• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

ncsuDuncan said:
Yeah, they definitely can't charge money for the film, that's a given. I was just saying that even if it's a free fan film, Microsoft may still feel threatened if they do undesireable things with the franchise characters.

It's a tangled web, balancing the goodwill that allowing fan films creates while protecting your IP from negative publicity due to unofficial content.
If Halo: Faith had Master Chief saying ridiculous things, the team could say the film is a parody and be protected.

Havok

Deputy Moonman said:
I'm ready! Without the use of power weapons, my k/d ratio is usually 1:1 or worse. Every encounter with another player brings my shields down, and at least one extra person from the opposing team always has time to show up and finish me off. And sometimes I don't even get the kill because people can sprint away like cowards. It's no wonder most montages consist of people using the sniper rifle. It kills fast, from short and far distances, and has a clip that's only slightly smaller than the pistol :p
God forbid the other team works together while you play lone wolf.

Sai-kun

Banned
O D I N said:
In retrospect, even though Chicago doesn't get a lot of events here, we at least have Master Chief grace our ears every morning with great music. <3

Oh my god, this is so true. It's so great that the Chief has such good taste in music.

I met him once at an event for Halo + the radio station. It was awesome :D

Willeth said:
ncsuDuncan said:
I really do love getting splatters. They're just so damn satisfying.

Triple Kill Splatter/Sunday Driver on Boneyard

Capture courtesy of Juices.
The perfect advertisement for why Armor Lock is necessary.

The perfect advertisement for why an armor ability similar to Armor Lock is necessary.

Fixed.

- I LIKE that it can save you from being splattered. Very useful in BTB.
- I HATE that it kills the vehicle trying to splatter you. Reduce collision damage and make the Armor Locker use the EMP to disable the vehicle.

- I LIKE that it can save you if you see an incoming rocket or grenade.
- I HATE that it can save you in an even DMR or AR battle and make you completely invincible while you wait for a teammate to come bottom-feed your opponent.

- I LIKE that you can survive a sticky grenade by Armor Locking.
- I HATE that it throws the sticky off, resulting in suicides or betrayals.

- I LIKE that you cannot move while Armor Locked.
- I HATE that this "disadvantage" is completely negated by the fact that you can rotate the camera and come out of Armor Lock facing any direction.
- I HATE that you can't be assassinated while in Armor Lock. At least make it easy to assassinate AL users as they pop out of it (by removing camera rotation).

- I LIKE complaining about Armor Lock.
- I HATE mondays. And idlers. And random bloom headshots.
/rant

Got the weekly. If anyone else can't get into the Pelican gun like I couldn't (crouch-walked all up an down that bitch with gun intact...nothing), the final four Elite Ultras can be taken down extremely easily. Do NOT engage them and they will focus solely on Jorge. Just get into position for some relatively easy assassinations. :)

Tunavi

Banned
Just went to the "screenshots of Me" list for the first time in a while and found this piece of art
4i2Iv.jpg

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=15327217&player=Chocopolka

O D I N

Hitmonchan107 said:
As soon as Reach loads up, I hop into Team Snipers.

And as of right now, Highlands is my favorite sniper map.

Open sight lines, plenty of cover -- when everybody has a sniper, it's damn near perfect.

If anything, the rate of appearance should be turned up.

Did you ever get the backflip-to-no-scope with the last bullet left?

I should rephrase that; I meant for the Defiant Playlist. Team Snipers in itself is fine; you know what you're getting into.

Sai-kun said:
Oh my god, this is so true. It's so great that the Chief has such good taste in music.

I met him once at an event for Halo + the radio station. It was awesome :D

Jealous.

GhaleonEB

Deputy Moonman said:
I'm ready! Without the use of power weapons, my k/d ratio is usually 1:1 or worse. Every encounter with another player brings my shields down, and at least one extra person from the opposing team always has time to show up and finish me off. And sometimes I don't even get the kill because people can sprint away like cowards. It's no wonder most montages consist of people using the sniper rifle. It kills fast, from short and far distances, and has a clip that's only slightly smaller than the pistol :p
Last week you were saying you like to go lone wolf and do your own thing in the game. Now you're complaining that when you run into more than one player you can't take them out because they work as a team to kill lone wolves like you.

You might want to put those two things together.

GhaleonEB said:
Last week you were saying you like to go lone wolf and do your own thing in the game. Now you're complaining that when you run into more than one player you can't take them out because they work as a team to kill lone wolves like you.

To be fair I think his point was about the disparity between 'power' weapons and 'normal' weapons. I personally think that with Reach default settings its near impossible to take on more than 1 player without resorting to power weapons. I think the older Halo games had a balance which was more fun, a skilled player could do well with or without power weapons, and power weapons weren't an instant win. I don't think ive seen much many amazing DMR plays in montages. In my opinion Reach plays more like Halo: Rock Paper Scissors Evolved than Combat Evolved. If a enemy has rockets you can run for your life but the splash damage is gonna get ya.

