• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Hey You

If that thread is true, I wonder how much mulah Bungie got from Sony for the reveal.

Sticking with Halo, what the hell is up with the blue leaves challenges? Is Bungie just wanting some more candidates for the banhammer?

The House of Blue Leaves
– Kill 188 enemies in a single Firefight Matchmaking game on Heroic – 1400 cR

Edit: Damn beaten by Ghal by a few seconds.

Steelyuhas said:
OH LAWD

Junior member status is for scrubs!

Congrats!

Mikasangelos said:
I dunno HALO is always gonna have a place in my heart because I met my wife at a Halo LAN party some 8 years ago. We have a saying "You had me at Halo".

Heh, awesome.

Whatever Bungie's next game is, unless there is a huge amount of platform-exclusive content/features I'll probably just get it for 360, since that's where my XBL friends list is. (And I'll probably end up getting the PC version too, maybe after the first price drop.) Although it is interesting to see the difference between the 360 and PS3 versions of Portal 2.

Kujo

Dax01 said:
Exaggeration like this doesn't help anyone.
u mad

wwm0nkey said:
The SP was great, just the way it ended made it all feel like filler though.
I wonder how Halo 4 should end, I mean gameplay wise. We've already had 2 ground vehicle escapes, a boss fight, a shooting gallery and a long firefight session. Halo 4 should have a water escape with that prototype boat or MC on a jet ski

The Real Napsta said:
Campaigns:

CE > ODST > Reach > 3 > 2

MP

CE > 2 > 3 > Reach
Take out ODST since I was never really a huge fan, and our thinking is identical. Kinda scary.

A story is only as strong as a game's campaign mode is fun to play through... I just did not enjoy the campaign in Halo2 at all. I can see how people appreciated it for the story, but I found most of the levels uninspiring and full of enemies that I thought were more of a nuisance than fun to take out. This is the game where hunters changed from big and dangerous, but fun to kill, to big and dangerous and nothing more than meat bags. I've never liked brutes (for the same reason as hunters in halo2), and buggers/drones just annoy me. Skirmishers in Reach also carry that frustrating experience where I know I'm hitting my shots, but the code in Reach tells me I'm not. I hate enemies that waste my time or that feel like they are in the game just to be there (take up space) or add filler.

Also, I don't like characters in the campaign that I'm supposed to be able to identify with or relate to, but in-game they are invincible. The Arbiter in Halo2 and all the Spartans in Reach are invincible in each level. Nothing alienates me from caring about my teammates more... Letting Keyes die in Halo:CE was great, or killing him myself was even better. Also I really digged the health of elites in Halo:CE. Heroic difficulty was perfect. I always wanted a legendary setting that provided more elites than are present on heroic difficulty, but still have the same amount of health and shields. Legendary added more enemies, but made them stupid strong. That's fine for the ultimate challenge, I guess, but I've lamented many times that there wasn't one more in-between difficulty setting.

I still think the pistol was the perfect complimentary weapon for campaign. No other weapon, aside from maybe the sniper rifle, has been so satisfying to use in Halo.

Perhaps it is because I love Firefly and BSG, but I was able to get attach ted to the ODST characters than any other character in a Halo campaign.

I don't know why you guys hate on Halo 2's campaign, the cliffhanger was freaking awesome.

also, what is this about Sony? o_O

Mojo said:
u mad

I wonder how Halo 4 should end, I mean gameplay wise. We've already had 2 ground vehicle escapes, a boss fight, a shooting gallery and a long firefight session. Halo 4 should have a water escape with that prototype boat or MC on a jet ski

The only way to end a halo game is with a driving mission

I enjoyed ODSTs main story, the character stuff was super cheesy to me though. I love Nathan Fillion and quite like Tricia Helfer but I wasn't particular arsed about their characters.

