• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

PNut

Banned
FyreWulff said:
Rotate these DEXPs every month
Social Living Dead
Mythic Brawl
Social Skirmish (add SWAT 2 Flag to rotation)
Team Doubles

ship it

I can go into more detail about these decisions that I would make if you want.

Add Rocket Race in their and you have a deal. It was the 3rd most popular DEXP after all. And why would you want playlists that already have a home in the rotation?

Edit- But I'd just be happy if they did any type of update to H3.

xxjuicesxx said:
How do people know this is Jeremiah? Twitter or something?

Skillzzz bro

Nah, I was suspicious when I read his first post, so I clicked on his profile and his employment and gamertag matched his.

or its EazyB trollin hard

FyreWulff

PNut said:
Add Rocket Race in their and you have a deal. It was the 3rd most popular DEXP after all. And why would you want playlists that already have a home in the rotation?

Edit- But I'd just be happy if they did any type of update to H3.

I'd put Rocket Race in there too, but I'm imagining this as "one last update", so they'd probably have to set it up for the same 4 DEXPs over and over again.

Playlists becoming DEXPs will help player consolidation.

If there was say a 2 month rotation, I'd add Rocket Race, 3 Ball, convert SWAT or Snipes to a DEXP, and Grifball or MLG.

However, Rocket Race DOES exist in Multi Team already. Which is why I left it out of the other ones. Social Skirmish is essentially Throwback, hence making it a DEXP anyway.

Essentially my goal would be: eliminate redundant playlists, eliminate playlists that the creators no longer maintain or care for (MLG), emphasize unique experiences between the ones that are left and rotate the popular DEXPs and fringe playlists that already exist.

At the bare minimum, Team Mythic is redundant and Rumble Pit makes 7 on the 7th redundant.

No I saw his profile. Just meant someone could have Eazily just wrote that in. Thought maybe he mentioned it somewhere.

You have an alt Jeremiah right? You couldn't possibly have only played 200 games of Reach.

FyreWulff said:
Ranked
Lone Wolves (cannot be removed anyway)
Team Slayer
Team Marksman (SWAT + Snipes combined into one list, SWAT vetoes into Snipes, Snipes into SWAT)

Social
Social Slayer
Multi Team
Social Big Team

7 on the 7th
7 on 7th FFA on Mythic only, add Longshore to rotation. This replaces Rumble Pit as the Social FFA list.

Rotate these DEXPs every month that require all DLC
Social Living Dead
Mythic Brawl
Social Skirmish (add SWAT 2 Flag to rotation + Team Flag gametypes + Team Control gametypes)
Team Doubles

ship it

I can go into more detail about these decisions that I would make if you want.

I know you know your stuff, and I agree with you in terms of what you think but there are literally tiny communities who call certain playlists there home. I agree with the vast majority of your ideas but with the team marksman idea im not so sure. You would alienate a lot of the guys who love and only play Snipes and a lot of the swat only guys by merging those 2 playlists. After all while the marksman idea is good on paper those playlists require totally different skillsets and play pretty differently.

I like the idea of the rotating dexp's and I dont know why that isnt already implimented tbh.

FyreWulff

I think it was a mistake to ever rank SWAT, but to be honest if I could, SWAT would just outright become a Social DEXP with only Snipes remaining a normal ranked playlist because it has no objectives (and therefore more potential population).

Team SWAT became a shitfest back when it became ranked in Halo 2 and ended up deleted for a while, eventually coming back (properly) unranked. I still don't understand why they ranked SWAT in Halo 3, honestly. It should have remained a Social DEXP.

So I guess if I'm ignoring all player data:

Ranked
Lone Wolves
Team Slayer
Team Snipers

Social
Social Slayer
Multi Team
Social Big Team

7 on the 7th
Rumble Pit on Mythic and Mythic 2 maps only + gametypes from both RP and 7on7

DEXPs
Mythic Brawl (ranked)
Social Skirmish (Team Flag + Action Sack gametypes added)
Team Doubles (ranked)
Team SWAT (ranked or unranked)
Rocket Race
Social Living Dead
3-Ball
Grifball or MLG (I'd hold a discussion with the people in charge with both and see who would be more interested in continuing support for the H3 version of their list. )

At most, 8 playlists are up during the weekend, and only 7 during normal weekdays. Versus 14 pre-consolidation.

