• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Ramirez

I find Reach's campaign to be so boring on multiple play throughs, there's just so much stuff I dread, like flying in the falcons on the first level, then waiting on the door to close so I can continue on. The space fight is terribly boring after the first time as well, and the firefight type sections are not something I like either, but those were worse in ODST I believe.

CE is still the only one where I've played the campaign more than 2 times, I probably played it through all the way close to 10-15 times. I guess online MP could be a factor in that, but I played it again probably just a year ago, which I don't find myself pining to replay ODST, 2, or 3 at all now.

Crucio

Dani said:
Looks like we may have to tune into the Sony conference this year to see Bungie's next 10 year franchise reveal...
What happened! Links!
I assume you're going on a limb here. Its certainly feasible that Activision decided to publish their new game with the PS3 as their new backbone.
GhaleonEB said:
Links when posting stuff like that are in order.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=426644
Interesting news. What could they be "battling" about?

Kujo

A27_StarWolf said:
How do a lot of you feel about the Halo:Reach campaign?
Boring, dull. If you're not staying in one spot fighting wave after wave of enemies, you're walking somewhere to flick a switch. The narrative was awful, it didn't make me care about Reach one bit. Worst introduction to a Halo game.

I still like the multiplayer though, I just wish the game shipped with maps that were entirely seperate from the campaign levels.

GhaleonEB

I like the core combat, but there are a lot of problems. The question motivated me to knock off another chunk of my Reach campaign review tomorrow. This time on the sandbox.

I like using the DMR, but it's hugely damaging to the encounter design.

Hey You

Crucio said:
What happened! Links!
I assume you're going on a limb here. Its certainly feasible that Activision decided to publish their new game with the PS3 as their new backbone.
I'm wondering what that means too.

Reach would benefit so much from a "directors cut". From a story perspective it could fill some holes, go a bit deeper and overall feel more satisfying. At the same time, it would provide an excuse to add even the smallest amount of gameplay and hopefully fill certain voids.

ElRenoRaven

GhaleonEB said:
Links when posting stuff like that are in order.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=426644

Oh yes. I can so buy it on PS3. WOOHOO!* I can't wait to see what it is. I've signed up to Beta Test and got the email so hopefully I can be a PS3 tester. I'll test PC,Xbox, or PS3. I don't care which. lol

*TOTALLY SERIOUS ABOUT THAT TOO

Also it's a given that their next franchise will be on both on the PS3 and xbox 360 for sure. PC I would say is likely too.

TacticalFox88 said:
Wait....since when did you care about the PS3? o_O I thought you didn't own one.
Where did he say, that he cares about a PS3? I guess Ghal shared the thread with us, because the rumour contains Bungie's new game.

Recarpo

Crucio said:

Maybe Sony wants them to be a ps3 exclusive? That's the only thing that I can come up with.

Also, is there any plan to do something about the AFkers in firefight? I think I had 2 games in about 2 or 3 hours where everybody was actually playing...

GhaleonEB

TacticalFox88 said:
Wait....since when did you care about the PS3? o_O I thought you didn't own one.

I don't. But Dani mentioned it, someone asked for a link, and I posted it. That's all.

I'll buy whatever system Bungie's next game is on. I'm thinking I'm already set.

ElRenoRaven

Recarpo said:
Maybe Sony wants them to be a ps3 exclusive? That's the only thing that I can come up with.

I doubt that. It's probably more of a battle between Sony and Microsoft each wanting to show it off first at their conference.

Recarpo

PsychoRaven said:
I doubt that. It's probably more of a battle between Sony and Microsoft each wanting to show it off first at their conference.

You're probably right, I just didn't really associate big battle with who got to show off the goods first.

PsychoRaven said:

Yeah, more likely.

There really isn't any chance that their next game doesn't come out for both platforms. Activision would never allow a game from a developer that big to not come out for both platforms. Plus, didn't Bungie primarily want to sign with a third-party publisher instead of MS so they could release their next game multiplatform?

Steelyuhas said:
Yeah, more likely.

There really isn't any chance that their next game doesn't come out for both platforms. Activision would never allow a game from a developer that big to not come out for both platforms. Plus, didn't Bungie primarily want to sign with a third-party publisher instead of MS so they could release their next game multiplatform?
Isn't it already confirmed, that the next Bungie IP will be released on Xbox 360, PS3 and PC?

The next episode of Halo: Reach - Achievement HORSE is online. That's No. 18 for those who are keeping track (and for those who can read YouTube titles).

I thought this was kind of interesting. I found a few LEGO Reach UNSC weapon renders. My guess is that they're for a class project (on the site, it says the creator is still in high school). Regardless, they're pretty awesome.

