• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Ramirez

Some people really will defend anything...

I guess a better question would be, who picked up one magnum in Halo 2 and then fired it at a slow pace? Before they nerfed them, those things destroyed when you pulled the triggers as fast as possible.

You could shoot the Carbine in 3 insanely fast, the shots always landed where your reticule was, to say that the past Halo's had the same type of bloom that's in Reach is phony bologna.

Striker

Booshka said:
Removed maps people liked, added ones people didn't like. Removed Bomb gametypes, now it is only Flag and Slayer. Explanation was "Lol Bomb is boring and takes forever." Few tweaks to powerups that dont seem to be upsetting people too much. But mostly it is just the map selection and the lack of variety with only two gametypes.
MLG should have made Bomb instant arm. More scoring!

FyreWulff said:
But bloom has been in since at least Halo 2:
What a load of shit this post is.

BR did not have bloom. Nor did Sniper Rifle or any of the other accuracy weapons.

So quit pulling out this post and claiming "omg bloom has been here 4eever". Because it hasn't.

Woorloog

Banned
Devin Olsen said:

BR did not have bloom. Nor did Sniper Rifle or any of the other accuracy weapons.

So quit pulling out this post and claiming "omg bloom has been here 4eever". Because it hasn't.
No, not the precision weapons. But arguably some others have it. Assault Rifle (CE and 3), SMG (2 and 3), Halo 2 magnum, Spiker in Halo 3(possibly, hard to say). Not a long list, but it's there. Of course, precision weapons should not have it.
I do wonder how DMR would've worked without bloom... keep the other statistics same, just remove bloom/spread. Semi-auto sniper essentially. Might have been a tad overpowered due it's range.
How does DMR that works like Halo 3 Carbine sound by the way?

Devin Olsen said:

Well, the only effect of bloom on the sniper is that the reticule becomes a little less visable untill it can shoot again. The delay between shots has always been in Halo games, only the time between shots were different.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Woorloog said:
No, not the precision weapons. But arguably some others have it. Assault Rifle (CE and 3), SMG (2 and 3), Halo 2 magnum, Spiker in Halo 3(possibly, hard to say). Not a long list, but it's there. Of course, precision weapons should not have it.
I do wonder how DMR would've worked without bloom... keep the other statistics same, just remove bloom/spread. Semi-auto sniper essentially. Might have been a tad overpowered due it's range.
How does DMR that works like Halo 3 Carbine sound by the way?
Tad overpowered? It would break the game. You would have to lock the firing rate.

FyreWulff said:
But bloom has been in since at least Halo 2

jay-landsman-o.gif

No offence to you personally but will people stop peddling this horseshit? I'm convinced it's an elaborate troll at this point it's been expounded for so long; it's a flat out lie.

kylej

Banned
Booshka said:
This time Sundance comes out with a Press Release essentially saying that people arent posting enough feedback, but users feedback posts are being deleted because they dont follow some stringent guidelines.

hrm stringent guidelines... maps..... gametypes.... deleted... hrmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

You're no longer welcome here. You're no longer welcome to submit map variants, and in the future I'll be very careful to make sure any ForgeHub submissions are closely looked at to make sure we don't accidentally give someone as full of themselves as you are vindication for their ego.

FORGEHUB MEMBERS, LISTEN UP:

Atlas was born specifically because groups like yours cannot be trusted to provide Matchmaking-worthy maps. This group is clique-agnostic to avoid scenarios where one group and its personal expectations of its members does not poison the possibilities.

It is great to have your own standard. Acting like your standard is more important than other people's, however, will cause drama, and I will not put up with drama. If you cannot be constructive to anyone that doesn't follow your clique's ideals, you don't belong here. If you're more invested in making sure boxes are lined up than you are in making sure your spawns are placed correctly, you don't belong here. If you're going to cry like a child if/when your map isn't accepted, you don't belong here. If you think you or your group is more deserving than other people because of how "hardcore" you imagine yourselves to be, you definitely don't belong here.

whoa whao sorry just had a Post Traumatic Shishka Disorder flashback. phew. Staring at a picture of Frankie helps calm me down whenever I hit a relapse.

kylej said:
hrm stringent guidelines... maps..... gametypes.... deleted... hrmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

You're no longer welcome here. You're no longer welcome to submit map variants, and in the future I'll be very careful to make sure any ForgeHub submissions are closely looked at to make sure we don't accidentally give someone as full of themselves as you are vindication for their ego.

