:
Is that the one that's in the coliseum and really fucking dark with the disks in the middle and a tower on both sides?

I have no idea. I was just so confused by everything. I recall there being two man cannons on the sides and there was a tower with like three grav lifts in it. Fucking weird.

CrazedArabMan said:
Everyone should migrate back to Halo 3. :D

I'd rather stare at a wall.

Damn, so many negative comments about the maps. :lol Good thing Bungie took some extra time to make sure they picked out some really bad ones!

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Alienshogun said:
No it's not, they already moved dropshield around.

AL needs to go to BTB.
What did they do to drop shield? I just remember that they got rid of it in KotH, Oddball and Territories — might be forgetting something else. Not sure if that's what you're referring to, but personally I don't really consider removing an AA from a few relatively rare, objective gametypes to be on the same level as removing an AA from entire playlists. Enabling drop shield in Oddball was a stupid choice, but almost felt like an oversight considering how quickly it was removed. I think AL on small maps (and outside of BTB in general) is just as unbearable, but I don't think Bungie sees it that way; at least not yet.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
PsychoRaven said:
So yea I decided to check out the community playlist. I must say that nobody has the right to complain about Bungie's maps after playing those awful maps.

:lol the community map hate is strong! i'm curious though, how do they stack up to GAF's forge creations? are you guys just being overly harsh because bungie has put them in matchmaking? would the GAF creations be hated on just as much?

(looking forward to trying these out myself later tonight to see if they are as bad as you guys make them out to be)

feel

Man, reading the last 70 or so posts killed my desire to boot Reach tonight. :lol

Are all the new maps bad?

Sibylus

Banned
Sai-kun said:
Now that my WoW subscription expired, I might have to play this game again :lol I'm kinda looking forward to some new maps, but I'm not looking forward to the inevitable rage that I will have from playing this game.

or i could just..you know...do my school work..
Responsible-kun doesn't really roll off the tongue. Play games!

Dax01 said:
If you have the complainers on ignore, there isn't much "hate" to look at.:D
But then it becomes creepy "I am Legend" wasteland!

ElRenoRaven

op_ivy said:
:lol the community map hate is strong! i'm curious though, how do they stack up to GAF's forge creations? are you guys just being overly harsh because bungie has put them in matchmaking? would the GAF creations be hated on just as much?

(looking forward to trying these out myself later tonight to see if they are as bad as you guys make them out to be)

I've played some of Gaf's maps and they are decently good. These are just awful. The biggest problem I see is that several of them have several levels just for the sake of having them yet they make it so that it's better to stay at the top and fight in a small area. However thanks to the layout you regularly fall down into the lowest level. You shouldn't depend on people falling down to them to make your lowest levels actually be used. Then others have tons of ramps and bridges and no real layout to them.

They are pretty much what I complained about when we were discussing maps awhile back also in that they're cold and nothing but Grey Grey Grey. Very few bother to use any of forgeworld's scenery. Hell even some decoration on the maps would be nice.

They truly are just awful. Keep in mind too that I love the one's Bungie made while most hate those. So that should say a lot.

Also I've gone out of my way to look for interesting maps out there and there are a lot that blow these out of the water. One I can think of I saw a long while back was called high tide or something like that.

FourDoor

Letters said:
Man, reading the last 70 or so posts killed my desire to boot Reach tonight. :lol

It's a nice change. Overall I liked the new maps but they "felt" very similar to each other. One of the maps, I think it was Ziggurat, forces you to use the jetpack. Because if you don't, you just get pelted from overhead all day from all of the ledges and space above the normal catwalks. One of the other maps (the one like atom) also re-spawns you directly on top of the rocket launcher sometimes. :lol

The other maps were decent enough to play in but they all felt like it was way too easy to to get spawn camped in. These forgers needs to read that spawn placement article that one of you guys wrote on here a while back.

Each of the maps have little problems that can cause you to rage. But overall I think it's worth playing.

And hey, FREE maps in matchmaking! We can't complain too much since we didn't drop a penny on these new maps but we sure as hell are going to try our hardest! hahahaha :lol

Louis Wu

Wow. I thought I was open-minded... but Reverence is the worst map I've played in a long, long, LONG time. A million places to fall off - with no way of telling they're drop-offs. Teleporters that can be blocked, so that when you come out, you fall off. WTF

Awful, awful map. :(

Alright, I played the new community playlist until I got one hundred kills, so I think I can dole out some pretty good first impressions. Before I list the things that I have a problem with, I'm going to say that I think, overall, the maps are alright. None of the maps stood out to me.

1. My biggest problem with the maps is that nearly all of them feel the same; it's as if they were made by the same person, using the same design choices. They all blend together.
2. I wish there was objective gametypes in this playlists.

ElRenoRaven

Louis Wu said:
Wow. I thought I was open-minded... but Reverence is the worst map I've played in a long, long, LONG time. A million places to fall off - with no way of telling they're drop-offs. Teleporters that can be blocked, so that when you come out, you fall off. WTF

Awful, awful map. :(

Yup. That is without a doubt the worst offender of these maps.

With the exception of Elevation, I thought the maps ranged from average to good. I'm a little bothered that there are no vehicles on any of them. I miss 4 v 4 combat with vehicles. I'm pretty sure there were vehicles in team slayer in Halo 3...but maybe I'm imagining things?

The changes to Elite Slayer are GREAT. People that need AL as a security blanket can still use it while everyone else will enjoy having guns that do things. Spawning with one grenade is also a welcome change. Good work Bungie!

feel

Letters said:

Went into Reach, and I'm actually having fun. Nice arena maps in the 5 or 6 games I've played.

edit- yep, really enjoyed this community playlist. Went into it with some friends thinking we would just try 2 or 3 maps and then go to Halo 3 for the rest of the session, and we ended up playing 8 games and no Halo 3 at all tonight. Good stuff. (Ok, it might be because they are new maps and so people are not exploiting every flaw in their design yet)

Striker

Only played a few games in the Community playlist, but each map seems distinct on elevation. Lots of steep ramps and high altitude areas.

