• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT3| This Thread is Not a Natural Formation

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Has Rocket Race been removed from Mult-Team yet? That garbage gametype needs to be removed before Reach Mult-Team can come close to H3 Multi-Team. RR wasn't that much fun in H3 and now it's even less fun in Reach.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
LunaticPuma said:
Has Rocket Race been removed from Mult-Team yet? That garbage gametype needs to be removed before Reach Mult-Team can come close to H3 Multi-Team. RR wasn't that much fun in H3 and now it's even less fun in Reach.

nope

Funny thing about that is Bungie was hyping the hell out of race/rocket race.

Anyone noticing a trend? Anything they hyped is turning out to be the dumbest shit they put in the game.

Armor lock, Rocket race, focus beam, etc.

I think Bungie is out of touch in a serious way, or they "played their game" by looking at the ideas on paper.

Ramirez

LunaticPuma said:

:lol

You act as if Halo 3 MT was the holy grail of Halo gaming.

GhaleonEB said:
I'm learning to love Multiteam. It's insanity, but with the right approach it's an amazingly target-rich game. :lol
In the whopping two times I've tried the playlist, the gametype wouldn't load and it went to a second round, where everyone else voted for Rocket Race. I normally don't mind a good RR game, but when I'm in the mood to kill people, Rocket Race is the last thing I want to play. Guess I'll have to just keep trying.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Ramirez said:
:lol

You act as if Halo 3 MT was the holy grail of Halo gaming.

The only playlists that were significantly better than it were Team Flag and Team Classic (or whatever that playlist was that had "old-school" settings that was taken away). Other than those 2, MT was just as fun as slayer and better than the rest overall.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
LunaticPuma said:
The only playlists that were significantly better than it were Team Flag and Team Classic (or whatever that playlist was that had "old-school" settings that was taken away). Other than those 2, MT was just as fun as slayer and better than the rest overall.
For real bro?

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Tashi0106 said:
For real bro?

For real. However, I would rate H2 Team Objective over H3 MT. I'm not sure why people are surprised. I've always been a proponent of objective games and a detractor of MLG.

Striker

electricpirate said:
Unfortunately, there's a jetpack asshole mountain on top of the tower, and the rockets are on a 30 second respawn. One guy in a game had 30 kills, 24 of them with the fucking rockets. WTF.
You really got to ask? Hell, Boardwalk, Reflection, and Pinnacle - people complain mostly about the latter two's weapon placement, but that isn't an issue. The more important figures for this is how many clips are in the Rocket Launcher on spawn, and how often it respawns. It should be maxed out (180) on every map, and in my dreamworld, 2 shots for Reflection, and 4 for Pinnacle and Boardwalk. I haven't played that map you mention, but how nobody caught that during their tests for the community maps is astounding.

Vehicles are similar in a manner. Recently I destroyed a Banshee on Paradiso and begin to head to the small mid-tower to gain an advantage over the Spartan Laser incase their Scorpion is next, but as soon as I grab it, I notice their Banshee is back again. Is the spawn on 60 or something? These things getting through "testing" is the question of the day.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
LunaticPuma said:
For real. However, I would rate H2 Team Objective over H3 MT. I'm not sure why people are surprised. I've always been a proponent of objective games and a detractor of MLG.
But the MLG objective gametypes are the best Halo has seen...

Pete Rock

LunaticPuma said:
RR wasn't that much fun in H3 and now it's even less fun in Reach.
What's your metric for fun? They've done everything possible to improve it and make it a legit fit for matchmaking, unlike the gametype of the past which was plagued by griefers and other degenerate XBL users. It's also amazing with 6 teams and the new maps. Have a look at my rendered videos if you doubt the potential the gametype has to offer relative to the past iteration. Driving skill is more important and rewarded than previously, and you have to be mindful of your rockets in all instances, shooting and boosting as well. All in all a 110% improvement, coming from the perspective of someone who played it nearly exclusively in Halo 3.