FyreWulff said:
I think it was a mistake to ever rank SWAT, but to be honest if I could, SWAT would just outright become a Social DEXP with only Snipes remaining a normal ranked playlist because it has no objectives (and therefore more potential population).

I know people who take Swat pretty seriously to the extent thats its literally theyre home in Halo. I dont think Swat should have ever got objective but in its core it was a good playlist choice as an alternative way to play Halo.

By the way, Team Mythic is the only way to get 4v4 BR starts, so its far from redundant. The problem with this playlist management stuff is that cutting something like that out would be denying people who only want to play social 4v4 stuff. :p

Letters said:
Welcome to gaf. I'm definitely not a fan of your work in the Reach playlists.

Hmm I think he has done a pretty decent job of it on the whole, I prefer the general Reach playlists to the Halo 3 playlists. Although I do have my own personal little issues with some things. I think the main problem is that for me (and I guess you), is that Reach as a game isnt as enjoyable, so all the work in the world in playlist management isnt going to get me excited about it.

I must say, I still think there are a few missed opportunities, but on the whole ive been pretty impressed with the Reach playlist management, and ive loved that they have added new gametypes to the mix post ship... for free! There are companies out there who would try and call it dlc lol.

PNut

Banned
FyreWulff said:
However, Rocket Race DOES exist in Multi Team already. Which is why I left it out of the other ones.

True, but you have like a 3% chance of getting it. Which I understand why. The majority of MT players don't want to play racing gametypes in a Slayer playlist. Something Bungie never learned.

Essentially my goal would be: eliminate redundant playlists, eliminate playlists that the creators no longer maintain or care for (MLG), emphasize unique experiences between the ones that are left and rotate the popular DEXPs and fringe playlists that already exist.

At the bare minimum, Team Mythic is redundant and Rumble Pit makes 7 on the 7th redundant.

Agreed. H3 will be around for the life of the 360 and I'd hate to see it thrown out back and forgot about completely.

Hey You

xxjuicesxx said:
No I saw his profile. Just meant someone could have Eazily just wrote that in. Thought maybe he mentioned it somewhere.

You have an alt Jeremiah right? You couldn't possibly have only played 200 games of Reach.
Someone who was trying to impersonate him would probably uA) use Either Jeremiah (probably taken) or Ninja on Fire as their username and B) Use the avatar he uses on Bungie.net.

@Fyrewulf Wouldn't someone have to manually put up the double exp's each month? I couldn't see why anyone would want to do that, not to mention familiar with it.

FyreWulff

bobs99 ... said:
I know people who take Swat pretty seriously to the extent thats its literally theyre home in Halo. I dont think Swat should have ever got objective but in its core it was a good playlist choice as an alternative way to play Halo.

By the way, Team Mythic is the only way to get 4v4 BR starts, so its far from redundant. The problem with this playlist management stuff is that cutting something like that out would be denying people who only want to play social 4v4 stuff. :p

The addition of Team Flag and Team Control would make Social Skirmish DEXP heavily BR-start 4v4. You can already get a lot of BR starts in Social Skirmish as it is.

But in any consolidation, there's going to be blood.

FyreWulff

Hey You said:
Someone who was trying to impersonate him would probably uA) use Either Jeremiah (probably taken) or Ninja on Fire as their username and B) Use the avatar he uses on Bungie.net.

@Fyrewulf Wouldn't someone have to manually put up the double exp's each month? I couldn't see why anyone would want to do that, not to mention familiar with it.

From what I remember, TU2 added some backend stuff where they can add DEXPs in advance to the playlist download data (all playlists in Halo 2 and 3 actually exist on your hard drive locally). They would simply add the DEXPs in the final playlist sync for the next 1-2 years, which wouldn't require someone to manually push data once a month.

I also remember that NoF and other Bungie employees have said at one point or another that Halo 2's playlist setup was a nightmare. I don't think any of them honestly miss setting that thing up for playlist updates, heh

Tawpgun

xxjuicesxx said:

Wow. Jeremiah, you made some good decisions, some bad, and some that took faaaaaaaaaar too long. But it worries me if you've only played 200 games of Reach and were controlling the playlists.

However I do have one question for you, I'm not sure if you ever answered it. Why did it take so long to fix obvious things? Was it testing? Are changes really that hard to implement? I'm asking because I'm curious what the process is for all the things you guys do to Reach inside the studio.

