• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

A27 Tawpgun said:
I sort of want to play with woorloog. He's a 45 in H3 which is respectable at least, but he's an AR user.

Somehow I think in Lone Wolves the weapon of choice has to be the BR lol, unless he whored power weapons. :p

Woorloog

Banned
A27_StarWolf said:
I like you, I hate DMR close range.
DMR close range... ugh...
I prefer BR to DMR so much. Damn bloom. Err, spread. As i said, showing the spread in the crosshair is fine, making it a game mechanic, ie making us to track it, is not.

Bread said:
I miss the ranking system :(
Yeah. I haven't even touched the Arena in Reach (i did play it in the Beta) because it doesn't feel the same.

bobs99 ... said:
Somehow I think in Lone Wolves the weapon of choice has to be the BR lol, unless he whored power weapons. :p
Of course i pick up a power weapon whenever i can.
I mostly used BR in Lone Wolves though i really cannot remember much from invidual games. I once got like 3-5 Swords matches in a row and won them all. I got lucky very often...

LosDaddie said:
GGs last night, Mikas, Devo, Sai and Ghal. Sorry I brought down the team :)

Don't be so hard on yourself, especially if you've been absent. I'm just a freak who had several months absence but came back to the game as if I never put it down. I can't play any other game like I can Halo. So just laugh at the thought of me sucking ass at CoD.

Louis Wu

Havok said:
Yeah, that'd be a real waste of 4 minutes on Nightfall.
Yeah... not really.

Dunno if it's just my bad luck, or what... but the speedrun simply WASN'T going my way this morning. First few times, the jetpacking rangers facemelted me before I even got to the first building. This has happened before; restarting from checkpoint means they're still up there, so I restarted the level.

Eventually go through that - but couldn't get to the gutas; kept getting killed as I ran past elites. (This rarely happens to me, I'll give you that.)

I eventually just decided to thin the herd before running through to the gutas - but this is harder than I'd realized if you've run past everything in the FIRST section, because now you're pinched. Fine, I eventually finish it - but I pass the Guta section at about 8.5 minutes. wtf.

I sprint to the umbrella - and everything's already awake. I can't assassinate the elite and his grunt buddies, because they're shooting at me as I come around the corner. I'm really low on sniper ammo, too. I use the DMR that's right at the start of that section to finish off the grunts, and by the time I do, the elite's headed for the back - okay, no problem, I'll just rush Forky, glitch through the gate, and be on my way.

Didn't look carefully at my timer - got through the gate at 11:45. You can't run that last section in less than about 40 seconds. :(

I eventually made it by stopping after the first section, wiping out the bigger stuff FAST, and running the rest. Screen went black at about 11 minutes.

Total expired time was well over an hour, though.

Maybe I should have left it for another day - seems like it's a luck thing, sometimes.

Havok

Louis Wu said:
Yeah... not really.

Dunno if it's just my bad luck, or what... but the speedrun simply WASN'T going my way this morning. First few times, the jetpacking rangers facemelted me before I even got to the first building. This has happened before; restarting from checkpoint means they're still up there, so I restarted the level.

Eventually go through that - but couldn't get to the gutas; kept getting killed as I ran past elites. (This rarely happens to me, I'll give you that.)

I eventually just decided to thin the herd before running through to the gutas - but this is harder than I'd realized if you've run past everything in the FIRST section, because now you're pinched. Fine, I eventually finish it - but I pass the Guta section at about 8.5 minutes. wtf.

I sprint to the umbrella - and everything's already awake. I can't assassinate the elite and his grunt buddies, because they're shooting at me as I come around the corner. I'm really low on sniper ammo, too. I use the DMR that's right at the start of that section to finish off the grunts, and by the time I do, the elite's headed for the back - okay, no problem, I'll just rush Forky, glitch through the gate, and be on my way.

Didn't look carefully at my timer - got through the gate at 11:45. You can't run that last section in less than about 40 seconds. :(

I eventually made it by stopping after the first section, wiping out the bigger stuff FAST, and running the rest. Screen went black at about 11 minutes.

