• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

FyreWulff

I don't think we've seen all of them yet. Golden Tree City is an example, so you'd think there would be challenges for every other BOB in the game.

You have to strike a balance between offering new challenges (and burning through the stash faster) or repeating them a bit since you always have new players buying the game so they get to try some of the challenges we've already been through.

If there's one I hate though, it's definitely the one that required 150 games in MM. Ideally, Weeklies should only take 3 and maybe up to 4 days to complete. The 150 game was evil because even with heavy game playing, it still took me 6 days to finish. If anybody actually a 9-5 steady job or any other stuff come up, they weren't going to finish that challenge. Which is why I was so damn happy when this last one game up and I had it done in 10 minutes after that grind.

I'm wondering if we're gonna get "This Is How We Do It" again, but on Legendary at some point.

ncsuDuncan said:
Bwah? I like the movie, it's good campy fun wth Amy Smart... mmm. But calling it Starship Troopers is an affront to the book.
It's too campy for me. Maybe I should watch it again.

Tonight might be the first time I've played Reach in two weeks. How's the BTB All Stars playlist?

Also, I finally noticed that Bungie removed Comm Chatter from the front page. :^(

FyreWulff said:
I'm pretty sure that's just a special layout for Bungie Day
I seriously hope so.

GhaleonEB said:
I strongly suspect that the Challenges are baked into the game and that we've seen the scope they have to offer. But I am anticipating some improvement in how they are deployed, as there is much room to address inconsistancies between Challenges. Also, Campaign Challenges really should be worth more, to make up for the lack of commendations and game complete bonuses. (C'mon 343, please step up and actively manage Challenges.)
Have to say that I've been happy with the couple of recent Legendary/no death challenges were you could actually do them in the co-op playlist. Need more of these, please. But yes, the overall Challenge system needs some serious love.

GhaleonEB

FyreWulff said:
I don't think we've seen all of them yet. Golden Tree City is an example, so you'd think there would be challenges for every other BOB in the game.
I speculated about this a bit in my Challenges article. Either there is a Challenge for each B.O.B. in the game, or that was the unique one for that particular mission.

Campaign_Kills_Missions.png

We don't have evidence either way; the only other B.O.B. Challenge we've seen is to kill them on Heroic or higher on any mission.

Since I wrote the article, several of the gaps I predicted would be closed have since been, with the L.D. and Legendary no-death Challenges for other missions cropping up, about five in total. But otherwise, we've seen nothing new. I'm still expecting one or two unique ones to fill in the missing missions in the table above, and I'm expecting the SLASO runs Urk mentioned in a BWU back in November to rear their head eventually. But otherwise I think we've seen the extent of them.

I do hope Bungie's next game includes a challenge system, one which enables new goals to be compiled from the various game systems rather than baking them into the game. Reach was a good start but it could be so much more.

MrBig

GhaleonEB said:
I strongly suspect that the Challenges are baked into the game and that we've seen the scope they have to offer. But I am anticipating some improvement in how they are deployed, as there is much room to address inconsistancies between Challenges. Also, Campaign Challenges really should be worth more, to make up for the lack of commendations and game complete bonuses. (C'mon 343, please step up and actively manage Challenges.)
Urk said, in this thread actually, that they have some room to change/edit/create challenges.

GhaleonEB

MrBig said:
Urk said, in this thread actually, that they have some room to change/edit/create challenges.
If you could link to the post that would be great, because I missed it. What I can tell from looking at the Challenges, the only things being edited are the number of required tasks (100 kills versus 200 kills) and the payouts. Thre is no evidence in the Challenges themselves that they are editable outside of those parameters; they all fall into very neat buckets.

I'd like nothing more than for new ones to be created; from about six weeks into Reach's run the categories the daily Challenges fall into have not changed at all. If they can be updated, I do hope 343 spends some time and resources doing so.

I would love to hear more about how flexible they are in if there are plans to make updates.

FyreWulff

I hope there's a Daily on Bungie Day that's "Get 7 kills in any game mode - 77,777cR"

At minimum, I'll be disappointed if every Daily during Bungie Day isn't 7 themed.

Link up with Bungie.net - 777cR etc

Hitmonchan107 said:
Thanks. I'm curious to see what it is, though. Ilovebees was a phenomenal ARG.

Edit: Also, Wu, I just saw your post on the HBO forums about "Ringworld." I'm headed to my library to pick it up now. (It'll have to wait until I finish "The Dharma Bums," though.)
Do it. Ringworld is awesome.

Cryptum reminded me of Ringworld.

blamite

Blue Ninja said:
Do it. Ringworld is awesome.

Cryptum reminded me of Ringworld.
I picked up Ringworld a while back, And I started it a while ago but just haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I'm now adding it to my bottomless list of things to finish over the summer.
Are the sequels good as well?

Woorloog

Banned
blamite said:
I picked up Ringworld a while back, And I started it a while ago but just haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I'm now adding it to my bottomless list of things to finish over the summer.
IMO they're better in some ways. They're good, if you can deal with a retcon or two.

blamite said:
The Ringworld Engineers is good, too. My local library didn't have The Ringworld Throne, so a lot of Ringworld's Children didn't really make sense to me.