Hitmonchan107 said:
Angel and I are having a 1v1 Headhunter match at PAX. :lol

....You know I kind of want to try that. Might be fun.

Dani said:
As awesome as BS Angel is (and she's very, very awesome), I wouldn't let her near the playlist master control suite.

Besides, her role is similar to Urk's role at Bungie. Urk doesn't touch the playlists so there's no reason to assume BS angel will be so in future.

And yeah, she needs an account here for sure.

A bit late but I just got back.

I know BS Angel isn't playlist manager (AR starts on Highlands? :p) I was saying that since she's the community person (like Urk) she should try and get a GAF account.

-Joke apparently too offensive...-

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
A27 Tawpgun said:
I know BS Angel isn't playlist manager (thank god...) I was saying that since she's the community person (like Urk) she should try and get a GAF account.

Who knows, maybe since she's a girl, and this is a gaming forum, they'll pull some affirmative action shit and she'll get approved within the hour.

With posts like this why wouldn't she want to post here?

If you really want to talk with Jessica in a forum environment I know for a fact she'd love to have you on the HaloWaypoint.com forums.

Homeboyd

lybertyboy said:

If you really want to talk with Jessica in a forum environment I know for a fact she'd love to have you on the HaloWaypoint.com forums.
I must say, one refreshing thing about Waypoint is the interaction you guys have with the community. I don't think I've had one unanswered PM. I know it's still new but I have to imagine you guys still get pounded pretty regularly.

Still <3 Angel for the defiant code in that crazy DLC code thread back in March. I never got one from the random giveaways throughout the thread (wasn't quick enough), but she eventually felt bad enough for me for starting the thread and never snagging one. Will never forget it.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Homeboyd said:
I must say, one refreshing thing about Waypoint is the interaction you guys have with the community. I don't think I've had one unanswered PM. I know it's still new but I have to imagine you guys still get pounded pretty regularly.

Still <3 Angel for the defiant code in that crazy DLC code thread back in March. I never got one from the random giveaways throughout the thread (wasn't quick enough), but she eventually felt bad enough for me for starting the thread and never snagging one. Will never forget it.

We're lucky to have someone like Jessica on the team. For myself, I try and reply to every single DM I get here, on twitter or on the Waypoint forums.

GhaleonEB

A27 Tawpgun said:
Wow. Jeremiah, you made some good decisions, some bad, and some that took faaaaaaaaaar too long. But it worries me if you've only played 200 games of Reach and were controlling the playlists.

However I do have one question for you, I'm not sure if you ever answered it. Why did it take so long to fix obvious things? Was it testing? Are changes really that hard to implement?

....You know I kind of want to try that. Might be fun.

A bit late but I just got back.

I know BS Angel isn't playlist manager (thank god...) I was saying that since she's the community person (like Urk) she should try and get a GAF account.

Who knows, maybe since she's a girl, and this is a gaming forum, they'll pull some affirmative action shit and she'll get approved within the hour.
Posts like this really don't help things. One of the great things about NeoGAF is the way we're connected to folks in the industry; a lot of Bungie and 343 folks post here, and even more lurk. It brings the two sides of the industry, content creators and players together and is one of the main reasons it's been why I've been on GAF for over a decade.

It's also why I do a massive face-palm every time I read a post like this. The playlist manager for Bungie posts here and you ask, "why did it take so long to fix obvious things," and you invite the 343 community manager on board with, "I know BS Angel isn't playlist manager (thank god...)" and, "maybe since she's a girl, and this is a gaming forum, they'll pull some affirmative action shit". Gee, I can't imagine why she might not want to join up.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I think if anything is preventing Jessica from signing up it would be that she doesn't have time.

Girl has thick skin. We asked her
truly
unspeakable things on the podcast yet we still remain friends. :_S

FyreWulff

I can't speak for Jeremiah, but this is how supporting a game post launch typically works. I'll modify some of my knowledge to the Reach / 3 situation.

At the start of each release cycle, you have to determine what your priorities are. New gametype? New map? Update to existing map? Update to existing gametype? An entire playlist?

Now add in all the known exploits sitting out there that you need to fix. Boneyard exploit, broken weapon on Hemorrhage, etc.

