• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Detox said:
Yeah the COD symptom... The game where most of the playlists are objective based.

COD does it almost perfectly with every gametype having it's own playlist. It also helps that COD doesn't have rubbish objective gametypes like headhunter or stockpile. The only gripe with COD is you're sometimes placed in losing teams near the end of the game. Nevertheless losing isn't as important in COD and you can usually be satisfied with your own performance.

The playlists are objective because like you said there is a playlist for each gametype. Most of those playlists have minuscule population numbers compared to the deathmatch gametypes.

Anyways, I wasn't speaking of the playlists set up from the game, but the style of play from the game. Call of Duty is the most popular game out there, and its effect rubs of on people that play different shooters as well.

And another good point you bring up from COD, people don't really care if you lose. A large number of people in COD don't give two shits if they win the game, all they care about is there own K/D, and that includes objective games.

Detox

MrBig said:
:lol the only objective game in CoD that isn't actually just about kill people is Hardcore S&D. Which was unsurprisingly the only thing I enjoyed about MW.
Why isn't the guys getting kills in COD objective similar to obj games in halo where there is usually 2 guys taking the slayer role in a 4v4?

I don't play the slayer gametypes in COD and also play to win. Winning in objective isn't just killing, although it's almost impossible to win without having the most kills. COD obj usually is locking down the chokepoints and getting the obj to the target. Or locking down the objective and the opposing teams spawn.

I haven't played one game of COD where either team has disregarded the objective and just gone for kills. Maybe that's because I play with friends and it matches with other party's who also play to win.

EDIT: @steel I have no idea of the COD non-slayer playlists will check later but I'll hazard a guess they match Reach's team slayer and I have never had a problem finding a match in their 'minuscule' playlists.

Steelyuhas said:
The playlists are objective because like you said there is a playlist for each gametype. Most of those playlists have minuscule population numbers compared to the deathmatch gametypes.
I wonder how the population for MW2's objective playlists compare to Reach's most popular playlists.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
LAuGU.png

After last week's shitty Minitage, let's call this, "The Return"

I put juices to work this past week. I had a lot of clips. Thanks again to him for capturing in GLORIOUS HD. And again, thanks to letters for the banner. Sexy as always.

I hope you guys enjoy this. Watch in HD for maximum sexiness. Any comments or criticisms are welcome.

Tashi's Weekly Montage Series - 03 - The Return

Detox said:
EDIT: @steel I have no idea of the COD non-slayer playlists will check later but I'll hazard a guess they match Reach's team slayer and I have never had a problem finding a match in their 'minuscule' playlists.

Some of them do (Domination, S&D), and some of them are pretty low. The actual numbers aren't very easy to compare though because the number of players playing COD is so much more than Reach.

I'm sure you play COD objective to win, I do when I play it as well, but the majority of players don't seem to.

I feel like we've have strayed from the point I was trying to make though. Call of Duty's gameplay is significantly simpler than Halo's and teamwork is much less prevalent. That style of play has rubbed off on players, and has affected how some of the population base of Reach feels about objective games, and Halo in general, but objective games especially because they require so much teamwork instead of just "shooting shit".

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Tashi0106 said:
LAuGU.png

I put juices to work this past week. I had a lot of clips. Thanks again to him for capturing in GLORIOUS HD. And again, thanks to letters for the banner. Sexy as always.

I hope you guys enjoy this. Watch in HD for maximum sexiness. Any comments or criticisms are welcome.

Tashi's Weekly Montage Series - 03 - The Return

The music went from fucktastic to shitacular around the two minute mark. Totally ruined the pumping mood the clips were generating. =/

Nice tip of the hat to Dax with the Pro-Pipe inclusion.

GhaleonEB said:
Dax, Yeti, we down for the LASO run in an hour and a half? I'm heading home now. Just got an email from my daughter, she's fired up to try it.

I will try to make it. Gotta get my disc from my brother first.

