• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

def sim

Damn, I remember PMS from the Halo 2 clan playlist. Them along with KSI are usually the ones we kept seeing.

Is there any reason why they took out clan matchmaking support from Halo games?

ChrisD84

Doh, first time i've seen Unearthed appear in FF and 3 people vote none of the above >_<

Now i'm stuck playing on Waterfront, i hate this map :p

Deputy Moonman said:
This is where you're wrong Dax and I'm tired of people using the same argument. Who said that I don't enjoy the game? If I did say that, I don't remember saying it. The game pisses me off all the time, and it frustrates me quite often, too.
How to shoot yourself in the foot in less than 5 sentences.

Your posts are annoying to read. There I said it. Do with that what you may. Are Ghaleon's posts about FF idlers, quitters and generally bad players annoying to read? Are Dani's posts about the Campa- [time skip] -ead? Are mmonkey's posts about his Halo 2 fetish annoying to read? Are bobs'/Ram's/Tashi's posts about MLG style gameplay annoying to read?

Quite simply, no.

I am by no means telling you to stop posting. Your tears will stop splashing on the keyboard at some point and when they do, I look forward to your constructive feedback.

GhaleonEB

ChrisD84 said:
Doh, first time i've seen Unearthed appear in FF and 3 people vote none of the above >_<

Now i'm stuck playing on Waterfront, i hate this map :p
This won't help with your situation, but it reminded me. I find that often, I can pull shenanegans on people when the party doesn't vote in order to get game types I want. It won't help when everyone votes, of course.

I always try to be the first one to vote, and I'll vote for what I think people want. (Usually, normal Firefight on a good map). A lot of times, people see that's what is going to be selected and then don't cast their vote. Which means I can change the vote at the last second for what I really want. In one night last week I forced Legendary Unearthed (mother of god), Crashsite and Generator Defense on people - all in a row. I felt like such mischieveous bastard, but the games were fun. Democracy in action, don't vote, you can't complain.

ElRenoRaven

You know what. FUCK THE 188 KILLS IN A FIREFIGHT MATCH ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love firefight but shit. If even one person stays you are screwed.

neclas

squidhands said:
Also found out that there's an exploit on Holdout where idlers/AFK/whatever can perch and never be touched. This guy was actually playing, but I noticed he was able to get up to where the MAC cannon is with relative ease.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2mo6ov9.jpg
That's not as bad as some of the hiding spots on other maps (Glacier, Courtyard). At least with this Holdout one, it's still possible for them to get shot by Phantoms, Banshees, and ground troops near the weird antenna tower thingy.

ncsuDuncan said:
Has Bungie ever stated why they never let you kill humans? Were they worried about attracting extra attention form the ratings board or family groups, or was it just a design choice?

I always assumed it was a design choice. They didn't want the player to dislike the Arbiter because he was killing humans, it was important to establish him as the "good" guy that discovered what the Halo rings actually did and to then break away from the Covenant.

Plywood said:
I'm not a fan of them gimping precision weapons but you are just way off with this one.
The largest disparity between power and regular weapons leads to some of the least interesting rock/paper/scissors gameplay in the series.

neoism

Hydranockz said:
How to shoot yourself in the foot in less than 5 sentences.

Your posts are annoying to read. There I said it. Do with that what you may. Are Ghaleon's posts about FF idlers, quitters and generally bad players annoying to read? Are Dani's posts about the Campa- [time skip] -ead? Are mmonkey's posts about his Halo 2 fetish annoying to read? Are bobs'/Ram's/Tashi's posts about MLG style gameplay annoying to read?

Quite simply, no.

I am by no means telling you to stop posting. Your tears will stop splashing on the keyboard at some point and when they do, I look forward to your constructive feedback.
Guys why are you even arguing with him... I agree his posts aren't worth reading. I'm not saying he is wrong they're his so he is right, but I was tried of them a month ago. So just put him on ignore. All I know is if I got as much displeasure from Reach or (ANY) game I would quit playing... thankfully for me Reach is my fav. :/

Lake Minnetonka said:
The largest disparity between power and regular weapons leads to some of the least interesting rock/paper/scissors gameplay in the series.
2vx4v1f.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZfwO5oxO0A&feature=related

ChrisD84

GhaleonEB said:
This won't help with your situation, but it reminded me. I find that often, I can pull shenanegans on people when the party doesn't vote in order to get game types I want. It won't help when everyone votes, of course.

I always try to be the first one to vote, and I'll vote for what I think people want. (Usually, normal Firefight on a good map). A lot of times, people see that's what is going to be selected and then don't cast their vote. Which means I can change the vote at the last second for what I really want. In one night last week I forced Legendary Unearthed (mother of god), Crashsite and Generator Defense on people - all in a row. I felt like such mischieveous bastard, but the games were fun. Democracy in action, don't vote, you can't complain.

Thanks for the tip, i'll have to try that next time.

