• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

GhaleonEB

Homeboyd said:
I thought the same but it appears it has to be done solo. Haven't verified personally yet but you'll see about 13 threads a minute pop up on the lolreach forum complaining that Bungie dun stol their credits.
Interesting, the Challenge description is incomplete again (something that has been occuring often lately).

Would be a shame, I was going to speed run it with my daughter.

It's worth mentioning once again that this is the kind of thing that makes for a fun daily Challenge, but seems wasted as a weekly.

Homeboyd

GhaleonEB said:
It's worth mentioning once again that this is the kind of thing that makes for a fun daily Challenge, but seems wasted as a weekly.
Agreed. My best guess is that on some of these non-grinder weekly's, they simply wanted to give people who may not have access to Reach 7 days a week a chance to knock one out once in a while when they do get a few minutes to jump on.

Terrible excuse, I know... but there's literally no other reason I could think of having a weekly like this (or the other ones like it).

Devolution said:
Reach and Halo 3 made me miss H2 maps so bad. And the remakes in Reach are absolute shit, especially if they're remade with forge. Nades bounce all wrong, shit isn't to scale. Big team could use some h2 maps especially, with exact scale and elements, but ::pipe dream::.

H2 maps I miss:

Midship
Headlong
Terminal
Beaver Creek
Foundation (zombie lulz)
Lockout (the real version not Blackout or the forge one in reach, ugh)
Sanctuary
Turf
Warlock

Hell even Containment and Waterworks are better than the piece of shit maps currently in Big Team.
And playing Reach made me miss Halo 3 maps

Guardian
The Pit
Narrows
Construct
Valhalla

only with BR starts of course, and often without radar

thezerofire said:
And playing Reach made me miss Halo 3 maps

Guardian
The Pit
Narrows
Construct
Valhalla

only with BR starts of course, and often without radar

Construct and narrows were terrible and yet still less shit than Atom and Cliffhanger.

Devolution said:
Construct and narrows were terrible and yet still less shit than Atom and Cliffhanger.
MLG versions were much better, but not the most recent ones for Construct. Narrows was great for flag, and radar ruins Construct

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Hey You said:
I agree, Community maps and a variety of gametypes would have made the playlist so awesome.

If 343i decides to continue updating Reach's playlists, I'll be making some suggestions for LD.

Of course we're going to continue to update Reach playlists. After Bungie ties the bow.

Kuroyume

Banned
Even the shittiest original map... Let's say Valhalla... Is going to be better than a Forge map any fucking time. That goes without saying.

FyreWulff

OuterWorldVoice said:
Of course we're going to continue to update Reach playlists. After Bungie ties the bow.

Can you give us a hint one way or another if you're going to be using the Community Cartographers?

We're sitting here all ready to go and stuff.

Homeboyd

OuterWorldVoice said:
That's one way to look at it... I personally wouldn't consider it a gift worth welcoming. Then again, I wouldn't know what the hell to do with it if I had it.

Jeremiah has some thick skin. I'd imagine he's happy to pass it off to you guys. Looking forward to a fresh set of hands turning the knobs to see what you guys come up with though.

giggity

OuterWorldVoice said:

Make sure they wash their hands first. They're going to be handling a lot of uncooked meat next week, packaging steaks and mailing them to me.

Kuroyume

Banned
What I want to know is if 343 will actually listen to us. Will they finally remove Evade from all the playlists (or Spartans at the least) or will they act like Bungie and pretend they know what's good for us? DERRRRRR ENJOY ROCKET HOG RACE ON REFLECTION DERRRRR

Homeboyd

Kuroyume said:
What I want to know is if 343 will actually listen to us. Will they finally remove Evade from all the playlists (or Spartans at the least) or will they act like Bungie and pretend they know what's good for us? DERRRRRR ENJOY ROCKET HOG RACE ON REFLECTION DERRRRR
Personally, I think the Banshee starts on Swordbase sounded pretty sweet.

FyreWulff

Kuroyume said:

Well, I hope they take notes from the Reach designers from Bungie and the ones that went to 343 and pretty much maintain Bungie's vision for the game. Because if they drastically change the game that they didn't make, it'd be very apparent and feel off.