Now, you've got to sort the priority of the updates you want, because you have to maximize your sustain dollar. You have to maximize TIME x MONEY x AMOUNT OF PLAYERS BENEFITTING or AFFECTED

So you sort all of these outstanding needs and fixes for your update priorities.

Now, let's take Sword Base as an example. If you remember, the map had a changed weapon layout and other gametype support added to it. While this update was pending to be released, pushing out an update that blocks the ledge - which mostly affects Infection and wasn't a CRITICAL bug - would have taken time away from more critical things. You have a limited amount of time to build, test, and cert the map updates.

So they obviously made the decision to include the softkilled Ledge as part of the Sword Base Update. That way the soft kill being added gets included with the testing for that variant, instead of a bunch of testing for the previous (and now defunct) Sword Base just for a kill zone.

Then you package up all the high priority updates you could get to, and push them out in the next monthly update. You save mid-month updates for actual emergency problems, since each time you update the lists, you're pushing out a new playlist data file to millions and millions of players. If you did microupdates every 2 days, your bandwidth bill gets huge.

It was honestly kind of painful to watch some people here while I was stuck in registration limbo mock Shishka for "taking a month to delete a fusion coil" from Valhalla. Besides the fact that the map had other updates made to it along the way, and that it had to wait for the next update cycle to be pushed up anyway, since it wasn't an emergency-level fix. I hope a few specific people are never allowed near a code repo nor a test department, because some people's idea of how game support actually works is a galaxy away from reality.

It's easy to say "just go delete ___ in Forge and upload it!" when you don't have to consider cert time or budget implications of that action. Especially when the way they have to rig up maps and gametypes is not the way we build maps and gametypes.

Tawpgun

lybertyboy said:

GhaleonEB said:
Posts like this really don't help things. One of the great things about NeoGAF is the way we're connected to folks in the industry; a lot of Bungie and 343 folks post here, and even more lurk. It brings the two sides of the industry, content creators and players together and is one of the main reasons it's been why I've been on GAF for over a decade.

It's also why I do a massive face-palm every time I read a post like this. The playlist manager for Bungie posts here and you ask, "why did it take so long to fix obvious things," and you invite the 343 community manager on board with, "I know BS Angel isn't playlist manager (thank god...)" and, "maybe since she's a girl, and this is a gaming forum, they'll pull some affirmative action shit". Gee, I can't imagine why she might not want to join up.

Well,

1. I honestly want to know the reasoning behind the time span. That's all. I vaguely remember reading something that said its more than just a simple code or a button press, and that it takes time. If that's the case just say that. I don't see why that's such a bad question to ask?

2. Maybe the thank god was a LITTLE harsh? I still hardly think so. She's not playlist manager and I know that, and I was just saying that as a joke, referencing her choices like AR Starts Big Team on highlands or BTB AR starts Headhunter on Condemned. I found those gametypes to be silly but it doesn't mean I didn't have fun on those playdates.

3. See above. That one I thought for SURE would be caught as a joke... I don't see how that's offensive at ALL.

I respect everyone at 343 and Bungie. We may not agree on some decisions but it doesn't mean I hate the people there or something. They have a harder and more complicated job then most people here, waypoint, and Bungie.net give them credit for. They have huge, but most of all diverse fanbases they need to appeal to and they can't possibly appeal to all of them all the time.

I just don't like people mistaking my intentions, since I meant no negativity in my posts. I'd love for Jeremiah to keep talking with us here and it would be amazing if bs angel got an account and started interacting with us as well.

Tawpgun

Trasher said:
I didn't figure you for the joker type haha. I read it the way Ghaleon did too.

.... Well damnit. I'm usually really good at showing emotions/intent over the internet. I suppose I'll add a " :p " to let people know I'm joking.

EDIT: Cleaned up my post... is everyone happy now?

I like Halo.

Also, I would love to see 343 modify the playlists on Halo 3. Team Mythic needs more people. I would love to play BTB again, but it's difficult with the current population number.

Tashi0106 said:
Yo Portal 2 Co-op is awesome. Loading times are pretty ridiculous though.
Portal 2 is completely awesome. Played the SP four times back to back when it came out. So good.

FyreWulff

I imagine any Halo 3 update would have wide implications of Mythic requirements being added.

They could probably get away with doing it to every playlist but Rumble Pit (disc achieves), Team Slayer (disc achieves), and Social Slayer (the biggest list).