Somebody recreated/parodied popular scenes from movie, including Goodfellas, The Matrix and Jaws, in Reach. Pretty funny stuff.

The first episode of a new Reach machinima titled Catalyst was posted online a few days ago. There's some iffy voice acting and some odd editing choices, but the few shining moments pulled me in.

Edit: Congrats on the member status, Steelyuhas!
:^)

More news:

Apparently, at GameStop's investor's day, it showed Halo: Reach being streamed on tablets. The company is trying to make a leap into the tablet gaming space. Part of that leap is offering streaming games to compete with OnLive (GameStop recently acquired Stardock's Impulse digital delivery service and Spawn Labs streaming technology). But while OnLive only offers PC games, GameStop is looking at streaming console games on other screens. LittleBigPlanet was also streaming on the service.

I feel like I've seen this elsewhere, but just in case: Reach is a finalist in this year's MI6 Game Marketing Awards. The winners will be announced today at the conference and awards show in San Francisco. Reach is nominated for nine awards, including Outstanding TV or Theatrical Ad and Funniest Video Asset.

Veelk

Banned
I'm in the minority that thinks Bungie told the story of Reach rather well. I think it's because I viewed it as a story of the setting more than a story of plot or character, which is what most people are used to. That's why Noble 6 doesn't get much development, because it's not their story, it's Reach's. Besides, they're Spartans, who drilled to be robotic soldiers. While the UNSC didn't completely kill off any semblance of humanity and emotion in them, they did enough so that the spartans are quite loyal and entirely focused on the missions and nothing else. The Fall of Reach, on the otherhand, is portrayed quite nicely, with things progressively getting worse and worse as each level passes. Any achievement you make is always rendered moot by the proceeding event. Destoryed the spire? There's a Fleet ship. Destroyed the Fleet ship? Here's a hundred more. And so on. The gameplay with the covenant being as vicious truly made them feel like they wanted to kill the entire human race. I just felt it painted a lovely picture of humanity struggling for it's life, and losing.

Also, while I personally don't care at all about the canon violations that Reach commited, I do find it odd that they happened because, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Eric Nylund oversaw Reach's story.

As for the gameplay, I feel the gunplay is the best in the series in terms of singleplayer. It has, without a doubt, the best AI in the series, with the most variety of enemies. The elites are vicious. Ghal made a post that the availability of so many secondary weapons takes from the importance of the 2 weapon system, but I disagree. CE forced you to commit to a rocket launcher if you wanted to use it, and I can see how that may appeal to some people, but I like it better when the player has as many options as possible. At any time, I can choose how to tackle any given situation because of the availability of every kind of weapon here. The two weapon system still matters because I have to make a dynamic work between the weapons chosen based on the environment I'm in. The levels are vast and open and beautiful. There are more cinematic sections where you are forced into a certain playstyle, they are usually shortlived. Only the space level forces you to play it in a certain way for an extended period of time. All other times, it's your choice on how to approach a situation.

The one area the combat fails, I feel, is the vehicle combat. The warthog is flat out useless without a human companion because of the shittastic friendly AI. They either drive me into open danger or refuse to fire at the enemy. The bounciness doesn't help at all. The Falcon may be a great aerial vehicle in MP, but I don't like it much in the SP. It's slow and clunky and weak, compared to the hornet, which, yes, was overpowered, but also damn fun. The tank mission feels very halfhearted, like Bungie just remembered "Oh yeah, we need to put in a scorpion section somewhere here." And the Scarabs being completely scripted and indestructible, only there as a cinematic scene of escape, simply makes me cry. They were my favorite thing to fight against in Halo 3. Because vehicles are so lacking, the game never gives a sense of a huge scale battle like Halo 3 did. Covenant vehicles seem fine to me though, and I can always choose to get out of a vehicle and handle everything on foot, so it's not a gamebreaker, simply a disappointment.

So, great game overall. Does almost everything right, in my opinion.

ElRenoRaven

Steelyuhas said:
Yeah, more likely.

Pretty much. I honestly think that there is a lot to the story that we'll probably never know. You don't buy yourselves back if you are happy. Also they did make it a point to mention that they were going multiplatform when the deal with Activision was announced. So you can bet it's going to be on PS3 and 360 at least. PC and maybe just maybe mac could also get versions seeing as how Bungie always had a soft spot for those.

Tawpgun and Dani pretty much summed up my opinions about Reach and all the other Halo campaigns.

Well, except that I really hated Sadie's Story in ODST. So glad that was optional.

