• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Tunavi

Banned
Plywood said:
I was hoping you were linking to a post that was going to say it was going to be removed. To say the least, I'm disappointed.
but how could you expect such a thing when...no one manages the playlists? :O

wwm0nkey

Halo: Faith Grunt concept art

270643_230550640301887_181345861889032_819846_2321128_n.jpg

Ramirez

Man, the Banshee is truly a POS in this game, how that thing made it out of testing is a true wonder. Actually, BTB as a whole is terrible, but Paradiso V2 and a Banshee just drives the point home right through your skull.

wwm0nkey

Ramirez said:
Man, the Banshee is truly a POS in this game, how that thing made it out of testing is a true wonder. Actually, BTB as a whole is terrible, but Paradiso V2 and a Banshee just drives the point home right through your skull.
Remember the Halo 2 Banshee :(

Also still better than the Halo 3 beta banshee XD

Kujo

Utopie is a POS, but the added Banshee and terrible spawn points makes it one of the worst FPS maps I've ever played.

On another note, I'm still on T&R Legendary. I got to the part with the hangar bay with the 2 levels where at the end 2 hunters come out. Problem is I don't have the sniper anymore and the enemies on the top level are hard to get with just a PP/PR. Is there an easy way out of this mess?

Booties

Banned
kylej said:
Those are the only ones I know off the top of my head.

Give them to someone who would use them more. I play Arena and Squad Slayer and I don't think the maps are even in those playlists. Thanks though.

BK sticking to the BK maps. gotta love it

Striker

The disappointment of Forge World is mainly how areas like "the island" and "the rock" aren't really so diverse. You can only make so many adjustments or small changes, but all around it still won't work as truly intended. Utopie fixed the main problems Paradiso had, but in reality, it's still a poor AREA, much less the map itself.

It'd be nice if Halo 4 had a map editor in the realm of Far Cry, or at least something to edit textures or terrain in some form. In Foundry we were extremely limited and only permitted to tiny symmetrical maps, and there was tons of brown. Sandbox was the ugliest of them all, but it was better than Foundry because we could build in more than area. That still was extremely limited because only the bottom part and main land was the true assets. Also, again, you were limited mainly due to the lack of soft-kill areas you could not include. The sky part of Sandbox was broken, thus rarely used.

The Real Napsta said:
What's mind blowing about that is Reach has sustained about 700,000 to 730,000 daily these past two weeks or so. So MW2 has more than that, which shows how much people still play it. Halo 3 at this stage was netting around the same I believe, but it was going against MW, and later WaW, but weren't as populated as these two.

Kujo

Striker said:
It'd be nice if Halo 4 had a map editor in the realm of Far Cry, or at least something to edit textures or terrain in some form. In Foundry we were extremely limited and only permitted to tiny symmetrical maps, and there was tons of brown. Sandbox was the ugliest of them all, but it was better than Foundry because we could build in more than area. That still was extremely limited because only the bottom part and main land was the true assets. Also, again, you were limited mainly due to the lack of soft-kill areas you could not include. The sky part of Sandbox was broken, thus rarely used.
I want the ability to change skyboxes, to change atmosphere, to change weather, to change time of day, to change object colours or have varying versions of the same piece, and yeah, edit or create your own terrain. I don't like Forge how it is.

I like Rebirth without the Jetpack. In doubles I don't think it has jetpack but then we got it in Arena and there was one dude jetpacking up top and then shooting down, so I started doing it, had a pretty great game that time too but I preferred the wall actually effecting the gameplay in a larger sense than it does when you can just fly over it anywhere...

Don't know which one Select is.

A27 Tawpgun said:
I wonder who's gonna manage the playlists at 343.

<-----This guy. Although it is odd I haven't heard from them yet...

xxjuicesxx said:
I like Rebirth without the Jetpack. In doubles I don't think it has jetpack but then we got it in Arena and there was one dude jetpacking up top and then shooting down, so I started doing it, had a pretty great game that time too but I preferred the wall actually effecting the gameplay in a larger sense than it does when you can just fly over it anywhere...

Don't know which one Select is.

<-----This guy. Although it is odd I haven't heard from them yet...

Striker

Maps like Select would probably be better suited for Objective.

Mojo said:
I want the ability to change skyboxes, to change atmosphere, to change weather, to change time of day, to change object colours or have varying versions of the same piece, and yeah, edit or create your own terrain. I don't like Forge how it is.
I agree with most of what you said, except skyboxes. Some of the simpler skyboxes are perfect enough for me (i.e. Beaver Creek, Coagulation), though I loved Terminal's storm brewing above blue base.

Tunavi

Banned
So what were they thinking when they designed this game? I watched some Halo 2 gameplay just now and it made me hate the mechanics of Reach so much.

