• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

A27 Tawpgun said:
Speaking of PAX, is anyone going to Halofest capable of streaming while there? Even if 343 picked this up and did a stream it would be amazing for all of us who couldn't attend.
I'm going to try my hardest to stream at PAX, but at the very least I'm going to live blog any panels I go to.

And I'll try to grab plenty of off-screen stuff on "CEA," too.

Of course, no promises. :^)

J-Roderton

Stripper13 said:
GAF - got my first perfection last night. Very pleased. I don't think anyone I was with/against were particularly good, though it was the same teams for a few matches and both teams won/lost and the matches were relatively close.

I think all but 2 kills were DMR, on Cliffhanger. I had no idea I hadn't died, I had plenty of close calls and figured I had died at least a few times. It wasn't until the end when the announcer said 'perfection' that I realized. A friend that was playing congratulated me and I'm sure one of the enemy team called me a fag before leaving the lobby.

I've had matches with zero deaths before but always with 10-12 kills or so, I ended up 16-0 with 4 assists in this one.

I can feel myself getting hooked on this game again.

Just came one kill shy of my first Reach perfection. Just one more stinking kill.

Hitmonchan107 said:
I'm going to try my hardest to stream at PAX, but at the very least I'm going to live blog any panels I go to.

And I'll try to grab plenty of off-screen stuff on "CEA," too.

Of course, no promises. :^)

Make lofty promises to the interwebz. It's always a good decision!

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
A27 Tawpgun said:
.... Well damnit. I'm usually really good at showing emotions/intent over the internet. I suppose I'll add a " :p " to let people know I'm joking.

EDIT: Cleaned up my post... is everyone happy now?

You are already dead.

Tawpgun

Domino Theory said:
You are already dead.
It doesn't count if you don't post the picture.

FyreWulff said:
fyrewut.png

Wow. Besides the hunch, H3 elites look SO much better. Take that armor/graphics, remove the hunch, and you have perfect elites.

Booshka

man the MLG forums are in an upheaval over the V5 gametypes. Jeremiah and Killa KC could probably relay war stories about gametype testing and community feedback.

FyreWulff

Booshka said:
man the MLG forums are in an upheaval over the V5 gametypes. Jeremiah and Killa KC could probably relay war stories about gametype testing and community feedback.

I remember when I was helping ATLAS authors with their spawns back in the Halo 3 days.

This one guy wants to submit a map both to ATLAS and to MLG at the same time. So I'm testing out his map and we're going over the map's spawn points in Forge, I'm telling him where to put them, etc.

He relates to me that he wants to submit the map to the MLG Forge process.. his problem?

Every person he knows of that plays MLG (Friends list and mlgpro.com) refuses to help him test his map. Why?

Because it wasn't in the official rotation.

He said these same people bitched that new maps hardly ever showed up in MLG's rotation.

tl;dr People that bitched about a lack of new community maps refused to playtest new community maps because they were not in the official rotation. For some reason they did not recognize their Catch 22 logic.

Booshka

FyreWulff said:
I remember when I was helping ATLAS authors with their spawns back in the Halo 3 days.

This one guy wants to submit a map both to ATLAS and to MLG at the same time. So I'm testing out his map and we're going over the map's spawn points in Forge, I'm telling him where to put them, etc.

He relates to me that he wants to submit the map to the MLG Forge process.. his problem?

Every person he knows of that plays MLG (Friends list and mlgpro.com) refuses to help him test his map. Why?

He said these same people bitched that new maps hardly ever showed up in MLG's rotation.

tl;dr People that bitched about a lack of new community maps refused to playtest new community maps because they were not in the official rotation. For some reason they did not recognize their Catch 22 logic.
This time Sundance comes out with a Press Release essentially saying that people arent posting enough feedback, but users feedback posts are being deleted because they dont follow some stringent guidelines. The whole process sounds like a clusterfuck.

It's ridiculous how much effort has to go into making Halo games fun and competitive. Only CE had great settings out of the box, all you had to do was switch weapons to 'Generic' and you were good to go.

FyreWulff

On the other hand, I liked the Halo 1 and 2 MLG settings better because I was still playing Halo ___, just with a more "hardcore" ruleset. Halo 3 and Reach's settings are trying to turn that game into the previous game, which I don't like, and felt like changing settings (movement speed and damage) for the sake of changing settings. You're playing MLG's metagame of their "ideal game", not Halo. I used to play Halo 1 MLG quite a bit when not playing with my friends/brothers.