Reach's campaign is a blast to play, sometimes I'll load up a level just to see how a newly customized Noble Six looks in game next to the other team members, and I'll just end up playing most or the whole level. Narratively, it's got a host of problems that Tawpgun and Dani summed up quite eloquently.

wwm0nkey

Halo: Faith shot before and after CGI

121ssh2.jpg

Striker

A27 Tawpgun said:
I really wished ODST made you feel REALLY weak. I still felt powerful as hell. I was just expecting the hub world to be a place where you picked your fights carefully and scavenged for resources. I thought the Super would do a bit more as well.
Early on, that was my impression, too. I kind of felt like it was going to be super challenging taking down Jackals and the low guard Brutes, but unless you had some power weapon, vehicle, or support from your ODST teammates, you will have a near impossible time taking down a Chieftain or any of the higher ups in the Covenant. Instead, they just made you a tad smaller, changed the jump and made the walking speed a little slower from Halo 3. It was all in all rather disappointing.

Halo 2 had a fantastic story, but the execution in the map design overall was rather sluggish. Arbiter missions I might have disliked at first, but in hindsight I think it was brilliant for finally inviting the Covenant side into it. Arbiter became one of the series' popular characters, but unfortunately Halo 3 came and took a big, massive dump on him.

Striker said:
Early on, that was my impression, too. I kind of felt like it was going to be super challenging taking down Jackals and the low guard Brutes, but unless you had some power weapon, vehicle, or support from your ODST teammates, you will have a near impossible time taking down a Chieftain or any of the higher ups in the Covenant. Instead, they just made you a tad smaller, changed the jump and made the walking speed a little slower from Halo 3. It was all in all rather disappointing.
Well how would you propose making your character feel weaker? I mean, making the weapons suddenly weaker because you're ODST doesn't make a whole lot of sense. PP + headshot would work no matter who is wielding it. A rocket is still a rocket. Not saying that Bungie was wholly successful on the vulnerable thing they were pushing with ODST, I just don't know how much they could have done that would still keep the game fun. No 'shields' with a limited medpack supply that you carry? Melee does hardly anything to Brutes? I'm not imaginative to come up with a whole lot.

And H3 Arbiter sucks, not much more to say about that. Wasted opportunity, through and through.

Mojo said:
Boring, dull. If you're not staying in one spot fighting wave after wave of enemies, you're walking somewhere to flick a switch. The narrative was awful, it didn't make me care about Reach one bit. Worst introduction to a Halo game.

I still like the multiplayer though, I just wish the game shipped with maps that were entirely seperate from the campaign levels.
Exaggeration like this doesn't help anyone.

Tashi0106 said:
Ahhhh OK. I understand the complaints about the music now.

Letters, I noticed that too. I couldn't make a nice solution in time and I didn't want to ask you again. lol. I just have to make a nice video intro that I can use every time.

Juices. I wanna stick with Premiere. I wanna get really good at using that program. Do you have examples of effects you think are cool. I'm honestly not huge on effects. I'm open to try them though if I think they make the montage better.

K I think maybe I'll try and learn some Premiere then. I know a lot of Vegas I'll have to see. You can probably find free tutorials online, the program might even have some in it?

Yea definitely add effects, I would go watch a ton of newer and even older montages and jot down which effects you like then try and do one or two each week.

What I meant about entertainment is, a montage just highlights some awesome shit. Its not really to showcase skill. Pros would look more at gameplay for that kinda thing... Almost anyone decent can collect a bunch of short awesome kills/multikills and make a montage but can it hook the watcher, maybe even to watch it again. You don't really see music videos of the artist just standing there singing their song into a mic, you see effects, and hot women but I think thats irrelevant with Halo or is it?

I don't mind the FF day's but 6K for all the challenges? Cmon! I would totally not pop my disc in if it wasn't for the fact I wanna fill that damn bar!

Miggytronz

Im also one of the few that loved Reach's story. Yeah i read the book and it too was Epic as fuck. Both held their own raw emotion for what was the inevitable end. Though i still feel that Halo 3 had a deeper emotional feel over all other Halo games. The relationship between Chief and Cortana, the separation made me feel as though Chief wasnt just another super soldier, he actually felt lost without her. I dunno HALO is always gonna have a place in my heart because I met my wife at a Halo LAN party some 8 years ago. We have a saying "You had me at Halo".

Kajiba

Last night I think I went against a couple of people on gaf in some random defiant map pack game. Slightly live and Tj Ram I believe. I wanted to get the flag but your team said no =(....

We got bodied.

GhaleonEB

Kill 188 enemies in a single Firefight Matchmaking game on Heroic.​
This actually requires a bit of luck - you need to either only get matched up with one other player, or have the rest of the team idle or drop. Before drop pods there are around 330 enemies in a base Set of Firefight, before the bonus round. I've pulled off more than 188 many times but it requires the rest of the team's lack of participation.

Now if we had a way to play longer games in Firefight matchmaking...

Top Bottom