FORGEHUB MEMBERS, LISTEN UP:

Atlas was born specifically because groups like yours cannot be trusted to provide Matchmaking-worthy maps. This group is clique-agnostic to avoid scenarios where one group and its personal expectations of its members does not poison the possibilities.

It is great to have your own standard. Acting like your standard is more important than other people's, however, will cause drama, and I will not put up with drama. If you cannot be constructive to anyone that doesn't follow your clique's ideals, you don't belong here. If you're more invested in making sure boxes are lined up than you are in making sure your spawns are placed correctly, you don't belong here. If you're going to cry like a child if/when your map isn't accepted, you don't belong here. If you think you or your group is more deserving than other people because of how "hardcore" you imagine yourselves to be, you definitely don't belong here.

whoa whao sorry just had a Post Traumatic Shishka Disorder flashback. phew. Staring at a picture of Frankie helps calm me down whenever I hit a relapse.
Oh man, what an awesome trainwreck that was to watch unfold. Shishka's reaction to that ForgeHub "review" of Smashed got him so riled up I thought that his kid or wife made that map (it was a terrible map, to be sure). Add to that a (temporary) ban of another member that who was unfortunate enough to make a map with the reviewer, some random douchebag coming in and flooding the forum with pages of spam; good times.

GhaleonEB

Devin Olsen said:
This is honestly a more valid argument then Fyrewulfs
Nah. Bloom has always been there to degrees. What Fyrewulf's post misses is how Reach's implementation of it is very different, and pushed it from a minor element of a subset of weapons to a starring role on the primary precision weapons. Which is a role it's not suited for. At all.

Nutter said:
OMG PRO TIPS, *takes out notepad*.
Do you have an extra pencil!!??
Ramirez said:
Some people really will defend anything...
Ocarina of Time was the best zelda game ever made!
Tashi0106 said:
Tad overpowered? It would break the game. You would have to lock the firing rate.
I don't know. It would probably be the closest thing we've had to the Halo:CE pistol since combat evolved. I'd be all over it. I suppose even the pistol had a slower rate of fire, but 5 shots instead of 3 for a kill might make up the difference.

MrBig

FyreWulff said:
But bloom has been in since at least Halo 2:
Spread has been in all Halos, yes. It's incarnation in Reach as "Bloom" though is additive, or linear, spread. Each shot increases the spread by some set degree. This has not been in Halo before Reach.

GhaleonEB

Firefight Doubles can be pretty great when you have a decent partner. Today has been weird since everyone is going for assists, holding back on kills. Makes for some hilarious moments when neither of us wants to finish off a guy chasing us around.

Had a pretty intense round of Sniper Heretics; the ending is rather explosive. Had a Matrix moment dodging FRG rounds at the end. :lol
Hypertrooper said:
I noticed that my hotel is 13miles away from the Convention center. Fortunately there is a good rail connection.
I can give you a lift, as well, since our hotels are near one another.

FyreWulff

Devin Olsen said:

Where did I say the Halo 2 BR had bloom? I said BLOOM has been in since at least Halo 2. I'm even the one that made the screencap of the Halo 2 BR having no bloom:

kMDkN.jpg

I know you love me, Devy old buddy, but don't put words in my mouth.

Trasher said:
I got to try one of these at PAX East back in March. It was... interesting.

Seems like it would be too easy to accidentally hit a button. A neat idea, but not very practical; maybe I'm just not hardcore enough. (Or maybe it was because the demo was in Call of Duty: Black Ops.)

FyreWulff

Homeboyd said:
From which we never recovered.

Unfortunately, the mod tools for Groups aren't really that useful to recover from attacks quite yet. I think someone at Bungie had to run a custom script to clean all of that up, and it still left half the stickies broken.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Sometimes I wonder if some Halo-GAF members can read an argument properly, or if they just skim over for something to attack. The hostile response to FyreWulff's demonstration of bullet spread timing is just embarrassing.

