• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Alienshogun said:
Wall bouncing and the CQC with the shotty is what makes gears great. The shotty and combat with the shotty in gears is nothing like shotgun combat in any other game.
I remember headshotting people with the shotgun across the map in Gears 1. It was so wrong, yet so good at the same time.

Gears 1's multiplayer had a lot of flaws, but was extremely enjoyable. Gears 2's multiplayer had a lot of flaws, but frankly, was boring as shit.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Alienshogun said:
Wall bouncing and the CQC with the shotty is what makes gears great. The shotty and combat with the shotty in gears is nothing like shotgun combat in any other game.
My problem is that that is the game. It's shotty snipes. OK, it's not just that, I know that. I'd really like to try Gears with shotty as a pick up and not something in your back pocket.

Havok

Gears has always had issues that kept me from caring about it as a multiplayer game. The completely archaic multiplayer setup in the first game killed it for me ("okay see the one on Raven Down that says 3/8? okay 3 2 1 JOIN HOPE WE BOTH GET IN"), while the flat out broken nature of the second kept me from enjoying it (I hear that what, 7 (?) title updates in it's finally better).

So, about that Halo.

I wish they would scale up credit values for challenges and commendations. I got the dumb 'kill x vehicles in firefight' commendation going yesterday, which is really frustrating in Score Attack, by the way, and 250 credits popped up. Completely worthless when its taking multiple hundreds of thousands of credits to go up at this point.

Miggytronz

More Halo Faith stills on their FB page.....Also this gem.

208236_204802999543318_181345861889032_682222_7027494_n.jpg

Lingitiz

Tashi0106 said:
My problem is that that is the game. It's shotty snipes. OK, it's not just that, I know that. I'd really like to try Gears with shotty as a pick up and not something in your back pocket.
I always tried to fight the whole shotty battles thing in Gears by using Lancer of Hammerburst but eventually just gave in to trying to learn the Gnasher. Once they improved client side hit detection with it in Gears 2 TU6 it became alot more consistent and easier to learn.

I also never really found the sniper to be a problem unless the guy using it was godlike, or i left myself exposed.

Without the shotgun battles Gears mp would not be as unique as it is because it creates a really solid metagame rather than just unloading full clips into dudes from far away. Its the same as how the Pistol in Halo 1 and the BR in Halo 2 because the dominant weapons. It may not be for everyone but that 1v1 shotgun+wallbounce battle is what makes Gears really exciting. They do a good job of making sure people understand the style of gameplay in mp and sp are totally different, which is something i wish Reach tried to do instead of trying to merge both with armor abilities.

Anyways not to get too sidetracked but anyone been sinking alot of time into Community BTB? I'm really liking some of the maps so far, especially Rift.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i got my first (in a loooong time) ANGRY voice message from one TNTDYNAMIKE on reach last night - wish i could share the message. apparently, my incredible skills led my opponents to think i was somehow cheating, though details of how or what type of cheating were not mentioned, just multiple curse words about how bad a player i am to have to resort to such things!

here is the match
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=557103104&player=LoopOfHenle

it was 3 of us (actually 2 by midway through the match) vs. a team of 4. i had a good game, but not especially great (28 kills, 13 deaths) - mainly because TNTDYNAMIKE horded the rockets most of the match with his jetpack.

we still nearly won, but they squeaked out a victory in literally the final seconds by taking out my teammate (who went -17!)

Detox

Tashi0106 said:

Yeah... that would be like making every playlist on Halo have no DMR/BR as a starting weapon

see5harp

If I were that guy being surrounded by armor lock I might end up breaking a controller that night. Nothing in Reach irritates me more than a coordinated team with an armor locking front runner.

KevinRo

Tashi0106 said:

The shotty in gears is like the pistol in halo1. It's just the rape weapon, although I'm pretty disgusting with the pistol.

