• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Steelyuhas said:
So for the public beta for this dashboard/xbox update, are they sending out disc's to everyone that they choose?

I've had the disc for a couple of months though, but at that time it was just for Microsofties.

Yeah, I believe they are sending them to everyone they accepted. The purpose of this test is to test out the new disc format.

Kibbles

Finally got the Weekly Challenge in co-op. 3hr33min the film says. Pain in the ass, but I feel totally satisfied now that it's over with. Should've been more than 14000cr.

Domino Theory said:
2ihup3p.gif

I honestly could not stand more than an hour of that game, I think there is a reason you dont hear anyone talk about still playing gears 2 multiplayer.

A27_StarWolf said:
I honestly could not stand more than an hour of that game, I think there is a reason you dont hear anyone talk about still playing gears 2 multiplayer.
That's because it launched with completely broken multiplayer full of bugs, terrible lag and all kinds of other bullshit. A lot of people didn't look back even if they got their shit sorted several Title Updates later. It says nothing about the quality of the gameplay on the display. When it works, Gears is one of the most unique and tense shooters around. The campaign was also fantastic and full of amazing set pieces. Also, you can probably thank Gears for Firefight, since Horde was such a success and popularized this whole enemy survival thing that so many games have adopted now.

Man what an epic match on boneyard. We were on round 1 about to lose, the elites had the core and were at the drop off site. I spawned with the grenade launcher and went to town. I alone took out their entire team, not once, not twice but three times. I was just up there on the stairs firing like a madman with elite bodies falling all over the place. Right when things were at their worst they got worse as my personal nemesis arrived. This guy was the same guy who had been trying to kill me the entire game, we constantly had duels. We charged each other, he had the sword and hit first taking out my shields.

I ran up to the top and missed with my launcher. That was my final shot and he was charging me while his teammates got the core. I knew it was over so I picked up a spare plasma and slammed it into his face. We both died but it was so epic and in the end we did lose.

Barrow Roll said:
That's because it launched with completely broken multiplayer full of bugs, terrible lag and all kinds of other bullshit. A lot of people didn't look back even if they got their shit sorted several Title Updates later. It says nothing about the quality of the gameplay on the display. When it works, Gears is one of the most unique and tense shooters around. The campaign was also fantastic and full of amazing set pieces. Also, you can probably thank Gears for Firefight, since Horde was such a success and popularized this whole enemy survival thing that so many games have adopted now.

I always thought CoD WaW Zombies popularized it.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
The Real Napsta said:
I always thought CoD WaW Zombies popularized it.

Definitely not. That's why when firefight and all these other coop modes got announced they were called "this game's horde mode."

Not sure how I missed those PAX Prime Reach vids from last year, great stuff there. I know they have their reasons, but I've always wanted a battle like that desert clip in the deleted stuff. Really open, hilly terrain with Warthogs and enemies everywhere... probably too much for the engine.

Couldn't help but chuckle at this.

Barrow Roll said:
Just tried to play Gears 2 online with the boss man, and I still don't like it.

It's just not for me.

ncsuDuncan said:
Not sure how I missed those PAX Prime Reach vids from last year, great stuff there. I know they have their reasons, but I've always wanted a battle like that desert clip in the deleted stuff. Really open, hilly terrain with Warthogs and enemies everywhere... probably too much for the engine.

Couldn't help but chuckle at this.
I stopped lurking GAF around the time the Forge World video released, so I missed this, too.

Thanks!

Lingitiz

A27_StarWolf said:
Actually there just isn't alot of Gears talk on Gaf because most people here travel from game to game very quickly, and Gears 2 launched totally broken. The problem with people getting into Gears now is that the MP requires a skill set very different from any other game. Gears has a very solid hardcore following and does a ton of things right with round based action. I don't think people should write off Gears 3 because the last game struggled with mp.

One of the things that i really enjoy is that Gears and Halo offer a wide variety of modes with a high quality level, and even someone that does not enjoy Gears but loves Halo has to recognize that.

A27 Tawpgun said:
I know we shouldn't talk about Gears in the Halo thread...

But any HaloGAFFERS planning on playing the Gears Beta on May 25th? How many will play it early? (bulletstorm)

And to keep it somewhat on-topic...

