• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

MrBig

xxjuicesxx said:
Has anybody thats played NASCAR ever played Double Rainbow/Across the Sky? You know the gametype I'm talking about?
Nope, but it looks to be a mongoose version of NASCAR; will play this weekend

bobs99 ... said:
I hate you guys for playing Halo 3 so late on a Tuesday night, can you not change Halo 3 night to the weekend? :p Or start it early enough for us euro people to get a few games in before having to sleep for work?
I didn't want to step on Dani's toes with his customs nights. If the weekend works better for more people, we could switch it over.

What day would work best for you guys?

Tunavi

Banned
A27 Tawpgun said:
Hmm I'd like to get back on Reach. Been playing too much Gears 3 anyway.
Who are you again?
Steelyuhas said:
Sounds like someone lost in Dino Blasters, we were loving it :p
I really liked Wayont, and there were warthogs.
Those Squad Slayer games were straight rough.
DINO BLASTERS WAS LAME OKAY?
I went -6
I never got in a warthog, thats probably why I thought Wayont was stale. I'd love to play it again, I just feel like its missing something though.
We've gotta play squad against another group of players to see how 5v5 actually plays out

Hitmonchan107 said:
I didn't want to step on Dani's toes with his customs nights. If the weekend works better for more people, we could switch it over.

What day would work best for you guys?

Perhaps Halo 3 customs could happen just before regular customs? I actually wouldn't mind playing Halo 3 customs on Tuesdays but its the late start that makes it really difficult for me. Same with regular customs actually. I guess the majority of people here find it easier starting at that time, but if there are any eurohalogaf people who are up for Halo 3 customs let me know!

Tunavi

Banned
Apparently a soft-kill zone has been put above the Boneyard Tier one objectives so that you can't camp up there anymore. Awesome

blamite

ncsuDuncan said:
I wouldn't hold out hope for NASCAR making it into matchmaking. The framerate and general craziness will probably keep it a customs-only thing.

Then again, Glacier was in matchmaking. And so is skee-ball. Crash Derby should make it.
BELIEVE.
NASCAR can't be in Action Sack because Infection is a FFA mode. It could be in Living Dead, I guess, although that playlist hasn't really had any chances since it was introduced. It would be nice for it to get some custom maps, maybe I'd even try it out then.

Hey You

Full changelist:

PLAYLISTS

General
* Removed Noble Map Pack, added all appropriate entries into Defiant Map Pack
* Doubled Jackpots for The Arena, Squad Slayer and Defiant Map Pack
* Added Arcadefight game variant to Firefight Arcade
* FRGfight on Waterfront now has Map Hazards Disabled
* Removed Boardwalk and Crazy King Pro from Rumble Pit
* Removed Anchor 9 from Team SWAT, Unanchored remains available

The Arena
* Loosened restrictions on matches to improve match times
* Added Community Maps: Enclosed, Kingdom, Synapse

Living Dead
* Now supports 12 players
* Removed Safe Havens
* Added Alpha Zombies
* Removed Pinnacle

Team Slayer
* Added Community Maps: Affinity, Enclosed, Kingdom, Synapse, Treasury
* Modified voting categories so Sword Base and Countdown will be less dominant in Slot 1
* Reduced Maximum Local Player Count to 2

Squad Slayer (New!)
* New 5v5 playlist featuring Big Party Restrictions
* Limited loadouts, no Armor Lock or Dropshield
* Allows Maximum Local Player Count of 4

Double Team
* Added Community Maps: Enclosed, Synapse, Treasury

Big Team Battle
* Added Community Maps: Abridged, Renegade, Utopie, Wayont, Trident, Temptation
* Added Assault game variants
* Removed Headhunter and Bro Slayer
* Removed Elite Slayer on Spire

MLG
* Updated MLG Retroactive to v3.1

Action Sack
* Added new game variants: Shotty Snipers, Splockets, BOOM! Ball, Hog-Potato, Shotgun Assault, Dino Blasters, Rocket CTF, To The Death!
* Added a second round of voting

Team Classic
* Added new game variants: Classic Assault, Classic CTF, Classic King, Classic Oddball
* Updated and modified maps: Eclipse, Magus, Noble Creek, Prolonged, Prophet, Rat Trap
* Classic Rifles now has NR/AR starts

MAPS

Boneyard
* Added kill volumes for Invasion: Boneyard to prevent players from getting on the upper pipes or past the phase 1 shields

Asylum
* Fixed a Plasma Repeater which did not respawn
* Needle Rifles now has the same spare clips
* DMRs now have spare clips

Hockey Rink
* Goals are now larger
* Bumpers added along the sides of the rink to push the ball back into the playing area
* Added more noisemakers to the goals

