• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Nutter said:
Isnt that what Customs are for?

If its going to be a bracket; People will take the games seriously, but as ram said last time he did that for Halo 3, people did not even bother showing up for the games. But in all honesty if there ever was a In GAF Halo Bracket tourney people would complain about the teams being stacked because of how people will want to play with folks they have been playing with for years.

AKA Team ThermaBudtashomletJesus > *

I say we do Forum Matches!

Team 2 vs Team Bobs. Thats right lets go!

All joking aside a Gaf tournament would be insanely stacked, the TJ clique who are all gaffers would dominate simply because they are a team of good players who actually play together. I didint personally play with many gaffers in ranked and even if I matched up with some of the best we just wouldnt gel as quickly if faced against teams who were solid and playing together for years.

I would still do it for shits and giggles but being from the UK I think timezones would kill it.

vhfive

Hitmonchan107 said:
I've been kicking around the idea of having a community tournament.

2old2play, PMS, HaloGAF, HBO, Waypoint

It might be fun.
that would be pretty awesome
and this time we would send the best of the best

A serious HaloGaf tournament would never really work. The only way I could see it happening is if we had silly metrics that determined teams or just a silly tournament in general. I'm sure a Hallway tournament would bridge the gap between casuals and pros :p

vhfive

A27_StarWolf said:
Correction:

We hold a tournament to see who the best of the best ARE.
yup a 1v1 tourney sounds good and your first round match is against lake

we already know who the best of the best are

stephen08

bobs99 ... said:
In Halo 3 the only way to effectively use it against vehicles was to snipe people out of them, which was awesome and was something I loved doing all the way back to Halo 1. As for the fact that people used them inside that was also awesome. Halo isnt particularly realistic, and so toning down the Sniper would have really annoyed me.

I respect the guy but I have to say that I disagree with his critisms of the Sniper.

Of course with Reach they went the opposite way and instead of toning down the Sniper they just put it on easy mode pretty much taking out all the satisfaction of using it lol.

I agree for the most part. While I do like that vehicles can be downed by sustained fire the Sniper is a bit too much. It is well balanced in certain instances with vehicles though such as with the Wraith. Taking down a Wraith pretty much kills any ammo you have for it. However if you can hit the hatch you can take out the driver in 2 - 3 shots.

Replaying ODST, I'm reminded of my hopes prior to Reach's release of a more expansive hub world in the same vein of ODST's. Not that Reach's campaign isn't all kinds of awesomeness, but I hope 343 eventually takes that approach with another Halo game. I'd love to see what they can do with an entire studio working behind that idea.

stephen08

Dax01 said:
Replaying ODST, I'm reminded of my hopes prior to Reach's release of a more expansive hub world in the same vein of ODST's. Not that Reach's campaign isn't all kinds of awesomeness, but I hope 343 eventually takes that approach with another Halo game. I'd love to see what they can do with an entire studio working behind that idea.

I would love it if the next Halo game took a Borderlands style approach of having these massive free-roam environments and missions took place within them. Borderlands is great, but the gameplay wasn't on the level of Halo IMO.

stephen08 said:
I agree for the most part. While I do like that vehicles can be downed by sustained fire the Sniper is a bit too much. It is well balanced in certain instances with vehicles though such as with the Wraith. Taking down a Wraith pretty much kills any ammo you have for it. However if you can hit the hatch you can take out the driver in 2 - 3 shots.

I agree and that happened all the way back in Halo 1 with the Scorpion tank, shoot off the hatch and shoot the driver for a 2 shot tank kill with a Sniper. It wasnt overpowered because the guy in the tank clearly had the bigger weapon lol, and didnt have to be accurate, the Sniper guy really had to be at least a little smart with his positioning and timing to pull it off.

Being able to just keep shooting a tank shot after shot to blow it up isnt as fun for either vehicle combat or sniping. It doesnt have the satisfaction of successfully taking out a driver of a vehicle and in my opinion kind of makes vehicle combat all that more sucky.

Reading back this post it almost reads as if I disagree with you, but I dont I also think the Sniper works well in anti vehicle situations, but only in special cases where you have to be a bit exceptional to pull it off.