I have conflicting emotions on LASO. Sometimes, its fun as hell to be challenged like that. It's fun with friends to take out enemies in interesting ways. But other times the levels lend themselves to so much skipping, glitching, and cheapening the experience that it makes it seem more like a grind.

Does anyone want to do a run of LASO LNoS tommorow? I'm in the Zealot part right now but I'm saving the rest for later. I got lagged out of an attempt with friends.

The beta is actually April 25th for Gamestop preorders, and i'll definitely be on it.

I'd be down to tackle LASO tomorrow, couldn't imagine trying it alone.

Hitmonchan107 said:
Just tried to play Gears 2 online with the boss man, and I still don't like it.

It's just not for me.
Probably doesn't help that you're apparently playing on a laggy TV?

But you're right, it's not for everyone. And it's a hard game to get into. You will get destroyed a lot before you get good. Or if you were playing at launch you could just run around with your blackhole chainsaw revved.

Tawpgun

But any HaloGAFFERS planning on playing the Gears Beta on April 25th? How many will play it early? (bulletstorm)

I have conflicting emotions on LASO. Sometimes, its fun as hell to be challenged like that. It's fun with friends to take out enemies in interesting ways. But other times the levels lend themselves to so much skipping, glitching, and cheapening the experience that it makes it seem more like a grind.

Does anyone want to do a run of LASO LNoS tommorow? I'm in the Zealot part right now but I'm saving the rest for later. I got lagged out of an attempt with friends.

A27 Tawpgun said:

But any HaloGAFFERS planning on playing the Gears Beta on May 25th? How many will play it early? (bulletstorm)
I won't be early since I didn't get Bulletstorm, but I'm very tempted to pre-order for the Beta even though I hate buying from Gamestop/EB Games.

Obligatory Halo related stuffz: I'm probably going to hop online pretty soon to get those Firefight Dailies so if anyone wants to play some Matchmaking afterwards then that's where I'll be.

A27 Tawpgun said:

It's April 25th I believe, and runs until May 15th.

I will play, but only after the first week because I am going to have term papers and finals.

Tawpgun

Steelyuhas said:
It's April 25th I believe, and runs until May 15th.

I will play, but only after the first week because I am going to have term papers and finals.

Woops. Fixed it.

The thing I'm most looking forward to is dedicated server support. With a few games now going to dedicated servers I can only hope Halo could follow suit.

GhaleonEB

Barrow Roll said:
That's because it launched with completely broken multiplayer full of bugs, terrible lag and all kinds of other bullshit.
Are you describing Gears 1 or Gears 2?

thatsthejoke.jpg

Tawpgun

GhaleonEB said:
Are you describing Gears 1 or Gears 2?

thatsthejoke.jpg
Only problem with Gears 1 multiplayer was the server/host system which is so severely outdated and terrible (on consoles) that I physically cringe when I see a game with it.

And host advantage up the ass.

That being said, it's surprising how little host advantage does in Reach.

I remember in H2 people actually cheated (bridging) to get host. At the start of every game we would press the back button to see who got host.

In Halo 3 it was a big deal too.

In Reach I haven't noticed it at ALL.

Talking about Gears and making it seem like its about Haloz. Pro.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
After Gears 3 was delayed, I became more interested in purchasing the game. I just hope it's not a shotty fest.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Only problem with Gears 1 multiplayer was the server/host system which is so severely outdated and terrible (on consoles) that I physically cringe when I see a game with it.

And host advantage up the ass.

That being said, it's surprising how little host advantage does in Reach.

I remember in H2 people actually cheated (bridging) to get host. At the start of every game we would press the back button to see who got host.

In Halo 3 it was a big deal too.

In Reach I haven't noticed it at ALL.

Talking about Gears and making it seem like its about Haloz. Pro.
Yeah, about that...

Trasher

Figured I'd let you guys in on the latest with the Onza controller. I've come to figure out that the regular left bumper sticks sometimes... Nutter also confirmed that his does that as well sometimes. Quite a bummer because I really liked the controller a lot. I was just getting used to my new button config too. Oh well. Back to Best Buy it goes!