Speaking of interesting sci-fi literature, you should definitely give The Hyperion Cantos a read if you haven't already. I haven't read the final two novels yet, but the first two pretty much stand on their own. A lot of stuff from Reach's terminals seemed like it got lifted straight out of the Hyperion universe.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Blue Ninja said:
The Ringworld Engineers is good, too. My local library didn't have The Ringworld Throne, so a lot of Ringworld's Children didn't really make sense to me.

Speaking of interesting sci-fi literature, you should definitely give The Hyperion Cantos a read if you haven't already. I haven't read the final two novels yet, but the first two pretty much stand on their own. A lot of stuff from Reach's terminals seemed like it got lifted straight out of the Hyperion universe.

The Minds from the Culture series had a bigger influence on the datapads, I think. =P

There's no way anyone reading the first Hyperion book would connect it to the datapads in any way. Then again, I could be wrong. Some folks might draw a straight line from the TechnoCore to the datapads.

J-Roderton

FyreWulff said:
I hope there's a Daily on Bungie Day that's "Get 7 kills in any game mode - 77,777cR"

At minimum, I'll be disappointed if every Daily during Bungie Day isn't 7 themed.

Link up with Bungie.net - 777cR etc

I aprove of this idea.

Finally caught up with the thread.

As Zeouterlimits mentioned, Belfast was unkind to us Halo wise. It was rather unfortunate that they didn't allocate more time for it. There were plenty of 2 man teams... so they went 2v2v2v2. They had even went with Slayer Pro variants.. but that just meant that there were far too many grenades and no ways of dodging/absorbing them. A dude that beat me and my bro back in Dublin last year was one kill ahead of me and Zeo and advanced up lol.

Zalinkrow is still waiting in PurgatoryGaf :p

MrBig

GhaleonEB said:
If you could link to the post that would be great, because I missed it. What I can tell from looking at the Challenges, the only things being edited are the number of required tasks (100 kills versus 200 kills) and the payouts. Thre is no evidence in the Challenges themselves that they are editable outside of those parameters; they all fall into very neat buckets.

I'd like nothing more than for new ones to be created; from about six weeks into Reach's run the categories the daily Challenges fall into have not changed at all. If they can be updated, I do hope 343 spends some time and resources doing so.

I would love to hear more about how flexible they are in if there are plans to make updates.
I can't remember his exact wording so I can't comment on any of that, and I couldn't get google to turn up anything

Did find this interesting thread though http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=323063

Dani said:
There's no way anyone reading the first Hyperion book would connect it to the datapads in any way. Then again, I could be wrong. Some folks might draw a straight line from the TechnoCore to the datapads.
I'm mostly talking about "The Fall of Hyperion", here, where the TechnoCore is a bit more fleshed out and becomes a major player.

For those who want to read Hyperion (and more importantly, its sequels), here be spoilers:

The way the Assembly wants to distance themselves from humanity and protect them from themselves at the same time immediately reminded me of the TechnoCore. I haven't read the Culture series, so I can't make any judgment about that, but the Assembly definitely got some cues from the Core. Or the Core got cues from the Minds. Or the Minds got cues from the Core.

<< Incredible. [10141-026-SRB4695], with minimal influence from this Assembly, has attempted to build an abstract fractal structure within Shaw-Fujikawa Space. Although her first attempt was a failure, success could finally remove our dependence on biological systems altogether! If our Minds could somehow achieve freedom of expansion within eleven-dimensional space, immortality might be within reach. <<
The TechnoCore were hiding in the Farcaster Network, in a lot of ways the Hyperion-equivalent to Slipspace travel.

<< Each of us represents a single trans-human mind. Each of us is an undrawn map – not a mere physical reconstruction of an object as it was in life – but full, human potential realized in crystal and thinking at the speed of light!

But now that map has, for the first time, been superimposed on one of our creators. The path has been reversed, and we are re-made as one! <<
This, the first time I read it, immediately reminded me of the way Brawne Lamia's daughter, a human-A.I. hybrid, was seen as a "herald of new times". Though the destinies of the Chief and Aenea are apparently vastly diverse (I haven't read the Endymion novels), you can't deny there's some similarities. :lol

MrBig

Dani said:
The first book doesn't really have much exposition on the technocore. If you were to simplify down the technocore to one body, it behaves much in the same way as the AI in the data pads, but while the technocore is parasitic and the Datapad AI are symbiotic, they both largely controlled humans and held them as a level below them in evolution. Giving technological advancements as needed, deciding events, controlling outcomes, etc
They can't be directly compared, but there is a correlation.

Major Williams said:
Speaking of novels, when is the new one due out? I wants me another Halo book!
The sequel to Ghosts of Onyx, called 'Halo: Glasslands' is coming out in October.

I thought the next novel in the Forerunner trilogy is supposedly coming out at the end of the year, as well.

