• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Trident might be one of my favorite maps in all of Reach (not counting Invasion maps, which are set up entirely differently). So good.

Abridged is all right for people who love vehicular chaos, but honestly those damn Hornets can dominate a map pretty easily.

Does the RL in Reach have a lock-on? I see that little diamond appear when I hover over a vehicle target, but it doesn't seem to actually follow after I fire.

Ah well, I'm more of a Spartan Laser fan anyway. :D

Striker

Get the Plasma Launcher in Abridged, the Falcons are pretty easily taken out that way. There's also a Rocket Launcher which has lock-on for air vehicles only, on the side section part of each base.

Spartan Laser kills any vehicle combat and fun. Renegade sucks because of it.

vhfive

Steelyuhas said:
Just played a 15 minute Invasion game and a 12 minute Invasion game. 1 Revenge between both games. This weekly is hard.
lolz I've only played 5 games (3 swat and 2 classic) today and already have 12

Played a lot of BTB last night. Didn't see headhunter pop up and only one occurrence of stockpile IIRC, improved. Bomb games are weighed too heavily though, in one voting cycle it popped up in 4 slots.

Abridged is so fucking poorly designed for flag games, and probably bomb if the cap spot is in the same location. To get a sense of how big the map is, here's some death locations which probably span most of the map.

2v1p69y.jpg

As you can see the map is actually longer than Blood Gulch. There's nothing inherently wrong with that but notice how the deaths funnel down to a tip at each end of the map, that's because the map funnels to a narrow point at each end. The great part is that this narrow point is where the bases are situated and where the flag respawns. Where must the defenders spawn then? Right on top of the flag or between the flag and the offense's exit route. A quick fix in my mind would be a one-way teleporter from the back of each base to each team's respective bat cave. As it stands though, sucks ass.

GhaleonEB

I suspect the game of Abridged I had the other night has scrolled off my temp history due to the number of games I've played since then. I'll try to get a game on it tonight, but if anyone has a game of CTF from matchmaking on it, please park the film in file share. From how the map is laid out, that issue makes sense; I'll also look at the map and spawns in Forge. I'd like to take a look to see the issue Eazy's describing so I can bring it to the Cartographer's forum.

vhfive

The Antitype said:
Trident might be one of my favorite maps in all of Reach (not counting Invasion maps, which are set up entirely differently). So good.

Abridged is all right for people who love vehicular chaos, but honestly those damn Hornets can dominate a map pretty easily.

Does the RL in Reach have a lock-on? I see that little diamond appear when I hover over a vehicle target, but it doesn't seem to actually follow after I fire.

Ah well, I'm more of a Spartan Laser fan anyway. :D
If the other team is smart at all then the falcon is useless. Each side spawns with a plasma launcher and rockets (which DO lock-on to flying vehicles) and that's not even counting the rocket hog which shoot 6 rockets that can all lock on as well.

As for abridged it's not terrible but it's not good either (will pick every time over hemo though). I would like to see a more fleshed out structure in the middle. Everyone just takes the man cannon to the sword bridge and tries to take control of the sword room where you can camp nicely. I don't think I ever see anyone on the other side of the bridge.

Haha, a revenge challenge? Revenges per game scales directly with bad at Haloness, it'd take me 84 games to complete it unless I was dying on purpose.

GhaleonEB said:
I suspect the game of Abridged I had the other night has scrolled off my temp history due to the number of games I've played since then. I'll try to get a game on it tonight, but if anyone has a game of CTF from matchmaking on it, please park the film in file share. From how the map is laid out, that issue makes sense; I'll also look at the map and spawns in Forge. I'd like to take a look to see the issue Eazy's describing so I can bring it to the Cartographer's forum.
I should've said that Dani was in the game and mentioned he'd save the film. I actually like what I saw of the map and, as long as spawn trapping isn't an issue, think it'd be good for slayer. Like I said though, a teleporter at each base would help give players somewhere better to retreat than through the enemy respawn area.

Striker said:
Get the Plasma Launcher in Abridged, the Falcons are pretty easily taken out that way. There's also a Rocket Launcher which has lock-on for air vehicles only, on the side section part of each base.