Detox

Steel I agree with your last point and I guess I took your statement at face value. Anyway I still think Bungie should cut out the shit obj games like stockpile and headhunter and really work on trimming it down to flag, hill and assault. Remove some of the AA's like drop shield and evade (not sure if they've already done this) they could have a decent population on team objective.

As for the playlists Reach is set in stone but I would suggest 343 take a look at SC2. I'm not sure exactly how that game works but when me and a friend want to play a custom game we check the browser join and other people can also join us. It allows Blizzard to keep the actual main ladder barebones while accommodating the crazier gametypes. I know it's harder to define classic halo but I would suggest 4v4 slayer, objective (flag, hill and assault) and a 6v6 or 8v8 whichever the BTB guys prefer and every other gametype accessible through something similar to the custom game browser or some sort of playlist like in COD.

Tashi

Dani said:
The music went from fucktastic to shitacular around the two minute mark. Totally ruined the pumping mood the clips were generating. =/

Nice tip of the hat to Dax with the Pro-Pipe inclusion.
Wait, is fucktastic good? Lol. The music is very hard to pick. People will always have polarized opinions about it. I just try to pick what I think sounds good and goes well with a montage.

Karl2177

Tashi0106 said:
Wait, is fucktastic good? Lol. The music is very hard to pick. People will always have polarized opinions about it. I just try to pick what I think sounds good and goes well with a montage.
It started off pretty good, but the flow changed so noticeably that it stood out awkwardly.

GhaleonEB said:
Dax, Yeti, we down for the LASO run in an hour and a half? I'm heading home now. Just got an email from my daughter, she's fired up to try it.
Yeah, I'm still up for it.

Will edit this post as soon as I finished watching Tashi's montage.

Edit: fuck it, I'll just make another post.

Shit getting better but still undewhelming on an entertainment level. Add some pop to it with a bit more effects and try some new transitions maybe a little microsynching of clips to headshots. Did you try out Vegas? Still though getting a lot better than weeks 1 and 2. Although week 1 was all SD, lets not even talk about that.

Think of entertaining them more than showing off your skillset. Its about the audience, we all know you're good.

Get sending week 4 clips meow.

-Yeti said:
Ghaleon, Dax, I won't be able to make it. My bro is being stupid. :(
Fucking thing sucks, yo. Sorry you can't make it.

Regarding Tashi's montage:
1. Pro Pipe kill. Yesssssss.
2. Fuck yes! Another one! Sick.
3. I agree with Danit that the music change is kind of jarring.
4. I really like the way you did the intro.

feel

Tashi0106 said:
http://imgur.com/LAuGU.png[IMG]

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3njzZ_srXqA"]Tashi's Weekly Montage Series - 03 - The Return[/URL][/QUOTE]
That was really nice. :)
Props to you and juices for the topnotch work.

My only criticism is that I think the already busy title doesn't mix well with the busy forge geometry, so maybe you could just have it in a solid bright background that you fade into and out from a few seconds into the montage between clips.

And I'd like to point out that the updated MLG playlist is simply amazing now that they have a solid number of fantastic maps rotating. I spend most of my time there now, even if I'm getting my ass kicked most of the time, rest of MM just feels like a really weak managing effort in comparison. It's just oldschool competitive Halo in the purest form, soooooo good. <3

Okay I think I just settled this people hate objective thing.

Just got two options in the Defiant Playlist (don't remember what the third one was, no one voted for it).
Slayer (AR starts) Highlands
Multiflag (DMR starts) Highlands

I voted for flag, so that totaled the flag votes at 1. Slayer, 10 votes.

How do a lot of you feel about the Halo:Reach campaign?

It happens to be one of my favorites, but I doubt other people share the same opinion :p

Karl2177

A27_StarWolf said:

It happens to be one of my favorites, but I doubt other people share the same opinion :p
Pretty weak. I think it was Ghaleon that made the point of weapons being available when you needed them, thus defeating the challenge of the 2 weapon system. The dialogue was awful. The objectives seemed like they were always defend a point for a few minutes, go destroy an AA gun, or go press a button. They messed with established book canon. I could go more in depth, but I'm going to play some Crysis 2 now.