They can do whatever the hell they want with Halo 4, though, as that is their game.

Bungie has actually listened to people. But just because they don't instantly implement every single suggestion doesn't mean they're not listening - they consider suggestions from internet forums, but actual real in game voting data holds more weight for them, because that amount of data absolutely dwarfs the amount of data from forum opinions. You're looking at your tiny pie slice of the experience while Bungie can see the entire pie at once.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
FyreWulff said:
Bungie has actually listened to people. But just because they don't instantly implement every single suggestion doesn't mean they're not listening - they consider suggestions from internet forums, but actual real in game voting data holds more weight for them, because that amount of data absolutely dwarfs the amount of data from forum opinions. You're looking at your tiny pie slice of the experience while Bungie can see the entire pie at once.

DMRs are coming out though. Blanket replace with rockets.

Ramirez

I'm not sure why, but I've been reading through the old Halo 3 thread, it was so much better than our Reach threads have been. Half of the people in there are banned now though, lol. I came across the time I helped Metroid get his Brigadier rank, a feat that shaved years off my life I'm sure.

So much hope in this post:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11247258&postcount=52783

Then shot down a few posts later:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11248004&postcount=52794

Then when he finally did get it, Thermight chimes in with "I know I'll get there some day!" A guy who hoped to achieve Brig status is now 35% Onyx, oh Reach.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11263556&postcount=52920

I ruined all of EazyB's plans, in hindsight, I shouldn't have helped.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11263899&postcount=52926

<3 Halo 3 OT.

Hydranockz and I failed to impress at Halo in Belfast this past weekend.
Dani was right about the poor maps & gametypes for the tourney. *excuses excuses*

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Devolution said:

MLG versions turned them into great maps.

Also MLG Pit is 288288820902984X better than Bungie Pit. Just a few well placed boxes makes a world of difference.

speaking of Halo 3, does anyone want to help me finally get my 50? got 47 in swat and 46 in snipes without a team, but couldn't get any farther without good people. I'm not that good at it anymore though...

Tashi0106 said:
MLG versions turned them into great maps.

Also MLG Pit is 288288820902984X better than Bungie Pit. Just a few well placed boxes makes a world of difference.
and no attics

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Zeouterlimits said:
Dani was right about the poor maps & gametypes for the tourney. *excuses excuses*

There are some good players in Ireland for sure but poorly organised tournaments aren't the best way to go about leveling the playing fields.

Did you enjoy the AR starts on Boneyard? =P

My fiancee was in the artist's Alley with Zenpop and a good friend of mine was selling Pocky in the main hall. Hope you lined his pockets.

Zeouterlimits said:
You should be happy to have some tournaments. :/ Here in germans happens nothing like tournaments or LAN-parties :/ And there is only a midnightlaunch for games like WoW. :/

GhaleonEB

OuterWorldVoice said:
Please don't abandon Firefight updates. The playlists could use some love. Suggestions, I has them.
Dani said:
Construct benefited the most with the loss of radar. Lift camping on that map was disgusting.
Lifts, when used as a key feature of any map, get camped like hell. I don't understand why they're used like in Construct (or Spire). (Latest example, Sword Base.) When used as an auxiliary movement route like on Countdown they can work well. Any time I see a new map that features lifts as a primary choke point I get this feeling of despair.

Ramirez

FyreWulff said:
Countdown is basically Construct but done correctly

And now you'll notice how similiar they are FOREVER

I'm quite partial to how easy it is to call stuff out on CD.

"Guy on 3rd floor...orange side...wait, they're both orange." *guy gets away*

Tawpgun

I want a 343 playlist when they take control. In it are their definitive Halo experience maps and gametypes. So we know what to expect.

Because after witnessing the choices made at 343 playdates... I'm worried.

Also, bs angel should try to get a GAF account since she is community manager.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
FyreWulff said:
Countdown is basically Construct but done correctly

And now you'll notice how similiar they are FOREVER
Countdown is the only good map on Reach, there I said it.

<3 u countdow
Ramirez said:
I'm quite partial to how easy it is to call stuff out on CD.

