• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
op_ivy said:
i'm sure this was posted, or at least mentioned, on the colbert report steven identified the members of seal team VI responsible for taking out bin laden...

tumblr_lko8704SzB1qz82gvo1_500.jpg

:p

v5jji.jpg

IMO, starting AA's should only be Sprint and Hologram, with the others placed on certain maps as a lone pickup. 4 options on spawn:

• Sprint/Pistol/AR/x1 sticky
  • Sprint/AR/DMR/x1 frag
  • Hologram/Pistol/AR/x1 sticky
  • Hologram/AR/DMR/x1 frag

That could cover all the mid-size maps and reduce the level of douchebaggery by a lot.

edit: wow, who do I need to blow for the golden codpiece? I have little to no shame.

GhaleonEB

Spartan Colbert is the best thing ever. :lol

I like how he exists outside the male/female spectrum. He is a sex all unto himself.

GhaleonEB said:

I like how he exists outside the male/female spectrum. He is a sex all unto himself.
Can I trade in the haunted helmet for the Colbert option?

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
GhaleonEB said:

Truthiness transcends traditional gender roles.

bobs99 ... said:
OMG URK CONFIRMS NEW ARMOUR!!!!

:p, I wonder how that was made, it looks sweet.

Photoshop. I can tell by the pixels. :p

squidhands said:
IMO, starting AA's should only be Sprint and Hologram, with the others placed on certain maps as a lone pickup. 4 options on spawn:

• Sprint/Pistol/AR/x1 sticky
  • Sprint/AR/DMR/x1 frag
  • Hologram/Pistol/AR/x1 sticky
  • Hologram/AR/DMR/x1 frag

That could cover all the mid-size maps and reduce the level of douchebaggery by a lot.

edit: wow, who do I need to blow for the golden codpiece? I have little to no shame.
I keep forgetting about the possibility of AA-pickup in multiplayer. Just give everyone sprint (eh, I guess Hologram too) and treat all of the other AAs as power weapons.

How would GAF react to a Drop Shield pickup in objective games? I think I'd actually be okay with that. Give it a hefty respawn time and limit it to one or two allowed on map at any given time... Basically turn it into a Bubble Shield.

Same thing with Jetpack. Having one pickup on Reflection would keep that unique gameplay element without letting it completely ruin the map design and flow.

I even think I could stomach losing to Armor Lock if I knew that my opponent actually had to grab the pickup first. BTB games could even have multiple AA pickups, so it wouldn't be impossible to nab one. Place the Active Camo pickup far away from the Sniper spawn, so if you get killed by an invis sniper at least you know he worked for it.

GhaleonEB

urk said:
Truthiness transcends traditional gender roles.
Were my mother, who was an anthropologist, to read this, she would note that sex and gender are different things and then lament how they are incorrectly used interchangeably.

But I think it's safe to say that Colbert trancends both.

ncsuDuncan said:

I keep forgetting about the possibility of AA-pickup in multiplayer. Just give everyone sprint (eh, I guess Hologram too) and treat all of the other AAs as power weapons.

How would GAF react to a Drop Shield pickup in objective games? I think I'd actually be okay with that. Give it a hefty respawn time and limit it to one or two allowed on map at any given time... Basically turn it into a Bubble Shield.

Same thing with Jetpack. Having one pickup on Reflection would keep that unique gameplay element without letting it completely ruin the map design and flow.

I even think I could stomach losing to Armor Lock if I knew that my opponent actually had to grab the pickup first. BTB games could even have multiple AA pickups, so it wouldn't be impossible to nab one. Place the Active Camo pickup far away from the Sniper spawn, so if you get killed by an invis sniper at least you know he worked for it.
6hWbQ.jpg

OK! Now I'm on board. Hire ncsuDuncan.

ncsuDuncan said:

Can we try this out tonight? This sounds incredible.

Doesn't MLG do this with Evade?

ncsuDuncan said:

Since AA's pretty much took the place of the powerups/equipment of Halo's past, it would only make sense to have the more powerful ones placed in the same way in Reach. Don't really like the idea of Dropshield in multiplayer at all; it belongs in FF and Campaign alone in my humble opinion. The combo of protection/health recharge/trolling objectives just add too much to what I dislike about Reach's multiplayer.

Hitmonchan107 said:
Can we try this out tonight? This sounds incredible.

Doesn't MLG do this with Evade?

Yes, MLG does do this. But I think it would also work for the other Matchmaking lists (well, except obvious stuff like Grifball, Living Dead, Action Sack, etc.) MLG takes the competitive stuff to the extreme. I think a balance can be found that allows things like Armor Lock, Jetpack, Drop Shield to give games variety without being overused.

Forget evade though. That should be Elites-only.

I'd be up to try it tonight, but I can't get on until 10:30(est) at the earliest I suspect. (Wednesday nights are Settlers of Catan. Also South Park, but I'll probably just watch that online tomorrow.)

It wouldn't take much in Forge to make it work, although some maps will have to be tuned to account for reduced jetpack availability. (Which is sort of what I was going for with Glaive, my Sword Base map. I really want to see how it plays with AA pickups. I also have ideas for making Boneyard and Boardwalk less Jetpack-dependent.)

squidhands said:
Since AA's pretty much took the place of the powerups/equipment of Halo's past, it would only make sense to have the more powerful ones placed in the same way in Reach. Don't really like the idea of Dropshield in multiplayer at all; it belongs in FF and Campaign alone in my humble opinion. The combo of protection/health recharge/trolling objectives just add too much to what I dislike about Reach's multiplayer.