Maybe I should have left it for another day - seems like it's a luck thing, sometimes.
Holy cow, today isn't your lucky day, it seems (Mine took roughly 5 minutes including loads). There are a few things about that level that are random, as you mentioned. The Rangers will either jump to the first building (in which case you are royally screwed) or the farther one, and there's a random Elite spawn in that area as well. The area before the gutas (it took your post to remember what their names were) is probably the toughest part, since you have to snipe the grunt in the turret, then put a box behind yourself so the Ultra doesn't waste you. The enemies being awake at the umbrella is entirely preventable, thankfully -- if you run too quickly through the canyon after the contraband rebels' area towards the hydro plant, Jun will spawn in front of you and immediately begin firing, which you likely wouldn't notice since it's a fair distance ahead. If you wait for him a bit after he drops down to hide from the overhead dropship, it won't happen. It's a weird behavior, but at least its easy to spot. Nightfall is an interesting beast, for most other levels I'd seek guidance from HighSpeedHalo guys, but for some reason, I was always able to tell what was going wrong here.

GhaleonEB

I had similar luck this morning. I couldn't get to the gutas but once, and when I did I got pasted by a Grunt of all things. No checkpoint, so that set me back. But I couldn't ever kill the turret gunner and dash out fast enough. Half the time, something hopped on the turret again and killed me as I ran, the other half I take Nerfle rounds to the back until dead. Did several restarts to reset the spawns, but no luck.

Hey You

Woorloog said:
It seems that i'm exactly on the opposite end of HaloGaf's ideal player spectrum eh?
Deal with it *grins*
Same. I'm the kind of guy that likes to play the Living Dead playlist, which seems that most of HaloGaf dislikes.

:)

Plasmid

Louis Wu said:
Yeah... not really.

Damn that's unlucky.

I was just going for the challenge and not necessarily trying to haul ass the entire way, my first run the building before the gutas had an elite in it, got there with 1 health left and he kicked me :lol.

Gutas weren't hard, just ran through jumping a lot, grunts almost got me, the grunts were asleep and the elite was easy to kill because he was looking off the bridge. The forklift took me around 4 minutes which killed it for me :(, i would've probably finished at around 6 minutes.

e:

How long does it take for a spartan to update!

Woorloog

Banned
Hey You said:
Same. I'm the kind of guy that likes to play the Living Dead playlist, which seems that most of HaloGaf dislikes.

Hey, Living Dead is fun even though it's complete shit. It's so damn awesome attack my friend (human with shotgun in an open ara) as a zombie, watch as he gets lucky, blasts me and then 3 other zombies in a row.
Seriously, the map selection is awful... but it's sort of "So bad it's good".

Louis Wu said:
Yeah... not really.

Hmm, I had the exact same problems as you, simply restarting the entire level helped, but I still found it a little tougher than normal.

Hey You said:

I really want to get the undead nightmare

heckfu

Banned
Highest Halo 3 level and which playlist.

44 Lone Wolves and before the reset like a 42 in Swat.

AR or BR?

BR, duh.

Favorite multiplayer map from Halo 2 and 3 (one of each).

Really enjoyed Turf from 2. Always a fun map. And Blackout, if I have to pick.

Do you prefer BTB or MLG?

BTB

Competitive multiplayer or Firefight?

Ehh...competitive multiplayer? Am I passing yet?

Games completed on Legendary.

Reach and CE.

Are you EazyB?

Unfortunately, no.

Favorite Campaign missions (all games).

The Maw, Outskirts, The Covenant, Kikowani Station (eh?), and Winter Contingency (or Long Night of Solace).

Favorite Reach playlists.

TS, BTB, Swat, and really whatever else. I can jam on some team snipers if I need to.

Size of frankie erotica folder (in megabytes).

69 MB. Get it? It's a 69 joke.

Opinion on reticule bloom.

I only like it because Sai hates it.

Opinion on Armor Abilities and the one you favor.