Halo 3's settings were especially annoying since it felt like you are skating around on ice while moving around. Add onto that the vast reduction of the weapon sandbox and it became more of a chore to play it than hardcore.

I wish they'd honestly just fund their own shooter being made if they want it so badly, but you can't do that when you've lost money for the last two years in a row.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I disagree so much.

I'm also not pleased with v5. Looks like LA Noire, Portal 2 and other games getting more play time.

GhaleonEB

FyreWulff said:

I always wanted to see some of the maps from the Forgetacular contest that Bungie dismissed out of hand from the screenshots alone. From the BWU discussing them, there was a big folder of 'do not want' type of abominations. It wouldn't be very classy to out those to make fun of, but part of me is morbidly curious. Even maps with the best of intentions can turn out very poor, and I suspect that doesn't describe many of the maps they got...

Booshka

FyreWulff said:
On the other hand, I liked the Halo 1 and 2 MLG settings better because I was still playing Halo ___, just with a more "hardcore" ruleset. Halo 3 and Reach's settings are trying to turn that game into the previous game, which I don't like, and felt like changing settings (movement speed and damage) for the sake of changing settings. You're playing MLG's metagame of their "ideal game", not Halo. I used to play Halo 1 MLG quite a bit when not playing with my friends/brothers.

Halo 3's settings were especially annoying since it felt like you are skating around on ice while moving around. Add onto that the vast reduction of the weapon sandbox and it became more of a chore to play it than hardcore.

I wish they'd honestly just fund their own shooter being made if they want it so badly, but you can't do that when you've lost money for the last two years in a row.
Halo 3 felt like Ice skating regardless, but 110% made it worse.

MLG should just let SC2 fund their development of a shooter tailored for their league, with John Howard at the helm as Game Design Lead.

Booshka

A27 Tawpgun said:
Anyone mind elaborating the problems with v5 for us non-MLG folk?
Removed maps people liked, added ones people didn't like. Removed Bomb gametypes, now it is only Flag and Slayer. Explanation was "Lol Bomb is boring and takes forever." Few tweaks to powerups that dont seem to be upsetting people too much. But mostly it is just the map selection and the lack of variety with only two gametypes.

Butane123

FyreWulff said:
To be honest, I've always been surprised they never were into PC shooters more. Especially something like Quake Live or another game that could be modded to the exact specifications that they would want.

Edit: wait, I don't play the MLG list very often, but MLG bomb was fun to play.

Booshka

Bomb did take forever, but it was still exciting and varied. They just thought it would make their tournament run faster if they only had one obj. Also no attempts to include King or Oddball is strange. I'm speaking mostly as a spectator, dont play MLG
or Reach
that much. Looks like it may be boring to watch with these settings, and they are all but confirmed for Anaheim.

Thank god for SC2, cuz MLG would be tanking right now without it.

Ramirez

Thermite said:
35m4jgz.gif

I was a 44 at that time, IIRC. I couldn't make the jump from 44 to 45 playing with randoms. Shit was way too streaky. :p

U jelly 'cause I improved, nub?

That was just my stealth troll worked into the post.

GhaleonEB

Booshka said:
Bomb did take forever, but it was still exciting and varied. They just thought it would make their tournament run faster if they only had one obj. Also no attempts to include King or Oddball is strange. I'm speaking mostly as a spectator, dont play MLG
or Reach
that much. Looks like it may be boring to watch with these settings, and they are all but confirmed for Anaheim.
I'm in the same boat. I used to stream MLG games a lot back in the Halo 3 days, and Oddball and KotH games were amazing to watch. The way teams would set up to control areas of the map and defend the objectives were fascinating. It's too bad they pared it all down.

Yeah MLG v5 is pretty bad. They keep making what I think to be bad decisions with Reach, and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. People are asking for more gametypes, not less. People have been clamoring that they use a good Sanctuary, and they created one, then decided not to use it, and have basically ignored the problem ever since.

The reasons they have listed for not including King and Ball (which I want in the settings, along with Bomb, which is now gone) is that timed objective games are not good for the spectator experience. Personally, I couldn't dissagree more. King is by far the most fun gametype to watch.

FyreWulff

GhaleonEB said:
I'm in the same boat. I used to stream MLG games a lot back in the Halo 3 days, and Oddball and KotH games were amazing to watch. The way teams would set up to control areas of the map and defend the objectives were fascinating. It's too bad they pared it all down.

If I could have MLG King The Pit only as a playlist, I'd just play that.