Personally I still really love Halo 1's story, I loved all the twists and turns when I first played it. There's something to be said for the simplicity of it too. I do adore the expanded fiction of Halo though and I really liked 2 and Reach's story's alot. 3's fell kinda flat I thought, it had some cool moments but I don't find it to be terribly memorable.

wwm0nkey said:
Halo: Faith shot before and after CGI

121ssh2.jpg

Sandbox? =P

Im looking forward to seeing more material from Halo Faith. I really hope they included that Elite suit.

On another note, Reach still really needs some more MP environments. Sandy and snowy areas would both be nice with a decent art direction. Also, maybe something swampy/foresty.

O D I N

Demoncarnotaur said:
Sandbox? =P

Im looking forward to seeing more material from Halo Faith. I really hope they included that Elite suit.

On another note, Reach still really needs some more MP environments. Sandy and snowy areas would both be nice with a decent art direction. Also, maybe something swampy/foresty.

Hey Frankie/343, any chance we can get a map that's based on Onyx? :D

Can someone give me a reasonable explaination as to why radar is disabled in Score Attack? It just makes it annoying to play.

Score Attack is my preferred method of getting Firefight challenges, since my internet makes matchmaking firefight a pretty shit experience. But with no radar it really is a chore sometimes as you have to just aimlessly wander around the maps looking for random enemies who've run off.

I'm confused over who handles the defiant maps mm configurations, is it bungie or 343?

I ask because the recent weapon timer and ammo changes have undoubtedly improved Highlands. BUT I can only assume it was a lunatic who thought it would be a good idea to change the slayer loadout from DMR starts to pistol/AR. After a few games last night of constantly spawning then going through the rigmarole of looking for a deemer I literally ended up spraying my AR in to the floor in frustration repeating the words 'this is so boring this is so boring this is so boring'.

A map as huge as Highlands needs a DMR start. Same as Breakpoint which for some reason has changed to AR starts as well.

Miggytronz

thee henery said:
I'm confused over who handles the defiant maps mm configurations, is it bungie or 343?

I ask because the recent weapon timer and ammo changes have undoubtedly improved Highlands. BUT I can only assume it was a lunatic who thought it would be a good idea to change the slayer loadout from DMR starts to pistol/AR. After a few games last night of constantly spawning then going through the rigmarole of looking for a deemer I literally ended up spraying my AR in to the floor in frustration repeating the words 'this is so boring this is so boring this is so boring'.

A map as huge as Highlands needs a DMR start. Same as Breakpoint which for some reason has changed to AR starts as well.

343i

feel

randomlyrossy said:
Can someone give me a reasonable explaination as to why radar is disabled in Score Attack? It just makes it annoying to play.

Score Attack is my preferred method of getting Firefight challenges, since my internet makes matchmaking firefight a pretty shit experience. But with no radar it really is a chore sometimes as you have to just aimlessly wander around the maps looking for random enemies who've run off.
Firing shots into the air usually attracts their attention and makes them start walking in your direction.

Ramirez

Kajiba said:
Last night I think I went against a couple of people on gaf in some random defiant map pack game. Slightly live and Tj Ram I believe. I wanted to get the flag but your team said no =(....

We got bodied.

I'm sure your team managed to kill TJ Trasher though, he sucks.

GhaleonEB

randomlyrossy said:

To make it more challenging. Situational awareness is one element of the challenge.

Be aware of the squad mechanisms.

Enemies are organized into groups of four, and each will attack one at a time, unless you close distance and provoke them. If you hang back and keep track of how many squads you're taking out, and how many enemies from each squad, you'll have no problem. If no one advances, then someone got stuck and you'll need to find them. In which case they won't be moving and thus wouldn't show up on radar anyway.

Also, the cynic in me is very amused by the 188 kills in one game challenge. Firefight Limited is so loaded with idlers, poor players and quitters that the Challenge is possible when it otherwise would not be. We have a Challenge that is designed around the quality of the matchmaking pool. :lol

(I'd still rather have longer games....)

Striker

thee henery said:

I think BTB still uses DMR starts in its loadouts, so if you get it in there rather than the Defiant map pack, you'll get DMR loadouts.