Kibbles

Ugh @ The Cage/Uncaged. I'm sick of playing that shit all the time on Snipers, take that crap out.

[edit] Wow, had to chose between Uncanged and Boardwalk, two of the ugliest maps ever.

Karl2177 said:
Pretty weak. I think it was Ghaleon that made the point of weapons being available when you needed them, thus defeating the challenge of the 2 weapon system. The dialogue was awful. The objectives seemed like they were always defend a point for a few minutes, go destroy an AA gun, or go press a button. They messed with established book canon. I could go more in depth, but I'm going to play some Crysis 2 now.

BUNGIE created halo so BUNGIE may change the cannon however they decide. As far as I am concerned Bungie had the ultimate say when it comes to cannon.

Also I thought the dialogue was fine, in particular I really enjoyed the scene where Kat was proposing her idea to take out the Covenant ship, and Emile said: "You're scary, you know that?"

Tawpgun

A27_StarWolf said:
BUNGIE created halo so BUNGIE may change the cannon however they decide. As far as I am concerned Bungie had the ultimate say when it comes to cannon.

Also I thought the dialogue was fine, in particular I really enjoyed the scene where Kat was proposing her idea to take out the Covenant ship, and Emile said: "You're scary, you know that?"

So it's OK for George Lucas to say, hey, you know that Death Star Trench Run? That never really happened. See, what happened was Luke boarded the Deathstar, fought Vader, and destroyed it from within.

If someone makes an amazing Universe they need to stay consistent with it.

Also, for campaigns...

Halo 2 > Halo CE > ODST = Reach > Halo 3 for me.

I'm just kind of disappointed with the story telling after H2. Halo 2 opened up this HUGE universe for us. We got a deeper understanding of everything. We had memorable fights in memorable locations. Exploration, ect ect. We got to see a very rare case of actual Halo Character Development with the Arbiter. It made the universe shine. I was eager to find out what was going to happen next

In Halo CE we had basically a Sci-Fi-Action-Myster-Shooter. We are simply dropped into this universe with no background knowledge and throughout the game you are always on Halo, solving its mysteries with the survivors of the POA. You feel immersed in the environment of this ring world and want to find out more about it.

Halo 3 kind of sloppily finished the trilogy. We learned almost nothing new. It just offered an ending. Not to mentions the campaign was kind of boring imo, compared to the others. I wasn't playing to find out what was going to happen in the next mission, I played to find out how the trilogy was going to wrap up.

ODST had good ideas. The amazing hub world, unique story telling, concentrated, human tale. What we got was a cool, but unrealized hub world. I was expecting stealth to play a larger role. I was expecting silenced weapons to act like silenced weapons... nope. But the story telling was decent, even if it was a bit cheesy especially with the tacky love story attached. I LOVED the audio logs though. LOVED them. But we still got a short campaign and I wasn't attached to any of the characters at all.

Reach was overhyped from a campaign perspective. THE EPIC BATTLE FOR REACH. A covenant fleet facing off against Humanities most powerful military planet. It was suppose to be a story of tragedy. Civilians losing lives, tough choices, small victories and heartbreaking defeats. Reach tried to do all of this. It waded into these subjects but never really jumped in. I could care less for the civilians. Most of Noble was just there. No character development, and the only Spartan I got attached to was Jorge... who was killed off first.

They deviated greatly from the book, and I'd still like explanations for a lot of the weird inconsistencies with canon. Covenant on Reach for a month before the Fall. Where the hell is the entire human fleet at the supposed military capital of humanity. Where are the orbital guns? Why is this group of Spartan III's differant than the other III's. Why are they on Reach? Why the hell is Jorge with them?

I feel like Reach tried for greatness, but missed terribly. It was still a fun experience, but it could have been so much more.

