• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
ncsuDuncan said:
So here's a question: Does anyone know why Bungie changed "Killtacular" from 4 kills in Halo 2 to 5 kills in Halo 3+?
I've always wondered that.
My friend is really glad he didn't get a tattoo of the Killtacular medal, it would have sucked when Bungie renamed it to the less exciting Overkill.

I've been complaining about that for years with no response. Good luck getting an answer.

see5harp said:
Wow didn't notice that they started posting specific deals on the rewards page. Just picked up Defiant map pack to get the 400 point rebate. They should really be showing those rewards on the dashboard page. I also realized that all of those one month codes from the Netflix extravaganza are actually netting me 10 MS points a month! Nice!

Where can i see the details for this? I'm not seeing the defiant map pack.

see5harp

The Real Napsta said:
Where can i see the details for this? I'm not seeing the defiant map pack.

I just went to the rewards home page and saw a link stating that if you buy you get 400 points back. It'll probably take a few weeks but I went ahead and bought.

GhaleonEB

I'd said before that I didn't watch guides before the LASO runs, but to heck with this one. My knees bucked at the thought of the ending battle with all the Elites. I'll need all the help I can get.

I'm early into watching the Mythic Guide clips, and am I the only one to have never realized to can hoof it down to where the Wraith lands at the beginning? I had no idea. :lol

I should be down to try a run later this week with the kid. We're going to do the daily Challenge tonight since I'll be working late.

Willeth

GhaleonEB said:
I'd said before that I didn't watch guides before the LASO runs, but to heck with this one. My knees bucked at the thought of the ending battle with all the Elites. I'll need all the help I can get.

I'm early into watching the Mythic Guide clips, and am I the only one to have never realized to can hoof it down to where the Wraith lands at the beginning? I had no idea. :lol

I should be down to try a run later this week with the kid. We're going to do the daily Challenge tonight since I'll be working late.
Yeah, not only that, tuning forks will keep coming forever in the Wraith area with two Grunts, two Jackals and an Elite. You can just kill, collect, repeat.

LunaticPuma said:
Can you please elaborate on why it makes more sense?

Actually, I sort of agree that it makes more sense to go:

Double Kill
Triple Kill
Overkill
Killtacular
Killtrocity
etc.

I just thought Killtacular had a very special feeling attached to it in Halo 2, seeing that orange (bronze?) medal and hearing Steitzer's voice... it just felt wrong in Halo 3 to see it preceded by Overkill and changed to a Silver medal. If it had been this way all along I obviously wouldn't have an issue.

Anyways, it makes more sense now (even if it tarnishes my nostalgia) because the medals you get for killing up to 4 people (a standard Halo team) all end in "kill" and when you go beyond that and start getting 5+ people the medals begin with "kill". The change from suffix to prefix makes more sense for 4->5 than 3->4. At least, that's how I see it.

Edit: beaten.

GhaleonEB said:

I've done that plenty of times just to screw around with the Wraith. Good fun.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
I'd like to thank The Real Napsta and nscuDuncan for illustrating that there is indeed no logical reason for the progression after Triple Kill. It was likely changed due to some developer's whim for no real reason.

Maybe it was Jason Jones' decision.

J/K, Jason Jones doesn't appear to have done any real work since Halo 2.

LunaticPuma said:
I'd like to thank The Real Napsta and nscuDuncan for illustrating that there is indeed no logical reason for the progression after Triple Kill. It was likely changed due to some developer's whim for no real reason.

I'm gonna agree with you here. Honestly, I think overkill would fit the best at the very end. I mean what else is there after overkill?

Deputy Moonman said:
I'm gonna agree with you here. Honestly, I think overkill would fit the best at the very end. I mean what else is there after overkill?
I've always thought Killpocalypse should be the last medal.

Killionaire feels weightless after that hefty medal.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Overkill bugged me out too at first but nothing rings better than, "Overkill, Extermination"

I just like the idea of no matter what the highest kill number might be (killionaire or whatever), anything more is just overkill. I think it makes sense with a touch of humor.
did i mention that I hate this game?

GhaleonEB

While I don't grind them per se, I take opportunities to chip away at various Firefight Commendations that I haven't maxed out yet. Last night I got the Perfectionist (complete a round of Firefight without dying) up to Silver - 500. That took six months, but it paid out 2,000 cR.

Gold? 2,000 rounds. Onyx is 5,000.