Willeth

Tashi0106 said:
I'd really like to try Gears with shotty as a pick up and not something in your back pocket.
Having a Gnasher as a starting weapon in Gears really levels the playing field. It's the default weapon that everyone goes to and has strategies built around it, and it balances itself by giving it to everyone. Having it as a pickup on the map would just lead to people controlling the map unfairly and baying for Gnasher-starts playlists, blaming Epic for their audacity to try and limit the players who had access to an all-round power weapon.

Willeth said:
Having a Gnasher as a starting weapon in Gears really levels the playing field. It's the default weapon that everyone goes to and has strategies built around it, and it balances itself by giving it to everyone. Having it as a pickup on the map would just lead to people controlling the map unfairly and baying for Gnasher-starts playlists, blaming Epic for their audacity to try and limit the players who had access to an all-round power weapon.

Sounds familiar lol.

I dislike the amount of shottie play that goes on in Gears, my connection isnt good enough for the shottie and I prefer going for the headshot. :p I prefer it when people try and use the Pistol, thats quite fun. Ill definitely give Gears 3 a try, I did like Gears 1 and 2, but Halo 3 kept me away from them so I didn't play them much.

def sim

So, the classic playlist almost makes a Halo 1 remake redundant. Those rumors aren't still floating around are they?

Also, forge halo 1 remake maps are really good. They should put that in all matchmaking.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
rance said:
So, the classic playlist almost makes a Halo 1 remake redundant. Those rumors aren't still floating around are they?

I'm against the idea of a Halo CEmake on principle but that statement is just stupid.

Dani said:
I'm against the idea of a Halo CEmake on principle but that statement is just stupid.

The thought of playing Halo CE online against other people makes me really excited :p.

I would prefer the graphics stay the same.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Tashi0106 said:

Well, depending on communication, team placement, and skill. You or someone in your team could be suppressing with lancer/hammerburst. But the meat of gears is close quarters killing. So most of what you will encounter will be shotgun duels, which is fine by me since shotgun duels in Gears are different than any other game (like I said).

I've always wanted a remake of the original Halo. I've griped and griped about it for a long time. But now it almost seems too late, though. 10 years? really? Anyway, one thing I really dislike about the classic playlist is the movement speed. It's so fast that I feel like I'm floating rather than running. I'd prefer the run speed to be toned down a bit and the games to be on the regular maps.

def sim

Dani said:

Ok?

Might be misreading this, but whatevs. I'm against a remake because we've been there, the series should move ahead, and I'm content with remade maps to fulfill our nostalgia needs.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Detox said:
Yeah... that would be like making every playlist on Halo have no DMR/BR as a starting weapon
So if that's the case then I guess Gears is just not for me. I do love the campaigns though.

Alien, I understand that there's more to the game than just people running around shooting each other with shot guns. I didn't mean to generalize the experience. I have had fun with the game. I guess it's just not what I thought it was going to be.

MrBig

NOKYARD said:
I'm not. I believe a Halo CE remake will be an excellent red herring.
I'm against it being developed by any commercial studio. It would just lead to them being coerced into making inexplicable changes to everything. And it would just be a waste of time.
What I really want to see is bungie's next game on pc and the remaining modding members from the Halo PC community taking up the remake in a slow-paced and exacting way.

NOKYARD

PsychoRaven said:
Either way it would be nice to finally get a straight answer. Simple yes or no.
Now why would they go and do that?

You keep your fans guessing, you keep your fans talking.

Answer all their questions and they go, "Oh, that's nice. Let me know when you launch."

Dax01 said:
Cool video. Going out of the level is cheating, though! :p
Going out of the level is not cheating in a Halo speed run. There are absolutely no restrictions imposed on our runners. If you can do it in normal game play, with standard equipment (no modding), it is fully allowed and highly encouraged.

Halo speed runs are not 'slightly quicker gameplay' as some believe. They are a source of video entertainment where our stable of highly skilled runners challenge themselves against Bungie's programmers, as a display of affection and respect for the game we love so much.