"Guy on 3rd floor...orange side...wait, they're both orange." *guy gets away*
Red side or Blue side, for whatever side they spawn at the beginning is what I do.

A27 Tawpgun said:
I want a 343 playlist when they take control. In it are their definitive Halo experience maps and gametypes. So we know what to expect.

We have a lot of 343i dudes here. OuterWorldVoice and lybertyboy do a good job right now. There is even a NeoGaf Insider joke in the last Sparkast.

FyreWulff

GhaleonEB said:
Please don't abandon Firefight updates. The playlists could use some love. Suggestions, I has them.

Lifts, when used as a key feature of any map, get camped like hell. I don't understand why they're used like in Construct (or Spire). (Latest example, Sword Base.) When used as an auxiliary movement route like on Countdown they can work well. Any time I see a new map that features lifts as a primary choke point I get this feeling of despair.

This is why Countdown is a better version of Construct. The small lift rooms are tiny (ie easily grenadable) so you're not going to last long inside of one with a sword for long. Both entrances into the lift rooms are also wide open, and you can shoot through the grating into them.

The yellow lift side of Construct is now 3 separate lifts that you can now not only enter from 2 different levels like the original Construct, but you aren't forced to go all the way to the top - you can elect to lift up to the inside. Much harder to camp and the top exit is very exposed, so you shouldn't hang around it too long.

Hey You

OuterWorldVoice said:
I didn't know if you guys were planning on updating on a regular basis. Can't assume that sorta thing right? Taking over support doesn't necessary meaning updating the playlists often, could mean just hosting the reach servers and such.

But I'm glad you guys will continue to update them, hopefully all the way till Halo 4 hits.

Homeboyd said:
There's a new one coming post-Bungie day correct? Think I read that somewhere... Ellis' twitter? Can't remember.
Dan Ayoub said over twitter, that they had finished the recording of a new Sparkast. I don't know if lybertyboy said a specific time frame at twitter.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
A27 Tawpgun said:

As awesome as BS Angel is (and she's very, very awesome), I wouldn't let her near the playlist master control suite.

Besides, her role is similar to Urk's role at Bungie. Urk doesn't touch the playlists so there's no reason to assume BS angel will be so in future.

And yeah, she needs an account here for sure.

FyreWulff

I'd be very impressed by 343 if they actually update Halo 3 one last time. Halo 3 is in dire need of playlist consolidation.

And run Team Melee as a DEXP one last time so I can hit Playlist General in it.

Dani said:
Did you enjoy the AR starts on Boneyard? =P

My fiancee was in the artist's Alley with Zenpop and a good friend of mine was selling Pocky in the main hall. Hope you lined his pockets.
Heh. It wasn't that we did poorly per say, we actually did well, but the team in the lead crushed the poorer players (it was Multi-Team) more aggressively than we did. The Starcraft 2 tourney was pretty great in comparison.

Oh, I would have said hello had I known. We certainly bought some Pocky, I'd never had Hazelnut Pocky before.

Hope to increase my Reach time if I can juggle all of my commitments better.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
FyreWulff said:
This is why Countdown is a better version of Construct. The small lift rooms are tiny (ie easily grenadable) so you're not going to last long inside of one with a sword for long. Both entrances into the lift rooms are also wide open, and you can shoot through the grating into them.

The yellow lift side of Construct is now 3 separate lifts that you can now not only enter from 2 different levels like the original Construct, but you aren't forced to go all the way to the top - you can elect to lift up to the inside. Much harder to camp and the top exit is very exposed, so you shouldn't hang around it too long.

You have blown my small peanut-sized brain.

Zeouterlimits said:
Heh. It wasn't that we did poorly per say, we actually did well, but the team in the lead crushed the poorer players (it was Multi-Team) more aggressively than we did. The Starcraft 2 tourney was pretty great in comparison.

Multi-team tournie? So glad I missed out. LOL

Striker

Ramirez said:
I forgot, you think Relic was some shining beacon of hope for map making.
Construct is, and was garbage. Narrows had horrifying spawn problems and was only good for flag, and even that, it was average compared to any other Halo 4v4 symmetric map. It's good compared to Isolation or default Foundry, sure.

Top Bottom