As for Team 2 being the best that Gaf has to offer. Dont get me wrong, Team 2 is insanely good, but I still think the way it was chosen was incredibly cliquey, there are good players on Halogaf but they post individually. Its easier for a group of friends to all get on one team type thing which kiiiinda sucks. (It didnt really affect me then as I had exams and all sorts, but I would love to get in on some community customs, I dont think the unfairly chosen Team 2 should have all of the glory. :p)

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Plywood said:
I'm not on that team so there is no way it is the best.

lol

That's true. You're definitely in the top group of HaloGAF players. I haven't played with a lot of you juniors to know how good you all are though. I'm guessing some of you are pretty good.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Hitmonchan107 said:
Does anyone know why XBC won't find my console? I've downloaded all the files I need.

Is your PC connected wired or wireless? I had the same issues wireless but then I plugged that bitch in and it worked great.

Tashi0106 said:
Is your PC connected wired or wireless? I had the same issues wireless but then I plugged that bitch in and it worked great.
Wired.

Edit: I figured out the problem. If anyone has XBC, let's play!

Tashi0106 said:
That's true. You're definitely in the top group of HaloGAF players. I haven't played with a lot of you juniors to know how good you all are though. I'm guessing some of you are pretty good.
I got an overkill yesterday
against scrubs
, can I do a 1v1 against StarWolf to prove I'm good?

just kidding StarWolf :p

Ken (Choco) and Plywood (Xenolock) are the two good players from that Junior wave. AKORPAH was real good too but he stopped posting here it seems.

xxjuicesxx said:
Ken (Choco) and Plywood (Xenolock) are the two good players from that Junior wave. AKORPAH was real good too but he stopped posting here it seems.
From my wave, I vote Tunavi. He's a cool dude.

Should this be an 8v8 tourny?

Hitmonchan107 said:

Picking people based on 'waves' would actually be a pretty fair way to judge things. 2 guys from anyone that joined in 07/ 2 guys from 08/ 2 from 09/ etc.

Im personally not actually that up for being in a Reach team thing, but im just saying it would be a good system to give everyone a fair chance.

Gui_PT

Picking teams for a tournament? Here we go agaaaaiiiiiiin!

And yeah, let's not pick the people who didn't have a chance to be a part of it last time.

Tunavi

Banned
Hitmonchan107 said:

:D
I might be cut off from playing with HaloGAF starting this saturday. I return home from college where my NAT is closed, and I have no idea how to fix it, and it heavily restricts who I play with. not happy with this NAT bullshit.

I have a random question: Does anyone have more Invasion play time than me? I have 2 days, 8 hours.
Edit: Yup Gui has 4 days, 5 hours.

Ken

Tunavi said:
:D
I might be cut off from playing with HaloGAF starting this saturday. I return home from college where my NAT is closed, and I have no idea how to fix it, and it heavily restricts who I play with. not happy with this NAT bullshit.

I have a random question: Does anyone have more Invasion play time than me? I have 2 days, 8 hours. Edit: Yup Gui has 4 days, 5 hours.
Are you using a router and if so what type?

bobs99 ... said:
Picking people based on 'waves' would actually be a pretty fair way to judge things. 2 guys from anyone that joined in 07/ 2 guys from 08/ 2 from 09/ etc.

Im personally not actually that up for being in a Reach team thing, but im just saying it would be a good system to give everyone a fair chance.
DoB! That way, Ghaleon and Wu can watch from their lofty perch as us youngins fight on their lawn for the remaining spots :p

Tunavi

Banned
Hydranockz said:
DoB! That way, Ghaleon and Wu can watch from their lofty perch as us youngins fight on their lawn for the remaining spots :p
10/23/90 reporting in
Hydranockz said:
Yeah, I don't think you should be keeping your router there in the first place.

HHHHNNNNNNNGGGGG
megman battle network reference? I don't get it though

Ken

Tunavi said:
Off the top of my head, I think it's a Netopia Router but that's all I know right now

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

Try finding your router model at the bottom, and choose Xbox Live 360 on the third page. Where it asks you to make a static IP for your computer, make a static IP for your 360 instead.

Did this for my Linksys when it kept randomly switching to moderate or strict NAT and now it stays on open NAT.