Eh, I mean it added a new dynamic. Canon-wise I hate it, mechanic-wise I tolerate it. Jetpack.

Why are you a Halo fan?

Oh man, Halo CE unlocked this sleeping giant inside me and ever since I just really can't quit playing. After playing for a good amount of time I started reading some of the books and getting into the ARGs. Been a pretty righteous time.

Favorite Halogaffer, and least favorite. (optional)

Least favorite is ZayneH. That's all you need to know.

Now feel free to introduce yourself and/or share anything you want so we get to know you better, we'd love to read it. (optional)

I'm in pharmacy school and have about 10 more months until I become a fake doctor. This is a good distraction and from the guys and girls I've played with it seems like an awesome community to be a part of. That and I need new places to troll.

Tawpgun

DMR close range is all about the strafe. Its the only range the pathetic reach strafe works.

And living dead is good mindless fun. I play it whenever I'm waiting in someone. Its just annoying because there are annoying exploits on many of the maps.

Woorloog

Banned
I wouldn't say Halo 2 sucks though i do dislike the amount of glitches in it. Strongly.
And yes, Living Dead is mindless fun.

But could someone enlighten me about this EazyB thing? Or is it like "Rule 1, Don't ask about EazyB?"

Louis Wu said:

I tried doing it, wasted about 8 minutes getting repeatedly killed, but I just restarted the mission, which helps a lot as the elites which kept on killing me focussed on Jun instead, leading to a very easy run besides the elite on the bridge at Powerhouse seeing me a couple times.

Woorloog said:
I wouldn't say Halo 2 sucks though i do dislike the amount of glitches in it. Strongly.

But could someone enlighten me about this EazyB thing? Or is it like "Rule 1, Don't ask about EazyB?"

EazyB is The Great Journey.

God dammit.

So my friend missed getting a PAX badge when they were for sale (Baily, for those of you that met him last year). I went to check Craigslist/Ebay to see what they were selling for... Those fucks are charging $200.00 for a 3-Day Badge. What is wrong with people. I really, really wish they could do something to stop scalpers from scooping up all of the tickets. :(

If anyone knows where I could get a 3-Day badge for a decent price I would appreciate it.

Thank You

Hey You

Woorloog said:
Hey, Living Dead is fun even though it's complete shit. It's so damn awesome attack my friend (human with shotgun in an open ara) as a zombie, watch as he gets lucky, blasts me and then 3 other zombies in a row.
Seriously, the map selection is awful... but it's sort of "So bad it's good".
I agree, Community maps and a variety of gametypes would have made the playlist so awesome.

If 343i decides to continue updating Reach's playlists, I'll be making some suggestions for LD.

bobs99 ... said:

I really want to get the undead nightmare
Do eeet! Best $10 I've ever spent on a DLC.

heckfu said:
I'm in pharmacy school and have about 10 more months until I become a fake doctor. This is a good distraction and from the guys and girls I've played with it seems like an awesome community to be a part of. That and I need new places to troll.
Congrats to you! I work with Pharmacists almost every day. Every one I come in contact with is very easy to work with. A good lot you're joining the ranks of.

FyreWulff

Weekly done. 42 in a row!

I think the game gave me like 10 checkpoints as I was running through the empty last area on Nightfall. Sometimes you get the checkpoint dumptruck, sometimes it's stingy with them..

Woorloog said:

We cannot make you understand. You must travel to Lake Minetonka to understand.

After playing Red Dead im finding that im even more dissapointed with the narrative of Reach.

Reach AND Red Dead spoilers:

I literally felt gutted when John Marston died, I actually did feel a real attachment to that character, and so when they killed him off it really was emotional. To the level that going after Edgar Ross with Jake felt like a personal revenge mission. With the entirety of Noble team though it was far from tragic, it was more comic watching them die one by one in almost ridiculous ways. Im not sure what Bungie could have done better, but even Noble 6's death felt more like a cool gimmick than anything.