Spartan Laser kills any vehicle combat and fun. Renegade sucks because of it.

You think so? I've had a ton of fun in all the games of Renegade I've played. Spartan Laser was being used, but vehicles were running around too.

What separates the Plasma Launcher from the Spartan Laser in your mind? Both have a charge-up time, both are basically an instant-kill, and the Spartan Laser actually lets the target know when they're being targeted...

I'll try using the RL against the Falcons again, I was missing plenty of shots with it earlier though. I just resigned myself to picking off the gunners with DMR fire and leaving the Falcons neutered. :D

The Antitype said:
What separates the Plasma Launcher from the Spartan Laser in your mind? Both have a charge-up time, both are basically an instant-kill, and the Spartan Laser actually lets the target know when they're being targeted...
:/

The Antitype said:

The Plasma Launcher projectiles are slow and can be dodged, Spartan Laser is instant.

And as far as the SL letting targets know... I don't think so. The idea is there, with the targeting laser, but 99% of the time when I'm killed by a Laser the vehicle I am in exploded without warning.

Striker

The Antitype said:
You think so? I've had a ton of fun in all the games of Renegade I've played. Spartan Laser was being used, but vehicles were running around too.

I'll try using the RL against the Falcons again, I was missing plenty of shots with it earlier though. I just resigned myself to picking off the gunners with DMR fire and leaving the Falcons neutered. :D
The laser does nothing to let the enemy know they're being targeted outside a very thin red line, sometimes of which you cannot see if you're angling in a different direction. Not like Halo 2's Rockets which beeped, or even the Halo 3 Missile Pod. The laser is a just a weapon that doesn't belong in MP, like the Drop Shield.

Let the Rockets target on the Falcon before shooting. If not it'll just go in a straight line. The Plasma Launcher is a better tool to eliminate a Falcon because the slower projectiles can be easier to lead.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Lake Minnetonka said:
A quick fix in my mind would be a one-way teleporter from the back of each base to each team's respective bat cave.
That's not the bat cave.

Louis Wu

Lake Minnetonka said:
Haha, a revenge challenge? Revenges per game scales directly with bad at Haloness, it'd take me 84 games to complete it unless I was dying on purpose.
This makes no sense.

If you actually TRY and get 'Revenge' medals, you can potentially have as many of them as you have deaths (getting closer to that number the better you are). Even the BEST players I've seen die several times per game. (Looking at your stats, you average about 7 deaths/game.)

If you were so good that you could PICK your kills (not dying until you found the guy you wanted to kill), you'd earn 7 Revenge medals per game. As it stands, you're earning a bit less than one per game.

How do you get that Revenges per game scales with badness?

GhaleonEB

Spartan Laser kills vehicles instantly from across the map. Plasma Launcher has less range and a very slow projectile travel time. I'll take the Plasma Launcher on a map over the laser any day.

bobs99 ... said:
The people with more Revenge medals will also be dieing more. If your really good at staying alive then your probably not going to get as many revenge medals as the guy who kills a lot but also dies a lot.

Even good players die dont get me wrong, but it just seems counter productive to have a 'challenge' that indirectly rewards dieing a lot lol. How is mr 25 perfection Plywood ever supposed to get a single revenge medal if he doesnt ever die? :p
Just imagine if it was Avenge rather than Revenge. Everone would be sitting back letting their team mates die so they could scoop up the kill and notch one.

"I didn't save you, but I avenged ya. Sucks for thee, great for me."

Louis Wu said:
This makes no sense.

If you actually TRY and get 'Revenge' medals, you can potentially have as many of them as you have deaths (getting closer to that number the better you are). Even the BEST players I've seen die several times per game. (Looking at your stats, you average about 7 deaths/game.)

If you were so good that you could PICK your kills (not dying until you found the guy you wanted to kill), you'd earn 7 Revenge medals per game. As it stands, you're earning a bit less than one per game.

The people with more Revenge medals will also be dieing more. If your really good at staying alive then your probably not going to get as many revenge medals as the guy who kills a lot but also dies a lot.