Having said that, we also offer full path speed runs where runners must stick to 'the intended path' and not skip areas on all missions with shortcuts. For people who, you know, like watching boring videos.

def sim

The classic playlist shows that a lot of retro maps can be made almost perfectly. With an improved Forge system, the more advanced ones (Boarding Action) will probably be possible. So, rather than doing a remake, why not make a new Halo game with more options that allow it to play just like CE? This way, purists who miss 3 shot god pistol can be satisfied while everyone else gets on with the new hotness.

NOKYARD said:

Answer all their questions and they go, "Oh, that's nice. Let me know when you launch."
Not even. Since when has this thread ever stopped talking about a Halo game after it's been announced?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
NOKYARD said:

The magic is to keep fans on their toes. Unfortunately we are right in between Halo announcements, or as I think to think of them, the dark times.

Right now we have no official confirmation on anything and this is when rumours are most rife. Even if a video was leaked detailing a full level of a new title, they'd still keep radio silence.

How long until E3? =)

I really hope 343i take Bungie approach of teasing the fans along during rough patches. During the old days, a few cryptic hints and maybe a mysterious codename would power the hype train forward for months. We haven't a good ole' tease since Reach's launch. Even the DLC was just suddenly shown without much or even any cryptic pre-reveal hinting.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Community Playdate: Xbox Elite Tweet Fleet

7393c3e7-77b1-49fe-a440-d53180aea405.PNG

ORGANIZER
Xbox Elite Tweet Fleet
GAME
Halo: Reach
DATE
April 8, 2011
TIME
8-11 PM ET

Event Information

The crack support team of the Xbox Elite Tweet Fleet will be on Xbox LIVE to play Gold members in Halo: Reach. They’ll be online April 8 from 8-11 PM ET to answer questions and do some serious game playing.

The Elite Tweet Fleet is a team of Xbox Support rock stars providing Xbox help and answers to all your Xbox questions via Twitter. Follow @XboxSupport for the latest Xbox updates and Xbox weekly Tweepstakes! The Elite Tweet Fleet is available Mon-Fri 6 AM – 9 PM PT (9 AM – Midnight ET) and Sat-Sun 10 AM – 6 PM PT (1 PM – 9 PM ET).

Gamertags

Send off an invite or friend request to the following gamertags:

XETF Phi
XETF Epsilon
XETF Zeta
XETF Beta
XETF Delta
XETF Upsilon
XETF Sigma
XETF Tau
XETF Xi
XETF Gamma
XETF Pi
XETF Omicron

Community Playdate: Xbox LIVE Enforcers

b95380c3-a88b-412d-922d-0031ebc95482.JPG

ORGANIZER
Xbox LIVE Enforcers
GAME
Halo: Reach
DATE
April 13, 2011
TIME
8-11 PM ET

Event Information

Members from the Xbox LIVE Enforcement Team will take a break from their duties to have some fun with Xbox LIVE Gold members in our Community Playdate. They’ll be online April 13 from 8-11 PM ET and play Halo: Reach so be sure to join them for the event.

The Xbox LIVE Enforcers actively monitor the Xbox LIVE service and respond to user complaints regarding violations of the Code of Conduct. This is the team responsible for safeguarding users’ experiences on Xbox LIVE by ensuring that disruptive behavior is found quickly and offending users are dealt with accordingly. Much like your local Police Department, the enforcers protect and serve the community with the goal of keeping Xbox LIVE fun and safe for everyone to enjoy. They are a fun loving group of professionals who empathize strongly with players and pour their hearts into their jobs every day. Now it’s time to have some fun!

Gamertags

Send off an invite or friend request to the following gamertags:

XBL BigBrother
XBL Sheriff
XBLPET Echo
XBLPET Hotel
XBLPET Lima
XBLPET Mike
XBLPET Oscar
XBLPET Quebec
XBLPET Sierra
XBLPET Victor
XBLPET Whiskey
XBLPET XRay
XBLPET Delta
XBLPET Juliet

Link

Dani said:
The magic is to keep fans on their toes. Unfortunately we are right in between Halo announcements, or as I think to think of them, the dark times.

Right now we have no official confirmation on anything and this is when rumours are most rife. Even if a video was leaked detailing a full level of a new title, they'd still keep radio silence.