Would love for more areas similar to Alaska or Montana parts from Forge. It's simply the rock area or in the coliseum. No skirmish games, though, which is highly disappointing.

Played BTB also, and Crazy King on Hemorrhage is absolutely horrible for such a large map. How it got through playtesting is something I want to know. Basic settings for weapons and vehicles, nothing changed. At least make it regular King where it is one hill and two teams battle over it, rather than ones that move around where one team gets benefited from its "random" sequences.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
God damn it....

Played BFBC2, Played COD.... meh.

Played Halo Reach ....fun.....

Even with armor lock I can't stay mad at you.

Blueblur1 said:
I didn't know that was even possible. :O

Slots seem to be paying out a lot today.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
PsychoRaven said:
I've played some of Gaf's maps and they are decently good. These are just awful. The biggest problem I see is that several of them have several levels just for the sake of having them yet they make it so that it's better to stay at the top and fight in a small area. However thanks to the layout you regularly fall down into the lowest level. You shouldn't depend on people falling down to them to make your lowest levels actually be used. Then others have tons of ramps and bridges and no real layout to them.

so... its like construct (halo 3)?

FUCKING CAPACITOR IS SO BAD

ugh, maybe i'm just bad at it, or i keep getting matched with good teams on it, but jesus, i've gotten my ass handed to me both times in so much as it was a slaughter. high ground is dangerously OP, and the steep slopes make it impossible to mentally orient yourself. also there seems to be no cover when you spawn in most locations. hrmph.

the only good one i think i've played so far was elevation, and even that wasn't great.

[edit] i didn't mind ziggurat, actually, it actually had some semblance of flow.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Devin Olsen said:
I cannot understand peoples fascination with Elite Slayer... It seems to come up ALL the time in Multi Team, and is almost always voted for.

I wish it got its own play list... It doesn't even feel like Halo when I play it.
It's stupid, dumb fun. And that's exactly how it plays too, stupid and dumb. But every once in a while I like some explosive chaos to break the monotony.

GhaleonEB

After two games on Aspirocity, I have concluded it is a very bad map.

There's a lot of clutter on the ground, yet long lanes with sight lines that are excessive; the DMR dominates players with pistols. It was not tested with the jet pack: there are many places to camp way up high with the sniper rifle, soft kill volumes are needed. (Also, the sniper rifle should not be on it.) And while the ground is very cluttered, it's all short clutter, so it does not provide any cover from jetpackers. In both of my games, it devolved into teams running under bridges to get away from the hail storm of fire from dudes jet packing. It needs more vertical cover.

Ziggurat, which I just played on, was even worse. It's one of those open center, paths around the outside maps, but the sight lines are really terrible. Lots of close quarters weaponry (shotguns, Gravity Hammer) on a map with tons of blind 90 degree corners. And similar to Aspirocity, it was not tested with the jetpack: there are many places to camp up high above doorways.

Dunno. I really try to come to these with an open mind, but the first two maps I've sampled have been exceptionally poorly designed. I realize that Bungie was just picking from what they had submitted, of course.

Striker

Perhaps I'm just hoping there's going to be a rotation of these community maps. Would love for more outside variants in different areas. The same styles in the colliseum just gets old, I guess. I still need to finish my damn map. >:| (not sure how it will play for 4v4, however)

Whatever happened to them adding more Forged variants to BTB? Was it just Atom?

Booties

Banned
Endzeit is literally just atom with the snipe in the center. Half of these maps are either close bases at each end with wide open areas in the center, or closed of (but large) center areas with open bases at each end. Maybe they throw on a couple side walkways on the latter. So boring.

equil

I've only played 2 of the new maps so far, but i didn't think "Enclosed" was that bad.
"Elevation" sucked though especially when everyone was jetpacking.

Booties

Banned
equil said:
I've only played 2 of the new maps so far, but i didn't think "Enclosed" was that bad.
"Elevation" sucked though especially when everyone was jetpacking.

eh. that's every map's problem in reach.

NOKYARD

GhaleonEB said:
I just got 900 cR from the slot machine. I hope that wasn't my mega-jackpot. :lol
3000 in a Firefight game. Gotta love it when the jackpot starts to spin with 4 digits showing.

Ramirez

Wait, the Forge maps suck? Who didn't see that coming? The only (original, and it was basically a weaksauce midship) good thing to ever come out of Forge was Onslaught.

zumphry

Banned
Pretty old, but I don't know (and I'm not bothering to go through the other two threads) if this was posted or not, but if you ever watch Mega 64, they did a video for the release of Reach like they did for 3 and ODST. :lol

:lol :lol :lol

GhaleonEB said:
I just got 900 cR from the slot machine. I hope that wasn't my mega-jackpot. :lol
I got several triple digit payouts today, pretty sure the slot machine got tweaked along with the playlist update.

Ziggurat made me sad. The other team had obviously already played the map, because they instantly knew where all the power weapons were. Good god, there's too many power weapons on that map. Remove the FRG and one of the Concussion Rifles, and then I'll reconsider.

Zennshi

Neo Member
Daily Challenges:

Secondary Fire - 4000cR
Earn 25 assists today in multiplayer Matchmaking.

More than a Handful - 1250cR
Kill 125 enemies in multiplayer Matchmaking.

Light Fuse, Run Away - 1000cR
Kill 4 enemies with grenades in a multiplayer Matchmaking game.

Go Right Ahead Folks - 1250cR
Earn a First Strike in a multiplayer Matchmaking game.

Top Bottom