However, it's hard to make DLC requirement calls unless I could see the DLC userbase that exists already in each one. But I know for a fact that those 3 will never require DLC.

Yeah, I know technically Bungie made it impossible during Halo 3's run to get disc achievements without buying DLC and broke MS's guidelines

FyreWulff

Dani said:
why we still got Halo 3

That ship has sailed.

Classic++ and Halo 4 kthxbai

Can you believe that at this time next year, Reach will be entering autopilot mode as 343 gets ready to launch Halo 4 and leave Reach updates behind?

It's why I don't have much hope that we're getting any DLC between now and Anniversary, or any after Anniversary.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
FyreWulff said:
Can you believe that at this time next year, Reach will be entering autopilot mode as 343 gets ready to launch Halo 4 and leave Reach updates behind?

So good. =)

Can't wait. Imagine we'd be playing a Halo 4 beta this time next year too!

Tawpgun

Dani said:
why we still got Halo 3

That ship has sailed.

Classic++ and Halo 4 kthxbai

I really hope for more info on Classic ++ in the July podcast
Tell me I won't be disappointed....
I can't wait for PAX... I MUST KNOW NOW.

Speaking of PAX, is anyone going to Halofest capable of streaming while there? Even if 343 picked this up and did a stream it would be amazing for all of us who couldn't attend.

FyreWulff said:
I'm looking forward to continuing to play Reach for the next 3 years or until my 360 dies.

The only way I'd still be playing Reach for the next 3 years is if Halo 4 turns out to be the worst game evar.

But it won't. Because Frankie will save us. Right?

feel

Dax01 said:
Portal 2 is completely awesome. Played the SP four times back to back when it came out. So good.
Finally started my first Chell playthrough yesterday (ps3 version),
it's just such a superior experience to anything else that passes for a good single-player campaign these days... Valve <3

Lazslo

Shit homes, B.Net for me is just unreadable now. I use Chrome on OSX- Does anyone else have this problem and has Bungie acknowledged there's a problem for some users. I haven't been paying attention so any and all information would be helpful- Thanks.

Havok

Lazslo said:
Shit homes, B.Net for me is just unreadable now. I use Chrome on OSX- Does anyone else have this problem and has Bungie acknowledged there's a problem for some users. I haven't been paying attention so any and all information would be helpful- Thanks.
Try a force refresh (ctrl+F5 on Windows, dunno about OSX). That should clear it up. Also, Force Refresh would be the worst Jedi power ever.

J-Roderton

Lazslo said:

Mine is working fine. I have the same set up as you.

FyreWulff

Damnit, Halocharts doesn't have leaderboards for Weeklies earned. They don't have a graphic for anything past 20 weeklies either.

Unless that's a Supporter feature?...

Lazslo

Jroderton said:
Mine is working fine. I have the same set up as you.
hmm I wonder wtf is wrong with it- It's gotta be an issue on my end then-It worked fine until they had the recent redesign.
Havok said:
Try a force refresh (ctrl+F5 on Windows, dunno about OSX). That should clear it up. Also, Force Refresh would be the worst Jedi power ever.
I tried and it just shows up the same. This is what it looks like on my screen (This is another)- I'll try and figure out a fix. Thanks for the help though guys.

Anyone want to play some ODST firefight? I need 3 achievements for 200k on 3 maps. I can do it alone...but it takes forever!
Maps are Windward, Last Exit, and Security Zone.

GT: Game2Death

You know you want to;)

GAF - got my first perfection last night. Very pleased. I don't think anyone I was with/against were particularly good, though it was the same teams for a few matches and both teams won/lost and the matches were relatively close.

I think all but 2 kills were DMR, on Cliffhanger. I had no idea I hadn't died, I had plenty of close calls and figured I had died at least a few times. It wasn't until the end when the announcer said 'perfection' that I realized. A friend that was playing congratulated me and I'm sure one of the enemy team called me a fag before leaving the lobby.

I've had matches with zero deaths before but always with 10-12 kills or so, I ended up 16-0 with 4 assists in this one.

I can feel myself getting hooked on this game again.

FyreWulff

Dax01 said:
Best Bungie Twitter exchange ever?

@bungietweets: "It's big, it's long, and it needs caressing."
@MartyTheElder: "Urk is dead to me."

lawl

fyrewut.png

Top Bottom