I wouldn't say that more players jumping into the battle is 'good teamwork' either... I would be surprised if most randoms even make call outs. Its just a fact that with Reach the killtimes are so long that theres a huge window for someone to stumble upon the battle.

Meh, I should clarify my points more, but im too tired. I will say though that as much as I wished it wasn't limited to Forge remakes of Halo 1 and 2 maps, Classic is a much better experience than default Reach.

GhaleonEB said:

Great firefight games last night Ghaleon! Thanks.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Crucio said:
Honestly I could have done the same thing you did. Save Quit, Save Quit, Save Quit. Not too hard. I would have done that if I did it solo.

We chose to do it as a 2 man cell AND with Blind Skull on. LASO is not LASO without Blind.

I decided to use the Pelican turret, yeah, but it was still freaking hard enough trying to keep my buddy alive anyway. I killed but 7 Elites and some grunts with it to end the game. I do think using it on Solo would've been a bit of a cheap scape move.
We sure could've spent an extra hour trying to kill those last elites sure. If Bungie didn't intend for the turret to be used it wouldn't have been usable.

The only real difference in our methods was the time it took. 2 hours vs 4.

Go do it again WITH Blind on then tell me how crappy of a player I am.
I never said you were crappy, but okay. I was just saying that it was very meticulous and time consuming and I wish I would've known I could have used the pelican turret.

GhaleonEB

bobs99 ... said:
To be fair I think his point was about the disparity between 'power' weapons and 'normal' weapons. I personally think that with Reach default settings its near impossible to take on more than 1 player without resorting to power weapons. I think the older Halo games had a balance which was more fun, a skilled player could do well with or without power weapons, and power weapons weren't an instant win. I don't think ive seen much many amazing DMR plays in montages. In my opinion Reach plays more like Halo: Rock Paper Scissors Evolved than Combat Evolved. If a enemy has rockets you can run for your life but the splash damage is gonna get ya.

I wouldn't say that more players jumping into the battle is 'good teamwork' either... I would be surprised if most randoms even make call outs. Its just a fact that with Reach the killtimes are so long that theres a huge window for someone to stumble upon the battle.

Meh, I should clarify my points more, but im too tired. I will say though that as much as I wished it wasn't limited to Forge remakes of Halo 1 and 2 maps, Classic is a much better experience than default Reach.
I agree! But my point stands - there are ways to mitigate this in Reach, and one way is to leverage your armor abilities (those dudes sprinting away from him) and another is team work. And he's gone on record saying his play style is to go it alone in team games. You don't get to both go it alone in team games and then come back and complain when teams kill you. Well, you can, but it's silly.

I do think that it's a lot harder to have those 1 v 2 and 1 v 3 victories in Reach, compared to past Halo games, without power weapons. There are a lot of reasons for it - the weapons and damage models, player speed, health recharge speed, etc - but it's a fair point. I was simply amused by the juxtaposition of "I go it alone in team games" and "I keep getting donged on in team games".

Tunavi said:
Just went to the "screenshots of Me" list for the first time in a while and found this piece of art
I did that a while back too and found some 60+ various images of me in the moments just before my suicide-by-targeting-laser. Felt so weird, like I was a specimen being studied in one of my worst lulz moments.

Here's one:

2crnceb.jpg

My laser got triggered on an incoming concussion round, just a few pixels from my face (whoops). Even though I ran for the hills when I noticed there was a serious disturbance in the force, my fate had already been sealed.

Old rendered vid here: http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=9152057&player=NullPointer256

neoism

Dani said:
The weekly this week is a push over if done in co-op. Can't believe how smoothly it went. Even the bridge was a breeze.
but the focus rifle... fuuuuu. it's like one 2 seconds lol...
also trueskill :/
vhfive said:
You're right the payout is not worth it. Which is why I stopped doing them after the first one
lol
yeah I what 27777 for the next one bungle. Plus they really should make 4 daily's worth like 25000 altogether, daily's for campaign so we can get 50000+ :p

NullPointer said:
I did that a while back too and found some 60+ various images of me in the moments just before my suicide-by-targeting-laser. Felt so weird, like I was a specimen being studied in one of my worst lulz moments.

Here's one:

2crnceb.jpg

My laser got triggered on an incoming concussion round, just a few pixels from my face (whoops). Even though I ran for the hills when I noticed there was a serious disturbance in the force, my fate had already been sealed.

Old rendered vid here: http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=9152057&player=NullPointer256

You would have made it too if not for those darn kids and their fusion cores lying about!

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
Ghaleon, you know I'm always up for some co-op adventures.
Groovy. I did the co-op daily with her last night, so I'm going to give my younger some attention tonight. Tomorrow?

I'm buying a Kinect tonight for my younger daughter's sixth birthday. Someone, somehow, showed it to her and she's been asking for it for months. Resistance is futile.

