• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

MrBig

Homeboyd said:
The only thing I dislike more than bloom is discussion of bloom. People either understand it and tolerate it or hate it with a fiery passion.

I don't understand or tolerate anything.

Where am I?
I understand it perfectly and hate it.

Steelyuhas said:
Really wouldn't be anything like the CE Pistol. The levels of auto-aim in Reach would make it stupid easy, along with not having anywhere close to the movement options that CE had. The rest of the weapon sandbox was wreck city as well to be balanced with the Pistol.

CE Pistol is balanced because its power and lack of ease of use was perfect in the CE sandbox/gameplay. You can't just throw a weapon with its power into Reach, it would be pretty broken.
No, I totally agree. I wasn't really thinking about what it would do if it was thrown into Reach. I was just having wet dreams thinking about the Pistol. That's all 8)

Deputy Moonman said:
No, I totally agree. I wasn't really thinking about what it would do if it was thrown into Reach. I was just having wet dreams thinking about the Pistol. That's all 8)

Oh well yeah I have dreams of the CE Pistol everynight. We all do that right? Thats normal right?

GhaleonEB

A27 Tawpgun said:
Having a cap on a single shot weapon that's as slow as the DMR's optimal ROF is terrible.

I think the burst fire needs to return...
Yup. Imagine if the bloom were removed from the DMR straight up. Everyone would have a long range laser beam in their hands. The thought of Hemorrhage under those conditions....

Reach's implementation of bloom was an attempt to build out a system the series already featured, while replacing the spread fire from the BR. But I don't think the benefits the spread fire brought to the game were properly accounted for with the design of the rifles in Reach.

Weapons don't need to be perfectly accurate all the time, they need to be accurate within their intended role. Removing bloom from the rifles would expand their role even further into sniping territory. The problem lies with the design of the rifles themselves.
A27_StarWolf said:
so guys how about that time when you all played that game on that map and we had fun.
I do what I can!

GhaleonEB said:
Had a pretty intense round of Sniper Heretics; the ending is rather explosive. Had a Matrix moment dodging FRG rounds at the end. :lol

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Lol I'm fine with bloom. It's not perfect that's for sure but it's not the end of the world. Reach still feels like a Halo game to me

Edit:

AKA you guys suck at Halo? Hmmmm not sure if that's the reason.

Also, don't give me that host bullshit. I haven't pulled host in 2 weeks and my opinion hasn't changed. I have a bigger issue with grenades.

Tawpgun

Bloom is tolerable. It doesn't break the Halo formula as much as shit like Armor Lock does. I've gotten used to it but it still bullshits me from time to time.

But I could do without it.

heckfu

Banned
The Real Napsta said:
I've gotten used to it, but i prefer no bloom on precision weapons to bloom.
Yeah, I'm totally the same way. It just adds a level of difficulty for me because I'm not a patient player in many games (can't stand stealth games). But overall I've gotten more used to it.

Again, though, bloom sucks. That's all there is to it.

heckfu said:
Yeah, I'm totally the same way. It just adds a level of difficulty for me because I'm not a patient player in many games (can't stand stealth games). But overall I've gotten more used to it.

Again, though, bloom sucks. That's all there is to it.
Seriously, the radar jammer invis guys suck to play against.

Tawpgun

I never got the logic to that. Active Camo is a Radar Jammer and a Invisibility ability all in one. Fucking pick one.

I like the jammer on the guy who's invisible. That way he can't accuratley camp corners and whatnot.

But to put it on the enemy? I get that its to warn a camo guy is in the area but there should be better ways to do that. Not to mention it still glitches out time to time and friendly camo's will jam my radar.

Bread

Banned
I wouldn't mind the bloom if pacing your shots actually worked. When I take the time to pace my shots, I'm usually dead because the other guy just keeps spamming the trigger.
I wish there was an option to change the bloom for custom games, I would love to try the DMR with a slower firing rate and no bloom.

Bread said:
I wouldn't mind the bloom if pacing your shots actually worked. When I take the time to pace my shots, I'm usually dead because the other guy just keeps spamming the trigger.
I wish there was an option to change the bloom for custom games, I would love to try the DMR with a slower firing rate and no bloom.
OOOoooooOOOO. What a GREAT idea! Too bad it can't happen though...

OuterWorldVoice said:
Goddamn hipsters.
Obviously, you don't understand bloom like I do.

XMW3l.jpg

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
A27 Tawpgun said:
I never got the logic to that. Active Camo is a Radar Jammer and a Invisibility ability all in one. Fucking pick one.

I like the jammer on the guy who's invisible. That way he can't accuratley camp corners and whatnot.

But to put it on the enemy? I get that its to warn a camo guy is in the area but there should be better ways to do that. Not to mention it still glitches out time to time and friendly camo's will jam my radar.

Sorry, I didnt read all of ot.

