• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Ryaaan14

Banned
A27_StarWolf said:
This thread has now become the halo 1 thread.
Yeah I don't know but it is way harder to actually become a part of HaloGAF than it seemed. Conversations all over the place and mostly about complaints with game mechanics.

Very scary territory for a Junior.

I guess I'll wait to post when the serious Halo 4 speculation begins so I can actually be on the same page as everyone. I lurked like crazy during the Reach speculation and that seemed like fun times.

Ryaaan14 said:
Yeah I don't know but it is way harder to actually become a part of HaloGAF than it seemed. Conversations all over the place and mostly about complaints with game mechanics.

I guess I'll wait to post when the serious Halo 4 speculation begins so I can actually be on the same page as everyone. I lurked like crazy during the Reach speculation and that seemed like fun times.

-Halo GAF complains

-Halo GAF is random

-Halo GAF loves nostalgia

darthbob

Domino Theory said:
Oh and I bought 2 more Defiant codes to give away. Anyone from HaloGAF left that doesn't have the Defiant MP?

I'd ask for one for a friend of mine, as I already have the Map Pack.

Up to you I guess, but no big deal.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
darthbob said:
I'd ask for one for a friend of mine, as I already have the Map Pack.

Up to you I guess, but no big deal.

Sorry, HaloGAF members first, then it moves to HBO members if no one from HaloGAF claims it.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Just got to get in at the right time during the cycle and you're fine.

CYCLE.gif

Tawpgun

Ryaaan14 said:

Just join in on the hate. The hate will make you stronger.... give into your anger...

darth_vader_dark_side-6213.jpg

If you have an opinion feel free to share it. If people disagree they will give reasons and it will be a good discussion.

Unless it's kyle. He'll call you a BK if you have the wrong opinion :p

Domino Theory said:
Sorry, HaloGAF members first, then it moves to HBO members if no one from HaloGAF claims it.
If I can vouch for anyone from HaloGAF, give it to kyle. Scrub doesn't have the maps.

Ryaaan14

Banned
A27 Tawpgun said:
Just join in on the hate. The hate will make you stronger.... give into your anger...

darth_vader_dark_side-6213.jpg

If you have an opinion feel free to share it. If people disagree they will give reasons and it will be a good discussion.

k, I'll do my best to join in. I introduced myself a few days ago, so I'll refrain from posting it again.

A27 Tawpgun said:

If I can vouch for anyone from HaloGAF, give it to kyle. Scrub doesn't have the maps.

Ugh, so we can kick his ass on all the other maps?

Tawpgun

Domino Theory said:
Kylej? He just has to let me know via PM and I'll give him a code, no problem.
Well who knows when he'll see this. You can try an PM him asking if he wants one and hold one of them for a day.

Or whatever, your choice. I'm just sick of not being able to play premium battle when we have a party of 6.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
FyreWulff said:
Hey guys, I've done a quick writeup on HBO about a gametype I would make if I had access to Megalo. It is not an essay or filibuster like these types of posts from me usually are, tell me what you think:

http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=1081856

Sounds like a neat idea. I can't imagine the average MM random able to grasp the rules quickly though but, on the surface, it sounds like a nice, deep Objective/Slayer mix.

I imagine it would require tweaking and balancing though and there would almost certainly need to be compromises in the design to accommodate it working, foreseen and unforeseen alike.

Pity you'll probably never get a chance to realise the idea. I would definitely would have liked to see it.

Tawpgun

I remember in a podcast, Bungie said something how they were messing with gametypes and they created ones where It's literally every Halo gametype going on at once in the same game...

Or a better one...

A game where the gametype randomly switches. Imagine like a tiered matchmaking game.

First Tier - Once a team gets to 30 kills an enemy flag appear at the enemy base.
Second Tier - Once the flag is captured there is a hill marker.

Ect. Ect.

God I want Megalo so bad.

GhaleonEB

A27 Tawpgun said:
Or a better one...

A game where the gametype randomly switches. Imagine like a tiered matchmaking game.

First Tier - Once a team gets to 30 kills an enemy flag appear at the enemy base.

Ect. Ect.

That is how I wanted Invasion to be structured, with options to string objectives together. Much like we can assign phases to be Assault or One-Flag (okay, core) currently, I'd like to be able to assign different objectives and then set the parameters for each.

I like FyreWulff's resource objective game type. Along those lines, I wish Bungie had incorporated Forge with hard game type rules. I'd construct the following:

• Each team has one randomly selected player spawn as a Monitor.
  • The Monitor has a small (adjustable via game options) initial budget with which to spawn weapons and vehicles.
  • Additional funds are added to the Monitor's budget as objectives are met. These could be kills ($5 per kill), CTF caps ($25 per cap) or increment the budget in phases as with Invasion slayer ($100 in budget when 25 kills are reached).
  • Killing a Monitor yields the killing team a budget bonus (configurable). The Monitor respawns as another player on the team.
  • Options to restrict what weapons and vehicles could be spawned would be essential.

No idea what it would be called, but it was one of the big ticket items I was hoping to see in Reach's Forge mode.
Tashi0106 said:
Ok that sounds pretty fuckin cool. I'm not sure how you could balance that though. It kinda smells like Call of Duty.
It would also be the easiest game type in history to grief. "Our Monitor is giving all our guns to the other team!"

Edit: and Dax would troll everyone by spawning Assault Rifles everywhere.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Ok that sounds pretty fuckin cool. I'm not sure how you could balance that though. It kinda smells like Call of Duty.