Even good players die dont get me wrong, but it just seems counter productive to have a 'challenge' that indirectly rewards dieing a lot lol. How is mr 25 perfection Plywood ever supposed to get a single revenge medal if he doesnt ever die? :p

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Lake Minnetonka said:
I should've said that Dani was in the game and mentioned he'd save the film. I actually like what I saw of the map and, as long as spawn trapping isn't an issue, think it'd be good for slayer. Like I said though, a teleporter at each base would help give players somewhere better to retreat than through the enemy respawn area.

I saved the film. The spawns on that map, particularly at the base were very suspect during the objective games.

When I seen for myself a wave of five or six guys all spawn in the same small area at their base at the same time, I knew it needed some attention.

I'll review the film and look at the map in Forge to see if there's anything immediately obvious that could be changed to improve things.

Lazslo

Ramirez said:
Are any of you guys picking up Brink on Tuesday?
I'm looking forward to picking it up tomorrow and using that new movement system. Hopefully it fills my Borderlands void- the art looks similar I guess.

Louis Wu said:
Science!

Here's a quick analysis of my friend's list:
2l9le1k.jpg

Here's the explanation. If you're really bad, you'll get killed a lot and have a lot of potential revenge opportunities, thing is you're so bad that you'll rarely ever kill them. When you're mediocre at Halo you'll die plenty of times but you know how to melee lunge, throw grenades, and AR your way to a few revenge medals. When you're good enough or more accurately, the people you play are oftentimes bad enough, you'll struggle to find the one or two people lucky enough to grenade or camp-shotgun you. You'll wade through their teammates searching for the guy who's camping around some corner with a shotgun but chances are you'll end the game in the process finding them.

Lake Minnetonka said:
Science!

2l9le1k.jpg

Here's the explanation. If you're really bad, you'll get killed a lot and have a lot of potential revenge opportunities, thing is you're so bad that you'll rarely ever kill them. When you're mediocre at Halo you'll die plenty of times but you know how to melee lunge, throw grenades, and AR your way to a few revenge medals. When you're good enough or more accurately, the people you play are oftentimes bad enough, you'll struggle to find the one or two people lucky enough to grenade or camp-shotgun you. You'll wade through their teammates searching for the guy who's camping around some corner with a shotgun but chances are you'll end the game in the process finding them.

Good analysis, For some reason I read it in the Portal Gladios voice lol, I have to say that I thought the curve would be at its peak a little earlier but your logic makes sense.

I'm actually like dead on that line.

Going to take me about 50 games probably to hit that weekly, but at least its a weekly and not a glorified daily.

Louis Wu

Lake Minnetonka said:
Science!

2l9le1k.jpg

I'll agree with Ghal that that's a decent analysis - but your graph doesn't support your hypothesis (that revenge medals scale with badness). Looks like there's a sweet spot, for folks with a K/D a bit above 1.2... below or above that, you get fewer revenges/game.

Since 1.0 is pretty damn close to average, your graph shows that better players get MORE revenges (to a point). In fact, you have to get above a 1.7 K/D (which is certainly on the high end) before you get fewer revenges than average players. And lousy players? They're at the bottom of the revenge pile.

Dani said:
Ten Revenge medals in just one single game of Grifball.

Hah. Could easily get the weekly done today if I can put up with this.

The weekly isnt worth enough to play stuff you dont enjoy just to get it. You could probably get a good amount of revenge medals playing normally then just grind out the rest towards the end of the week. I personally dont think 7777 credits is enough to get me to grind it though.

bobs99 ... said:
Good analysis, For some reason I read it in the Portal Gladios voice lol, I have to say that I thought the curve would be at its peak a little earlier but your logic makes sense.

I can't see or hear the word science anymore without thinking of it in Glados' voice.

Louis Wu said:
I'll agree with Ghal that that's a decent analysis - but your graph doesn't support your hypothesis (that revenge medals scale with badness). Looks like there's a sweet spot, for folks with a K/D a bit above 1.2... below or above that, you get fewer revenges/game.

