• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

wwm0nkey

Tunavi said:
So I never had an xbox growing up, so I've never really played halo 2 online, but I would pay $15 for a xbla multiplayer-only port, and I wish MS knew there was money to be made off it
Im sure they know they would make money off of it. I do understand reasons as to why they wouldnt want to do that though, but like I said before Halo 2 XBLA would be the perfect Summer XBLA game.

Lingitiz

wwm0nkey said:
Im sure they know they would make money off of it. I do understand reasons as to why they wouldnt want to do that though, but like I said before Halo 2 XBLA would be the perfect Summer XBLA game.
I'm thinking the main reason they're hesitant to do it is because it would eat up some population from Reach. 343 has said that their main goal is to support Reach so it would be counter productive to release something to compete with it. Its probably why if we see a Halo CEmake it's online will have to be tied to Reach in some ways like ODST was with Reach.

Tunavi said:
So I never had an xbox growing up, so I've never really played halo 2 online, but I would pay $15 for a xbla multiplayer-only port, and I wish MS knew there was money to be made off it

Never had an Xbox growing up? Well I feel fucking old now, thanks.

wwm0nkey

Lingitiz said:
I'm thinking the main reason they're hesitant to do it is because it would eat up some population from Reach. 343 has said that their main goal is to support Reach so it would be counter productive to release something to compete with it. Its probably why if we see a Halo CEmake it's online will have to be tied to Reach in some ways like ODST was with Reach.
To be honest I dont think it would effect it as much considering a lot of people already left Reach :/

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Tha Robbertster said:
I'm just gonna go with the patern Bungie's using for the LASO runs and say that LnoS is going to be a really though one, especially the space part.

I think the Seraphs will be so hard to kill with mythic and Tilt since they have shields and I guess the bullets shot from the Saber count as human weapons and the fact your shields wont recharge.

and the control room in the corvet, I don't wanna thing about it with a concussion general and about 5 spec ops Elites (and a BoB if you're lucky).

The space part is the easiest part of that mission on LASO. Whenever there is a points challenge for campaign, I just load up LNoS rally point Alpha which is the beginning of the space part with all skulls on. It usually takes 5-7 minutes for an easy 40,000+ points.

Lingitiz

wwm0nkey said:
To be honest I dont think it would effect it as much considering a lot of people already left Reach :/
Well thats the thing, alot of the people still playing Reach are the hardcore Halo community and many of the people who have stopped playing would have stopped regardless. Releasing another Halo mp could basically kill off Reach's mp side, and it would send a message to players that they are moving on to the next game like we see so often with cod. I would really love to see a Halo 2 xbla but this is most likely how 343/MS is seeing things.

Tunavi said:
haha sorry, I'm 20 and I grew up on Game Boy

Haha, well I'm 24 going on 25 so there's not that much difference.

I guess I don't consider anything after SNES era "growing up" for me, although I was in my teens at the time. Even so it's weird to thing there's people playing Reach who were too young to have played Halo 2 when it came out.

Striker

Lingitiz said:
That video really shows how great objective gametypes were in Halo 2 (and 3 to a smaller extent). All the maps designed specifically to be asymmetrical and objective based are invasion maps. We don't really have anything like a Headlong or Zanzibar in Reach.
Halo 3 had no asymmetrical BTB maps either. And don't tell me Last Resort. That's a map designed for 4v4 or 6v6, and not very large like Relic or Terminal.

Lingitiz

Striker said:
Halo 3 had no asymmetrical BTB maps either. And don't tell me Last Resort. That's a map designed for 4v4 or 6v6, and not very large like Relic or Terminal.
Well i didn't specifically mean BTB at all, i meant maps made for objective gametypes in general. I enjoyed High Ground and Last Resort but not nearly as much as what i remember from Halo 2. Halo 3 had solid symmetrical maps like Standoff but never regained that awesome asymmetrical ctf/assault style that 2 had.

zlatko

Banned
Dax01 said:
Wait, so who's old in here now?

I'm 23. I too never had my own Xbox for H1 and H2 back in the day. Growing up I really liked my JRPGs more than any other genre. I did complete H1 and H2 with a buddy though at our local college when we were younger. They had like a place on campus people could come to play any games for a dollar an hour on their TV and 360, as well as things like Pool and Air hockey, etc.

I think I too would pay 10-15 bucks for a HD remake of H2.

I'd like to say thanks for allowing my brother, Melvin (GT: Obese Kenobi), to join in on customs yesterday.

I hadn't played Halo with him in months. Usually when we play together, magic happens.

Case in point, here's a tiny piece from the CTF game we played on Outcrop.

259lki8.jpg

Melvin and I are sprinting toward the flag ...

2m7iu07.jpg

... when a member of Red Team shows up to play.

25kosv7.jpg

While Melvin eliminates the defender ...

33vj0gk.jpg

... a grenade rockets me off the bridge.

14vr69j.jpg

With no one left to guard him, Melvin grabs the flag and quickly heads for an exit.

fdyo2p.jpg

ncsuDuncan gives chase.

725da9.jpg

Melvin leaps out of the way to avoid Duncan's grenande.

krek4.jpg

And he immediately regrets the decision.

34iffyu.jpg

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Dear Bungie,

I had forgotten how awesome the campaign was in this game. Thanks for erasing my legendary solo campaign progress so I could re-experience it.

Sincerely,

AlienShogun.

Tawpgun

Alienshogun said:
Dear Bungie,

I had forgotten how awesome the campaign was in this game. Thanks for erasing my legendary solo campaign progress so I could re-experience it.

Sincerely,

AlienShogun.

Introducing Campaign Arena!

Every Season your Campaign Progress will be reset, forcing you to play through it to show everyone you are a legendary warrior! Upon Completion you will get an awesome campaign nameplate!