How long until E3? =)

I really hope 343i take Bungie approach of teasing the fans along during rough patches. During the old days, a few cryptic hints and maybe a mysterious codename would power the hype train forward for months. We haven't a good ole' tease since Reach's launch. Even the DLC was just suddenly shown without much or even any cryptic pre-reveal hinting.
Mmh. I'm hyped for the first 343i game or for the next DLC. How they handle the community is awesome.

It would be nice to see a ARG campaign again like Ilovebees. And I guess we are going to see that with their first real product.

And E3 is in 8weeks.

Kuroyume

Banned
So why do them? I haven't done a single one. 5 or so multiplayer games will get you around the same amount of points, take you way less time, and is much less frustrating than anything you'll ever run into in those campaign runs. The worst AL/Evade+Banshee+Shitty host connection+Whatever that sucks in reach multi streak of games cannot compare to hours and hours of trying to somehow get a few feet past an encounter in a game and having to reset everytime you die.

Ramirez

rance said:
The classic playlist shows that a lot of retro maps can be made almost perfectly. With an improved Forge system, the more advanced ones (Boarding Action) will probably be possible. So, rather than doing a remake, why not make a new Halo game with more options that allow it to play just like CE? This way, purists who miss 3 shot god pistol can be satisfied while everyone else gets on with the new hotness.

The maps in classic are no where near perfect, ugh. Forge sucks and I hope it doesn't return in the next Halo.

Community BTB is the biggest laughing stock I believe I've ever taken part of in a videogame. Hey here's a Falcon, but let's put death barriers 10 feet into the air, lol.

NOKYARD said:
Going out of the level is not cheating in a Halo speed run. There are absolutely no restrictions imposed on our runners. If you can do it in normal game play, with standard equipment (no modding), it is fully allowed and highly encouraged.

Halo speed runs are not 'slightly quicker gameplay' as some believe. They are a source of video entertainment where our stable of highly skilled runners challenge themselves against Bungie's programmers, as a display of affection and respect for the game we love so much.

Having said that, we also offer full path speed runs where runners must stick to 'the intended path' and not skip areas on all missions with shortcuts. For people who, you know, like watching boring videos.
Just so we're clear, I was joking. Really. Enjoyed the video you linked to. It's interesting to watch how you progress through the levels as quickly as possible.

MrBig

Was listening to the Seatbelts Radio on last.fm (swing, jazz, instrumental, orchestral) and Martin O'Donnell & Michael Salvatori – Ghosts and Glass came up :D

Detox

Tashi0106 said:
So if that's the case then I guess Gears is just not for me. I do love the campaigns though.

Alien, I understand that there's more to the game than just people running around shooting each other with shot guns. I didn't mean to generalize the experience. I have had fun with the game. I guess it's just not what I thought it was going to be.

You're not the only one, EPIC wanted it to be a long range tactical shooter or something but Gears 1 turned into an awesome mix of shotguns, sniper and suppressing automatic weapons. They tried to find a middle ground in Gears 1 to get back to how they wanted, it didn't work and it seems like they're going to appease the fans this time.

def sim

I like them just fine. The most offending parts of the remade maps are the crap lifts and lack of fusion coils/cores, but everything else looked and played pretty well. But hey, that's just me.

Having community maps show up in matchmaking is really cool and can lead to some neat stuff in the future. It's not amazing at the moment, but the fact that they are putting in the effort to make it prominent is awesome. It's one of the things that make Halo stick out in comparison to other console shooters.

Ramirez said:
The maps in classic are no where near perfect, ugh. Forge sucks and I hope it doesn't return in the next Halo.

Community BTB is the biggest laughing stock I believe I've ever taken part of in a videogame. Hey here's a Falcon, but let's put death barriers 10 feet into the air, lol.

I was so distraught when I saw how low the soft kill was on Bendarius, but I still managed to have some fun games with a lot of great Falcon action. The warthog, on the other hand, is close to worthless on that map.

I do really like the use of that part of Forge World, though - it gave me a few cool ideas of my own.

Top Bottom