The movement sucks. You're slow as shit. I aways find myself dying because I get trapped in the geometry. In previous games, you could jump on top of and over objects in order to traverse the map.

Grenades are nukes. Oh...and we are slow as shit so thats just adding fuel to the fire. The extreme grenade magnetism is just a joke. Auto-aim for grenades that are already overpowered? Good idea.

Armor abilities get spammed like no other. Wanna jam the other team's radar and be invisible an entire match? Want to be invincible whenever you want? Over-shield was very crucial to map control and influenced map movement. Now you can just spawn with whatever damn ability you want regardless of the situation.

The Halo 2 battle rifle was an elegant weapon. Hitscan made it very controllable. You could fire fast and accurately. Bullet spread saved it from being overpowered at long range. If you fire the DMR unscoped, gameplay feels soooo sloooow. Shoot....wait for bloom to reset...shoot...wait for bloom to reset...ect. Halo 2 BR was BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM. That's FUN. Reach is as slow enough as it is.

Please 343, just go back to the balanced golden triangle for Halo 4. It used to be Gunplay - Grenades - Melee. Hell, you could even say that map movement was just as important as any of those. Now it's Grenades - Melee - Armor abilities - gunplay. In that order of importance. :|

I hate you Sage.

Also, I'd love to see the hitscan Battle Rifle added to Classic map pack.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Dax01 said:
Mostly. Very late evening. Sandbox was a beautiful map.

Backwash is another map in the dark. Guardian kind of.
Oh right, good call on backwash. Guardian was kinda dark too. I had always wanted a Halo map to change from day to night and everything in between based on when you played on it.

Hypertrooper said:
Do Zealot and Condemned count?
It's always nighttime in space.

Tashi0106 said:
Oh right, good call on backwash. Guardian was kinda dark too. I had always wanted a Halo map to change from day to night and everything in between based on when you played on it.
Me too. The biggest thing I miss from the older maps is the interactive pieces. Trains, moving conveyor belts, etc. I'll take static images in the background any day to have things like that back.

Tashi0106 said:

Ah yes, it wasn't a really prominent feature on that map though so I think that was the reason I couldn't remember it.

Can't really say anything about backwash, but it was in a jungle, right? I'd like a map where the darkness makes a bit of a difference, maybe just some kind of darker tone. That wasn't really the case with Blackout.

Hypertrooper said:
Do Zealot and Condemned count?
Hmmm, I'm not sure actually. There isn't really a day/night cyclus in space, plus those maps mostly space in a space station/ship so I don't think it really counts.

Tawpgun

Gephyrphobia on Halo PC was night.

I don't think they'd make a map where darkness is the mechanic.

But what we need... Is interactive maps. Halo 2 and 3 had tons of buttons and interactive elements... Reach has.... None.

Karl2177

A27 Tawpgun said:

But what we need... Is interactive maps. Halo 2 and 3 had tons of buttons and interactive elements... Reach has.... None.
The closest thing we had to darkness affecting gameplay was Backwash, where the fog limited your vision.

I was more thinking about the levels of darkness as in Nightfall for example, not anoying and no need for night vision but it gives a certain atmosphere to the map.

Striker

A27 Tawpgun said:

If there's conveyor belts, have them smooth out gameplay and allow for faster movement across the map, like Elongation.

Maps with those items or alike: Colossus, Zanzibar, Containment, Elongation, Relic, Terminal (train).

Then you had High Ground, Standoff, Last Resort, and Longshore.

Sadly, things like the switch in Last Resort means nothing since you can still get outside with a flag or escape death. The gate was very crucial for One Flag Zanzibar. The switch to open windows and bottom door in Standoff, I felt, helped the opposing team because it gives more freedom to access the base or toss frags inside. Man, maps where it was NEEDED to hit switches, Zanzibar and Relic, is so lost in recent Halos.

Tunavi said:
So what were they thinking when they designed this game? I watched some Halo 2 gameplay just now and it made me hate the mechanics of Reach so much.

The movement sucks. You're slow as shit. I aways find myself dying because I get trapped in the geometry. In previous games, you could jump on top of and over objects in order to traverse the map.

Grenades are nukes. Oh...and we are slow as shit so thats just adding fuel to the fire. The extreme grenade magnetism is just a joke. Auto-aim for grenades that are already overpowered? Good idea.

Armor abilities get spammed like no other. Wanna jam the other team's radar and be invisible an entire match? Want to be invincible whenever you want? Over-shield was very crucial to map control and influenced map movement. Now you can just spawn with whatever damn ability you want regardless of the situation.