That's a good point, there isn't much hope for Drop Shield in objective. But I think it would be worth testing. Heck, treat it like the most coveted power weapon - stick it in the very middle of Hemorrhage for CTF. And when the defender that has it dies no one else can pick it up like they could with Bubble Shield.

In one-sided gametypes it could be placed near the Attacker spawn, so it would usually help with the attack but could occasionally be swiped by an adventurous defendor.

OK, now I'm sad that Colbert armor doesn't actually exist :(

He could have an armor effect that lets loose an eagle screech every time you jump with the flag.

Ramirez

Mazer Rackham said:
smokeycraigDAAAAAAAAAAAMN.jpg
are guests allowed on the classic playlist?

Well, unless I hacked Bungie.net and photoshopped that on there, yes, they are.

A day when guests are ushered into their own playlist like the plebes they are will be a great day.
lol never

Colbert helmet FTW!

oh and what's it going to take for the powers that be in MM to realize that having a drop shield load out in any capacity, especially in objective gametypes, is a horrible idea? This shouldn't even need to reiterated at this point but I guess all we can do is point it out (aka rant) until they eventually come to their senses.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Evade works in MLG. It's a power weapon, it can really effect the match if used correctly. I think it works for Spartans.

GhaleonEB said:
Don't get me started.

At the start of your video, I thought, how could it launch from the ground? It's usually Forge pieces that do it. Then I saw you heading over to bump into the Wraith. That'll do it, the Revenant is a twitchy one, that Revenant.

Haha yeah I knew that it was the forge pieces, that's why I was surprised as a I was on grass when I took off, but I guess that little bump over that forge piece before hand was enough to sent me to the heavens.

Tashi0106 said:
Evade works in MLG. It's a power weapon, it can really effect the match if used correctly. I think it works for Spartans.
Okay, you're probably right. My opinion of evade is no doubt tainted by people being able to choose it at spawn. The horror of evade + sword/shotgun is similar to Camo + Sniper. As long as the Evade pickup isn't too close to the sword or shotgun I would be okay with it.

It all comes back to my view that the most useful weapons/powerups/AAs should not spawn at or even close to the most useful position for it.
- Rockets should never spawn at an elevated position.
- Shotgun or sword should not spawn near a teleporter or air lift.
- Sniper shouldn't spawn at the best sniping perch.

Now for less powerful weapons, it's okay for them to spawn in a useful spot. A DMR in a good vantage point doesn't break the map. A plasma repeater in a close quarters area is fine. Is there even a cheap spot to spawn a needler?

I think you can rank the AAs by the negative impact they would have on gameplay depending on spawn location/rate:

Sprint
Hologram

Armor Lock
Jetpack

Active Camo
Evade
Drop Shield

So Tier 1 are AAs that are safe to have at spawn. Tier 2 are AAs that should be somewhat scarce, but spawn location is only a minor consideration. Tier 3 are AAs that should be treated as power weapons - very rare and placed in locations suboptimal for their use. (I had trouble ranking Armor Lock, Jetpack and Active Camo relative to each other. It all depends on the map and nearby weapons.)

Thoughts?

Crucio

ncsuDuncan said:
Okay, you're probably right. My opinion of evade is no doubt tainted by people being able to choose it at spawn. The horror of evade + sword/shotgun is similar to Camo + Sniper. As long as the Evade pickup isn't too close to the sword or shotgun I would be okay with it.

It all comes back to my view that the most useful weapons/powerups/AAs should not spawn at or even close to the most useful position for it.
- Rockets should never spawn at an elevated position.
- Shotgun or sword should not spawn near a teleporter or air lift.
- Sniper shouldn't spawn at the best sniping perch.

Now for less powerful weapons, it's okay for them to spawn in a useful spot. A DMR in a good vantage point doesn't break the map. A plasma repeater in a close quarters area is fine. Is there even a cheap spot to spawn a needler?

I think you can rank the AAs by the negative impact they would have on gameplay depending on spawn location/rate:

Sprint
Hologram

Armor Lock
Jetpack

Active Camo
Evade
Drop Shield

So Tier 1 are AAs that are safe to have at spawn. Tier 2 are AAs that should be somewhat scarce, but spawn location is only a minor consideration. Tier 3 are AAs that should be treated as power weapons - very rare and placed in locations suboptimal for their use. (I had trouble ranking Armor Lock, Jetpack and Active Camo relative to each other. It all depends on the map and nearby weapons.)

Thoughts?

I think the way Bungie made the game was by intent to be different from Halo 3. If ya'll want AA pickups then Halo 3 should be right for you. I don't think that AAs should work in that way.

Dax01 likes Portal 2 more than Halo =(

Edit.: I played Squad Slayer today and the gametype is bad. Because we played on Reflection and the team, that controls the first floor, rules over the map.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Crucio said:
I think the way Bungie made the game was by intent to be different from Halo 3. If ya'll want AA pickups then Halo 3 should be right for you. I don't think that AAs should work in that way.
lol nope.

There isn't a jetpack in 3 there isn't sprint. The abilities are completely different, they become more powerful when only one person has it. They should be pickups, especially armor lock and camo.

Crucio said:
In a perfect world where all AAs are balanced then sure but since they clearly aren't then I think he's on to something.

Top Bottom