I don't think that's going to happen. :lol

I came in to work today lamenting that fact that it's Monday. Quite a busy week lies ahead of me and when I think about it it makes me want to crawl back into bed. But then this arrived and really reminded me to stop being an ungrateful little bitch. Some people have REAL problems. <3 Bungie Foundation.
iWb6B.jpg

While I do think Highlands is a better map with the update, it needs more change.

1. Remove the snipers.
2. Ether remove laser or switch it with the Pro Pipe spawn. So laser spawns in Pelican and Pro Pipe on top.

O D I N

GhaleonEB said:
While I don't grind them per se, I take opportunities to chip away at various Firefight Commendations that I haven't maxed out yet. Last night I got the Perfectionist (complete a round of Firefight without dying) up to Silver - 500. That took six months, but it paid out 2,000 cR.

Not anytime soon, anyway. I don't even think I've got to Bronze yet for that. @___@

I think I got my first Onyx a week or two ago. The multikill commendation in FF. Didn't even know it was coming.

CortanaV

Neo Member
LunaticPuma said:

Probably a "by design, won't fix, don't give a damn" whim from Jones. He's been in recluse ever since Forerunner Tank got canceled. Poor guy.

On a more serious note, the kill progression medals just make me go "huh?" Although I never really gave it much thought before.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Dax01 said:
While I do think Highlands is a better map with the update, it needs more change.

1. Remove the snipers.
2. Ether remove laser or switch it with the Pro Pipe spawn. So laser spawns in Pelican and Pro Pipe on top.

Do you think the Snipers would work better if they weren't placed in the optimal location for long range donging?

CortanaV

Neo Member
Account Attempt #4 said:
I came in to work today lamenting that fact that it's Monday. Quite a busy week lies ahead of me and when I think about it it makes me want to crawl back into bed. But then this arrived and really reminded me to stop being an ungrateful little bitch. Some people have REAL problems. <3 Bungie Foundation.
iWb6B.jpg
I got a few of those. I gave one to a kid I know who just lost his mom. I explained to him what it means. Now whenever he sees me he cheers, "ganbare nippon!"

urk said:
Do you think the Snipers would work better if they weren't placed in the optimal location for long range donging?
I do. I like to grab the Sniper at spawn and snipe people from the rocky edge behind the left mongoose spawn at Red Base or right by the Rappelling Towers at Blue Base.

It's completely unfair to the other, non-sniping players. But I'll continue to do it, because the other team is going to do the same thing to me.

Moving the Snipers away from the initial spawn points would allow people to situate themselves on the map. As it stands now, if you don't teleport to the sides of the map, you're going to get sniped.

I'd like a playlist with zero power weapons, zero armor abilites, zero vehicles, and on regular maps, please. If you can remove bloom, thanks in advance. Power weapons are just killing the game for me. Never have power weapons been so dominating in Halo.

O D I N

Deputy Moonman said:
I'd like a playlist with zero power weapons, zero armor abilites, zero vehicles, and on regular maps, please. If you can remove bloom, thanks in advance. Power weapons are just killing the game for me. Never have power weapons been so dominating in Halo.

Fox only, Final Destination Plasma Pistols only, Blood Gulch.

urk said:

Weapon changes: (Default -> Proposed)
Shotgun -> Sniper
Pro-pipe -> Laser
Laser -> Pro-pipe
Plasma Launcher -> Pro-pipe
Rockets -> Shotgun
Sniper -> Rockets

So the weapon count difference from the default would be one extra Pro Pipe (2 total) and one less Plasma Launcher (none).

Shotgun couldn't immediatley camp teleporter, you'd have to grab it at the base and then move forward into a campable spot. Snipers are either out in a vulnerable forward position or have to hike back to the base.

Edit:
maybe keep Rockets where they are and make it
Sniper -> Shotgun
Starts the rockets at the lower elevation and puts the shotgun halfway between the base teleporter and the left cave/walkway.

neclas

Dax01 said:
To me, it seems that the Pelican is closer to Blue base, giving them an advantage. It doesn't matter right now since most people don't care about the Grenade Launcher.

ElzarTheBam said:
Also spend at least 200 point this month and get a banshee avatar free!

They have had promotions like that before, they even have things like 'Use Sky player to get 100 points' I have taken part in those promotions and used sky player, but havent been rewarded for it. :(

Be wary when using the MS rewards site, theres no garuntee it works lol. To clarify I brought stuff in the marketplace, maybe I should have brought it through the browser?