Trasher said:
Figured I'd let you guys in on the latest with the Onza controller. I've come to figure out that the regular left bumper sticks sometimes... Nutter also confirmed that his does that as well sometimes. Quite a bummer because I really liked the controller a lot. I was just getting used to my new button config too. Oh well. Back to Best Buy it goes!

Oh man, that's too bad. I was gonna grab one tomorrow, but I guess I'll pass.

Tashi

Trasher said:
I have a guy I play with and he hasn't mentioned anything about that. He did drop a goose egg in MLG last week though o_O Will you return it for another or just get your money back?

equil

Crucio said:
Awesome! I just played Condemned for the first time since the changes.

Slayer Pro, wow I was disappointed with the map. They blocked off two large sections and put teleporters that lead to grenade pits.
Wtf? Bad first impression on that one.

Also I've been playing a lot of Arena games to get a rank. I'm liking the game play thats coming out of it. But it seems as though none of the good players in Reach are in the playlist. Everyone sucks!

Trueskill should somewhat kick in eventually. And you'll have closer games.

Trasher

Tashi0106 said:
I have a guy I play with and he hasn't mentioned anything about that. He did drop a goose egg in MLG last week though o_O Will you return it for another or just get your money back?
I guess I'll exchange it for another, and hopefully that one won't have the sticking problem. I've only noticed the button sticking while using Armor Lock, and during the Sabre mission in campaign (hooray for not being able to turn and only doing barrel rolls/maneuvers...).

Oh, and the other bad thing I've noticed: I think there is an issue with the jack on the controller for your headset as well. The sound when people are talking skips out a little fairly often. Quite annoying. At first I thought it might be a bad cord or my headset, but I switched controllers and it's fine now.

Tashi

Trasher said:
I guess I'll exchange it for another, and hopefully that one won't have the sticking problem. I've only noticed the button sticking while using Armor Lock, and during the Sabre mission in campaign (hooray for not being able to turn and only doing barrel rolls/maneuvers...).

Oh, and the other bad thing I've noticed: I think there is an issue with the jack on the controller for your headset as well. The sound when people are talking skips out a little fairly often. Quite annoying. At first I thought it might be a bad cord or my headset, but I switched controllers and it's fine now.
Ouch. I don't know if I'd be able to deal with the mic issues.

Tunavi said:
I'm really disappointed we didn't see the global scale battles they wanted

Yeah, even as a prototype, that battle in the city looked awesome.

The only thing that they have mentioned that makes me cringe in pain that it was cut is the mission that was driving the scarab through a glassed city. That would have been unbelievable.

JonCha

Steelyuhas said:
Yeah, even as a prototype, that battle in the city looked awesome.

The only thing that they have mentioned that makes me cringe in pain that it was cut is the mission that was driving the scarab through a glassed city. That would have been unbelievable.

Agreed. The lack of scarabs in Reach was really dissappointing: I'd kinda got used to them.

Trasher

Sikamikanico said:
My Onza TE is fine, no mic issues, no sticky buttons. Maybe its just a duff build?
That's what I was hoping, but Nutter has the exact same issues with his too. Like I said though, I'll exchange it and see if another one is any better because I do really like it aside from the problems I'm experiencing.

equil

And my Onza still hasnt been delivered...It was shipped on the 8th of Mar, almost a month ago.

I dont know what to do, cause when i email them they keep telling me the same thing.
(Shipping times vary depending on the local courier) Ive never had a package take this long.

equil said:
And my Onza still hasnt been delivered...It was shipped on the 8th of Mar, almost a month ago.

I dont know what to do, cause when i email them they keep telling me the same thing.
(Shipping times vary depending on the local courier) Ive never had a package take this long.

Did you not get a tracking number once it was dispatched?

equil

Yea, this is the last update it has.
3/15/2011 11:27 AM Enroute to Local USPS Facility JERSEY CITY, NJ 07097

Current Status:InTransit

I dunno maybe im just impatient, but still its taking way to long.

Crucio

wwm0nkey said:
Go on Expertzone and I see this

9rr6mv.jpg

They hate me :(

Also found my Halo 2 Multiplayer Map Pack magnet today XD

Wait please explain that. Why are the these different prices and names?

