• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

see5harp

Ramirez said:
Ugh, I need all 4 today, and won't even get a chance to play until late tonight, that campaign one is really lame in this instance for me, sigh.

I knew they were going to do some shadyness on the last day. I played a single match of firefight for the 20,000 points challenge and nearly went up a full rank with the 18K. SO AWESOME.

Karl2177

GhaleonEB said:
This is a crazy minor thing, but I wish the in-game progress bar for your rank had some notches in it, so I could see the progress a bit better. I'm playing Torchlight on and off, and it's got an experience bar with notches every 10%, making it easy to measure steady progress, even slowly. For Reach I judge how many letters I've crossed in my gamertag (yay, I'm up to the E!), and then a massive swath of nothing until the very end where the name of the next rank is. It's impossible to see any progress over the course of a day or even days.

I like to fill bars.
If you look closely at the bottom, the beta had percentages on the progression bar. Why was this even taken out? Why were Invasion colors changed?

*shakes fist at Bungie*

MrBig

GhaleonEB said:
I like to fill bars.

Yeah, that's one of my biggest disappointments with Reach's online system. They tilted the reward currency toward completion, not participation, which encourages idlers. And then didn't build any tools to thwart players to just idle for the completion credits.
7hH0P.gif

Sai-kun

Banned
Dax01 said:
I'd like to see a Halo: Reach Bar Filling Edition™. You get bars for everything you do.

Navigating the menu? Your bar fills up.
Walking in Campaign, Firefight, MP? Your bar fills up.
Upload a file to your fileshare? Your ball fills up.
Navigating through a video in Theater? Your bar fills up.
Moving your reticule around in Campaign, Firefight, and MP? Your bar fills up.

Etc, etc. Make it happen 343i. Also include rainbow armor.

would pay allards for rainbow armor effects

I'm just gonna go with the patern Bungie's using for the LASO runs and say that LnoS is going to be a really though one, especially the space part.

I think the Seraphs will be so hard to kill with mythic and Tilt since they have shields and I guess the bullets shot from the Saber count as human weapons and the fact your shields wont recharge.

and the control room in the corvet, I don't wanna thing about it with a concussion general and about 5 spec ops Elites (and a BoB if you're lucky).

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Tha Robbertster said:
I'm just gonna go with the patern Bungie's using for the LASO runs and say that LnoS is going to be a really though one, especially the space part.

I think the Seraphs will be so hard to kill with mythic and Tilt since they have shields and I guess the bullets shot from the Saber count as human weapons and the fact your shields wont recharge.

and the control room in the corvet, I don't wanna thing about it with a concussion general and about 5 spec ops Elites (and a BoB if you're lucky).

Pretty sure that doesn't apply to vehicles, I could be mistaken though.

Tha Robbertster said:

Bungie likes to kick between your legs.

If I remember correctly, the most people complained that the challenges had been too easy at the first months. I like the LASO challenge. Because I'll be trying to finish a mission on a difficulty, I never would play without motivation. And Bungie gives me this motivation.

Alienshogun said:
Pretty sure that doesn't apply to vehicles, I could be mistaken though.

I haven't tried it myself but in one LASO run vid, a guy was shooting for 7 minutes at a hunter with a warthog chain gun......

Hypertrooper said:
Bungie likes to kick between your legs.

If I remember correctly, the most people complained that the challenges had been too easy at the first months. I like the LASO challenge. Because I'll be trying to finish a mission on a difficulty, I never would play without motivation. And Bungie gives me this motivation.

And yes, I agree with you on that but I aslo like my challanges to be fair and not nearly impossible, like some parts in TotS. And I think the space part will be another complaint for a lot of people.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Tha Robbertster said:
I haven't tried it myself but in one LASO run vid, a guy was shooting for 7 minutes at a hunter with a warthog chain gun......

I may be out of touch, but when did hunters become classified as vehicles?

Alienshogun said:
If we're talking Bungie.net scoring-wise, then probably Reach. They've been given a giant dot on the motion tracker since the original, though.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
A27_StarWolf said:
They never did...?

That's my point, I didn't think they were.

I'm saying I don't think Mythic/tilt affects vehicles.

ncsuDuncan said:
"Unlike most Covenant forces, Hunters seem to possess no visible rank. As they are deployed more like equipment or weapons platforms rather than conventional troops, or rank may simply not apply for them."

Can't remember what that's from (Halo 2 manual?), just thought it was fitting to the topic at hand.

It doesn't answer the question though, it simply gives an ambiguous statement.

Alienshogun said:

I was talking about shooting with a vehicle on enemies :p

But I'm not sure about the shooting on a vehicle and since the Seraph is the only vehicle with energy shields, the skulls may have a different effect on it.

Alienshogun said:

"Unlike most Covenant forces, Hunters seem to possess no visible rank. As they are deployed more like equipment or weapons platforms rather than conventional troops, or rank may simply not apply for them."