Sucks we have to wait until May for BTB to get its actual changes.

Just watched the end of Empire Strikes Back and it's sooo good. Anytime I watch the end scene, with Vader and Luke battling it out, all I see are forerunner structures everywhere. I half expect the master chief to appear. Now time for some Reach and to experience the serious imbalance in weapons. HOoray!!

Ramirez

Striker said:
I think BTB still uses DMR starts in its loadouts, so if you get it in there rather than the Defiant map pack, you'll get DMR loadouts.

Sucks we have to wait until May for BTB to get its actual changes.

Man, crucial changes like flag return times and removing headhunter takes time.

I also don't understand why Evade is removed from Arena, but left in Objective and others, it's just as annoying in any of the other playlists and makes combat goofy.

Deputy Moonman said:
Just watched the end of Empire Strikes Back and it's sooo good. Anytime I watch the end scene, with Vader and Luke battling it out, all I see are forerunner structures everywhere. I half expect the master chief to appear. Now time for some Reach and to experience the serious imbalance in weapons. HOoray!!
What the fuck is this?

This has to be a joke post.

Havok

Ramirez said:
Man, crucial changes like flag return times and removing headhunter takes time.

I also don't understand why Evade is removed from Arena, but left in Objective and others, it's just as annoying in any of the other playlists and makes combat goofy.
How else would you combat Drop Shield(s)? C'mon now.

Played a game on Holdout for the Challenge today. My heart cried. It wanted to play Unearthed. :/ Anyone felt/feel the same if you play on a Disc-shipped FF map?

GhaleonEB said:
Kill 188 enemies in a single Firefight Matchmaking game on Heroic.​
This actually requires a bit of luck - you need to either only get matched up with one other player, or have the rest of the team idle or drop. Before drop pods there are around 330 enemies in a base Set of Firefight, before the bonus round. I've pulled off more than 188 many times but it requires the rest of the team's lack of participation.

Now if we had a way to play longer games in Firefight matchmaking...
Haven't been able to get more than 159, and that was with only one other dude. Oh well, if I get it, I get it.

Also found out that there's an exploit on Holdout where idlers/AFK/whatever can perch and never be touched. This guy was actually playing, but I noticed he was able to get up to where the MAC cannon is with relative ease.

2mo6ov9.jpg

Lingitiz

First firefight arcade game today i get rocketfight on holdout and all my teammates quit, allowing me to mop up all the challenges. Today must be a good day.

Hypertrooper said:
Played a game on Holdout for the Challenge today. My heart cried. It wanted to play Unearthed. :/ Anyone felt/feel the same if you play on a Disc-shipped FF map?
Yeah everytime i get Unearthed its like seeing a legendary pokemon in the wild or something.

Genesis Knight said:
Haha, calm down. Even if it wasn't, what's it to you? Funny either way.
I would be able to calm down if I got angry over something in the first place. It's funny in that it doesn't make any sense, sure. "Hey you guys I'm going to go play a game that I don't enjoy. Then I'm going to come back and complain about it!"
Genesis Knight said:
Perhaps if you're solidly Halo DF enough, criticism can't be anything other than a joke.
'Kay. So now I'm "solidly Halo DF." Gotcha.

This Saturday, 2old2play will run into battle against the fearless PMS Clan. It's great to hear that two of my favorite demographic-defying communities will be playing together. :^)

Move over, bounce house: The GameTruck just pulled into town. This news piece from The Sacramento Bee features a giant 32-foot-long gaming truck that can be rented out for parties. One of the most popular games for teenagers is Halo: Reach. Is it sad that I want this at my next birthday party? The answer is yes.

I didn't see this posted anywhere, but probably for a good reason. This video highlights my issue with most montages/clip shows. MLG posted a Top 10 video a few days ago, and nine out of the 10 clips featured our favorite Highlands weapon, the sniper rifle. My personal favorite is No. 5. It looks like he might use the DMR the whole time, but wait, he picks up a sniper! Clip No. 1 is actually worthy of being in the top spot.

