• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

LAUGHTREY said:
You guys are talking about MLG.

I'm so proud.

The dominance of Instinct aka Final Boss plus the reemergence of Str8 have made things a bit more compelling without a doubt. Just a shame that a map like Anchor 9 or maybe even Tempest (or Forge remakes of other maps on Tempest) probably won't ever see the light of day in MLG unless DLC is made available to everyone sometime soon. Nonetheless the evolution of Reach as a competitive title has still been very interesting to watch.

Might come home this weekend to murk as much Reach as possible before the next college semester. Customs on Saturday?

Sorry about how super annoying I'm being.

xxxstylzxxx said:
The dominance of Instinct aka Final Boss plus the reemergence of Str8 have made things a bit more compelling without a doubt. Just a shame that a map like Anchor 9 or maybe even Tempest (or Forge remakes of other maps on Tempest) probably won't ever see the light of day in MLG unless DLC is made available to everyone sometime soon. Nonetheless the evolution of Reach as a competitive title has still been very interesting to watch.
If the maps fit their purposes, I believe they'd use them. The above had no bearing on whether they included Heretic during Halo 3, which they did. So unless I don't understand your sentiment, I can't see why that would matter.

That said, the Battle/Beaver Creek remake could be a Pro Circuit candidate.

Account Attempt #4 said:
If the maps fit their purposes, I believe they'd use them. The above had no bearing on whether they included Heretic during Halo 3, which they did. So unless I don't understand your sentiment, I can't see why that would matter.

That said, the Battle/Beaver Creek remake could be a Pro Circuit candidate.

MLG specifically said they can't really use paid DLC at events and it's the reason that Anchor 9 is not in their settings. Foundry became free and Heretic was on a disk, so when that came out they just had the mythic disk to use at events.

Lazslo

Random: But this is the best Halo Screen Shot Evar
W4No1.jpg

LAUGHTREY said:
When you over-do your montage like that it makes me suspect on how good someone actually is.

Montages as a whole are dumb. I don't really give a shit unless you're one of the top teams anyway, because I know you're not actually good you just edited all your no-scopes ever together.

I was also being sarcastic about the MLG thing, MLG is a terrible organization.

Montages are for players who are already well known. They are meant to be over-edited and exciting and for entertainment. ESPN does this with sports reel highlights all the time.

Gameplay is what you look at to determine how good a player actually is.

Editing all your good shit together is what a Halo montage actually is. If people find it entertaining to watch then they can do so. They aren't as a whole dumb.

AlmostMilk said:
They really need to add maps that cant be forged if they are adding remakes. I was so mad when I saw they remade damnation when there is a perfectly good to scale remake already in matchmaking. They really need to focus on the bigger maps like headlong, terminal, relic; maps that can't me bade in forge.
YES RELIC PLEASE.

Eh hem... I agree with you. Though tired familiar forerunner shapes make for tired maps.

I love Team Objective.

In every Halo game, every-time I start to get bored, or frustrated, or just disillusioned with the gameplay or sandbox, I can fire up an objective based game (ideally with at least a few friends) and instantly be reminded of why this franchise is the best FPS franchise on the market.

So much fun. So much nuance. So many emergent, 'holy shit' moments. So satisfying.

squidhands said:
Boo.
Either that or they wanted to fuck with people who played the map higher than a kite.
No, no, remaking this map would be the best way to fuck with people who play the map higher than a kite. With the graphical improvements, everything would be so shiny.

Steelyuhas said:
MLG specifically said they can't really use paid DLC at events and it's the reason that Anchor 9 is not in their settings. Foundry became free and Heretic was on a disk, so when that came out they just had the mythic disk to use at events.
Ahhh I seeeeeeee.... thank you for that sir. Indeed I was confused after all.

xxjuicesxx said:
Montages are for players who are already well known. They are meant to be over-edited and exciting and for entertainment. ESPN does this with sports reel highlights all the time.

Editing all your good shit together is what a Halo montage actually is. If people find it entertaining to watch then they can do so. They aren't as a whole dumb.
Usually sports reel highlights don't have multiple edits interrupting the same play though. They usually show the whole play, then show it again from a different angle. That I don't mind.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
xxjuicesxx said:

Highlights would be showing 30-40 seconds uninterrupted, not 2 no-scopes and a quick zoom and then cutting before he gets killed. I want to watch someone in a chamionship game do something that ended up winning their team the game.

Doing something artistic with it with the effects and stuff is a waste too, no ones watching it for all the filters and blurryness.

Lazslo

Tashi0106 said:
Looks like they took the cover system out of Halo 2 before release lol
Haha It really does. Gear of Halo 2 would be pretty wild. It also looks like the dude is about to throw his plasma pistol at the purple guy. We totally should be able to toss a DMR at a guy when out of ammo.

Tawpgun

Man I wish I had the full version.
I'd rock everyons shit so hard. Halo PC was my first Halo Multiplayer Experience. Dat leading shots.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
xxjuicesxx said:

See I disagree with some of this. While I agree that watching a montage is not a great way to tell how good a player is, I don't think a montage should be just effects and over editing. The entertainment, for me at least, comes from the plays themselves. Hardly ever do effects enhance the experience.

