• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Lazslo said:
You never had a fun game of headhunter or stockpile? It's a video game bro your taking it to seriously. You shoot people and pick up skulls- how's that not fun? To each his own I guess. I Hate Swat but I'v had fun while playing it...
I've had plenty of fun games of headhunter and stockpile, but I'm usually just trying to get as many kills as possible while ignoring the actual objective of the games lol. I think that it makes more sense for those type of games to be in an action sack type playlist (someone mentioned the same thing earlier). You can definitely have fun playing them if you're in the mood for simply screwing around and not for taking anything too serious. But they're not good for the competitive side.

Trasher

Ramirez said:
3 for me, 3 for my wife. :p

edit: lol kyle, I don't buy gifts for try hards.
Me not going on this trip has just been completely justified. Ram's gonna have dat choker chain on his balls! Zero fun!

Tunavi

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Had a couple of very good games in FF Limited. Strangely enough, the first was when a very annoying kid was notified he was going to be muted by everyone else in the party for being annoying. His response was to suicide to drain all of the lives....

now thats hardcore Versus Firefight.

Sounds like it was epic
Dax01 said:
Why was he committing suicide?
Sounds like he was just a griefer wasting their pool of lives

GhaleonEB said:
Had a couple of very good games in FF Limited. Strangely enough, the first was when a very annoying kid was notified he was going to be muted by everyone else in the party for being annoying. His response was to suicide to drain all of the lives.

We took that as a challenge, and decided collectively not to die. We kept going, and at the start of each Round, the dude would suicide away to take the rest of the lives. I imagine he got kind of pissed after a while, because late in Round 3 he snagged a Ghost that was laying around and tried to go on splatter runs to kill us. I overcharged and then stuck his Ghost, bursting him out of it as from a peanut shell. One guy on our team had un-muted him to listen to his rage, and I could hear the screaming from through his mic. It nourished me.

W made it to the boss round of the final Round. We would have finished up had I not spent forever and a day on an epic freaking Last Man Standing run. At the beginning of the Elite/Hunter/Grunt wave in Round 3 we get the drop pod of Concussion Rifle-toting Brutes, which kill everyone (who hasn't suicided).

Probably my highlight of the week, if not year. It helped that I had two spotters.

We party up and play again, and get matched with the same shithead on Unearthed for a second time in a row. This time he merely idles, but I hang out near the spawn room and prevent him from dying, and we finish the entire Set.

It was an odd experience, with one player from either end of the spectrum - one very good player, and one complete jerk. But I felt like we beat him, and had two great games to boot. Landing the 3,000 cR jackpot at the end of the second game was icing on the cake.
Why was he committing suicide?

vhfive

Ramirez said:
Are any of you guys picking up Brink on Tuesday?
I think I am. I'm kinda broke but I haven't bought a non-xbla game since Blops so fuck it.
I have both you and kylej on my friends list so we should definitely get some games in.

lazybones18 said:
New weekly challenge is up: Get 77 Revenge kills for 7777cR

Is it just me, or is this week's challenge one of the easier ones?
I get around 1.3 Revenge kills a game. So according to math it should take me about 59 games to get it

Crucio

vhfive said:
I get around 1.3 Revenge kills a game. So according to math it should take me about 59 games to get it
Maybe its an easy one but its going to take the at least half the week to get it. I only get about 1.02 per game. Well, good challenge!

vhfive said:
I think I am. I'm kinda broke but I haven't bought a non-xbla game since Blops so fuck it.
I have both you and kylej on my friends list so we should definitely get some games in.

I cant judge Brink without a demo, it looks awesome in some videos and crap in others lol.

As for the weekly im not sure im a fan of it, simply because it kinda involves getting killed. Its going to be easier to get it if your not trying to do well type thing.

Hitmonchan107 said:
I'm so effing bored at work.

Entertain me, please.

Er, me and my best friend had a marathon splitscreen Reach session the other night and these two clips stood out

This is one of the dirtiest overkills i've pulled off in Reach

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=17500896&player=The Henery

This was my friends similarly filthy clip (armorlock robs him of a killtac)

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=17469937&player=The Henery

Hope they help!

thee henery said:
Er, me and my best friend had a marathon splitscreen Reach session the other night and these two clips stood out

This is one of the dirtiest overkills i've pulled off in Reach

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=17500896&player=The Henery

Take notes, Tashi! :^)

thee henery said:
This was my friends similarly filthy clip (armorlock robs him of a killtac)

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=17469937&player=The Henery

Dear sweet Jesus, that would've made me rage quit.

thee henery said:
Hope they help!