Strangely enough, the game after that last one also came up as Unearthed, and i got to play it that time =)

ncsuDuncan said:
Has Bungie ever stated why they never let you kill humans? Were they worried about attracting extra attention form the ratings board or family groups, or was it just a design choice?
They wanted players to grow to like the Arbiter. IIRC it was that they felt you killing humans in the game would make him unforgivable, would break his redemption story (even if has slaughtered many before the start of the game).

Zeouterlimits said:
They wanted players to grow to like the Arbiter. IIRC it was that they felt you killing humans in the game would make him unforgivable, would break his redemption story (even if has slaughtered many before the start of the game).
While that may be true for Halo 2, there was a far more commercial reason for it in Reach. Look at what FF versus is. Heretic Covies are as close to fighting humans as Bungie will actively pursue. I don't really have an issue with killing humans in games but I would be foolish to say there isn't a large portion of the community that does have a problem with it.

Hydranockz said:
While that may be true for Halo 2, there was a far more commercial reason for it in Reach. Look at what FF versus is. Heretic Covies are as close to fighting humans as Bungie will actively pursue. I don't really have an issue with killing humans in games but I would be foolish to say there isn't a large portion of the community that does have a problem with it.

Why would shooting at humans be any different than the Call of Duty games? Reach multiplayer has you killing humans (well, super-human Spartans).

Note: there is ONE human (not flood infected) you are encouraged to kill in the Halo series. Bonus points to the first person that remembers who it is.

Just imagine how darker Reach's opening would be if the first level had Noble Team flying in on Falcons to supress an Insurrectionist attack on Reach. It would really give casual Halo players a glimpse into the human political struggle that was previously only described in the books. Then BAM the Covenant show up and wipe out both the Innies and the UNSC soldiers, Noble Team barely escapes and declares Winter Contingency.

ncsuDuncan said:
Why would shooting at humans be any different than the Call of Duty games? Reach multiplayer has you killing humans (well, super-human Spartans).

Note: there is ONE human (not flood infected) you are encouraged to kill in the Halo series. Bonus points to the first person that remembers who it is.
The one security officer in ODST on Data Hive. "Crime doesn't pay."

vhfive

ncsuDuncan said:
Just imagine how darker Reach's opening would be if the first level had Noble Team flying in on Falcons to supress and Insurrectionist attack on Reach. It would really give casual Halo players a glimpse into the human political struggle that was previously only described in the books. Then BAM the Covenant show up and wipe out both the Innies and the UNSC soldiers, Noble Team barely escapes and declares Winter Contingency.
this would've been awesome

Hydranockz said:
Or Jenkins? :p Was that his name...
Halo: CE dude
He said "encouraged." But I guess you can splice that either way. Though you were more encouraged to kill the security officer in ODST than the crazy Marine in Halo: CE.

So a friend and I were doing the LASO run on LnoS and we discovered something weird:
In the last area, where you are defending the pelican, I was in the pelican turret and my friend was wandered past the control switch which you activate, earlier in the level to let the pelican in.
Well, I don't know if this always happens but now, the option to deactivate the shield door things was still there.
We couldn't activate the switch but this may be an eastern egg. (we were thinking about flying the pelican in space with no boundries?)

I'll put up a link in a few hours but it's a long film to go trough.

Dax01 said:
He said "encouraged." But I guess you can splice that either way. Though you were more encouraged to kill the security officer in ODST than the crazy Marine in Halo: CE.
He was in range of my weapons :p That's all the encouragement I need.

Dax01 said:
Does the reticule turn red in CE when you aim at that panicking marine?

Back to Winter Contingency:
Bungie started it out like a mystery: Why is this comm relay down? Is it an Insurrectionist attack?

My problem with this is that the player already knows the answer: It's the damn Covenant!
Bungie doesn't give you enough time to forget that.
The game keeps piling on evidence that it isn't Innies and then immediately throws a Skirmisher at you.
--
You know how they're making a movie prequel to The Thing? I really hope the monster doesn't attack in broad daylight within the first 5 minutes.
We all know it's coming, so give us a chance to get immersed in the characters and environment before you solve the "mystery" you're setting up.
--
Now, change Winter Contingency to where the Innies ARE attacking the Comm Relay. Maybe their spies found out about the latchkey discovery and they want to steal the info, whatever.
It can finally give casual Halo fans a glimpse at the state of human politics, all the infighting and backstory that is covered in the novels.

Noble team swoops in and the player spends a good 10-20 minutes fighting humans. It's a fairly easy intro to the game, a team of Spartans versus some rebels with puny machine guns.
This gives you ample time to completely forget about the Covenant.
For all you know the entire first half of the game is fighting Innies,
when WHAM an Elite drop pod crashes through the roof and shit gets real.

Trasher

Ramirez said:
I'm sure your team managed to kill TJ Trasher though, he sucks.
Nope. You must be thinking of yourself, gramps. You should use your mic more man. Who cares if your wife will hear you playing Halo late at night. Grow some balls!

Gui_PT said:
If you guys are interested, we can party up and take turns in getting those 188 kills

You would be better off just playing 1 game of BTB though, out of interest as a Mythic how much do you earn for a average game?

ncsuDuncan said:
Does the reticule turn red in CE when you aim at that panicking marine?