Alienshogun said:
nope
Funny thing about that is Bungie was hyping the hell out of race/rocket race.
What? Oh, you mean when they barely touched on some of the features while parenthetically mentioning the Race modes in a sarcastic allusion to the massive preorder spike they would most certainly not entail? Riiiight :lol

Although I have to agree, get it the fuck out of MT and into its own playlist already!

Striker said:
You really got to ask? Hell, Boardwalk, Reflection, and Pinnacle - people complain mostly about the latter two's weapon placement, but that isn't an issue. The more important figures for this is how many clips are in the Rocket Launcher on spawn, and how often it respawns. It should be maxed out (180) on every map, and in my dreamworld, 2 shots for Reflection, and 4 for Pinnacle and Boardwalk. I haven't played that map you mention, but how nobody caught that during their tests for the community maps is astounding.

Vehicles are similar in a manner. Recently I destroyed a Banshee on Paradiso and begin to head to the small mid-tower to gain an advantage over the Spartan Laser incase their Scorpion is next, but as soon as I grab it, I notice their Banshee is back again. Is the spawn on 60 or something? These things getting through "testing" is the question of the day.

Rocket is 4 shots for both pinnacle and boardwalk. On Boardwalk though, the Pro variant causes a second one to spawn in, instead of the plasma launcher though. They really need a "Board Walk Pro" without that second 2 shot rocket. For Reflection, I really like MLG's take on it, where it doesn't spawn in right away, not sure how much ammo it has.

That's probably because of the vehicle spawns in Paradiso are max 1, with like a 180 second respawn. So the Banshee is going to respawn 3 minutes into the match, unless another one exists at which point it won't. Once the banshee is in play though, the system gives the OK to spawn the new banshee. It's good because it's a system you can easily predict and anticipate, but for things with long shelf times (Vehicles on Paradiso/Hemo) it doesn't work so well. There the Halo 2 spawning system of "Once destroyed it takes 180 seconds" is better.

I'm wondering if bungie's Gametype definitions are kind of fucked though, I just can't imagine that all these maps have all these fucked up weapon spawns. Especially because the authors often changed default ammo, but not default spawn times?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
electricpirate said:
Rocket Race didn't even ship on the disc, it's basically free DLC, as I don't believe you can build that game type with default race options.

It and Firefight VS weren't available at launch, didn't stop them from hyping both to hell and back.

Anyway, we're getting away from the point.

BUNGIE FIX YOUR SHIT!

Pete Rock

Alienshogun said:
No dude, they mentioned race, a lot, multiple times.
Apparently we have different perspectives of "hyped the hell out of", unless you want to grab me some BWU links to quantify "a lot, multiple times", at least relative to FF VS which I remember getting hyped significantly harder for something so utterly awful :lol

Free DLC is generous, considering it's referenced in the manual yet wasn't immediately available, particularly when you mention the only reason it had to be released that way - you can't enable teams in the default Race/Rally modes, for whatever reason - it is functionally impossible. The date on the gametype is 9.13, the day before release, yet it took a couple weeks for it to show up in MT with the busted default map setups, like spawning in Core Room on Boneyard.

Alienshogun said:

BUNGIE FIX YOUR SHIT!
True enough :D

pakkit

Banned
Tashi0106 said:
But the MLG objective gametypes are the best Halo has seen...
I've played probably around 20 objective based MLG games, and someone or everyone has quit in over 50 percent of those games.

GhaleonEB

Alienshogun said:
It and Firefight VS weren't available at launch, didn't stop them from hyping both to hell and back.
Firefight Vs. is on disc. I'm not sure, but I don't think Rocket Race is. That was his point.

And I don't recall them hyping those modes to hell and back, they were revealed as secondary, fun modes to the game well after the main featuers and modes had been announced. I still haven't played Rocket Race in Reach, myself.