Absolutely! Today should be "Show Hitmonchan Your Clips" day. Neither of my bosses are at work today, so I'm just trying to grind it out for six and a half hours.

vhfive said:

Awesome! That first clip was classic.

Dax01 said:
Did you watch "A True GAF Game"? It's a twenty-minute video of a custom game in Halo 3, and what I like to call the best GAF game ever (or that I played).

Click here for the video.

Oh my. Time to dive in.

Edit: This is why I want to have Halo 3 customs! I missed out on all of the fun.

Double Edit: Wait, when did this game happen? I just noticed the upload date.

Tripledit: No freaking way! That game should've been over several times at the end. That was fantastic.

Louis Wu

lazybones18 said:
New weekly challenge is up: Get 77 Revenge kills for 7777cR

Is it just me, or is this week's challenge one of the easier ones?

According to B.net, I average one and a quarter Revenge medals per game, so I'm going to need to play 61 games this week (average of 9/day) to get that one.

That's more than I've been playing in recent weeks. :(

kylej

Banned
Ramirez said:
Nice Kyle, I'd like to get in on that if there's room.

Yeah there will definitely be room. Should be a good time.

vhfive said:

The thrill of crapping on kids in an all new setting. Warms the heart.

neclas

Louis Wu said:
According to B.net, I average one and a quarter Revenge medals per game, so I'm going to need to play 61 games this week (average of 9/day) to get that one.
Just die more.

Hitmonchan107 said:
Edit: This is why I want to have Halo 3 customs! I missed out on all of the fun.

Double Edit: Wait, when did this game happen? I just noticed the upload date.

Tripledit: No freaking way! That game should've been over several times at the end. That was fantastic.
It was before Reach came out but I remembered I never uploaded it, so I did so a couple months back.

Louis Wu said:

That's more than I've been playing in recent weeks. :(

Grifball.
Short games, and you can easily get more than one Revenge.

I swear, half the population in that playlist is just there to cheese commendations and challenges. (The other half consists of friendly people that actually set up Grifball tournaments and such, but sometimes take it a bit too seriously.)

I can only handle a game or two before I have to go back to a normal playlist. Same thing with Action Sack.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
vhfive said:
Well since Dax is posting Halo 3 clips
Hi David Ellis

Don't make me post that first match we ever played on Orbital.

If I remember correctly I opened and closed that match with overkills.

EDIT: And here it is. And it was actually an overkill and a triple kill. Close enough. :)

vhfive

lybertyboy said:

EDIT: And here it is. And it was actually an overkill and a triple kill. Close enough. :)
lolz how do you even find that

I still went positive while my brother went -13 -_-

lybertyboy said:

lol KlausDaimler?

Finished Halo 3 on Heroic again and I enjoyed every minute with it. First I thought Cortana would be hard. But the most difficult level was Tsavo Highway, because of the last vehicle fight in that level. Damn. 2 Wraiths, 4-6 choppers.. Argh I'm missing the chopper in Reach.

blamite said:
Maybe you want to watch my lame Halo 3 montage? >_>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oLlN6C5zts

Sorry, I couldn't take your H3 montage seriously because it didn't sound like this.

lol Just kidding. Some nice clips in there. Thanks!

vhfive said:

I love how David comes to defend his honor.

The clutch flag win was insane. Was that broken map in matchmaking?

Edit: Oh hai, Joystiq.

GhaleonEB

I've got a couple hours worth of rendered clips, largely but not entirely from Firefight, should someone still be bored at work.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/RenderedVideos.aspx?player=GhaleonEB

Bunch of stuff in there for a certain article I'm (still) working on as well.

In the new BTB, I'm starting to like Abridged, and I strongly dislike Trident. The sniper is far too dominating; I managed to scoop it up and get six kills, defending our carriers as we got two flag caps. That's a red flag in my book.

The playlist is better, though. It's been nearly all Assault and CTF, which is wonderful.

vhfive

Hitmonchan107 said:
The clutch flag win was insane. Was that broken map in matchmaking?
lol no that's a map I made (so I knew the sneaky way in) and we played on it quite a bit in the Halo 3 days.

Also we can't bring up montages without the HaloGAF one (and here is part 2)

EDIT:
Account Attempt #4 said:
Fixed for my own sentiments. <3 Security helmet.
me too bro
I miss the gameplay of 3 more though :p

blamite

GhaleonEB said:
In the new BTB, I'm starting to like Abridged, and I strongly dislike Trident. The sniper is far too dominating; I managed to scoop it up and get six kills, defending our carriers as we got two flag caps. That's a red flag in my book.