I like the idea of pacing your shots. I just want two changes:

- Crouching shouldn't cause bloom to settle faster. Does running or jumping cause bloom to last longer? No. This is Halo.

- You can only land headshots if your reticule is at least 50% settled. If you're spamming the trigger at full bloom they all act as body shots, even if they hit an unshielded head.

Optional crazy idea:
- The very first bullet coming out of an AR at 100% settled bloom can get a headshot.

Unrelated:
I think the DMR, AR, and Pistol should all get bigger magazines. It's really frustrating to miss out on an overkill because you have to reload.

Active Camo :(
- I think the Radar Jammer effect should have a delayed cutoff for the Camo user. So when you deactivate your invis, the jamming effect still hinders your own motion tracker use for a few seconds; it immediately stops affecting your enemy's radar.

- I've said before that zooming in should have the same effect on your camo as walking around, to keep snipers from camping.

- What if activating camo basically turned on the Blind skull for you? Not only is your radar jammed, but your entire HUD goes blank. You can't see your shield/health strength or how much ammo you have...

feel

Tashi0106 said:
Lol I'm fine with bloom. It's not perfect that's for sure but it's not the end of the world. Reach still feels like a Halo game to me

Edit:

AKA you guys suck at Halo? Hmmmm not sure if that's the reason.
Typed a a bunch of replies to this

:(

^ was what I ended up going with (and not because I suck at Halo)

Bread said:

This. My main issue with bloom is that you are not rewarded nearly enough for pacing your shots. People can blow right through the bloom and hit all their shots. Bloom was implemented as a way to make guns very accurate and allow you to control ROF, but keep them in their role. If it doesn't punish players for completely ignoring the reticle however, than the creation of the role for the weapon doesn't work.

This doesn't just apply to the DMR either, there is little reason to not hold down the trigger on the AR. Bloom implementation needed to have a much larger advantage for pacing your shots.

Dani said:
why we still got Halo 3

That ship has sailed.

Classic++ and Halo 4 kthxbai

I hope you know something we dont but Im pretty skeptical of Classic++

FyreWulff said:
I'm looking forward to continuing to play Reach for the next 3 years or until my 360 dies.

Woah lol, discounting Halo 4 already?

It sounds sad, but my only draw to Reach at the moment is grinding up the ranks, I really dont know why because I have so much more fun just playing Halo 3. :(

As for bloom Ive already made my opinion on this matter clear but taking advantage of loopholes proves nothing. Fair enough, your point is true, the Halo 2 Pistol had bloom - but most people are talking about the BR and the general precision weapon play that occurs the vast majority of the time when they discuss bloom, so what if bloom exists if it didnt even really impact on the player?

Bread said:
Is that sarcasm or do you actually agree?
lol upon a second reading I could see that as sarcasm, but I honestly agree.

It's a shame we can't adjust cool settings like that.

Edit: How is the classic playlist? Anyone here like it?

GhaleonEB

Major Williams said:
lol upon a second reading I could see that as sarcasm, but I honestly agree.

It's a shame we can't adjust cool settings like that.

If you feel the grenades in Reach are under-powered, then it's the playlist for you. :p

ncsuDuncan said:
Unrelated:
I think the DMR, AR, and Pistol should all get bigger magazines. It's really frustrating to miss out on an overkill because you have to reload.
definitely this. You can barely get a kill in one mag with the pistol

Havok

Major Williams said:
Its all right if you go in as a team. In any case, prepare to be frustrated by ridiculously overpowered AR sprayers and nuke nades. Its a decent change of pace though.

Louis Wu

rofl - when I went looking for that testsubjectsneeded post, I found the bloom discussion in the Reach Beta thread (from May 2010), because of the search terms I used. How things don't change... :)

Linking to a page is no good, because posts/page differ between users. Here's a fine starting place:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21319134&postcount=21396

Just hit the 'Thread' link in the top right to jump back to the full page with your settings.

And laugh a bit at plus ca change...

Striker

thezerofire said:
it's definitely faster and I like the maps better, but it can get annoying
If the base movement speed was 115% it would probably be more acceptable to folks here, since some feel it's ice skating with 120% on the Forged maps. This is the type of base speed we need in Halo games. Not some muddy, clunky base. Halo 3 started this trend and it continued further into Reach that Bungie incorporated Sprint.

It's time to go back to the fast base speeds, 343.

Hitmonchan107 said:
Edit: Also, Wu, I just saw your post on the HBO forums about "Ringworld." I'm headed to my library to pick it up now. (It'll have to wait until I finish "The Dharma Bums," though.)
Insert "Louis Wu" age joke here.

Have you read Starship Troopers? That's a pretty great one for Halo fans as well.

It's funny how some people note how heavily Halo CE is influenced by the Aliens movie without noting the degree to which Aliens was influenced by the Starship Troopers book.