Crucio

Not sure if this was mentioned but the Halo Bulletin is up.

Halo: Glasslands confirmed! Yay.

Butane123 said:
What I want to know is if there will be a soundtrack of this that I can purchase.
I would be surprised if there isn't going to be one. Perhaps bsangel can shed some light on that one in the coming weeks.
Otherwise I'm sure that kind of thing will be talked about at PAX.

Tashi0106 said:
See I disagree with some of this. While I agree that watching a montage is not a great way to tell how good a player is, I don't think a montage should be just effects and over editing. The entertainment, for me at least, comes from the plays themselves. Hardly ever do effects enhance the experience.

You need to give the viewer some credit that they can piece together a play through a few different angles and effects...A montage assumes that.

Its why your montages don't yet have thousands of views. No offense, they are good plays and you're a great player, but once you step up your editing I can personally guarantee a huge increase in views.

People really do want the editing, the effects and the synching.

There's probably a thousand tutorials and posts over at H3F by people discussing how to make their videos entertaining for others. A few of them have gone on to start up their own video editing companies. Its why you rarely just see a very plain music video of someone singing or a band playing their song.

Edit: Also I guess you could just be a little old-school and prefer a much more vanilla montage, and also there is definitely a difference between a well edited montage and an over-edited montage.

My buddy who started me on H2 grew out of Halo a few months after H3, but he still occasionally hops on Youtube and watches all the montages.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Crucio said:
Not sure if this was mentioned but the Halo Bulletin is up.

Halo: Glasslands will follow-up the events and characters from Halo: Ghosts of Onyx in the wake of the final events of Halo 3, introducing a wealth of compelling and unexpected new heroes and villains, and taking a galaxy in chaos in some surprising new directions.

Glorious.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
xxjuicesxx said:
You need to give the viewer some credit that they can piece together a play through a few different angles and effects...A montage assumes that.

Its why your montages don't yet have thousands of views. No offense, they are good plays and you're a great player, but once you step up your editing I can personally guarantee a huge increase in views.

People really do want the editing, the effects and the synching.

There's probably a thousand tutorials and posts over at H3F by people discussing how to make their videos entertaining for others. A few of them have gone on to start up their own video editing companies. Its why you rarely just see a very plain music video of someone singing or a band playing their song.

Edit: Also I guess you could just be a little old-school and prefer a much more vanilla montage, and also there is definitely a difference between a well edited montage and an over-edited montage.

My buddy who started me on H2 grew out of Halo a few months after H3, but he still occasionally hops on Youtube and watches all the montages.

I'm not saying that it's not what people want. I'm saying that from my point of view, the montages I make are also the ones I like to watch. Maybe I should just have someone else do them for me instead. Also, these were just weekly montages. I don't promote them like what people would normally do for a full montage. I just posted them here.

The more vanilla, plain montages are definitely what I prefer.

Tawpgun

Imagine that landscape. Half of Africa a burning, glassed barren land.

But if it follows the Onyx crew... Do they make it back to Reach or Earth? Perhaps we get a glimpse of whats happening away from Chief.

I'm so excited. They're actually advancing the universe instead of sticking to the covenant war.

Really interesting stuff on the remastered audio.
bsangel said:
Halo: Glasslands will follow-up the events and characters from Halo: Ghosts of Onyx in the wake of the final events of Halo 3, introducing a wealth of compelling and unexpected new heroes and villains, and taking a galaxy in chaos in some surprising new directions.
I am...cautious. Not cautiously optimistic, just cautious. Don't me wrong – the premise sounds great. I'm excited to read about what happens with Dr. Halsey and the rest of the crew. But I'd be much more comfortable, and much more excited, if Nylund were taking up the sequel. Traviss has some big shoes to fill, and judging from her story in Evolutions, she's not up to the challenge. But maybe I need to go back to Evolutions and read her story again.

Still cautious.

Edit: So, hopefully, we'll be getting three doses of Halo goodness by the end of this year: Halo: Grasslands, Anniversary, and Greg Bear's second novel.

MrBig

So yeah, Timberland's is about the size of Highlands, maybe a little smaller, with vehicles paths circling the map and big valley in the middle. It's pretty good for its simplicity. Didn't get any good games on it.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
That last paragraph in the update was awesome. Halo: Glasslands more than likely seems to be a tease for Halo 4's eventual story, new characters, and more. Excite!

Crucio

I'm thinking Greg Bear's second Halo novel will probably come out on Cryptum's anniversary, to give Glasslands some breathing space.
However, we'll probably know for sure come Halofest!

Tawpgun

Crucio said:
I'm thinking Greg Bear's second Halo novel will probably come out on Cryptum's anniversary, to give Glasslands some breathing space.
However, we'll probably know for sure come Halofest!
I'm hoping a week before Halo 4 so I can get some more forerunner goodness in.

Top Bottom