That actually sounds like a good idea...

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
A27 Tawpgun said:

Every Season your Campaign Progress will be reset, forcing you to play through it to show everyone you are a legendary warrior! Upon Completion you will get an awesome campaign nameplate!

That actually IS a good idea for people who only like SP. Needs Score attack added though.

GhaleonEB

"Dad! There's only one guy left on the other team and he keeps spawning in the same spot and I got the sniper rifle and I sniped him three times in a row!"

--my daughter, playing Invasion Slayer earlier today

I nearly messaged the guy to say, "pick a different spot."

A27 Tawpgun said:

I wish Reach had a hybrid of the Daily/Weekly challenges and the Commendations for Campaign.

Basically, a list of things like:
- Complete Winter Contingency SLASO
- Complete Winter Contingency SLASO except Blind
- Complete Winter Contingency Co-op LASO
- Complete Winter Contingency Co-op LASO except Blind
- Complete Winter Contingency with 4 skulls on. (Any difficulty, any 4 skulls, co-op or solo)
- Complete Winter Contingency in less than 1 hour.
- Complete Winter Contingency with no deaths. (Records highest difficulty completed, including # of skulls)

Repeat for every mission. If you complete a challenge more than once you don't get more cR, but it does keep track of how many times you've done it.

So now when you look at someone's service record you don't just see their "Highest Difficulty Completed" you can see exactly what level of completion they've reached.
This list should be persistent, not a Daily or Weekly thing so that you can try them whenever you want. Maybe pick one of these challenges per week to highlight and give double cR for it (if you've beaten it previously you can do it again but you only get the normal cR level and only once.)

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
wwm0nkey said:
Speedpile+hemmorage=amazing!

I KNOW! I've been saying this is awesome! I think Ghaleon liked it too. Not that "pro gaf" would approve.

GhaleonEB said:
"Dad! There's only one guy left on the other team and he keeps spawning in the same spot and I got the sniper rifle and I sniped him three times in a row!"

--my daughter, playing Invasion Slayer earlier today

I nearly messaged the guy to say, "pick a different spot."

Idling?

GhaleonEB

Alienshogun said:
Nah he was playing. He was just dumb.
Hitmonchan107 said:
If anybody would like to play Firefight or matchmaking, I'll be online.
I'll be on in an hour and a half to romp some Limited, or if you want to force something other than Rocketfight and FRGfight on the Arcade folks.

neoism

Dani said:
Why is that?
Maybe its was because it was 2 flag... and the fact that everyone but me camped base.
Still miss getting the sniper... :p as much. Slayer maybe better..

lol never mind just got Highlands in BTB... AWESOME! :O

Hay Achronos :p
Runes for LIFE <3

GhaleonEB said:
Nah he was playing. He was just dumb.

I'll be on in an hour and a half to romp some Limited, or if you want to force something other than Rocketfight and FRGfight on the Arcade folks.
Either one sounds awesome.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Lazslo said:
Anyone up for some Team Classic? I just played Lockout, so good.

Sorry for not accepting the invite. I'm in "Get clips for montage in MLG" mode lol

Crucio

Man I sometimes loathe the "Complete X games today in matchmaking." If it wasn't for that I'd have a perfect week. That one had bad timing for me.

Ramirez said:
Details? I rarely ever do the campaign challenges.
When doing solo campaign you can Save and Quit when you die, and then resume the game to continue your challenge.

The LASO run tips he's referring to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgtbtoEMMbY

Crucio said:
Man I sometimes loathe the "Complete X games today in matchmaking." If it wasn't for that I'd have a perfect week. That one had bad timing for me.

When doing solo campaign you can Save and Quit when you die, and then resume the game to continue your challenge.

The LASO run tips he's referring to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgtbtoEMMbY

Those ones are always steep as hell. 15+ games in a day is a lot.

GhaleonEB

Ramirez said:
Details? I rarely ever do the campaign challenges.
http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=1060218

Notable sections:

Killing the big AA guns from long range with vehicles, and using the beams and rock shelf to skip the big refining site area are the two big time savers.

One tip: after using the Warthog to take out the second AA gun, just wait there. You'll get one checkpoint, and then a minute or so later, a second. The second one will come after the Wraiths are gone.

If/when you die, do a save/quit before the game reverts to the last checkpoint. Then resume. Hit pause, and the Challenge is lit up again, so you can complete it.

Edit: beat on all fronts.

When doing the mission solo now, I always take out the AA guns from long range. I can't believe I never thought to before.

Crucio

GhaleonEB said:
When doing the mission solo now, I always take out the AA guns from long range. I can't believe I never thought to before.
  • The first AA gun is easy to kill off with the R.H. from the cliff side.
  • Second gun is my favorite. I've learned to commandeer a Wraith and simply wreck havok on everything. Highly recommended.
The plasma pistol is becoming my all time most useful campaign weapons.

Lazslo

Tashi0106 said:
Sorry for not accepting the invite. I'm in "Get clips for montage in MLG" mode lol
Oh no worries man- I'm actually almost done for the night anyway. Adult job equals waking up early, it blows. I throw out invites like [err, cant think of funny simile/] crazy so I never get offended if someone doesnt respond- but thanks anyway. Also those Montages are killer man, hope they keep coming.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Lazslo said:
Oh no worries man- I'm actually almost done for the night anyway. Adult job equals waking up early, it blows. I throw out invites like [err, cant think of funny simile/] crazy so I never get offended if someone doesnt respond- but thanks anyway. Also those Montages are killer man, hope they keep coming.

Oh ok.

Thanks man. Yea, I just started editing Week 3's. It's coming along slowly but surely.

Top Bottom