• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

bobs99 ... said:
It kind of already is, I mean a fair amount of the old school Halo fans in this thread arent even playing Reach much anymore.

True. But I think the vast majority of Halo players - a good combination of hardcore fans, casual fans and the people in between like myself - simply move to the newest Halo title.

And I don't want to see those people split up any further.

But if it happens, so be it. There are other shooters out there. I probably won't move on with the crowd for more Halo: CE.

Major Williams said:
Halo CE Remake to ship with 30 maps confirmed. Reach playlists barren.

Haha, maybe.

I think some of the really hardcore fans of old-school Halo overestimate just how much people loved the older Halo games over the newer ones. I think there's a reason that more people haven't dropped back to Halo 3, or jumped into stripped-down modes like Arena, MLG and Classic.

The Antitype said:
True. But I think the vast majority of Halo players - a good combination of hardcore fans, casual fans and the people in between like myself - simply move to the newest Halo title.

And I don't want to see those people split up any further.

But if it happens, so be it. There are other shooters out there. I probably won't move on with the crowd for more Halo: CE.

Haha thats the same problem that hardcore fans have had with each release in the series. To be fair though with Reach being such a far cry from the halo formulae I just want that formulae back, whether thats in the form of Halo CE or a proper sequel.

The Antitype said:
Haha, maybe.

I think some of the really hardcore fans of old-school Halo overestimate just how much people loved the older Halo games over the newer ones. I think there's a reason that more people haven't dropped back to Halo 3, or jumped into stripped-down modes like Arena, MLG and Classic.

What you said about "And I don't want to see those people split up any further." rings true here. I prefer Halo 3, but getting matches in it is really hard, so I just dont play it. I dont want to wait ages for a match even if the gameplay is so good when you finally get a match. There just isnt that much time. Sadly the population has moved on to the newer thing, and as people periodically trickle back and find it difficult to get games they give up.

As for The Arena/ MLG and Team classic, there are a bunch of factors why I think they fail. Listing just a few for each:
The Arena was aweful.

MLG suffers from being too intimidating I think for the casual player, lack of Radar and so on doesnt exactly mean its going to be a 'classic' experience.

Classic settings are good, but the grey of forge world and dodgy nades and AR ruin it.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
bobs99 ... said:
lol I tuned in and all I saw was lagg.

Gotta say, theres something about those Halo 2 menu's which makes em slick even though they look dated as hell.

LOL yea I got out of that room ASAP. I'm hosting my own now

Picked up Brink and really enjoying it so far.

I have a few buddies playing it, and even with 5 people working together on a team of 8, it's pretty easy to beat teams of randoms. Good sign, IMO, for an objective-based shooter.

The SMART movement system isn't as big a deal as I would like, but I think that has more to do with map design than the function itself.

Will likely keep playing Halo: Reach though. It's not THAT good. :D

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Word on the street is that PAX Saturday passes will be sold out very soon.

Major Williams said:
I think we need to focus on how we are similar here.

I agree with Lake on nearly every aspect. I also agree with you that things were chosen with a great degree of care - as was the noob tube on CoD:MW2...

So, even though you can take great care in crafting the greatest hot dog, barbequed to perfection, that still won't be in a 5 star restaurant's menu because it's not healthy, and only really appeals to a certain demographic of people. The analogy is not perfect, but I hope you understand. Reach is far from perfect. I think vehicle handling is something you should note. The imbalance of the banshee is another.

Unnecessary elements being shaved off is the essence of refinement. They shaved off a few things, and added some more. The newest elements added are the ones most chastised by the community, and the largest reason for the loss in player count. I think the answer is simple here.
Oh, I don't think Reach is perfect by any stretch of the imagination. I also don't think it's better in every way when compared to previous entries. The thing that bugs me are the posters here who behave as if their opinion is paramount.

@ Ramirez
Don't be asinine. Enjoying Reach doesn't preclude me from enjoying a more traditional experience as well. I love Halo 3 and often miss playing it, especially when I think about outstanding maps like Mythic II with which I didn't get as much time.

feel

Hey guys what's going o.. WAT

*runs to reinstall XBC*

edit- wait, that post from tashi was hours ago, you guys still playing halo 2?