GhaleonEB said:
To make it more challenging. Situational awareness is one element of the challenge.

Be aware of the squad mechanisms.

Enemies are organized into groups of four, and each will attack one at a time, unless you close distance and provoke them. If you hang back and keep track of how many squads you're taking out, and how many enemies from each squad, you'll have no problem. If no one advances, then someone got stuck and you'll need to find them. In which case they won't be moving and thus wouldn't show up on radar anyway.

Also, the cynic in me is very amused by the 188 kills in one game challenge. Firefight Limited is so loaded with idlers, poor players and quitters that the Challenge is possible when it otherwise would not be. We have a Challenge that is designed around the quality of the matchmaking pool. :lol

(I'd still rather have longer games....)

See I don't think it needs to be more challenging. Having a radar wouldn't make it drastically easier.

Why does the regular Firefight playlist still have it? It seems to me if any firefight match needed more of a challenge it'd be the ones where 4 people are playing at once.

Kuroyume said:
343 asked for AR instead of DMR starts on Highlands? Wow, it's already over for Halo 4.

This was what I was trying to determine. Not gonna make any rash statements but if it was 343 who asked for ar starts then its a bit scary.

@Striker
I would play BTB but for the problems you lament on a daily basis. Also I seem to come up against a full team of good players whilst I'm with randoms which in my opinion shouldn't happen as it leads to a mass exodus of said randoms when getting repeatedly massacred - it is literally pointless.

Ramirez

I don't believe for a second 343 actually asked for AR starts, it just slipped through all of the extensive testing they do over there. ;)

Striker

thee henery said:
This was what I was trying to determine. Not gonna make any rash statements but if it was 343 who asked for ar starts then its a bit scary.

@Striker
I would play BTB but for the problems you lament on a daily basis. Also I seem to come up against a full team of good players whilst I'm with randoms which in my opinion shouldn't happen as it leads to a mass exodus of said randoms when getting repeatedly massacred - it is literally pointless.
BTB has to be better based on the material we already know. The problem you list there, which can be solved by party restrictions, would limit the population, and in my view, not worth it. Just lay the basics, and stop fooling around with the horse manure. Based on the info I have gathered from Jeremiah, BTB in the next update will be:

Added
Assault (question: Neutral Bomb? One Bomb? Mutli-Bomb? Left unsaid)

Removed
Countdown (note: thank god)
Atom (note: see above)

Unknown or needs addressed
Drop Shield loadout (remove it)
Headhunter, Crazy King, Bro Slayer, Elite Slayer, Snipers (remove)
Stockpile (reduce)
Spire, Boneyard (fix for asymmetric gameplay)

GhaleonEB

randomlyrossy said:
See I don't think it needs to be more challenging. Having a radar wouldn't make it drastically easier.

Why does the regular Firefight playlist still have it? It seems to me if any firefight match needed more of a challenge it'd be the ones where 4 people are playing at once.
Cloud (the skull that disables radar) activates on Round 3 of Firefight Limited and Firefight Arcade. Since Score Attack is just one Round, they turn it on.

I'm agnostic about it, really. I prefer radar on for MP but I can get by okay without it in Firefight okay.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
A27 Tawpgun said:
Some of you listed H2 as the worst campaign. May I ask why?
Master Chief levels were acceptable, Arbiters were just annoying as hell. I expected at least one mission where I got to kill Marines, did not happen. That said, the cutscenes are the best in the series by far.

More news: Playboy's gamer next door, Jo Garcia, is giving away a Halo: Reach Legendary Edition. All you have to do is submit a question for Twitter Tuesday, a new gaming segment being introduced where she asks developers questions straight from the Twitter gaming community. To win, you must submit a question for Resistance 3 and Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One developer Insomniac Games before Monday night. Since her background is slightly NSFW (boobage, Tashi), I'll just tell you to tweet your questions to @gamernextdoor.