GAMETYPES

General
* Speedpile HUD widget now updates correctly when flags are deleted while being carried
* Speedpile and Speedflag now attach flags to the players biped instead of the players equipment, this can create inconsistent attachment orientations, but will allow for more custom game options
* Added "Super Shields" option for CTF, Assault, Oddball and King of the Hill game variants
* Big Team Slayer now uses DMR/AR starting weapons
* Disabled Friendly Fire and Betrayal Booting in Rocket Race game variants
* Team Classic game variants now use 1 frag starts
* Team Classic game variants now use 3x overshield

Assault
* The option for "Bomb Carrier Cooldown" in Assault is no longer hidden
* Assault variants with a 15 second respawn now use a 10 second respawn
* All Neutral Bomb game variants should now have Reset on Disarm Disabled

HaloBall
* Noisemaker duration increased to 2 seconds
* Hockey players are now immune to assassinations

MLG
* All MLG game variants now have 0% Health Recharge Rate
* MLG King now has a 15 minute round time limit
* MLG Bomb Sanc now has Bomb Disarm Disabled

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Dani and I did the New Alexandria run last night in under 30 minutes. It really wasn't that difficult.

However, if you're going to do it co-op, you might not want to use the hospital trick as seen in this video. Dani and I did it and rather than teleporting me outside after I hit the jammer, it locked me in the hospital! Dani had to finish the rest of the level by himself. And then right as he blew up the last Shade turret, this happened...

Cocopjojo said:
Dani and I did the New Alexandria run last night in under 30 minutes. It really wasn't that difficult.

However, if you're going to do it co-op, you might not want to use the hospital trick as seen in this video. Dani and I did it and rather than teleporting me outside after I hit the jammer, it locked me in the hospital! Dani had to finish the rest of the level by himself. And then right as he blew up the last Shade turret, this happened...
Reproducible? I think so. It happened to me and my buddy last night also. I was in the Banshee at the time after hitting the jammer and BAM, stuck. Finally it warped me to my partner but alas, it didn't put me in the seat of his falcon and I fell to my demise. On the next spawn I was still in the hospital but went on foot after hitting the jammer. This time my bro did not get into the falcon but waited inside the hospital. BAM, it teleported me outside and we went on to victory.

So yeah. A little wonky but not too difficult.

Cocopjojo said:

2011: A New Alexandria Oddity

Hitmonchan107 said:
Why doesn't Bungie have Community Playlist Managers? Using insight from people like Ghaleon for Firefight or Tashi for MLG would help fix these small problems that go unfixed.

Twice a month, these CPMs could send in a report listing several changes that would benefit the playlist. Sending in two reports (an initial report and a final report) would give the CPMs time to test out the suggested changes from the initial report with the community.

It's kind of like journalism -- you can't be an expert in all fields, so find the people who excel in their own field to complete the story.

It's obvious the "ear to the forum" approach isn't working. There's too much noise drowning out the good ideas.

For this to work, Bungie would need several prestigious, intelligent members of the community for each playlist to ensure several things:
1) That one person wouldn't shoulder the blame for something slipping through the cracks.
2) That several opinions would be heard to help shape the playlists.

Isn't this the way it works for the Grifball community?

Of course, it would ultimately be up to NoF to initiate the changes, but I think a "by the people, for the people" approach is key to increasing the longevity of the game.
Honestly, this should have been in place from the beginning. Jeremiah should have acted like a general contractor, overseeing all of the matchmaking playlists and having final say in what gets implemented, while subbing out the specific playlist details to his minions that play a lot and gather quality intel from various Halo sites. Maybe this is already how it works, but the perceived manpower is severely lacking.

Havok said:
Hate isn't really accurate. I think most people believe that they are just used as panic buttons that don't really require the same amount of finesse (for the lack of a better term) to do well with. I use automatic weapons at appropriate ranges, but it doesn't mean that I think they're particularly great. Edit: What people actually hate is when automatic weapon starts are used on inappropriate maps (AR starts on Highlands and Hemorrhage, for example, both of which exist right now in matchmaking).

Oh yeah, that's terrible. Unless it's like a DMR/AR start, and not an AR/pistol start. But IMO, that has more to do with the range of the weapons than the firing-style/rate.

Lake Minnetonka said:
It's not that they're automatic but they require no precision. Movement speed in Halo is so slow that keeping your reticule over someone's chest is simple. If these weapons had less spread and headshots dealt more damage so precise aiming was rewarded, then using the weapon would be more satisfying and firefights less one-dimensional.

True. I still find automatic weapons to use, but that's mostly because, IMO, they're the weapons that encourage (if not out-right REQUIRE) players to combine all three of the combat trifecta.