If Bungie does a Halo 4 with Master Chief on the forerunner planet, I see incredible potential for success. Coinciding with the Forerunner Book Saga, we could learn more about the forerunners. Perhaps even introduce the precursors. Expand the flood (iffy on bringing them back) expand on Mendicant Bias, Cortana Rampancy, Forerunner Combat Robots. Forerunner Armor and Weaponry (Class 12 Combat Suit Multiplayer. Sup faster gameplay)

ElRenoRaven

A27_StarWolf said:

I'm with you on that. I have the same thought on Star Wars for example. The creators of said universe have every right to retcon it how they see fit. However we as consumers have every right to buy or not buy it too based off those retcons. Personally the only real retcon I saw was the Pillar of Autumn. That didn't bother me though.

Now onto the topic of Reach I loved it. Is it perfect? No. I am not a big fan of the armor abilites at all. Even in campaign. Story wise it was a damn good story though. Personally I rate Reach right there behind Halo and Halo 3.

For me it goes something like this.

Halo and Halo 3 - 9.5 (no game is perfect and I only do .5's)
ODST, Reach - 9.0
Halo 2 - 8.5

wwm0nkey

A27_StarWolf said:

Fuck that shit, Reach made me rage hard about how they fucked up parts of The Fall of Reach.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
This will be completely random, but what the hell, it's been on my mind for a while (Halo is always on my mind :) )

After having long thoughts while driving home from my University about Halo's campaigns and the story each of them told, I've come to the conclusion that Master Chief is THE best character in the Halo series for storytelling. As a whole, I love the Chief and the character he brings him with, but in terms of storytelling, he's much stronger. The baggage he brings with him range from Forerunner back-stories, Blue Team during the events of Reach (and him on the MAC Cannon) and the Covenant-Flood-UNSC three-way story arc.

Another great aspect about him is his leadership. You really do feel like a badass, like someone who the UNSC and all the other supporting characters in the game need during the events of CE, Halo 2 and Halo 3. You're literally strong and in control. With characters like The Rookie and Noble Six, not so much.

When Halo 3 came out, I was still enjoying the Chief's presence and playing as him, although, I was a little excited at the idea of being in someone else's shoes for a new Halo game when Halo 3: ODST was announced.

Then Halo 3: ODST and Reach came out and my feeling completely changed. You became an expendable character; "Just another guy". You were weaker, slower, didn't say as much, if anything, as the Chief, not a leader and simply a replacement for a previous character in your specific squad that died.

In Saints Row 1, you started out as just an average gang recruit and had no dialogue whatsoever in the game. I thought that was boring and uneventful. I understood the premise behind it considering it was the first game in the series and all, but it was still boring none the less. Then came Saints Row 2 where your character had dialogue, had attitude and best of all, became a big name in the Third Street Saints gang. You became somebody.

I'm very excited at the prospects of playing as the Chief again because of the heavy fiction that his character always brings to the table (although it's going to be tough to top the story fiction that was present in Halo 2 with the Flood, the Arbiter back-story, the Prophets, the Brutes' rising, the Elites revolting, etc...)

tl;dr: I love Master Chief and can't wait to play as him again.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
From a gameplay perspective, Reach can sit happily right up there with previous Halo titles. The sandbox really shines in the game within the Campaign space with the possible exception of the Sabre piloting (a real cinematic roller-coaster the first time but the space environment is totally devoid of variety which makes repeated playthroughs identical and by Halo's own standards, weak) and the occasional defend this position and insert Firefight waves of X enemies at player until time has passed/x amount of enemies are defeated.

What I feel was disappointing was the actual story itself. I have no complaints with Bungie talking creative liberties with established canon, it's to be expected if not just a tad gratuitous in places. Okay, some of the stuff poops on the canon and it really rubs me the wrong way but it was somewhat expected. It was the limited character development, the jarring leaps in the time frame of events, it was the wonky juxtaposition of certain characters' reactions and behaviours and the events unfolding around them. The silly plot devices.