I wish they would make a proper movie for Starship Troopers, I guess the closest I'll get is the Forever War movie in development.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
ncsuDuncan said:

Have you read Starship Troopers? That's a pretty great one for Halo fans as well.

It's funny how some people note how heavily Halo CE is influenced by the Aliens movie without noting the degree to which Aliens was influenced by the Starship Troopers book.

I wish they would make a proper movie for Starship Troopers, I guess the closest I'll get is the Forever War movie in development.

How could you not mention Ender's Game? =)

Tawpgun

Dani said:

That's where I first heard of that training of children to become military assets. That book could really use a GOOD movie. An arcade game based on the simulation room would be awesome as well.

Homeboyd

I wonder if we will see the same challenges being rolled out from 343 that we've seen with Bungie... or if other plans are in place.

These dailies (and some of the weeklies) are just... not fun.

GhaleonEB

Homeboyd said:
I wonder if we will see the same challenges being rolled out from 343 that we've seen with Bungie... or if other plans are in place.

These dailies (and some of the weeklies) are just... not fun.
I strongly suspect that the Challenges are baked into the game and that we've seen the scope they have to offer. But I am anticipating some improvement in how they are deployed, as there is much room to address inconsistancies between Challenges. Also, Campaign Challenges really should be worth more, to make up for the lack of commendations and game complete bonuses. (C'mon 343, please step up and actively manage Challenges.)

ncsuDuncan said:

A friend of mine who really loved the movie read the book and hated it. So it's on my to-read list. :^)

Dani said:
I started to read this at my girlfriend's house. Also met a cute completely unattractive girl on the bus who was reading it, and she went on for 15 minutes about how great it was.

Mikasangelos said:
That was awesome. A tad bit sad that it might be for chewing gum, though.

Dani said:
I was too busy meeting Orson Scott Card and getting my books signed:
212uypf.jpg

Pic is about 4 years old and I have a really stupid grin on my face...

Love the Ender's Game/Shadow series. I just think it has a better connection to stuff like The Fall of Reach than to the actual games.
My recommended reading listfor Halo fans has Ringworld* and Starship Troopers at the top, Ender's Game is further down.

* Make sure you check out Ringworld and not Discworld. Both great literature, but you'll get confused if you start looking for Halo connections from Terry Pratchett. :p

Hitmonchan107 said:
A friend of mine who really loved the movie read the book and hated it. So it's on my to-read list. :^)
Bwah? I like the movie, it's good campy fun wth Amy Smart... mmm. But calling it Starship Troopers is an affront to the book.

Tawpgun

GhaleonEB said:
I strongly suspect that the Challenges are baked into the game and that we've seen the scope they have to offer. But I am anticipating some improvement in how they are deployed, as there is much room to address inconsistancies between Challenges. Also, Campaign Challenges really should be worth more, to make up for the lack of commendations and game complete bonuses. (C'mon 343, please step up and actively manage Challenges.)

God yes.

I never do a campaign challenge that takes me more than 5 minutes to do unless it's a weekly or I'm bored.

Bloom is designed to show spread. Spread is generally bad on automatic weapons not marksman weapons.

In the same way the AR is better up close the AR should be penalized and neeed a pacing of shots to beat the DMR, as the DMR has to pace its shots out far.

This isn't the case, the AR doesn't suffer the same from bloom as a one shot weapon does especially up close where you'd use it. I'm not saying you should be up close drilling the enemy and none of the shots count but a minor penalty should be applied to someone HOLDING the shoot button.

Your cursor would generally get bigger as you are moving/jumping/not aiming down sight like it has for CoD and Shadowrun, Halo doesn't go by these rules yet it DOES if you crouch. Why are they choosing to follow certain rules of thumb but not others?

Because they used bloom on the wrong shit. If they wanted to nerf the DMR they should have just removed some bullets from the clip, right now its pretty massive and the beta it worked fine.

GhaleonEB said:
You know: What was the best challenge? In my opinion it was the one where you had to shoot down the drop pods from the Corvette in LNoS. If it is possible, then I want more challenge like this. But yeah it is impossible.

Homeboyd

GhaleonEB said:
I strongly suspect that the Challenges are baked into the game and that we've seen the scope they have to offer. But I am anticipating some improvement in how they are deployed, as there is much room to address inconsistancies between Challenges. Campaign Challenges really should be worth more, to make up for the lack of commendations and game complete bonuses. (C'mon 343, please step up and actively manage Challenges.)
Yeah I know they're limited (well I assume they are based on what I've read - namely from your write up) but I'm wondering how many are baked in that have never even come up for whatever reason. The Search and Destroy type of challenges are my personal favorite... i.e. The Golden Tree City.

I die a little inside when I see 2 out of every 4 daily challenge is "Kill [X] amount of enemies..." and "Earn [X] amount of assists..." Not to mention the payouts decreasing as more and more players move up the ranks...

:/

Top Bottom