Tunavi

Banned
Hydranockz said:
I'd be 01/04/90 in silly mm/dd/yy terms :p To the arena!
Silly Terms, huh?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhnUgAaea4M
Hydranockz said:
You took the router off of your head to check what type it was...
oh+you.jpg

Ken said:
http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

Try finding your router model at the bottom, and choose Xbox Live 360 on the third page. Where it asks you to make a static IP for your computer, make a static IP for your 360 instead.

Did this for my Linksys when it kept randomly switching to moderate or strict NAT and now it stays on open NAT.
Thank you, I'll try this out when I get home. Page saved

Karl2177

Hitmonchan107 said:
Does anyone have a PAF account to invite those guys? This will be much easier with a 6th community. (*cough* Bungie *cough*)
The Bungie.net community carnages are always an option. (*cough*Icanarrangethat*cough*)

Willeth

Hitmonchan107 said:
Does anyone have a PAF account to invite those guys? This will be much easier with a 6th community. (*cough* Bungie *cough*)
I've been out of this thread for a while, what's happening? I can post in the PA thread and see if there's any interest.

You could also just sign up for the PA forums and post yourself, though.

Love Halo Reach. Love, love, love.

I played Brink, and it was fiun. But coming back to Reach after playing Brink is like pulling out an award-winning wine after drinking a nice local craft beer.

You can enjoy the craft beer, but the wine puts the art of liquor into perspective.

Likewise for the FPS genre.

Halo is so far beyond anything save Valve's output, that it's kind of ridiculous.

So if anybody working at Bungie reads this forum or thread, THANK YOU!

vhfive

Hitmonchan107 said:
You could always invite forgehub. I hear squidhands is down with them.

I say the more communities the merrier

vhfive said:
You could always invite forgehub. I hear squidhands is down with them.

I say the more communities the merrier
Absolutely!

Karl2177 said:
The Bungie.net community carnages are always an option. (*cough*Icanarrangethat*cough*)

If you can manage to get eight people from there without shedding blood, you are a god among men.

Edit: Also, I'd appreciate all the help I can get in setting this up. If you'd like to help set up brackets or arrange teams on other fan sites, send me a PM.

This should be a collaborative effort.

I believe the Halo community is passionate yet disconnected. This is my way of trying to bring everyone together for a good time.

Current list of interested groups:
- HaloGAF
- 2old2play

I've contacted bsangel, and she said she would help with prizes.

Groups that still need to be contacted:
- Halo Waypoint
- HBO (on the forums)
- Forgehub
- PMS clan
- Penny Arcade Forums

If PAF is involved, we would need one more team to even up the brackets.

Hitmonchan107 said:
If you can manage to get eight people from there without shedding blood, you are a god among men.
Doing that here without bloodshed would similarly be a feat. God, the debacle last time was embarrassing.

I know some top people over at forge hub too.

I think we should hold some sort of tournament here at GAF to see who we send. Otherwise, that is not fair. I don't even care if I get to participate or not, I just know it is the most fair way to do this.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I am down to reunite Team 2 to dong on whoever questions our team.

As for Brink, I think it's a great game. The only thing it's missing is a more solid netcode and a party system. That's all it really needs.

I dunno, just a suggestion from someone who won't be able to be involved: if there is a shortage of teams to fill a bracket, form "B" teams from the involved forums. Gaf 1 vs. 2 in the championship match, I'm calling it now. Just throwing it out there :)

Thermite

Nutter said:
Isnt that what Customs are for?

If its going to be a bracket; People will take the games seriously, but as ram said last time he did that for Halo 3, people did not even bother showing up for the games. But in all honesty if there ever was a In GAF Halo Bracket tourney people would complain about the teams being stacked because of how people will want to play with folks they have been playing with for years.

AKA Team ThermaBudtashomletJesus > *

I say we do Forum Matches!

If Team 2 is getting in on any action, Imma have to brush up on my Haloz skillz. I haven't played hardly any Halo the past few weeks and I'm probably super rusty.. lol

Plus, someone is gonna have to carry you nubs! ;p

I know some of the people that run GrifballHub lololol
I kid, they're nice people regardless of non-grifball skill.

Hitmonchan I can help with brackets, etc.

Top Bottom