Where was the promised epic battles between the Covenant and UNSC armies? We caught glimpses of minor skirmishes here and there. We didn't even get to see Reach being glassed. The Covenant arrive, Noble 6 has helped kick off a certain chain of events... and then.... what? The Lone Wolf level was fantastic when I first played it. It was a great way of showing the futility of the situation and how head on a Spartan faces death. But when revisiting the situation, I didn't appreciate the cut from the final encounter to it. It's just another time skip to further the game and place the player in a specific situation. No real set up. Would it have really hurt to show Noble 6 getting to that point in a mini montage cut scene? It reminded me of Noble 6 returning to Reach when Jorge died. Time skip, you are now jet packing across a city. First mission, Covenant on Reach. Time skip. Sword Base. Time skip. Time skip. Time skip.

There are frequent moments in the Campaign's where you just want to hit the Pause button and smack the characters on the back of the head. Suicidally stupid Carter with his mysterious blood spatters. Kat's death. Latchkey thingajig. Elite Zealots.

In one of the Vidocs Bungie said they designed the levels first and fit the story around them. I don't doubt it at all.

Karl2177

A27_StarWolf said:
Well Bungie did not directly write that book now did they?
So are you saying that later on they decide to make a game based on the Attack on Harvest, and Bungie says Johnson wasn't there Master Chief was and the Covenant only sent Hunters, it'd be fine, even though Joesph Staten wrote the book? No. There was already established canon. Hell, Fall of Reach deserves to have Halo in its name, Reach doesn't.

As for my input on campaigns, H2 = H:CE > H3 > ODST > Reach.

Halo 2 had the great story line of Arbiter, and the view from the Covenant perspective. Gameplay rarely stood out as bad. Halo CE had the mystery. It really felt like exploring a whole new world, which is something barely any Sci-Fi game can do correctly.
see Mass Effect for greatness in that aspect

Halo 3 forced you to look from another perspective to feel that mystery. It shouldn't have to do that, but when you get to it that mystery is great. Gameplay-wise it was phenomenal. Great environments. ODST was a great concept, but Bungie flopped on this one. Tawpgun is right in how stealth should have been a bigger element.

Reach, as I mentioned before, is another failed concept. Everything seemed like it was half-assed.

ElRenoRaven

Domino Theory said:
This will be completely random, but what the hell, it's been on my mind for a while (Halo is always on my mind :) )

After having long thoughts while driving home from my University about Halo's campaigns and the story each of them told, I've come to the conclusion that Master Chief is THE best character in the Halo series for storytelling. As a whole, I love the Chief and the character he brings him with, but in terms of storytelling, he's much stronger. The baggage he brings with him range from Forerunner back-stories, Blue Team during the events of Reach (and him on the MAC Cannon) and the Covenant-Flood-UNSC three-way story arc.

Another great aspect about him is his leadership. You really do feel like a badass, like someone who the UNSC and all the other supporting characters in the game need during the events of CE, Halo 2 and Halo 3. You're literally strong and in control. With characters like The Rookie and Noble Six, not so much.

When Halo 3 came out, I was still enjoying the Chief's presence and playing as him, although, I was a little excited at the idea of being in someone else's shoes for a new Halo game when Halo 3: ODST was announced.

Then Halo 3: ODST and Reach came out and my feeling completely changed. You became an expendable character; "Just another guy". You were weaker, slower, didn't say as much, if anything, as the Chief, not a leader and simply a replacement for a previous character in your specific squad that died.

In Saints Row 1, you started out as just an average gang recruit and had no dialogue whatsoever in the game. I thought that was boring and uneventful. I understood the premise behind it considering it was the first game in the series and all, but it was still boring none the less. Then came Saints Row 2 where your character had dialogue, had attitude and best of all, became a big name in the Third Street Saints gang. You became somebody.

I'm very excited at the prospects of playing as the Chief again because of the heavy fiction that his character always brings to the table (although it's going to be tough to top the story fiction that was present in Halo 2 with the Flood, the Arbiter back-story, the Prophets, the Brutes' rising, the Elites revolting, etc...)

tl;dr: I love Master Chief and can't wait to play as him again.