*installs xlink kai too, just in case*

edit2-

2hp6n3q.jpg

Nutter

HiredN00bs said:
Oh, I don't think Reach is perfect by any stretch of the imagination. I also don't think it's better in every way when compared to previous entries. The thing that bugs me are the posters here who behave as if their opinion is paramount.

@ Ramirez
Don't be asinine. Enjoying Reach doesn't preclude me from enjoying a more traditional experience as well. I love Halo 3 and often miss playing it, especially when I think about outstanding maps like Mythic II with which I didn't get as much time.
HiredN00bs

What makes your opinion more important than what Lake is saying?

Nutter said:
HiredN00bs

What makes your opinion more important than what Lake is saying?

What makes Lake's opinion so much more important?

Lake Minnetonka said:
When I think resources I think development budget. A game with Reach's development budget cannot have so little content. Microsoft threw millions at Bungie to create a kick-ass Halo game, Microsoft wasn't trying to fund Activision's multiplatform IP. Even a fraction of Bungie's 200+ people should have delivered more content, dev teams a fraction of their size (with much less experience) have done more. I'm confused on where you stand, you made fun of Major Williams implying that Bungie did a decent job allocating their resources when I can't understand how someone could defend that. Yes, they had up to two franchises in the work, but are they that inefficient that they have to settle on as little content as they did?

I'm hoping for your sake that you simply don't know the definition of refined.

N00B's is angry because of the way Lake treats people. He constantly uses tactics of belittling anyone who disagrees with him, and furthermore tries to discredit them by getting them to rage.

Sad thing, is he is quite good at it. I'm sure plenty of people don't like me here, I'm a junior, I can be a bit polarizing as well. Regardless I don't see those people putting my opinions and beliefs down. Sure, people don't agree with them, and they tell me, but they are not going around spouting about horrible a Halo player I am, or how I'm absolutely crazy for having an opinion that differs from their own.

/white knight

tl;dr

stfu and play some halo :D

Nutter said:
So when is that 1v1 suppose to happen..

The super serious 1v1 right?

The battle of the century?

The rumble in the jungle?

Anikan vs Obiwan?

It happens a week from Wednesday.

Also, Its not going to be slayer pro, its not going to be MLG, but instead I'm only down for Slayer DMR's or Regular Slayer.

We will be using Armor abilities, probably no Armor Lock.

I'm thinking no time limit to 25.

Tunavi

Banned
A27_StarWolf said:
The super serious 1v1 right?

The battle of the century?

The rumble in the jungle?

Anikan vs Obiwan?

It happens a week from Wednesday.

Also, Its not going to be slayer pro, its not going to be MLG, but instead I'm only down for Slayer DMR's or Regular Slayer.

We will be using Armor abilities, probably no Armor Lock.

I'm thinking no time limit to 25.
Loser has to render the whole game

Trasher

A27_StarWolf said:
What makes Lake's opinion so much more important?

N00B's is angry because of the way Lake treats people. He constantly uses tactics of belittling anyone who disagrees with him, and furthermore tries to discredit them by getting them to rage.

Sad thing, is he is quite good at it. I'm sure plenty of people don't like me here, I'm a junior, I can be a bit polarizing as well. Regardless I don't see those people putting my opinions and beliefs down. Sure, people don't agree with them, and they tell me, but they are not going around spouting about horrible a Halo player I am, or how I'm absolutely crazy for having an opinion that differs from their own.

/white knight

tl;dr

stfu and play some halo :D
Because Lake's the hero HaloGAF deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll berate his posts because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight.

Lazslo said:
Can I Ref this 1v1 match of the forevar?
Tashi and I called dibs long ago! We gonna stream that shit.

Trasher said:
Because Lake's the hero HaloGAF deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll berate his posts because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight.

Tashi and I called dibs long ago! We gonna stream that shit.
i-am-not-hero-gotham-wants.jpg

I'm down for this.

Someone make an advertisement!

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Trasher said:
jokerxosu.gif

Trasher said:

Not sure that Lake deserves such awesomeness.

What does this 1v1 even hope to do?
Invalidate the thoughts of the loser?

Lake will remain a poster with often good criticism and schizophrenic people skills.
StarWolf will an okay guy (too early to classify).