Since 1.0 is pretty damn close to average, your graph shows that better players get MORE revenges (to a point). In fact, you have to get above a 1.7 K/D (which is certainly on the high end) before you get fewer revenges than average players. And lousy players? They're at the bottom of the revenge pile.
I should have prefaced that statement with the fact that I don't really consider people with below K/Ds of 1 to be Halo players; more likely CoD players who've stumbled into the wrong game. If one considers themselves a Halo player and has a sub-1:1 ratio they're not worth the air they breath or they're just old. I'm not sure if you've encountered an average Halo before but they really are the scum of the universe, some of the most brain-dead idiots you could possibly come across. I was only really looking at the 1.2 and above range with my statement. Unless you're predominantly playing Arena, MLG, or Classic you gotta have at least 1.5 to have my respect.

Lake Minnetonka said:
Science!

2l9le1k.jpg

Good analysis.

I take issue with the idea that my 1.4 K/D implies I only know how to melee, AR and grenade spam though. :p

Sometimes it has as much to do with personality as anything. I can aim and DMR battle with the best of them, but I sometimes put myself in bad situations and get picked off post fight from medium range, hahaha.

Still, nice chart.

Louis Wu

Lake Minnetonka said:
I should have prefaced that statement with the fact that I don't really consider people with below K/Ds of 1 to be Halo players; more likely CoD players who've stumbled into the wrong game. If one considers themselves a Halo player and has a sub-1:1 ratio they're not worth the air they breath or they're just old. I'm not sure if you've encountered an average Halo before but they really are the scum of the universe, some of the most brain-dead idiots you could possibly come across. I was only really looking at the 1.2 and above range with my statement. Unless you're predominantly playing Arena, MLG, or Classic you gotta have at least 1.5 to have my respect.

I've not only encountered average Halo players before - I AM an average Halo player. (A bit over 1.0 K/D in Reach) And if that's not bad enough, my K/D was 0.88 in Halo 3! (I'm not a CoD player, I'm pretty sure I'm not the scum of the universe, and I'm definitely not brain-dead - though I may be a little old, depending on your measurement scale.)

Anyway, thanks for the clarification. Makes it pretty clear, after all; my opinion is meaningless because I don't actually count as a Halo player to you. :)

Lazslo said:
I'm looking forward to picking it up tomorrow and using that new movement system. Hopefully it fills my Borderlands void- the art looks similar I guess.

I'm definitely picking it up tomorrow. Between Splash Damage's penchant for AWESOME objective multiplayer modes, the cool looking movement system, and the unlockables and character customizations, I'm pretty sure I'll be in heaven.

Also looking forward to the new Tribes: Ascent

kfWKC.jpg

Louis Wu said:
I've not only encountered average Halo players before - I AM an average Halo player. (A bit over 1.0 K/D in Reach) And if that's not bad enough, my K/D was 0.88 in Halo 3! (I'm not a CoD player, I'm pretty sure I'm not the scum of the universe, and I'm definitely not brain-dead - though I may be a little old, depending on your measurement scale.)

Anyway, thanks for the clarification. Makes it pretty clear, after all; my opinion is meaningless because I don't actually count as a Halo player to you. :)
No, you're just old. In videogame years you're about 97. A person your age should be proud of that K/D.

Plywood said:
A thousand times this, horrible weekly.

I think you're overestimating the amount of effort that people put into these.

I don't think anybody is going to be letting guys kill them just to scoop the revenge medal. They'll just put more hours into playing and accumulate the medals that way.

Crucio

So this weekly is not as hard as I thought it would be. One reason: Grifball.

I just pick someone, get killed, then I pick him up from the crowd, get Revenge!

Games like this brought good numbers.

Lazslo

Dax01 said:
Reminds me of Halo.
lulz same here- At first glimpse, I actually thought the Tribes photo was a leaked picture of a some new Halo game in development. Seriously if someone made a thread and watermarked it with Tom Morrello it would convince some bros it was real.

Just started my new job tonight. I have so much downtime between articles.

Starting Wednesday, I'm bringing my 360 to work. Does anyone know if I can use an HDMI-to-Thunderbolt converter to hook my 360 up to an Apple iMac?

Top Bottom