Tossing a grenade to lower shields, chewing through armor with the AR, and then finishing with a quick melee is always fun for me. Anybody that goes AR-to-AR in a spray-and-pray dance is an idiot, cause the winner is going to be so weakened, that they're just get killed by the closest enemy.

Ending the battle with as little damage as possible by using melees and nades is what makes auto weapons fun. But they're really ONLY useful at close-range, so IMO, if a DMR or pistol user allows an AR user to get close enough to kill them with an AR, then they earned the kill, even if just holding down a trigger takes little skill.

I DO think that Bungie should make pumping the trigger for burst fire more effective. Right now, the difference in spread is so negligible, that nobody does it. I'd like to see a HUGE increase in accuracy and range with burst fire.

The Antitype said:
True. I still find automatic weapons to use, but that's mostly because, IMO, they're the weapons that encourage (if not out-right REQUIRE) players to combine all three of the combat trifecta.

Tossing a grenade to lower shields, chewing through armor with the AR, and then finishing with a quick melee is always fun for me. Anybody that goes AR-to-AR in a spray-and-pray dance is an idiot, cause the winner is going to be so weakened, that they're just get killed by the closest enemy.

Ending the battle with as little damage as possible by using melees and nades is what makes auto weapons fun. But they're really ONLY useful at close-range, so IMO, if a DMR or pistol user allows an AR user to get close enough to kill them with an AR, then they earned the kill, even if just holding down a trigger takes little skill.
Grenades are more useful for setting up precision kills as the majority of a pistol or DMR's kill-time is occupied by stripping the opponent's shield. Using a grenade to drop shields just to whittle away at their health bar with the AR doesn't make as much sense when a single DMR/pistol shot would do it and at a much broader range at that.

ARs do promote more melee but I'm not of the opinion that each of the 3 pillars should be at play equally, especially when gunplay and nades are a lot more involved.

ARs drop shields too quickly to rely on you maintaining yours when you go in for a melee and not trading kills. Going into melee range is the last thing you want to do if your goal is to leave an encounter without being completely vulnerable. Even if you're able time it correctly so that their shields drop while you still have shields when you melee, you'll still trade blows and come out unshielded and begging to get domed.

The Antitype said:
I DO think that Bungie should make pumping the trigger for burst fire more effective. Right now, the difference in spread is so negligible, that nobody does it. I'd like to see a HUGE increase in accuracy and range with burst fire.
It would be nice if the AR's bloom expanded and retracted more rapidly to encourage burst fire. Each round being more powerful but full-auto fire being less viable.

s4rt4j.jpg

Starts in 15 minutes! Message Hitmonchan107 for an invite.

Since this is the first time in a while we've had a Halo 3 customs night, I figured we would play some good old-fashioned games, like Multi-Flag on Valhalla.

If you miss the ebb and flow of Halo gameplay, join in!

Hey You

Splockets (Spartan Lasers and Rocket Launchers) on Uncaged. Now I'm convinced that either the people at Bungie are very bad or they don't test these gametypes and Maps out.

Lake Minnetonka said:
Grenades are more useful for setting up precision kills as the majority of a pistol or DMR's kill-time is occupied by stripping the opponent's shield. Using a grenade to drop shields just to whittle away at their health bar with the AR doesn't make as much sense when a single DMR/pistol shot would do it and at a much broader range at that.

ARs do promote more melee but I'm not of the opinion that each of the 3 pillars should be at play equally, especially when gunplay and nades are a lot more involved.

ARs drop shields too quickly to rely on you maintaining yours when you go in for a melee and not trading kills. Going into melee range is the last thing you want to do if your goal is to leave an encounter without being completely vulnerable. Even if you're able time it correctly so that their shields drop while you still have shields when you melee, you'll still trade blows and come out unshielded and begging to get domed.

Obviously. I'm just saying that if a person has an automatic weapon like the AR, they HAVE to use the grenades and melees to come out alive and with more health. If I want to stand a chance at all against a pistol or DMR user at close-medium range, I HAVE to use grenades to try and weaken them, disrupt their aim, and push them forward into a range that benefits me.

Personally, I usually carry a DMR and an AR. DMR to deal damage at med-range, and if they push forward, then I toss a grenade, and switch to the AR to close-range mop-up duty and maybe a melee.

GhaleonEB

Hey You said:
Splockets (Spartan Lasers and Rocket Launchers) on Uncaged. Now I'm convinced that either the people at Bungie are very bad or they don't test these gametypes and Maps out.
RE: To the Death!

Getting this on Asylum is terrible. The turrets still spawn, and people can use them and rip them off. If Bungie is going to do anything, turn off turrets for To the Death on Asylum.​
My emphasis added.