Can't remember what that's from (Halo 2 manual?), just thought it was fitting to the topic at hand.

ncsuDuncan said:

I miss the hunter death beam, I think that would make hunters perfect in reach.

blamite

A27_StarWolf said:
I miss the hunter death beam, I think that would make hunters perfect in reach.
You talking about the green stream they fired in Halo 3?
I wish the game was like ODST, where both types of Hunters were included.

Gui_PT

Since people were talking about LNoS LASO run, I checked the guide and saw this:

"Your goal here is to make it over to the Pelican and highjack the main gun. YES! You can in fact commandeer the Pelican gun and use it to finish the mission."

The heeeeeeelllllllllllll?!

I'm going to try this out right now!

Crucio

Gui_PT said:
Since people were talking about LNoS LASO run, I checked the guide and saw this:

"Your goal here is to make it over to the Pelican and highjack the main gun. YES! You can in fact commandeer the Pelican gun and use it to finish the mission."

The heeeeeeelllllllllllll?!

I'm going to try this out right now!

Is he talking about the Pelican inside the Corvette? The heck? You can't commandeer that.

Wow, I guess you can! Holy moly! Thats something that comes with luck but the needler rifle is a must to get it for sure. http://halo.bungie.org/gameplay/reach_mythic/lnos.html?p=3

Lingitiz

That video really shows how great objective gametypes were in Halo 2 (and 3 to a smaller extent). All the maps designed specifically to be asymmetrical and objective based are invasion maps. We don't really have anything like a Headlong or Zanzibar in Reach.
Kibbles said:
Halo 1 and 2 Remake Double-Pack on XBLA. 8)

Really though, I'm excited for whatever 343 has coming for Halo, they seem to get it and they are filled with talent. I'd love for them to premier something at E3.
Yeah i'm really liking how they've hired community people that love the story and campaign side as well as those who understand what makes Halo competitive and fun to play online.

What Halo really needs right now is a fresh take after 10 years. If Bungie had not left Halo it would still be time for something totally new.

Kibbles

Halo 1 and 2 Remake Double-Pack on XBLA. 8)

Really though, I'm excited for whatever 343 has coming for Halo, they seem to get it and they are filled with talent. I'd love for them to premier something at E3.

I just can't wait to see what they unveil in general. I'm expecting at least two "holy shit"s throughout the trailer/presentation/etc.

Karl2177 said:
If you look closely at the bottom, the beta had percentages on the progression bar. Why was this even taken out? Why were Invasion colors changed?

*shakes fist at Bungie*
Builds suspense man. Nothing like finishing up a game and seeing the progress marker not go to the beginning of the bar even though it looks like it's right fucking there on your screen.

Plus you can't really see the percentage once the marker hits the text.

MrBig

Crucio said:
Did you try it on a LASO run?
I have. It pretty much just has a huge force radius that pushes enemies away and takes forever to clear the area. You can't be killed though. It helps to shoot straight down at first to destroy the gun so that you can actually see.

Willeth

For anyone pre-emptively LASOing Long Night, the first door doesn't open until you've killed every enemy. My strategy was to leg it along the beach, run up to the door from the Wraith area and grab a drop shield. Kill the Grunt in the turret, then make judicious use of the drop shield to get close to the Wraith. Whack it to death to get your shield back.

By this point, your teammates will have made it up the beach and will probably have killed everything but the final Elite. Wait until it's dancing with one of them, then a quick backsmack. Don't forget to steal the rocket launcher from the Marine to deal with the Elite wandering the corridor.

Karl2177

Lingitiz said:
Don't know if this was posted already but the team at waypoint put up a few videos on some Halo 2 maps.
http://halo.xbox.com/en-us/intel/featured/complex/memory-lane-halo-2/c7acd269-6f56-41e9-a068-6262d93d320d
That Sanctuary video got me all teary eyed. Well, teary eyed in the sense that I wanted to play it sooooo bad.

Dax01 said:
Builds suspense man. Nothing like finishing up a game and seeing the progress marker not go to the beginning of the bar even though it looks like it's right fucking there on your screen.

Plus you can't really see the percentage once the marker hits the text.
That's where the suspense is. Am I going to get enough to rank up? As for percentages, now I'm looking at the bar go across the bottom of my screen asking myself "well that looks like it's around 9/20th or some weird fraction of the way there."

Crucio

Gui_PT said:
Why would I do that? I wanted to try the gun. Wouldn't waste 2 hours on it.
I thought maybe you'd use a Rally Point. :)

Also I'd like to point something out to HaloGAF, I saw this trailer for a movie called "Bad Teacher" with Cameron Diaz. Guess what her character's name is: Elizabeth Halsey.

I heard that and I was like WTF!

Gui_PT said:
Nice. For FF?

Tunavi

Banned
So I never had an xbox growing up, so I've never really played halo 2 online, but I would pay $15 for a xbla multiplayer-only port, and I wish MS knew there was money to be made off it

Top Bottom