Deputy Moonman said:

Reasons to move: none.

ncsuDuncan said:
Weapon changes: (Default -> Proposed)
Shotgun -> Sniper
Pro-pipe -> Laser
Laser -> Pro-pipe
Plasma Launcher -> Pro-pipe
Rockets -> Shotgun
Sniper -> Rockets

So the weapon count difference from the default would be one extra Pro Pipe (2 total) and one less Plasma Launcher (none).

Shotgun couldn't immediatley camp teleporter, you'd have to grab it at the base and then move forward into a campable spot. Snipers are either out in a vulnerable forward position or have to hike back to the base.

If you moved the sniper to where the shotguns spawn, that would be an even more advantageous place for them to spawn. All you'd have to do if walk up one staircase and have an overview of 80% of the map.

Steelyuhas said:
Reasons to move: none.

If you moved the sniper to where the shotguns spawn, that would be an even more advantageous place for them to spawn. All you'd have to do if walk up one staircase and have an overview of 80% of the map.
True. But those areas are ripe picking for Sniper/DMR fire.

Off-topic: I get to see Daniel Tosh on Wednesday for the free! I said it's great to be a Florida Gator!

Steelyuhas said:

- You wouldn't immediately get the sniper at spawn, people would be more spread out on the map before you could snipe.
- That position has a two-way teleporter right behind you. Not safe if you're scoped in.
- The two snipers have visibility on each other instead of always sniping from the base, out of the other's view.
- Less cover.

I almost suggested putting the sniper at the Laser/Plasma Launcher spawn, but that makes it too easy to make a quick trip through the teleporter and scoop up the ammo for both. Not as big a deal if it's two grenade launchers.

urk said:
Maybe. I'd bump the ammo down to four bullets just to be safe. I dunno what it is, but I'm having a real problem with the sniper on this map.

ncsuDuncan said:
- You wouldn't immediately get the sniper at spawn, people would be more spread out on the map before you could snipe.
- That position has a two-way teleporter right behind you. Not safe if you're scoped in.
- The two snipers have visibility on each other instead of always sniping from the base, out of the other's view.
- Less cover.

I almost suggested putting the sniper at the Laser/Plasma Launcher spawn, but that makes it too easy to make a quick trip through the teleporter and scoop up the ammo for both. Not as big a deal if it's two grenade launchers.
Those are one-way teleporters.

Hitmonchan107 said:
Those are one-way teleporters.

I thought he meant the staircase leading up to the Laser spawn, not the one that gets you on top of the building. Still, it's easier for an opponent to sneak up behind you on top of that building than all the way back at your base. In addition to the already mentioned DMR fire.

Crucio

I'm still about 25 away from Silver. I don't fret too much, not even the Forerunners and above have Onyx for that.
Perfectionists should have bigger payouts.
GhaleonEB said:

Now that's just awesome, well done.
CortanaV said:
I got a few of those. I gave one to a kid I know who just lost his mom. I explained to him what it means. Now whenever he sees me he cheers, "ganbare nippon!"

Check this trailer for the cartoon "The Govenator", Hilarious: http://geek-news.mtv.com/2011/04/04...-governator-trailer-online/?xrs=share_twitter Pretty sure this is an April fools joke though.

ncsuDuncan said:
I thought he meant the staircase leading up to the Laser spawn, not the one that gets you on top of the building. Still, it's easier for an opponent to sneak up behind you on top of that building than all the way back at your base. In addition to the already mentioned DMR fire.

I did mean that staircase, and on the other side, the one where you can get on top of that building.

When I play Highlands, I take the sniper to those locations. Seems to be the best place to snipe on the map IMO.

Steelyuhas said:
I did mean that staircase, and on the other side, the one where you can get on top of that building.

When I play Highlands, I take the sniper to those locations. Seems to be the best place to snipe on the map IMO.

Not if the other sniper is right across the middle from you. As it stands now, the 2 snipers spawn back at the base and that position has a good enough view and is far enough back that they can just stay there and rack up kills without fear of the other sniper (and little fear of the enemy sneaking alllll the way back to that area).

Moving the sniper spawns forward to the shotgun spawns introduces a little diversity: do you go up the stairs to the good vantage points at midfield and risk being counter-sniped? or do you trek allll the way back to your base?

I think BTB maps work better when the sniper has to constantly worry about the enemy sniper instead of just freely picking off the other poor players.

Edit: I'm very happy with Highlands as it is now, much improved over the launch day version. But there's always room for further improvement. Especially if I'm trying to tweak things closer to my personal playstyle ;)

Louis Wu

GhaleonEB said:

lol - back when you had about 50, I was even with you. (I checked once back then.) I guess I really slowed down on playing Firefight (or you sped up), because I'm at 110 right now. :)

Recarpo

Went into firefight to get a little closer to field marshal and got this wonderful group...
Firefight.jpg

1 quit out right at the start, the forerunner played for about a minute and didn't move after that, and the other played for about a minute then quit out. If anybody actually likes to play through their firefight games, I'd love to join up sometime for a few games.