Striker

Alienshogun said:

BUNGIE FIX YOUR SHIT!
Bungie only spoke a note on Rocket Race/Race. How do you make such an argument they "hyped them to hell and back"? As for FireFight VS, I do agree it was fairly dumb of them to mention how it'll be something different related to regular FF, but it's been basically invisible. The primary hype was Forge World and we've only seen little tastes of that in MM, but at least it's something larger than what we received during Halo 3's duration. Hardly got anything outside MLG variants or junk like Smashed.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
They talked about Race more than once, and we talked about it a few times when they did, not sure why people aren't remembering.

Regardless, the point is a lot of things they mentioned to get the community fired up, and talked about how awesome they were ended up being pieces of shit.

Forge world, and all/most of it's spawn, Armor lock, Race, Focus beam, etc.

GhaleonEB

Alienshogun said:
They talked about Race more than once, and we talked about it a few times when they did, not sure why people aren't remembering.
Of course they talked about it a few times. They build the mode and shipped it and then wrote about it a bit on the website. Mentioning a new mode a few times in a BWU is not hyping something to hell. You are thinking of the Campaign. If you got all whipped up for it, that's your problem. There's a lot of stuff in Reach, Bungie talked about nearly all of it before release.

Pete Rock

GhaleonEB said:
I still haven't played Rocket Race in Reach, myself.
You probably won't either, unless you take a party of 6+ into Multiteam and vote None, then pick it out of the second voting set. I literally cannot think of this setup for any other gametype in Halo. If you want to play Zombies, you can. If you want to play Elite Slayer, you can vote for it in damn near every slayer format iteration available. If you want to play RR you need a fucking crew with a supermajority and the mindfulness to run the votes constantly - no bathroom breaks while voting! :lol

If they don't get it up at the same time as Grifball I'm really going to lose hope, considering their justification for that delay was waiting on the community to send them gametypes & maps, much like MLG. Well, it's all in house for RR and always has been, so that doesn't really fly. Fix your shit, Bungle!

Alienshogun said:
I thought it was "dude, a lot, multiple times"? Now it's "more than once"? Either way, not exactly "hyped the hell out of" no matter which way you slice it.

Regardless, the point is a lot of things they mentioned to get the community fired up, and talked about how awesome they were ended up being pieces of shit.
Except the only thing shitty about Rocket Race is its unavailability due to the current implementation in Multiteam.

If you want to make the case that they spend an overwhelming amount of time hyping shit in general while failing to deliver, than yeah, that's Bungie for you - no argument there.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
GhaleonEB said:
Of course they talked about it a few times. They build the mode and shipped it and then wrote about it a bit on the website. Mentioning a new mode a few times in a BWU is not hyping something to hell. You are thinking of the Campaign. If you got all whipped up for it, that's your problem. There's a lot of stuff in Reach, Bungie talked about nearly all of it before release.

You're missing the point.

Regardless, everything in the BWUs prior to release were intended to hype.

Pete Rock said:
You probably won't either, unless you take a party of 6+ into Multiteam and vote None, then pick it out of the second voting set. I literally cannot think of this setup for any other gametype in Halo. If you want to play Zombies, you can. If you want to play Elite Slayer, you can vote for it in damn near every slayer format iteration available. If you want to play RR you need a fucking crew with a supermajority and the mindfulness to run the votes constantly - no bathroom breaks while voting! :lol

If they don't get it up at the same time as Grifball I'm really going to lose hope, considering their justification for that delay was waiting on the community to send them gametypes & maps, much like MLG. Well, it's all in house for RR and always has been, so that doesn't really fly. Fix your shit, Bungle!

I thought it was "dude, a lot, multiple times"? Now it's "more than once"? Either way, not exactly "hyped the hell out of" no matter which way you slice it.

Except the only thing shitty about Rocket Race is its unavailability due to the current implementation in Multiteam.

If you want to make the case that they spend an overwhelming amount of time hyping shit in general while failing to deliver, than yeah, that's Bungie for you - no argument there.

For me, more than twice is a lot when it comes to pre release mentions, a lot of people here were also going nuts with their plans to make race maps, but that's neither here nor there.

I disagree about rocket race anyway, I just hate the mode.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Alienshogun said:

BUNGIE FIX YOUR SHIT!