Back to Winter Contingency:
Bungie started it out like a mystery: Why is this comm relay down? Is it an Insurrectionist attack?

My problem with this is that the player already knows the answer: It's the damn Covenant!
Bungie doesn't give you enough time to forget that.
The game keeps piling on evidence that it isn't Innies and then immediately throws a Skirmisher at you.
--
You know how they're making a movie prequel to The Thing? I really hope the monster doesn't attack in broad daylight within the first 5 minutes.
We all know it's coming, so give us a chance to get immersed in the characters and environment before you solve the "mystery" you're setting up.
--
Now, change Winter Contingency to where the Innies ARE attacking the Comm Relay. Maybe their spies found out about the latchkey discovery and they want to steal the info, whatever.
It can finally give casual Halo fans a glimpse at the state of human politics, all the infighting and backstory that is covered in the novels.

Noble team swoops in and the player spends a good 10-20 minutes fighting humans. It's a fairly easy intro to the game, a team of Spartans versus some rebels with puny machine guns.
This gives you ample time to completely forget about the Covenant.
For all you know the entire first half of the game is fighting Innies,
when WHAM an Elite drop pod crashes through the roof and shit gets real.

I would love it, but the game would take a much darker tone, it would essentially be fighting against terrorists and im not sure how well that would go down. I personally think Reach could have gotten away with it, and pulled it off well though. It would have been a bit of a risk, but anything would be better than the weak "its the damn covenant" intro we got on Reach.

ncsuDuncan said:
They probably just thought fighting humans wouldn't be fun. AI with hitscan weapons, lack of enemy variety, sandbox built around combating the Covenant. Fighting humans would be really cool from a story perspective, but Bungie has always been Gameplay > Story.

wwm0nkey

You know I kind of wish there was a King of the Hill mode with an AI juggernaut or something just slaughtering both teams and spawns at random times. Would make me play KOTH :lol

ncsuDuncan said:

I think it would have been an interesting way to spice up the games:

- In Halo 2's campaign it would have made for a better character development for the Arbiter if you transitioned from killing Humans to allying with them, instead of just killing "Heretic" Covenant. Would have also made it contrast the interlaced Master Chief levels more. I guess switching sides could be confusing for some players (do I shoot Elites or Humans this level?) but not too much.

- I think Reach would have had a stronger opening if the first level had you fighting Insurrectionists when all of a sudden the Covenant show up, forcing the UNSC and Innies to stop fighting each other and push back the Covie Invasion.

For the "Arby didn't kill any humans" part: look at it this way. He was in charge of ALL of the operations on and surrounding Reach. While you never played it out yourself, he's responsible for the slaughter of millions.

Tawpgun

Hmm... Bungie admitted the OP pistol in CE was a bug or not intended...
They also were disappointed in H2...my fav Halo.
Halo 3 they were satisfied with. Still plagued by AR starts.
And Reach was their ultimate halo. The swan song... But its probably my least favorite multiplayer.

Eager to see what 343 does.

Gui_PT

bobs99 ... said:
You would be better off just playing 1 game of BTB though, out of interest as a Mythic how much do you earn for a average game?

Depends highly on the gametype.

Regular, short Slayer match? I'd say about 4k. Not much.

KevinRo

The girl that does the MLG event writeups for G4 went to my middleschool/highschool.

She use to have a crush on me for being Asian. haha, fuck I should've tried harder to keep in contact with her >.>

GhaleonEB

bobs99 ... said:
I would love it, but the game would take a much darker tone, it would essentially be fighting against terrorists and im not sure how well that would go down. I personally think Reach could have gotten away with it, and pulled it off well though. It would have been a bit of a risk, but anything would be better than the weak "its the damn covenant" intro we got on Reach.
I see what you're saying, but then again, Reach is about the fall of a planet and the death of millions and millions of people (though mostly through implication). We do see evac ships shot down which crash with thousands aboard. I don't think a human versus human skirmish would have darkened things too much.

I liked the ruse of the first mission, and how it gave a glimpse of the kind of missions Spartans were sent on before the Covenants shows up, though it certainly could have been fleshed out one way or another. But I still can't get over my disappointment that the arrival of the Covenant is portrayed as....not that big of a deal. Kind of neat, even. It sets the completely wrong tone for the game.

feel

KevinRo said:
The girl that does the MLG event writeups for G4 went to my middleschool/highschool.

She use to have a crush on me for being Asian. haha, fuck I should've tried harder to keep in contact with her >.>
Pics?

Both hers and yours.

The Real Napsta said:
New Final Boss roster to do work at Columbus.
Final Boss – Roy, Lunchbox, OGRE2, Pistola
If not, I'd say it's time to hang up the sticks :p Should be team of the forever,
if they were playing Halo 3
but Reach has brought out the new guard. Dallas was certainly a testament to that. That's not to say I don't I hope the best for them, because I do. FB top 3 please.

Top Bottom