FyreWulff said:
I do love you, you're a good guy. But to respond to the complaining about bloom in Reach with your screenshot, that isn't really a fair comparison.

We are (mainly) all upset that guns like the DMR have bloom. I could care less about the AR or other non precision guns having bloom.

Also, you're coming to PAX - yeah?

Lyphen said:
Sometimes I wonder if some Halo-GAF members can read an argument properly, or if they just skim over for something to attack. The hostile response to FyreWulff's demonstration of bullet spread timing is just embarrassing.
*skims post*

You're right, bullet spread IS embarrasing. And of course FyreWulff doesn't know how to read.

GhaleonEB

FyreWulff said:
Where did I say the Halo 2 BR had bloom? I said BLOOM has been in since at least Halo 2. I'm even the one that made the screencap of the Halo 2 BR having no bloom:

kMDkN.jpg

Your post is correct on the merits, but used as a response to the problems with Reach's iteration of bloom is somewhat of a non sequitur. Reach is doing something very different from the rest of the series, and so to respond by noting what the rest of the series did misses the point. The problem is with what Reach does, not with how it worked in the past.

FyreWulff

Also, I wish we could search our posts in Bungie.net groups.

And/or not get stuck in an infinite login loop at Waypoint (I know it's a Passport issue that even Bungie.net runs into sometimes, but it seems to happen to me half the time at Waypoint)

Tawpgun

So basically...

Decreasing accuracy because of automatic fire or rapid firing rate has been in every Halo game.

Bloom in precision weapons is new in Reach.

Bloom (as in reach) is bad for precision weapons.

Everyone agrees. Please. Everyone agree.

ncsuDuncan said:
*skims post*

You're right, bullet spread IS embarrasing. And of course FyreWulff doesn't know how to read.
*golf clap*

Edit: Though, I think the post would've been better without the *skims post* part. Which is why you only get a golf clap and not a Citizen Kane clap.

MrBig

The Real Napsta said:
Bloom is not a problem until you put it on a precision weapon. It's completely acceptable on an automatic weapon.
It would have been fine if it was only used while scoped.

MrBig

Hitmonchan107 said:
Wouldn't it make more sense for bloom to be used while firing from the hip?
It would make physical sense to have that, but normal spread for DMR while unscoped would allow it to perform like the H2 BR did, while having bloom while scoped would allow the range of the DMR to.

thezerofire said:
bloom is not spread. Guns have spread. Bloom is that spread increasing when you shoot faster.
These sentences together don't make sense. Bloom is an added mechanic to spread. See my earlier post.

Detox

MrBig said:
It would make physical sense to have that, but normal spread for DMR while unscoped would allow it to perform like the H2 BR did, while having bloom while scoped would allow the range of the DMR to.
True, but I would prefer the if the default rifle didn't have the range of the DMR. In which case there will be no bloom just the bullet dropping or disappearing after a certain range.

MrBig

OuterWorldVoice said:
Bloom is a visualization of spread x time.
Yes. The designed intent would be you firing it at a constant speed to retain accuracy. But (thinking of it as a sine wave) if you fire another shot before the falloff has finished the crest rises and increases the spread.

Homeboyd

The only thing I dislike more than bloom is discussion of bloom. People either understand it and tolerate it or hate it with a fiery passion.

I don't understand or tolerate anything.

Where am I?

Tawpgun

Having a cap on a single shot weapon that's as slow as the DMR's optimal ROF is terrible.

I think the burst fire needs to return...

Deputy Moonman said:
I don't know. It would probably be the closest thing we've had to the Halo:CE pistol since combat evolved. I'd be all over it. I suppose even the pistol had a slower rate of fire, but 5 shots instead of 3 for a kill might make up the difference.

Really wouldn't be anything like the CE Pistol. The levels of auto-aim in Reach would make it stupid easy, along with not having anywhere close to the movement options that CE had. The rest of the weapon sandbox was wreck city as well to be balanced with the Pistol.

CE Pistol is balanced because its power and lack of ease of use was perfect in the CE sandbox/gameplay. You can't just throw a weapon with its power into Reach, it would be pretty broken.

Top Bottom