To them, Reach isn't broken. It was created the way they intended so to them, there's nothing to fix.

Gui_PT

Domino Theory said:
To them, Reach isn't broken. It's was created the way they intended so to them, there's nothing to fix.

Problem is, they're not the ones playing the game. And it shows.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Pretty sure they don't think of that much.

Everytime they talk about the development of their games, they always say "we [Bungie] make the games we [Bungie] want to play". They've said that numerous times for Halo 3, ODST and Reach.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Gui_PT said:
Problem is, they're not the ones playing the game. And it shows.
This

Domino Theory said:

Everytime they talk about the development of their games, they always say "we [Bungie] make the games we [Bungie] want to play". They've said that numerous times for Halo 3, ODST and Reach.

And that will bite them in the ass in the end.

GhaleonEB

Alienshogun said:
You're missing the point.

Regardless, everything in the BWUs prior to release were intended to hype.
No, I'm not, and no, they weren't. You've gone from Rocket Race being "hyped to hell and back" to they "talked about Race more than once" to noting that it was mentioned in a BWU. You were presenting the argument that Race/Rocket Race was hyped up as some major feature pre-release. This is not true, full stop. It's a version of Race, which is an extra mode in the game that's featured as one option in one playlist. It's representation in matchmaking is entirely proportional to the amount of pre-release attention Bungie gave it.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
GhaleonEB said:
No, I'm not, and no, they weren't. You've gone from Rocket Race being "hyped to hell and back" to they "talked about Race more than once" to noting that it was mentioned in a BWU. You were presenting the argument that Race/Rocket Race was hyped up as some major feature pre-release. This is not true, full stop. It's a version of Race, which is an extra mode in the game that's featured as one option in one playlist. It's representation in matchmaking is entirely proportional to the amount of pre-release attention Bungie gave it.

Yes, you're missing the point, the point being exactly what Gui and Domino are talking about above you.

To me it was hyped, you obviously don't agree, that's not the point. I clearly saw it as more than you did when they mentioned it more than once, you didn't. The fact you don't think the BWUs prior to release were pure hype astounds me, but again it's moot and doesn't matter since it's not the point.

The point is they brought up how awesome things were, only for them to suck, and suck hard.

Ramirez

electricpirate said:
Rocket Race didn't even ship on the disc, it's basically free DLC, as I don't believe you can build that game type with default race options.

Worst free DLC ever? :lol

I pooped on kids today pretty consistently, I think I get better the less I play the game, I know it keeps me from raging on it so hard...

Can we go ahead and call Forge World the biggest blunder ever? The framerate is simply laughable on FW a good portion of the time. I was playing that community playlist, and I think the map is Reverance or something, it's suspended over Blood Gulch. On more than one occasion the framerate dropped into what seemed like single digits, I wasn't scoping or anything, and it lasted for a good 5-10 seconds, it was completely unplayable. -_-

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Domino Theory said:

This contradicts Bungie patching their game. They patch and add features according to the community. The assumption that we are the majority who dislike armor lock is ignorant. Some people use it advantageously. Its a decision decision gone wrong, and everyone knows it, but it's ignorant to expect swift removed of the AA altogether when plenty still enjoy using it, whether because of what it is, or the competitive edge it gives them.

Sitting on a high horse, posting on a forum doesn't mean we represent the entire Halo community.

Striker

Cold Storage was sweet DLC. ;)

As for the "hype" to RR/FF VS:

If you thought Rocket Race sucked in Halo 3, why would you have any faith or hope to enjoy it in this game? You're just creating your own hype, and the eventual downfall when you become disappointed. Bungie did not compose the hype surrounding neither FireFight VS or Rocket Race. They mentioned them both as minor gametypes in the numerous amount of modes in the game. The problem with FireFight VS isn't that it is not any good, it's how poorly implemented it has been placed into Matchmaking. But putting things in properly MM or in certain playlist hasn't been a strong suit for Bungie since Halo 3, in my view.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Striker said:
Cold Storage was sweet DLC. ;)

As for the "hype" to RR/FF VS:

If you thought Rocket Race sucked in Halo 3, why would you have any faith or hope to enjoy it in this game? You're just creating your own hype, and the eventual downfall when you become disappointed. Bungie did not compose the hype surrounding neither FireFight VS or Rocket Race. They mentioned them both as minor gametypes in the numerous amount of modes in the game. The problem with FireFight VS isn't that it is not any good, it's how poorly implemented it has been placed into Matchmaking. But putting things in properly MM or in certain playlist hasn't been a strong suit for Bungie since Halo 3, in my view.