Goes back to what Juices and I keep saying about managing the playlists at the game type and map level, rather than just the playlist and game type level.

Havok

Cocopjojo said:

Same thing happened to me. Being in the crazy void while my coop partner with no shields was sniping the turrets with the Falcon was surreal.
GhaleonEB said:
Goes back to what Juices and I keep saying about managing the playlists at the game type and map level, rather than just the playlist and game type level.
It would solve so many problems. No longer would jetpacks ruin maps with exploitable structures, no longer would flag return times be hilariously awful on certain maps. (Of course, then updates might take even longer to fix issues that pop up)

JdFoX187

Banned
Havok said:
It would solve so many problems. No longer would jetpacks ruin maps with exploitable structures, no longer would flag return times be hilariously awful on certain maps. (Of course, then updates might take even longer to fix issues that pop up)
Halo 2 updates some times took several months, but the matchmaking issues weren't as bad.

Speaking of Halo 2, the PC version is plagued with nothing but terrible gametypes on servers. As much as I've always advocated a server browser, kind of makes me wish they would have put a standard matchmaking set up in there.

vhfive

MrBig said:
Sorry, got off for food and then I realized I should be studying, not playing unenjoyable matchmaking games.
your loss this game was fucking intense. Seriously the most fun I've had in Halo in months

Crucio

Actions Sack: Hockey! Assassinations turned off, thank god. Now I will actually play Action Sack again.
Dino Blasters: Fun! But crazy, not for the faint of heart.

So Squad Battle. Here's how my first games went in that playlist:

Seems to me like we outclassed in that playlist. Looks like all the "pros" don't like pistol starts? That's probably because of trueskill still being in the buffering stage right?

Arcadefight: Loving it. The 2X Score Attack of Arcade. Its gonna be a good break from hefty non-weapon pickup rounds.

Firefight suggestion for future updates: There should be a sudden death before the bonus round. Countless times have I got to 5 enemies remaining and the game ends. Especially on Unearthed it happens a lot.
Is it possible to setup such a thing?

Ken

Steelyuhas said:
So I've been staring at black screen for a solid five minutes. Should I just restart my xbox?
You should stick it out. I hear some people like guys who do so.

Havok

MrBig said:
If you can't open the guide it's frozen; restart.
Best test of whether it's a hard lock or not is to pull the battery from the controller; if the Q1 light on the console is still lit, you're SOL.

Crucio

I've waited longer than 5 minutes when that happened to me. Your game froze, restart it.

Have you guys ever had a session hold up just before loading a game? Where people have to go to dashboard to resume their play. Its a really sketchy event.

Ramirez

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but

"This event commemorates ten incredible years of Halo, looking back at the amazing stories that forged a diverse community and redefined gaming for two entire console generations. Join us August 26th-28th, at the Washington State Convention Center, and see why the last ten years of Halo were just the beginning."

Doesn't that pretty much confirm a new title of some kind at PAX? (likely to be unveiled at E3 I'm sure)

Tawpgun

Were any Gaffers in that insane CTF on Hemorrhage game a while ago? I feel like it was all HBO peeps, but some may be here.

The last 30 seconds were the most intense thing ever. That's what I live for. That's why I play Halo.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Were any Gaffers in that insane CTF on Hemorrhage game a while ago? I feel like it was all HBO peeps, but some may be here.

The last 30 seconds were the most intense thing ever. That's what I live for. That's why I play Halo.

Rendered video or it didn't happen.

Kuroyume

Banned
PLAYLISTS

General
* Removed Noble Map Pack, added all appropriate entries into Defiant Map Pack
* Doubled Jackpots for The Arena, Squad Slayer and Defiant Map Pack

Good... Yet no mention of removing AR starts and Snipers from Defiant?

Squad Slayer (New!)
* New 5v5 playlist featuring Big Party Restrictions
* Limited loadouts, no Armor Lock or Dropshield
* Allows Maximum Local Player Count of 4

What happened to Evade? I thought Armor Lock, Dropshield AND Evade were not in there. Wtf? That just turned this playlist from could be good to now flawed.

Big Team Battle
* Added Community Maps: Abridged, Renegade, Utopie, Wayont, Trident, Temptation
* Added Assault game variants
* Removed Headhunter and Bro Slayer
* Removed Elite Slayer on Spire

Removed Elite Slayer from Spire but not Hemmorhage? Kept Snipers in there too?

GAMETYPES

General
* Big Team Slayer now uses DMR/AR starting weapons

It didn't always use DMR/AR? Wtf?

Still some annoying stuff in there that needs to be changed but looks like an improvement overall from the crap that's been in there.

Top Bottom