Hey You

I'll post some random Matchmaking info in case people haven't seen them:

I'm currently working on a 5v5 Squad Slayer. Max party size of 5 with big party restrictions for parties of 4-5. We already have a few 6v6 playlist offerings, so for now my priority is getting a 5v5 online.

Will the rest of the playlist be revamped? As it is now it's stuffed with a lot of gametypes and it seems like the ones that no one wants to play always come up the most. Multiflag barely ever appears.
In a word, yes.
In two words, -blam!- yes.

Will this be a mix of objective and slayer gametypes?
100% Slayer
Will this playlist include some of the larger maps?
What's your idea of larger? We'll definitely be using Tempest, Condemned and Boardwalk... we will not be using Breakpoint, Boneyard or Paradiso.
Will it include vehicles other than mongooses, please include Warthogs!
There will be Warthogs.

Lastly will this 5v5 Playlist support 4 players per console or at least 3?
It will support 4-player splitscreen.

How about no armor lock?
Okay, but just because you asked nicely.

Atom won't be in BTB as of the next update.

Neither will Countdown.

Chess is available as-is. There was a lot of work done to try and resolve the issues such as checkmate, en passant and castling but the Chess script is already pushing the limit in terms of gameplay triggers.

It doesn't really have a place in matchmaking, which is why it wasn't introduced via a playlist.

http://www.bungie.net/Search/default.aspx?q=Jeremiah&g=5

You take tests and earn points after a certain number of them and time you move up, Expert pays less and less points depending on item. Gotta work in like Bestbuy or Target or some others though and verify.

Just snagged Gears MultiPack and Halo PC.

Crucio

xxjuicesxx said:
You take tests and earn points after a certain number of them and time you move up, Expert pays less and less points depending on item. Gotta work in like Bestbuy or Target or some others though and verify.

Just snagged Gears MultiPack and Halo PC.
Neat. Sounds fun.

Thought I'd share this with HaloGAF. Most of you should know of the amazing community called High Impact Halo. Well they're saying goodbye to it right now.
http://www.highimpacthalo.org/forum/showthread.php?t=59597.

Striker

Atom and Countdown gone from BTB, thank god. They should have never been in there in the first place. Now once he reveals the Drop Shields are taken out and the focus is back on CTF/Assault/regular Slayer, it'll be BTB again. At least its being taken care of.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Why make the 5v5 playlist Slayer only? There's a ton of non-Objective playlists already. Would a few extra options of Flag and Bomb really hurt?

Striker said:
Atom and Countdown gone from BTB, thank god. They should have never been in there in the first place. Now once he reveals the Drop Shields are taken out and the focus is back on CTF/Assault/regular Slayer, it'll be BTB again. At least its being taken care of.

I shall say this again. Just copy the halo 2 btb system, and bring btb back to its former glory! This was the last playlist gametypes from halo 2 btw:

Assault
Multi Bomb
Multi Bomb BR
Neutral Bomb
Neutral Bomb BR
1 Flag CTF
1 Flag CTF BR
Multi Flag CTF
Multi Flag CTF BR
Flag Wars
3 Plots
Land Grab
Team Duals XTRA (of course this wouldn't work now)
Gulch Wars
Team Slayer Rockets
Team Slayer
Team Slayer BR

So action sack has some pretty good game types, however games like Hockey ruin the entire flow of the playlist. Hopefull they will take it out and either a) get rid of it. Or b) put it into the griffball playlist.

Tried out the Classic Playlist too, I think I like the feel of the game but the issue for me is the terribly bland forge world pallet. Running around on a midship re-make should be so much more fun than this.

A27 Tawpgun said:

But any HaloGAFFERS planning on playing the Gears Beta on April 25th? How many will play it early? (bulletstorm)

IF I have time, IF I can hop on, took me an hour and 30 min with Odin, and Matty from forgehub.

we did it with just three people, remember to use the pelican gunner at the very last part.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Tashi0106 said:
After Gears 3 was delayed, I became more interested in purchasing the game. I just hope it's not a shotty fest.

Wall bouncing and the CQC with the shotty is what makes gears great. The shotty and combat with the shotty in gears is nothing like shotgun combat in any other game.

Top Bottom