I can see where you're coming from with Rocket race, but VS Firefight was a secret announcement at E3 and was definitely hyped IMO, but maybe I'm off base on that too.

Anyhow, it's just another shit mode (currently even though it's not even available now anyway) in a long line of shitty decisions they made.

Alienshogun said:
I can see where you're coming from with Rocket race, but VS Firefight was a secret announcement at E3 and was definitely hyped IMO, but maybe I'm off base on that too.

Anyhow, it's just another shit mode (currently even though it's not even available now anyway) in a long line of shitty decisions they made.
The important distinction is that FF VS is a fully playable and custimizable mode in Custom Games whereas RR is not available to people at all if they have never gone online.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Blergmeister said:
The important distinction is that FF VS is a fully playable and custimizable mode in Custom Games whereas RR is not available to people at all if they have never gone online.

Not sure what this is relevant to.

We aren't talking about what's on the disk and what isn't, we're talking about shit Bungie either hyped or talked about as being "awesome, or good" and ended up being shit.

Firefight versus is awesome! When I play it with friends at home, it is totally fun. And Bungie haven't hyped it? Or did Bungie say that Firefight VS would change the world of coop gametypes? They only explains and introduces the mode. Otherwise we have to know what you understand as hype. Or do we talk about the BWUs after the launch?

Alienshogun said:
Not sure what this is relevant to.

We aren't talking about what's on the disk and what isn't, we're talking about shit Bungie either hyped or talked about as being "awesome, or good" and ended up being shit.

Custom Firefight was also hyped up. Remember all of that about completely customizing waves and the like. All this awesome stuff. Its there and is as awesome as they say. Firefight in matchmaking may not be worth the hype to some people. FF VS was hyped up and is awesome! In much the same way the matchmaking version is meh.

RR was shady because it was touted as a feature (not very much mind) but a group of kids without the ability to hook to live still can't play it fully featured in LAN.

I really think that the Firefight maps would make for some fun MM maps if they tweaked them a bit for balance. It would be fun to play snipers across the ridge in the map based on the first level of campaign, and so on and so forth. Some spaces wouldn't work out, but I think around 3 would be great.

Alienshogun said:
Yeah, so changing the needler/AL loadout didn't do shit.

Look at this, and I was just going for assists.

http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/gamestats.aspx?gameid=411837610&player=AlienShogun

PP OC melee/stick Armor lock combo for the fucking win/lose however you look at it.

4 kills from AL alone.

I was going to post a video, but it isn't worth it. Bungie won't listen anyway.
I guess I'm confused, they took out the Needler/AL combo and put what in it's place? AL is still in Elite Slayer?

Striker

Yes, AL remains but they changed it to a Plasma Rifle. Better than a Needler which is still a viable mid-range weapon whereas the Plasma Rifle is close quarters.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Major Williams said:
I guess I'm confused, they took out the Needler/AL combo and put what in it's place? AL is still in Elite Slayer?

Yep, they simply replaced it with Plasma rifle and plasma pistol, the plasma pistol is the way to go since you can OC/melee with it, or burst fire for the kill.

Striker said:
Yes, AL remains but they changed it to a Plasma Rifle. Better than a Needler which is still a viable mid-range weapon whereas the Plasma Rifle is close quarters.
And it's a Plasma RIFLE, not a Repeater. The rifle is very weak in all aspects, though that obviously doesn't preclude people from picking up other weapons.

Top Bottom