Woorloog said:
Didn't really help. Unless the Great Journey is supposed to be a hint.
*Searches EazyB*

The Great Journey is a path us feeble puny humans can not tread.

"You are, all of you, vermin. Cowering in the dirt, thinking....what? That you might escape the coming fire? Your world will burn until it's surface is but glass."

That path is for EazyB alone.

Woorloog

Banned
Uhh... i'll drop it. Maybe i'll learn what happened eventually.

Tell me, did you like Gephyrophobia in Halo PC? Would a similar map work in Halo Reach?

bobs99 ... said:
After playing Red Dead im finding that im even more dissapointed with the narrative of Reach.

Reach AND Red Dead spoilers:

I literally felt gutted when John Marston died, I actually did feel a real attachment to that character, and so when they killed him off it really was emotional. To the level that going after Edgar Ross with Jake felt like a personal revenge mission. With the entirety of Noble team though it was far from tragic, it was more comic watching them die one by one in almost ridiculous ways. Im not sure what Bungie could have done better, but even Noble 6's death felt more like a cool gimmick than anything.
Noble 6's death didn't feel like anything because of the lack of heart the character himself had. A soldier to his core and raised from an orphan to be a soldier, Bungie did nothing to help empathize you to his character, even in death.

What would have impacted his death even more for any player (but would have more meaning to the hardcore book readers):
As Noble 6 is dying, he has flashbacks of his mother/father dying at the hands of the Covenant. Perhaps he says something "For vengeance, mother", kills a few more Elites, then is struck to the ground.

It is easy to relate to someone who has suffered loss, which most of the Spartan IIIs suffered and as a result fuel their service to the UNSC. The story in Reach didn't go there when it easily could have.

MrBig

Woorloog said:
Uhh... i'll drop it. Maybe i'll learn what happened eventually.

Tell me, did you like Gephyrophobia in Halo PC? Would a similar map work in Halo Reach?
:lol that map is about infantry and vehicle interplay, and would be a joke with Reach's banshee and ground vehicle physics.

Woorloog

Banned
MrBig said:
:lol that map is about infantry and vehicle interplay, and would be a joke with Reach's banshee and ground vehicle physics.
Yeah well, i know that Banshees are OP. But similar map? Say a couple of Falcons, enough AA weapons, otherwise infantry combat on bridges?
Just wondering, i have a such map sitting unfinished on my 360's HDD, it needs some tweaking and then it can be tested. And tweaked. And tested.

Homeboyd said:
Anyone here manage to snag one from the first round?
I did. Two, actually, though one of them is for Ghaleon. I'll probably try to snag another one or two this Thursday, since I'm sure more HaloGAF folk could use help getting one.

It's going to be an exercise in self control to not peek into Ghaleon's bag. Hopefully he gets the one with $30 worth of leftover Gonbare Nippon bracelets...
heckfu said:
How much did they sell for, anyway? Price was taken down, too, after they sold out.
$30 plus shipping (which for me was $10 but it varies wildly depending on location).

Homeboyd

ncsuDuncan said:
I did. Two, actually, though one of them is for Ghaleon. I'll probably try to snag another one or two this Thursday, since I'm sure more HaloGAF folk could use help getting one.
Good looking out brotha.

It's going to be an exercise in self control to not peek into Ghaleon's bag.
Yeah... this was my first thought. Super Ultra Mega Swag Bag for Duncan

Highest Halo 3 level and which playlist.
47 in SWAT and 46 in Snipes

AR or BR?
BR. fuck the AR.

Favorite multiplayer map from Halo 2 and 3 (one of each).
Lockout from Halo 2 and tie between Guardian (dem shortcuts) and The Pit for Halo 3 (MLG versions for both)

Do you prefer BTB or MLG?
MLG, but only if I have a team.

Competitive multiplayer or Firefight?

Multiplayer. I get bored of Firefight really quickly.

Games completed on Legendary.
Everything but ODST.

Are you EazyB?
nope

Favorite Campaign missions (all games).
Silent Cartographer was fun

Favorite Reach playlists.