I agree but disagree with you at the same time. While i love the Chief and would kill to play as him again, I also hate the idea of anyone but Bungie continuing his story. So I'm very torn on the fact that Chief's story will continue. We all know it will regardless of what we think though. So all we can do is hope it lives up to the legacy and storyline that Bungie has given us this far with regards to him.

wwm0nkey

A27_StarWolf said:
Well Bungie did not directly write that book now did they?
I don't care The Fall of Reach was just perfect in every way and to Bungie it seemed like "Meh fuck that shit"

Really I would have wished Reach was taken from the perspective of the Spartan II's that crashed landed on Reach right when the planet hit hell.

Tawpgun

I really wished ODST made you feel REALLY weak. I still felt powerful as hell. I was just expecting the hub world to be a place where you picked your fights carefully and scavenged for resources. I thought the Super would do a bit more as well.

Shame the silencers were just for show.

One more thing, I want to see if anyone from HaloGAF will nostalgia at this....

Mythica

Kuroyume

Banned
I thought the campaign was great. Had a few levels that reminded me of the old games and the jetpack areas while forced offered something fresh there.

I didn't like that there wasn't that much reason to explore. In Halo 3 you had the skulls to track down and even though I used a guide to see where they were it was fun trying to get them. There's nothing like that in Reach outside of some dull data pads. I thought maybe they should have placed some armor pieces around the levels for people to track down which would then unlock in the armory, but they didn't do that. Stuff like that would have been really nice to have there.

I didn't like Reach as a setting. The human environments look much better than the awful stuff in Halo 3 but I still didn't care for it because it was all pretty damn boring. I want the next game to have all forerunner environments or just something new because I'm sick of running through factories and warehouses.

Tunavi

Banned
Aside from combat evolved, every Halo game Bungie has made has had the wonderful ideas in concept, but they weren't executed the way they should have been.

Crucio

wwm0nkey said:
depending on the number of surveys you do you get a rank on expertzone and stuff becomes cheaper. I can get H2V for like $7.90
Thats pretty epic. Does Expertzone work in Canada? I'll have to let some friends know if it does.
wwm0nkey said:
Im pretty sure but you need to be employed at a place that sells video games like GameStop or Bestbuy.

You get a lot of great deals on that site though.
Great, I've got a friend that works for Gamestop(EBGames). I'll make sure she knows about it!
PsychoRaven said:
I agree but disagree with you at the same time. While i love the Chief and would kill to play as him again, I also hate the idea of anyone but Bungie continuing his story. So I'm very torn on the fact that Chief's story will continue. We all know it will regardless of what we think though. So all we can do is hope it lives up to the legacy and storyline that Bungie has given us this far with regards to him.
I'm not sure you understand how things are rolling with Halo. Most people that work for 343i/Certain Affinity have been a part of Halo since the beginning. I believe the Chief's story is in good hands.

J-Roderton

A27_StarWolf said:

I used to play Campaign matchmaking quite a bit. I loved the campaign, maybe just as much as the other ones. I haven't gotten tired of it yet.

wwm0nkey

Crucio said:
Thats pretty epic. Does Expertzone work in Canada? I'll have to let some friends know if it does.
Im pretty sure but you need to be employed at a place that sells video games like GameStop or Bestbuy.

You get a lot of great deals on that site though.

Tashi

Ahhhh OK. I understand the complaints about the music now.

Letters, I noticed that too. I couldn't make a nice solution in time and I didn't want to ask you again. lol. I just have to make a nice video intro that I can use every time.

Juices. I wanna stick with Premiere. I wanna get really good at using that program. Do you have examples of effects you think are cool. I'm honestly not huge on effects. I'm open to try them though if I think they make the montage better.

Ramirez

Domino Theory said:
Holy shit, CafePress has a bunch of nice Halo t-shirts. I think I migh have to pick this up: http://www.cafepress.com/+got_halo_tshirt,123441265

Speaking of, there's a local t-shirt print shop next to me and I'm going to go there this weekend and get a custom-made Halo shirt. :D

Is "I'm on TJ Ramirez's Friends List" really Halo related though?

These are awesome however,

http://www.cafepress.com/+i_love_my_wife_xbox_funny_tshirt,427511989

http://www.cafepress.com/+skills_baby_onesie,259049752

Top Bottom