Falagard

Plywood said:
Master Chief levels were acceptable, Arbiters were just annoying as hell. I expected at least one mission where I got to kill Marines, did not happen. That said, the cutscenes are the best in the series by far.

I don't know, it was pretty fun to play with Hunters and Elites on your side.

Plywood said:

Has Bungie ever stated why they never let you kill humans? Were they worried about attracting extra attention form the ratings board or family groups, or was it just a design choice?

I think it would have been an interesting way to spice up the games:

- In Halo 2's campaign it would have made for a better character development for the Arbiter if you transitioned from killing Humans to allying with them, instead of just killing "Heretic" Covenant. Would have also made it contrast the interlaced Master Chief levels more. I guess switching sides could be confusing for some players (do I shoot Elites or Humans this level?) but not too much.

- I think Reach would have had a stronger opening if the first level had you fighting Insurrectionists when all of a sudden the Covenant show up, forcing the UNSC and Innies to stop fighting each other and push back the Covie Invasion.

Dax01 said:
It's funny in that it doesn't make any sense, sure. "Hey you guys I'm going to go play a game that I don't enjoy. Then I'm going to come back and complain about it!"
This is where you're wrong Dax and I'm tired of people using the same argument. Who said that I don't enjoy the game? If I did say that, I don't remember saying it. The game pisses me off all the time, and it frustrates me quite often, too. But so what? A game can be good and still have a lot of issues worth complaining about. A game can be fun and still piss this shit out of you. Why don't you tell me a good game to go play instead of Reach, excluding anything related to Call of Duty. Despite Reach's flaws, it still has one of the best xbox live experiences around on the 360. I can jump into a game, get out, and get into another one really fast. My first person shooter tastes have been defined by previous Halo installments. What other game am I gonna go play that is remotely similar?

In my opinion, Reach has the worst weapon balance of any Halo game to date, worsened by crazy armor abilities. I don't even think it's debatable. In fact, I'm surprised people shamelessly defend the issue. I can't make people agree with me on that, but it's not enough to keep me from playing the game. There is still fun to be had. Yes, a good chunk of the games are going to piss me off. Reach has given a steroidal boost to all but the precision weapons (which are/were my favorite), and finished the online experience off by adding in bloom, which is the most deficient mechanic ever introduced into the Halo series. Yes, these things detract from the game for me, but who says that I can't still enjoy the game and at the same time knock it for the parts I don't like?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Falagard said:
I don't know, it was pretty fun to play with Hunters and Elites on your side.
A couple of the latter levels of Arbiter were exciting, but trudging through the flood levels was a pain.
ncsuDuncan said:
Has Bungie ever stated why they never let you kill humans? Were they worried about attracting extra attention form the ratings board or family groups, or was it just a design choice?

I think it would have been an interesting way to spice up the games:

- In Halo 2's campaign it would have made for a better character development for the Arbiter if you transitioned from killing Humans to allying with them, instead of just killing "Heretic" Covenant. Would have also made it contrast the interlaced Master Chief levels more. I guess switching sides could be confusing for some players (do I shoot Elites or Humans this level?) but not too much.

- I think Reach would have had a stronger opening if the first level had you fighting Insurrectionists when all of a sudden the Covenant show up, forcing the UNSC and Innies to stop fighting each other and push back the Covie Invasion.
They never stated as to why, but it likely was because of that though I think it's silly because the game is already rated M.

I like your ideas and I also thought I'd be fighting Insurrectionists for at least the opening level of Reach.

Crucio

Tashi, Juices, I really enjoyed your weekly montage episode 3. What they've said about the music is true, however, both songs fit very well with game play on their own. But the transition between them was disruptive and unexpected. Its like the first song was leading me to something super awesome then bam, some other rythm that goes the opposite way.

Otherwise great gameplay! Well done guys.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Deputy Moonman said:
In my opinion, Reach has the worst weapon balance of any Halo game to date, worsened by crazy armor abilities. I don't even think it's debatable.
Ge9aX.gif

I'm not a fan of them gimping precision weapons but you are just way off with this one.

Top Bottom