I don't know why KotH gets so hard to play anymore :(

Homeboyd said:
1. Warlock TS Removed
2. Warlock CTF Removed
3. Zealot Bomb Removed
4. Sanctuary Bomb Removed
5. Android TS Added
6. Android CTF Added
7. Element CTF Added
8. Redemption CTF Added
9. Camo on Countdown TS replaced with Custom Powerup
10. Updated CTF Game Variant is now used for all CTF Game Types. This increases the flag return radius.

Custom Powerup Settings
1. Duration – 30 Seconds
2. Damage Resistance – 200%
3. Shield Recharge Rate – 50%
4. Forced Color – White

Plus the bolded.

FyreWulff

wwm0nkey said:
Again like I have said

Bloom worked perfectly in shadowrun but not in Halo

But bloom has been in since at least Halo 2:

halo2pistol_steady.jpg

halo2pistol_fast.jpg

Reach was just the first one to communicate it in the HUD.

Like I've said before, if bloom were removed, the weapon firing rate would just be locked at the 'steady' pace that you can already do in Reach.

You're not going to get the weapons current firing speed minus bloom. The DMR would essentially make everything but Rockets and Shotgun worthless.

While the Halo 2 pistol was about as effective as attacking someone with a foam hand, it was at least fun to fire. Halo 3's pistol was made more effective but fired shit slow, and was unfun to use. Reach's Pistol is fun to fire but is not OP like the ODST Magnum would be in multiplayer and not boringly slow like Halo 3's pistol because Bungie allows you to exceed the correct firing pace by trading off accuracy.

I have no problem with bloom because I don't mash the DMR and Magnum triggers like a crack addict when I run into an encounter. I concentrate and pulse the trigger properly and all my shots are dead on. I regularly beat out other people with my DMR when they're just spamming the trigger as fast as possible and beat DMRers with a magnum at close range.

Protip: 4 shots to the body, only go for the head on the fifth. Also with the magnum, you can start off with 2 quick shots before bloom really kicks in and then pace the next 3 for the kill. It's silly to go just for the head in the initial shots as it's a smaller target and there's no damage bonus for headshots until shields go down anyway.

tl;dr Let's play some Instagib sometime

Nutter

FyreWulff said:
But bloom has been in since at least Halo 2:

Reach was just the first one to communicate it in the HUD. [LOL]

Like I've said before, if bloom were removed, the weapon firing rate would just be locked at the 'steady' pace that you can already do in Reach.

You're not going to get the weapons current firing speed minus bloom. The DMR would essentially make everything but Rockets and Shotgun worthless.

While the Halo 2 pistol was about as effective as attacking someone with a foam hand, it was at least fun to fire. Halo 3's pistol was made more effective but fired shit slow, and was unfun to use. Reach's Pistol is fun to fire but is not OP like the ODST Magnum would be in multiplayer and not boringly slow like Halo 3's pistol because Bungie allows you to exceed the correct firing pace by trading off accuracy.

I have no problem with bloom because I don't mash the DMR and Magnum triggers like a crack addict when I run into an encounter. I concentrate and pulse the trigger properly and all my shots are dead on. I regularly beat out other people with my DMR when they're just spamming the trigger as fast as possible and beat DMRers with a magnum at close range.

Protip: 4 shots to the body, only go for the head on the fifth. Also with the magnum, you can start off with 2 quick shots before bloom really kicks in and then pace the next 3 for the kill. It's silly to go just for the head in the initial shots as it's a smaller target and there's no damage bonus for headshots until shields go down anyway.

tl;dr Let's play some Instagib sometime

OMG PRO TIPS, *takes out notepad*.

feel

Having the bullets hit a random spot inside the reticule is not what a bunch of us hate (and neither what the halo community refers to as "bloom"). After we have the enemy's head filling the reticule, we don't care if the bullets hit his chin, his eye or his forehead. If we are too far away and the desired target where we want the bullets is not filling the reticule, we see that as our fault for using the weapon out of its range and randomness is accepted. What we don't like is having the reticule change size after pulling the trigger.

wwm0nkey

Letters said:
Having the bullets hit a random spot inside the reticule is not what a bunch of us hate (and neither what the halo community refers to as "bloom"). After we have the enemy's head filling the reticule, we don't care if the bullets hit his chin, his eye or his forehead. If we are too far away and the desired target where we want the bullets is not filling the reticule, we see that as our fault for using the weapon out of its range and randomness is accepted. What we don't like is having the reticule change size after pulling the trigger.
This too.

Top Bottom