MrBig said:
The first book doesn't really have much exposition on the technocore. If you were to simplify down the technocore to one body, it behaves much in the same way as the AI in the data pads, but while the technocore is parasitic and the Datapad AI are symbiotic, they both largely controlled humans and held them as a level below them in evolution. Giving technological advancements as needed, deciding events, controlling outcomes, etc
They can't be directly compared, but there is a correlation.
Pretty much. If my memory serves correctly, the TechnoCore is also divided into a few different 'factions' that have a different view as to where Humanity's future should lead. Their 'discussions' are a bit more hostile than what we've seen of the Assembly, though. :lol

MrBig

Blue Ninja said:
Pretty much. If my memory serves correctly, the TechnoCore is also divided into a few different 'factions' that have a different view as to where Humanity's future should lead. Their 'discussions' are a bit more hostile than what we've seen of the Assembly, though. :lol
Just a bit, ya
also they speak in poetic language

Woorloog

Banned
Blue Ninja said:
The sequel to Ghosts of Onyx, called 'Halo: Glasslands' is coming out in October.

I thought the next novel in the Forerunner trilogy is supposedly coming out at the end of the year, as well.

Pretty much. :)
Traviss' novel has gained a name? Hmm, fitting name, i suppose. I just worry about her writing. I liked Republic Commando novels, mostly, though there are some... issues, and i've read about her Gears novels...
Eh, at least i doubt they'll be worse than Nylunds stuff (yeah, i don't like Nylunds Halo books really, Onyx is all right but has some strange stuff (440mm artillery, Covie civil war seems to be inconsistent with the rest of the canon in some ways, though it's been some time since i read it so i might not be recalling things correctly).

Played multiplayer for the first time in months.

Uhh...what's with nearly ALL the maps being Forge variants? Almost every pregame lobby ends up having a selection of three maps I've never heard of (doesn't help that all three map icons are the standard Forge World icon). It's really quite aggravating. I'd much rather play the maps shipped on the disc, because at least then there'd be some visual variance.

FyreWulff

Jack Scofield said:

Uhh...what's with nearly ALL the maps being Forge variants? Almost every pregame lobby ends up having a selection of three maps I've never heard of (doesn't help that all three map icons are the standard Forge World icon). It's really quite aggravating. I'd much rather play the maps shipped on the disc, because at least then there'd be some visual variance.

Squad Slayer if you just want base maps

Kuroyume

Banned
Jack Scofield said:

FORGE

lol

Detox

Jack Scofield said:

"Forge World is more than just a map...it's a blank, Forerunner-themed canvas with unlimited creative potential."

Detox said:

I'm quite aware of what Forge World is, I'm just annoyed how seemingly all the multiplayer maps are now fan-built creations using the same assets and visual aesthetic. Everything just blends together, especially for someone like me who doesn't play the game often enough to differentiate between the identical-looking Forge maps.

My time is valuable to me, so when I have free time to play online, I don't want to waste it playing little Timmy's poorly-conceived piece of shit map. If anything, put these lame maps into a specific playlist and keep them from infecting Team Slayer and Big Team Battle with their incompetent design and sensibilities.

Jack Scofield said:
I'm quite aware of what Forge World is, I'm just annoyed how seemingly all the multiplayer maps are now fan-built creations using the same assets and visual aesthetic. Everything just blends together, especially for someone like me who doesn't play the game often enough to differentiate between the identical-looking Forge maps.

My time is valuable to me, so when I have free time to play online, I don't want to waste it playing little Timmy's poorly-conceived piece of shit map. If anything, put these lame maps into a specific playlist and keep them from infecting Team Slayer and Big Team Battle with their incompetent design and sensibilities.
So far from the truth it's delicious.

Striker

Jack Scofield said:

Why are you playing Team Slayer in the first place? Squad Battle offers more base maps and less of the community offerings. And it doesn't have armor lock which spoils any remotely fun aspect of 4v4 slayer.

Some of the community BTB maps are odd. Renegade is poor, mostly to the poor addition of Banshees and Spartan Laser, the actual map itself is boring. Abridged is gigantic and has bunch of towers everywhere and tons of anti-vehicle weapons all of the place.

We need more maps like this back, really.

No fall damage has to be the precursor to no bloom. Just sayin'...

Possibility of having essentially more than one Halo game's multiplayer at hand on one disc is sounding quite awesome if these Classic++ settings are anything to go by.

Any doubt about the Classic ++ playlist has been washed away. (Not that I had much doubt to begin with.)

A Title Update... wow.

Is it HaloFest time yet?

FyreWulff

wwm0nkey said:
Sp Classic ++ can be played on Halo Reach default?

Hopefully No Bloom announcement is soon.

I'm pretty sure bloom is client side and would require re-shipping all the maps as a ~8GB download, and break inter-version compatibility; something that none of the previous Halo games have yet to ever do.

I'm still going with my previous prediction of classic weapons in the CEA maps Forge palette.

I just hope whatever they do, that Reach is using the new permanent patch tech that Rock Band 3 has. It's going to be very annoying to go randomly losing films when the game randomly loses it's patch..

Top Bottom