Ramirez - Re: Brink/GoW Talk
Not sure how I feel about this. Critical comparisons between Reach and whatever are great, but often it seems like cliques within HaloGAF wanting to organise their clique to play or talk with their clique about that game.
-in before jealousy claims-
Whether it's right or wrong, it's only a portion of the HaloGAF community, making the thread less enjoyable/relevant for everyone else, never mind that it's GAF policy to for threads to largely remain whatever they're originally about. Hell, the Rock Band thread cemented that.

Ramirez

Sorry for crashing your game earlier Ellis, I thought you were in a MP match, didn't notice it was all bots til the end. :p

I'm sorry ZOL, but if I can endure the extreme stupidity of Oonks for weeks, a passing comment about a game coming out is not the end of the world.

The 1v1 will be hilarious, nothing like two bad players battling it out in an epic duel.

Ramirez said:
I'm sorry ZOL, but if I can endure the extreme stupidity of Oonks for weeks, a passing comment about a game coming out is not the end of the world.
I get it, don't exactly feel the same.

End of the world is generally saved for dictators and perma-s :p

Zeouterlimits said:
What does this 1v1 even hope to do?
Invalidate the thoughts of the loser?
This 1v1 is about how bad Starwolf is at Halo. It's about settling things in the most manly of fashions, a 1v1. It's about stripping Starwolf of what dignity and self-respect he still may believe he holds. It's about picking up the sticks and delivering a hurting so terrible, so violent and savage that it will haunt him in his dreams. It's about humiliation on an unprecedented scale. It's about how bad Starwolf is at Halo.

The 1v1 is not about invalidating others. Starwolf's opinions are so stupid they invalidate themselves.

Lake Minnetonka said:
This 1v1 is about how bad Starwolf is at Halo. It's about settling things in the most manly of fashions, a 1v1. It's about stripping Starwolf of what dignity and self-respect he still may believe he holds. It's about picking up the sticks and delivering a hurting so terrible, so violent and savage that it will haunt him in his dreams. It's about humiliation on an unprecedented scale. It's about how bad Starwolf is at Halo.

The 1v1 is not about invalidating others. Starwolf's opinions are so stupid they invalidate themselves.
:lol :lol

Is there any way to MacGuyver a spectator mode out of the settings? I wanna see this shit go down live.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Barrow Roll said:

Is there any way to MacGuyver a spectator mode out of the settings? I wanna see this shit go down live.

I wanna get in there to and stream it from my POV. I also think this 1v1 should be a best of 3.

Tawpgun

Barrow Roll said:

Make the 1 v 1 happen on a forgeworld map and build a spectator arena.

*sigh* does anyone remember the 1 v 1 game in Halo 2? Not sure what the settings were, but I know its impossible to make since Halo 3.

It's the one where you could have like 8 people in the game, but only 2 would spawn at any given time. Once someone dies, another player takes his place. Everyone else spectates.

Also, another option is to make the game to 15 or so, but have 15 lives. Spectators kill themselves at beginning of the match.

Barrow Roll said:

Not without making the spawning system even worse. Is there a planned map for these shenanigans?

edit: there really isn't any decent default Reach map for 1v1, is there? smh...

Absolutely not a true 1v1 has two players in it. You need that for a solid connection, before you know it you'll have 3 players and someone in mid-green for some reason.

1v1 DMR starts up to 15 with a 10 minute time limit. Lockout is the only acceptable 1v1 map. Everything else is a joke.

haloblogheader.jpg.size-525_maxheight-346.jpg

The "Great Journey" book will be my most anticipated art book this year. The sneak peak, I got from the Halo: Reach Legendary Guide, is making the waiting really awful.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i'm beginning to think we need a OT for the fans of halo reach - its always a bummer catching up with this thread :/

Hey You

Posted?

CNN Article: Halo' and creators move on after divorce

Some quotes I find interesting:

On July 7, Bungie will hold its annual celebration, where it will give prizes to "Halo" fans. Osborne, the spokesman, declined to outline specific plans.

"It could be pretty odd to have a celebration of 10 years of 'Halo' without a Bungie presence," Osborne said. "We know that they want us to have a presence there." He indicated that Bungie would likely be there but declined to say much more.

Top Bottom