Just rewatched the "Cut Content"-video Bungie showed at PAX '10... Some of those concepts just have to make it into a later Halo game. :( That huge-ass space battle, that urban combat, that charge to the AA gun... Man, it's almost as if Reach's concepts looked more awesome than the full game. :lol

EDIT: Shit on a stick, forgot the video. :lol

GhaleonEB said:
Groovy. I did the co-op daily with her last night, so I'm going to give my younger some attention tonight. Tomorrow?

I'm buying a Kinect tonight for my younger daughter's sixth birthday. Someone, somehow, showed it to her and she's been asking for it for months. Resistance is futile.

Have you guys started yet? I'm just getting on and would love to romp in co-op with you guys.

EDIT: Reading comprehension for the lose. Didn't notice you said tomorrow. That is quite alright.

GhaleonEB said:

Tomorrow sounds good. I'm assuming about 9 pm EST (6 pm PST)? But whatever times works best for you.

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
Tomorrow sounds good. I'm assuming about 9 pm EST (6 pm PST)? But whatever times works best for you.
That time works, maybe a touch later (6:30?).

Yeti - I won't be on tonight for the Challenge, but we're gearing up for tomorrow and you're welcome to join. Gonna finish studying the LASO run videos (I know, I know). The main reason I wanted to see them was to evaluate the approach to the ending sequence...the Pellican turret! Holy cow.

I just got booted out of Halo 3 by the worst 2 players I have ever played against. First match we demolished them. Second match they booted me, third match they booted me. I wish Halo 3 had a good enough matchmaking pool that I wouldnt have to match up against them again, but right now I might aswell just play another playlist.

They have even sent messages about how they host booted, surely through ip logs I can prove what these guys are doing? It must be bannable? Im pretty sure its illegal.

GhaleonEB said:
That time works, maybe a touch later (6:30?).

Yeti - I won't be on tonight for the Challenge, but we're gearing up for tomorrow and you're welcome to join. Gonna finish studying the LASO run videos (I know, I know). The main reason I wanted to see them was to evaluate the approach to the ending sequence...the Pellican turret! Holy cow.

Yeah sorry, I didn't notice the 'tomorrow' part. :lol

But yeah I'll try to be on at that time tomorrow, and it would be cool if you could just send an invite my way. :)

And I'm not looking forward to the Pelican Turret sequence. I had a hard time with that on my Normal run. :(

-Yeti said:
Have you guys started yet? I'm just getting on and would love to romp in co-op with you guys.

EDIT: Reading comprehension for the loss. Didn't notice you said tomorrow. That is quite alright.

Spelling comprehension for the loss!

:p

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Ramirez said:
And what are we without internet cred? A sad shell of a human being for sure.

Fuck that. You put out a "totally awesome sick montage" it better be that. I'm not trying to knock him as a person.

bobs99 ... said:

This is more of what I was getting at.

I don't understand why I get called out for playing lone-wolf style when it's pretty common in team games. I watched some of the MLG feed that Juices posted the other day and it wasn't like everyone was running around in a pack the whole time. Trying to get behind the opposing team while they are focused on one part of the map is a fairly decent strat, and not selfish in the least. I also find that my reactions are quicker if I'm not constantly trying to hip-hug my teammates, which can be just as dangerous as staying apart, since tight groups can make an easy target for power weapons and grenades.

Even if it is a poor choice in Reach, it didn't use to be that way in previous Halo games. So I don't see how my complaints aren't legitimate. Since it's harder to get away with it in Reach, all of a sudden it's fair to jump on my case for being some kind of selfish player... I don't agree.

But enough of my thoughts. I shouldn't have made the post in the first place. It was more of a joke, because someone said "cue the complaining about long kill times."

Ramirez

Tashi0106 said:
Fuck that. You put out a "totally awesome sick montage" it better be that. I'm not trying to knock him as a person.

It's not that serious brah.

If you haven't figured it out by now Moonman, these guys don't read anything you say without taking it completely out of context so they can attach a lawl to the end of their reply.

electricpirate said:
You would have made it too if not for those darn kids and their fusion cores lying about!
Yep. Now we know why those two coils are exactly there, of all places. I'm sure some level designer feels completely redeemed from my doomsplosion.

Ramirez said:
It's not that serious brah.

If you haven't figured it out by now Moonman, these guys don't read anything you say without taking it completely out of context so they can attach a lawl to the end of their reply.

Agreed sadly, despite the fact he makes some pretty legitimate points. I somehow think im playing a different game from some of those guys if they are truly willing to play off Moonmans comments for just a lawl response.

Playing in a 'Lone wolf' fashion is favourable when playing with and against randoms. Infact being spread out and covering the map is more beneficial when playing as a team. You ideally should never be clumped together in the same location.

Dax01 said:
Aw c'mon. At least make an arbitrary comparison interesting.
I don't think a chainsaw is gonna cut through a spartan's armor. Maybe next time Gears.

Gears 3 is going to be awesome. I just know it in my bones

Top Bottom