Sai-kun

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
No idea what it would be called, but it was one of the big ticket items I was hoping to see in Reach's Forge mode.

Forge Slayer? :D

After the Monitor dies, the next person to die could replace them. That'd be cool, too, so maybe the whole team could get a chance to be a Monitor.

GhaleonEB said:
That is how I wanted Invasion to be structured, with options to string objectives together. Much like we can assign phases to be Assault or One-Flag (okay, core) currently, I'd like to be able to assign different objectives and then set the parameters for each.

I like FyreWulff's resource objective game type. Along those lines, I wish Bungie had incorporated Forge with hard game type rules. I'd construct the following:

• Each team has one randomly selected player spawn as a Monitor.
  • The Monitor has a small (adjustable via game options) initial budget with which to spawn weapons and vehicles.
  • Additional funds are added to the Monitor's budget as objectives are met. These could be kills ($5 per kill), CTF caps ($25 per cap) or increment the budget in phases as with Invasion slayer ($100 in budget when 25 kills are reached).
  • Killing a Monitor yields the killing team a budget bonus (configurable). The Monitor respawns as another player on the team.
  • Options to restrict what weapons and vehicles could be spawned would be essential.

It would also be the easiest game type in history to grief. "Our Monitor is giving all our guns to the other team!"

Can we please organize this sometime?

kylej

Banned
Letters said:
I love clutch plays at events such as those! Have any more?? Or the direction to some mlgpro thread I could go and watch a few dozens of them.

Those are the only ones I know off the top of my head.

Domino Theory said:
Kylej? He just has to let me know via PM and I'll give him a code, no problem.

Give them to someone who would use them more. I play Arena and Squad Slayer and I don't think the maps are even in those playlists. Thanks though.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
kylej said:
Those are the only ones I know off the top of my head.

Give them to someone who would use them more. I play Arena and Squad Slayer and I don't think the maps are even in those playlists. Thanks though.
There's a big T2 clutch play on Construct to win the game and force a game 10 or 11. I think it was against Final Boss or Triggers Down.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Ryaaan14 said:

HaloGAF isn't all about the users who post a lot. Those people are awesome/hilarious/infuriating/hilariously infuriating, but us lurkers and occasional posters are important elements, too. Don't worry about it so much, and definitely don't be intimidated. Just post your thoughts, be nice, and be prepared to put up with occasional bullshit. You'll be fine.

zumphry

Banned
PsychoRaven said:
You know that map had to be designed when someone was higher then a kite. Of that I have no doubt one bit.

"Well that's what happens when your lead is a crack addict."

-Paul Russel on Jason Jones.

Not that anyone cares, but was at a party today that had an Xbox running. Decided to start a 1v1 Halo 2 (so good) tournament and I ended up going 4-0. Though, I did abuse the fuck out of the Sword. But I've never claimed to be a good Halo player...

FyreWulff

Dani said:
Sounds like a neat idea. I can't imagine the average MM random able to grasp the rules quickly though but, on the surface, it sounds like a nice, deep Objective/Slayer mix.

I imagine it would require tweaking and balancing though and there would almost certainly need to be compromises in the design to accommodate it working, foreseen and unforeseen alike.

Pity you'll probably never get a chance to realise the idea. I would definitely would have liked to see it.

I've thought of making a half-prototype of it using Invasion and it's phased spawning to give people a rough idea of how it'd work. You could actually almost do this with the Invasion schema as it exists, except we currently don't have a form of Invasion that lets you have Invasion Slayer and normal Invasion with objectives running at the same time or two-sided Invasion with objectives.

Ramirez

A27 Tawpgun said:
I remember in a podcast, Bungie said something how they were messing with gametypes and they created ones where It's literally every Halo gametype going on at once in the same game...

Or a better one...

Ect. Ect.

Yup, they should have copied Killzone 2's MP mode, I forget what it was called, but the objective switched every 5 minutes or so, only good thing about that game.

FyreWulff

A27 Tawpgun said:

Or a better one...

Ect. Ect.

That tiered one would have been possible out of the box if it was possible to have a Slayer phase for Invasion.

IE Set Phase 1 win condition to 30 kills

Phase 2 would then be the flag round

Phase 3 is Territories with only one capture point

Hey guys, I haven't played Reach since damn near launch. I tried to play the game yesterday and it told me I couldn't play online because I didn't have my stuff updated enough.

Do I have to pay for the DLC to play online now?

feel

omg.kittens said:
HaloGAF isn't all about the users who post a lot. Those people are awesome/hilarious/infuriating/hilariously infuriating, but us lurkers and occasional posters are important elements, too. Don't worry about it so much, and definitely don't be intimidated. Just post your thoughts, be nice, and be prepared to put up with occasional bullshit. You'll be fine.
Nice post, welcome to halogaf.

:p

Tunavi said:

One of the thread on the first page of Optimatch is "Should there be a banshee on Sword Base?"
Dreams-Visions said:
Hey guys, I haven't played Reach since damn near launch. I tried to play the game yesterday and it told me I couldn't play online because I didn't have my stuff updated enough.

No. There is two DLC specific playlists that require DLC, but other than that it is not required.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Dreams-Visions said:

Nope.

Dreams-Visions said:
Oh, so I was just trying to do Matchmaking wrong?

You may have just read a message that says you don't have the "recommended" DLC maps, but you should still be able to enter the playlist without them, except for the two DLC specific playlists that I mentioned.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Also the Zealot spawns are truly, TRULY, fucked up. Nothing like spawning people under and next to you after you just killed them.

Top Bottom