The playlist is better, though. It's been nearly all Assault and CTF, which is wonderful.
Heh, I feel exactly the opposite way. I've only played Objective games on Trident, but I feel like it has enough routes and pieces of cover to make it really interesting to get around in, on foot and in the Warthog, while I thought Abridged was way too open, and made some positions on the top middle structure a little too overpowered. It is a great map for the Falcon, though.I think I need to give them both some more time in different gametypes though.

Wayont I'm more inbetween on. There are certain parts of it that are really well done, but I think it's a little too big, with some of the open areas having very little cover. I'm not completely sure yet how I like a lot of these new maps.

The new BTB is definitely much much better than what that playlist used to be. I hope this same kind of overhaul is planned for the rest of the playlists. Objective and Invasion in particular could use some change.

Tunavi

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
In the new BTB, I'm starting to like Abridged

Abridged is a great map. I love picking up the plasma launcher for an easy first strike-triple kill on the enemy falcon
I really don't like the instant bomb mechanic for assault though. It feels more like capture the flag rather than assault

Dax01 said:
Did you watch "A True GAF Game"? It's a twenty-minute video of a custom game in Halo 3, and what I like to call the best GAF game ever (or that I played).

Click here for the video.

No way Dax, the best HaloGaf custom game was A two flag pit game that lasted about an hour, it was a right endurance test! lol

(I say that without actually watching the video of your game. :p)

Halo 3 customs should start happening again. :p

EDIT: Dax woah I never knew about the battleship thing, do you still have the map and settings lol?

Also while we are showing off videos, this is like a 2 minuite long mini montage I made ages ago, im planning to make a full one at some point in the distant future lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhUsetOAom4

Striker

blamite said:
The new BTB is definitely much much better than what that playlist used to be. I hope this same kind of overhaul is planned for the rest of the playlists. Objective and Invasion in particular could use some change.
Agreed.

Set more maps for Assault, all three versions, on more maps. It tends to frequently show up on Hemorrhage the most, it seems. Where is Neutral Bomb on Anchor 9? Where is Multi-Bomb on Asylum? The asymmetric games need a "Fast" approach, and Pro is a terrible gametype for one sided games in Objective. 1-Flag Fast with the flag returning faster, or resetting much quicker. Same for a 1-Bomb Fast setting. On smaller maps these things should be resetting much faster. Also need to see more of gametypes like straight Oddball, KotH, and 3 Plots show up more. Get Headhunter the hell out, and less of Stockpile. Stockpile should only appear on symmetrical maps, namely Tempest, Anchor 9, Countdown, Zealot, and Asylum.

Would it also kill them to add some FW maps that are built for objectives in? Talking about Extension (Foundation remake, nicely built; get the Community Cartographers to set it up to add in), and couple of the Classic maps like a Lockout and Warlock. When we have the opportunity to add more maps into the rotation, it does nothing but help out the fresh variety.

As for Invasion, they really need to do something. I'm OK with regular, vanilla Invasion on all three maps. But it gets old entirely too quickly. Personally, I'm not the biggest fan of Invasion Slayer because of the horrific spawn sequences for the objective and the timer. Invasion Skirmish is better, but it does not belong on small maps. Large maps only. And I wonder if adding maps on Hemorrhage, or Tempest, like "SvE CTF" would be viable. Same starting weapons for both (DMR/AR) to counter vehicles and so it isn't a one way street (no Plasma Pistol starts for Elites). I'm not sure it this kind of variant is ever viable for Invasion, but it would make the playlist more about Spartans vs. Elites than a simple Invasion playlist.

vhfive

bobs99 ... said:
YES!

Saturday would be perfect no matter what time. :p
:(
I won't be able to this weekend because I'm going to Boston to celebrate my brothers acceptance to med school get stupid drunk.

bobs99 ... said:
No way Dax, the best HaloGaf custom game was A two flag pit game that lasted about an hour, it was a right endurance test! lol

(I say that without actually watching the video of your game. :p)

Halo 3 customs should start happening again. :p

EDIT: Dax woah I never knew about the battleship thing, do you still have the map and settings lol?
Forgot about that game! I hope I saved it. And I dunno if I have that gametype. I'll have to check when I get home.

Steelyuhas said:
Just played a 15 minute Invasion game and a 12 minute Invasion game. 1 Revenge between both games. This weekly is hard.

I'm thinking that playing Grifball and SWAT would make the weekly a little bit easier. Hell, Team Snipers might also make it easier

Ken

Steelyuhas said:
Just played a 15 minute Invasion game and a 12 minute Invasion game. 1 Revenge between both games. This weekly is hard.
I'd imagine that playing on a playlist like Team Slayer with smaller maps and less enemies would make Revenge medals easier to get.

Top Bottom