The Halo 2 battle rifle was an elegant weapon. Hitscan made it very controllable. You could fire fast and accurately. Bullet spread saved it from being overpowered at long range. If you fire the DMR unscoped, gameplay feels soooo sloooow. Shoot....wait for bloom to reset...shoot...wait for bloom to reset...ect. Halo 2 BR was BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM. That's FUN. Reach is as slow enough as it is.

Please 343, just go back to the balanced golden triangle for Halo 4. It used to be Gunplay - Grenades - Melee. Hell, you could even say that map movement was just as important as any of those. Now it's Grenades - Melee - Armor abilities - gunplay. In that order of importance. :|

I hate you Sage.

Also, I'd love to see the hitscan Battle Rifle added to Classic map pack.
I agree on all points, but especially on maps. I loved finding shortcuts through maps, innovative jumps and all that. Getting caught on superfluous details is just annoying too.

Someone want to explain the whole Sage/gameplay lead thing to me? I just played the games back in the day; didn't read up on them. Someone got fired and ex-FASA people got brought on right?

Tha Robbertster said:
I was more thinking about the levels of darkness as in Nightfall for example, not anoying and no need for night vision but it gives a certain atmosphere to the map.
Yes, but if you make it too dark it could become difficult to distinguish red and blue, or even give one team color an advantage.

As for gates and other moving peices of a level, I miss them too but I can understand why they're gone. I'd rather take a gateless map over one with a gate prone to network problems.

Hopefully that issue can be solved in future games, I always loved how Zanzibar and High Ground had a switch to give the Attackers a secondary objective.

Even without moving objects you could do something fun with spawning/despawning stationary objects on the map. How cool would it be if there was a switch object you could place and all it does is cause certain tagged objects to despawn. You could place it on Boneyard and have the switch deactivate certain shield doors.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Louis Wu said:
Fixed that for you.
It's in other playlist?

jhFIt.png

xxjuicesxx said:
Doubles has Jetpack.

Genesis Knight said:
Someone want to explain the whole Sage/gameplay lead thing to me? I just played the games back in the day; didn't read up on them. Someone got fired and ex-FASA people got brought on right?
Sage was the sandbox designer from Reach. He previously worked on Shadowrun, a fantastic game, but the same principles don't really work with Halo.

MrBig

ncsuDuncan said:
Yes, but if you make it too dark it could become difficult to distinguish red and blue, or even give one team color an advantage.

As for gates and other moving peices of a level, I miss them too but I can understand why they're gone. I'd rather take a gateless map over one with a gate prone to network problems.

Hopefully that issue can be solved in future games, I always loved how Zanzibar and High Ground had a switch to give the Attackers a secondary objective.

Even without moving objects you could do something fun with spawning/despawning stationary objects on the map. How cool would it be if there was a switch object you could place and all it does is cause certain tagged objects to despawn. You could place it on Boneyard and have the switch deactivate certain shield doors.
Leading up to the launch of Reach they had talked about switch creation in forge. They said they never finished because none of the maps they designed had any use for it and they cut it under time constraints.

Tawpgun

You know how people joked about the whole, don't tell sage he'll nerf it...

That wasn't a joke...

RIP Beta microwave, pistol, pro pipe, repeater, elites...

You know of all things that got nerfed... Why did the elites become so terrible...

ncsuDuncan said:

Yes, this is important. But I think with the amount of darkness on nightfall, this wouldn't be a problem. You can easely see the colours of all the elites, wether they are blue, red or gold.

A27 Tawpgun said:

That wasn't a joke...

You know of all things that got nerfed... Why did the elites become so terrible...
seriously. and the only things that needed nerfs, grenades and maybe rockets, didn't get nerfed.

oh how I miss that beta pro pipe :(

Striker said:
What's mind blowing about that is Reach has sustained about 700,000 to 730,000 daily these past two weeks or so. So MW2 has more than that, which shows how much people still play it. Halo 3 at this stage was netting around the same I believe, but it was going against MW, and later WaW, but weren't as populated as these two.

I've noticed that Reach's population has actually been increasing in the past month or two. I'm surprised that MW2 still holds the 2nd spot.

Tunavi said:

I hate you Sage.

Also, I'd love to see the CE Magnum added to Classic map pack.

Everything you said was perfect except for the last sentence. In all seriousness though, if we are getting classic weapons for the new maps, we need to get all of them. You can't just throw the Magnum in there has have everything else be Reach. It would be broken.

A27 Tawpgun said:

That wasn't a joke...

So sad and so true.

Although the Elites nerf is not fully on the character nerf, every single Covenant weapon in the game was nerfed pretty hard.

MrBig

A27 Tawpgun said:

That wasn't a joke...

Sage: Nerf everything and make the AR stronger

Top Bottom