• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Lazslo

Hitmonchan107 said:
Just started my new job tonight. I have so much downtime between articles.

Starting Wednesday, I'm bringing my 360 to work. Does anyone know if I can use an HDMI-to-DirectPort converter to hook my 360 up to an Apple G5?
Congrats- Where's the new gig at?

Havok

The Antitype said:
I don't think anybody is going to be letting guys kill them just to scoop the revenge medal. They'll just put more hours into playing and accumulate the medals that way.
You're drastically overestimating the sanity of the average player. Look at what Multi-Team became after a while: people ignoring everything to get assist challenges on those days.

Lazslo said:
Congrats- Where's the new gig at?
I'm the online managing editor at The Independent Florida Alligator, the largest student-run newspaper in the nation.

It's pretty sweet. We're no longer associated with the University of Florida (hence 'Independent'), but all of the journalism professors at the college prefer our paper to The Gainesville Sun, which is owned by The New York Times Regional Media Group.

I was a copy editor, then I became the blogs editor (I know far too much about fashion for my own good now), and now I'm here (second highest position at the paper). There's nothing like seeing your name near the top of the masthead.

TL;DR Student newspaper. In the words of the wise Dr. Dre, I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries.

Team Doubles, Sirs. After you die, you have at least a 50% chance of getting a revenge. And it's not hard to find your man. Low-hanging fruit: get matched against poor players and let them kill you. Try to get 24 in one game!

Dax01 said:
I want a 1v1 Firefight game.
1MZcm.jpg

I love my gamer tag.

Ramirez

Dax01 said:
Did you watch "A True GAF Game"? It's a twenty-minute video of a custom game in Halo 3, and what I like to call the best GAF game ever (or that I played).

Click here for the video.

I kept waiting for something to happen, but that's 20 minutes of my life I'll never get back (40 I guess since I actually participated in that).

Everyone knows the best GAF customs were the ones where Nutter was on your team and you got that sweet sweet host.

Anyways, I miss vehicles that don't suck, good gunplay, melee that makes sense, and no health packs. :( Don't tell me to pop in Halo 3 either, the game has an atrocious netcode.

Ramirez

Striker said:
It also has atrocious maps and no hitscan.

Maps are better than Reach, and bloom nullifies hitscan in pretty much every encounter. I just want a Halo 2 BR with hitscan and remakes of every good map across the franchise, call it Halo 2011 (MP Only), ship it. :p

Ramirez

Detox said:
Even if they go with recoil or anything it shouldn't be reduced by crouching.

I like how a game about shooting aliens and super soldiers tries to be more realistic than a modern warfare game, heh.

The revenge medal graph is neat.

I have a 1.8 kdr and i get 1.34 revenge medals a game. Is that good or bad revenge medal wise?

EDIT: I finally gave the new BTB a try today. Trident is amazing.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...o-a-defiant-look-at-the-franchises-future.ars

But 343’s O’Connor suggests that, if you really want to glimpse the future of Halo gameplay, you look at “Unearthed.” Rather than a traditional multiplayer battlefield, Unearthed is part of the game’s Firefight mode, which pits a team of players against a brief, computer-controlled alien invasion. This segment of Defiant offers some clues as to how 343 might tackle a single-player Halo.

???

Ramirez

I don't get the Trident love, it's huge, not much cover, and has a ton of space that never gets used. Is it good compared to most forge maps? Sure, but that's not saying much.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Tunavi said:
Snowbound, Uncaged, Isolation, Paradiso, and Foundry. Believe.

Those were the only bad maps you could think of?

How about...Midship, Lockout, Warlock, Beaver Creek, the Pit, Narrows, Construct. Now THOSE are bad maps

Ramirez said:
Maps are better than Reach, and bloom nullifies hitscan in pretty much every encounter. I just want a Halo 2 BR with hitscan and remakes of every good map across the franchise, call it Halo 2011 (MP Only), ship it. :p

Agreed.