O D I N

Hitmonchan107 said:
I can't believe I just got this reference! /mygod

I used to play melee competitively before Brawl came out.
Ganondorf player

... Then Brawl came out. D: Played as Snake for a while though, but for those keeping up with my avatar, that'd be little to no surprise. >.>

I'm picking up Halo again this week, and will hopefully get some more games on Highlands. Once I do, I'll offer my two cents. Would love to get some games in with you guys.

GhaleonEB

urk said:
Yes. This has been one of my primary suggestions for all the power weapons. I'd extend that to the other weapons - get the shotguns a long distance from the two-way teleporters, and so on. Place the laser in the Pellican, so it does not start with a wide view of the center of the map (think Avalanche). I was surprised to see all the power weaopns in their position of idea use.

I think that would go a long ways toward balancing the map.
Louis Wu said:
lol - back when you had about 50, I was even with you. (I checked once back then.) I guess I really slowed down on playing Firefight (or you sped up), because I'm at 110 right now. :)
Yup. Remember back when Limited and the new Score Attack stuff rolled out, I said my numbers were about to go crazy. Yeah. That. :)
Recarpo said:
Went into firefight to get a little closer to field marshal and got this wonderful group...
Firefight.jpg

1 quit out right at the start, the forerunner played for about a minute and didn't move after that, and the other played for about a minute then quit out. If anybody actually likes to play through their firefight games, I'd love to join up sometime for a few games.
I'd say about 75% of all my Limited games play out this way.

GhaleonEB said:
Yes. This has been one of my primary suggestions for all the power weapons. I'd extend that to the other weapons - get the shotguns a long distance from the two-way teleporters, and so on. Place the laser in the Pellican, so it does not start with a wide view of the center of the map (think Avalanche). I was surprised to see all the power weaopns in their position of idea use.

I think that would go a long ways toward balancing the map.

Exactly. In my opinion, power weapons are generally too easy to find and use in Reach. All reward, no risk.

Put the power weapons in sub-optimal locations for their use. You have to drop one of your all-purpose weapons to pick it up, then move to the location that lets you best take advantage of it. I'd highlight the Rocket Launcher spawn on Powerhouse as a good example if not for the fact that jetpacks cancel that risk.

Map control isn't just being the first to make it to the power weapon spawns, it's grabbing the right weapons and carrying them to the best location for them.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Dax01 said:
Maybe. I'd bump the ammo down to four bullets just to be safe. I dunno what it is, but I'm having a real problem with the sniper on this map.

Oh come on. There's nothing worse than picking up a sniper with 4 bullets in it. Who the fuck wants that? Look, I haven't played Highlands in a little while but that map offers so many routes and means of getting around the map. I hardly ever found myself out in the open where snipers can pick me off. And if they did, props to them. They have a sniper? Well we have a sniper too. I just cringe when I pick up a sniper with clips removed.

Tashi0106 said:
Oh come on. There's nothing worse than picking up a sniper with 4 bullets in it. Who the fuck wants that? Look, I haven't played Highlands in a little while but that map offers so many routes and means of getting around the map. I hardly ever found myself out in the open where snipers can pick me off. And if they did, props to them. They have a sniper? Well we have a sniper too. I just cringe when I pick up a sniper with clips removed.

Agreed, if anything the change should be more in line with just having 1 Sniper on the map but putting it in the middle of the map in that island. That would promote a lot more movement, as it stands that island isnt worth going near.

GhaleonEB

Tashi0106 said:
I realize this may come off as self-contraditory, but I agree. If a sniper is going to be on a map, the floor for ammo should be eight rounds. I don't see the value in half-measures such as only four shots in it; better to balance it by placement (not on the sniper tower).

Tashi0106 said:
Nothing more frustrating than getting killed from all the way on the other side of the map at your base. I'm for whatever lessens (or removes) scenarios like this.

bobs99 ... said:
Agreed, if anything the change should be more in line with just having 1 Sniper on the map but putting it in the middle of the map in that island. That would promote a lot more movement, as it stands that island isnt worth going near.
I absolutely agree on keeping the sniper ammo count the same, but having only one sniper on the map is crazy.

The sniper is meant to be anti-infantry. Both bases need one in order to keep things fair.

Top Bottom