Team Classic is the only thing that's close to fun, but it still doesn't quite make it.

Size of frankie erotica folder (in megabytes).
0 mb

Opinion on reticule bloom.

so bad.

Opinion on Armor Abilities and the one you favor.
worst idea Bungie ever had. ranges between kinda useful, completely useless, and game-breaking (Armor Lock and Jetpacks). I only use sprint.

Why are you a Halo fan?
Halo CE's multiplayer, 16-person LAN's for CE, 2, 3 Beta

Favorite Halogaffer, and least favorite. (optional)
I don't really know anyone here

Now feel free to introduce yourself and/or share anything you want so we get to know you better, we'd love to read it. (optional)
well I'm zero, I play halo but am extremely fed up with Reach. I'm always up for Halo 3, and especially MLG customs if anyone actually likes them aside from me.

GhaleonEB

ncsuDuncan said:

It's going to be an exercise in self control to not peek into Ghaleon's bag. Hopefully he gets the one with $30 worth of leftover Gonbare Nippon bracelets...
Heh. I fully - and understandably - expect the bag to be looted for the best items. :p

I'll be trying like mad on Thursday to snag one of my own so you can help out another GAFer, but it's comforting to know you snagged one for me.

I hope a general time frame is communicated for when they go live, I can block my work calendar and do the F5 thing.
Plasmid said:
For fleet fleet, can you do it in co-op? My friends wants help doing it and i'm just gonna rush him through it if possible.
I'm sure you can. Specifiying whether a campaign run must be done "Alone" or "co-op" is something done before, and all that do not specify can be done either.

Epitaph was good once they took the shield doors off

Shield doors on it just didn't work too well with the lag over Live and general latency, and they weren't even programmed that well, you could nade underneath the one door. Sometimes you could shoot with the BR and the long shot of the 3 spread bullets could mean one or two would land if you walked through it and timed it right...it just wasn't cool.

It played really well for Doubles BR Slayer. Timing the overshield camo snipe and rockets meant the entire map almost had a flow to it the entire time you played it.

The sight lines and jumps made for really great double team traps once you learned how to get around the map really well.

1Flag was a joke though, I've never seen a more often tied objective gametype in my Halo days.

Homeboyd

GhaleonEB said:
I'm sure you can. Specifiying whether a campaign run must be done "Alone" or "co-op" is something done before, and all that do not specify can be done either.
I thought the same but it appears it has to be done solo. Haven't verified personally yet but you'll see about 13 threads a minute pop up on the lolreach forum complaining that Bungie dun stol their credits.

Reach and Halo 3 made me miss H2 maps so bad. And the remakes in Reach are absolute shit, especially if they're remade with forge. Nades bounce all wrong, shit isn't to scale. Big team could use some h2 maps especially, with exact scale and elements, but ::pipe dream::.

H2 maps I miss:

Midship
Headlong
Terminal
Beaver Creek
Foundation (zombie lulz)
Lockout (the real version not Blackout or the forge one in reach, ugh)
Sanctuary
Turf
Warlock

Hell even Containment and Waterworks are better than the piece of shit maps currently in Big Team.

GhaleonEB said:
Heh. I fully - and understandably - expect the bag to be looted for the best items. :p
"Whoa, my Bag O' Swag had ANOTHER Bag O' Swag inside! Awesome!"

*mails Ghaleon a ziploc freezer bag*

Contents:
- a broken Xbox 1 controller (The Duke™) with "HALO" written on it in permanent marker
- an unlabeled CD-R with a pirated copy of Halo PC. No serial key.
- a crayon drawing of Urk signed by someone who can't correctly spell "Lorraine McLees"
- a scrap of paper with "Jason Jones' phone number" on it

But seriously, I'm not even going to tempt myself. As soon as I get the box from Amazon I'm just going to take one bag out and pack the other one up to mail before I even look inside. You're still paying the normal price, it's only fair that you get a normal chance at sweet loot.

Top Bottom