Halo 2 had the best BTB maps, but Halo 3 had the best mid-sized maps, IMO.

Reach had the worst maps out of the box (not including the Invasion maps, which are designed with a specific mode in mind and work well for it), but the map packs have helped boost average map quality A TON, IMO.

Lazslo

Hitmonchan107 said:
I'm the online managing editor at The Independent Florida Alligator, the largest student-run newspaper in the nation....
Congrats Bro. Your making moves son; First with joining HBizzO and then this, well done. Good Luck man, I'll keep an eye out for that paper...

Tashi0106 said:
Those were the only bad maps you could think of?

How about...Midship, Lockout, Warlock, Beaver Creek, the Pit, Narrows, Construct. Now THOSE are bad maps

I'm so sick of lockout, don't get me wrong its a good map, but how about a nice new classic, or maybe a map that has never been remade before.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Domino Theory said:

He's basically saying that Firefight is like a snack from the Campaign feast. Unearthed is a pretty sweet FF and does what it does very well, better than most of the other FF maps.

The quality of Unearthed and the work put into it can be viewed as an indicator of how they will treat future Halo games.

“It’s [single-player] campaign gameplay in a way, captured as these little digestible chunks,” said O’Connor. “You’re definitely seeing how 343 and Certain Affinity treat the AI and scripting in campaign mode…. Gameplay that’s emergent in a multiplayer space is different than gameplay in a sandbox with AI.”

Ramirez

A27_StarWolf said:
I'm so sick of lockout, don't get me wrong its a good map, but how about a nice new classic, or maybe a map that has never been remade before.

But we've never got a Lockout remake?

The Antitype said:
Agreed.

Halo 2 had the best BTB maps, but Halo 2 had the best mid-sized maps, IMO.

fixed ;)

I do agree that Reach's DLC improved the map base significantly, unfortunately you can't rely on them coming up in matchmaking though, which dampens the map situation some.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Cryptum Forerunner DLC

Science-Fiction-Legend-Greg-Bear-Set-to-Explore-the-Time-of-the-Forerunners_large.png

Frankie said:
So there's things that happen in the Greg Bear novel that will actually make sense in DLC maps, if you play close enough attention

Link

This is as good a confirmation as we have got for future Reach DLC, but I'm surprised that it's gone largely ignored.

So, maps either based on locations from the first Forerunner novel or maps which include direct references to actions, persons or events in the novel.

One thing that's important to note, Defiant left us with a very distinct message for fans and that message is that the extended fiction is no longer off-limits when it comes to main game itself. Whilst Unearthed largely does its own thing, Highlands and Condemned both feature a rich colour of extended fiction paint. Most players will either not know or even care about where the maps came from but bookworms get that extra special nod.

I'm pretty confident that we'll see this trend continue due to the above quote and I'm pretty happy about it.

So what do you think we'll get? Remakes are possible. Invasion and Firefight maps are also possible. I would like to see a shift in focus to smaller, Arena style maps as Reach has a distinct lack of them so far.

Without spoiling the books, any particular locations you'd like to see or any particular remakes?

Two locations in particular I think would be sweet but there's no chance in hell we'll ever see would be:

EDOM - a volcanically active desert world home to the Forerunner miners. I would image the crust of the planet to be crisscrossed with scores of winding tunnels filled with powerful Forerunner machines processing the rock and soil.

CHARUM HAKKOR - an ancient Hub world which predates the Forerunners by millions of years. So many awesome things about this planet that would spoil the novel several times over by describing.

So much potential for future Halo play spaces.

Lazslo said:
Congrats Bro. Your making moves son; First with joining HBizzO and then this, well done. Good Luck man, I'll keep an eye out for that paper...
Hahaha, thanks man. I'm spinning a lot of plates right now.

I'm still waiting on the call from Frankie. Not for a job offer -- I just want to hear these words.

Top Bottom