• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

GhaleonEB

Two grumbles.

1) My opinion of Unearthed has slowly transitioned from flawed gem to enormous wasted opportunity. Lots of small geometry problems and a near total dearth of vehicles are inexplicable on a map built for vehicles. I just had a game where myself and one other player got through to the end of the third round. We saw one Wraith and two Ghosts that entire time. We didn't touch the Rocket Hog, because it's terrible. (For comparison, I average killing about six Wraiths per game on Beachhead, with a game best of 12.) I do not understand why 343i and CS built a Firefight map for vehicles and then did not put vehicles on it.

2) I'm disappointed with the lack of post-launch support from Bungie. Many major bugs are simply left unfixed, and Bungie won't comment or respond to players who are asking for things to be fixed. I just sat out around ten minutes of a game of Firefight on Courtyard where two players were idling in the exploitable vent over center. They were both playing, just dancing around celebrating their ability to make everyone else miserable. I see this on every Firefight map. Bungie won't fix this, or respond to people asking them to do so. Whether they are unable or unwilling to do so, I do not know. It is something I wish 343i would look into. I do not understand why game-breaking exploits are not addressed in any way seven months post-ship.

Other problems like the betrayal boot left off and lack of extended game for one or more players add to the woes.

I know Firefight is a secondary mode in terms of popularity to Multiplayer, but as a big fan of it, it feels badly mishandled and neglected since release.

In fact, in a few years time, everyone will see all the bugs with Reach as a means of adding longevity to the game among with some other exploits/glitches :p

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
From the first time I played Unearthed I was thinking they should have put the Gauss on it instead of the Rocket Hog. Not that I play much Firefight anyway though.
Steelyuhas said:
Good games everyone. The race maps were sweet, and I got to play Tempest and Breakpoint in Big Team for the first time.
I didn't expect to get such a good reaction from the Race maps, everyone seemed to enjoy it.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
It's really easy for us to identify players who habitually don't earn kills in Firefight games. Banning people who earn a small amount of kills is much more problematic. There's a lot of potential for false positives. As recent as two or three weeks back, the online team implemented improved detection, but it's never going to be as targeted as any of us would like.

PNut

Banned
urk said:
It's really easy for us to identify players who habitually don't earn kills in Firefight games. Banning people who earn a small amount of kills is much more problematic. There's a lot of potential for false positives. As recent as two or three weeks back, the online team implemented improved detection, but it's never going to be as targeted as any of us would like.

To be honest...I've never understood why people find this such a huge problem to begin with. If people idle in FF it just means more kills and commendations for me. Can someone explain why they hate idlers in this gametype?

Dax01 said:
I think you'll probably have to get a new one.

I have my Halo 3 console still going strong after three years.

Yeah, looking that way. Jamming paper clips into the back of my box now. That's what some guy on Youtube told me to do anyway.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
urk said:

So, enter a game, kill 2 things, afk for a few minutes, rinse repeat.

Wonderful.

Preorder cancelled.

Lingitiz

PNut said:
To be honest...I've never understood why people find this such a huge problem to begin with. If people idle in FF it just means more kills and commendations for me. Can someone explain why they hate idlers in this gametype?
Firefight is a coop experience so when idlers are there it just ruins the whole purpose of the match. Firefight limited can't really be played unless you have a full team working together.

That being said, I don't play firefight to be competitive or anything, just to mess around, relax, and take a break from the versus modes, so idlers aren't a huge deal to me. Still, I can see why its a big deal to those that spend hours in firefight.

Ramirez

urk said:

I don't even think he was complaining about them being idle, he wants kill barriers put in these places that you can Reach and the AI can't touch you.

I wish the booting system in MP made sense, the other night a guy was flipping our Warthogs with the Revenant, he gets killed, respawns and grabs a plasma pistol, EMPs my Wraith and gets right next to it. I engage an enemy and the guy jumps in front of me boosting on purpose, I betray him and get booted, makes no sense to me when he had already been shooting our hogs and our Wraith.

PNut said:

How can you NOT see the problem they have? Idlers deplete your pool of lives, and in the case Ghaleon was citing can make the game last the entire time if they are the last men standing and hiding in an unreachable spot, leaving you to hold your dick for 15 minutes or more.

I still have yet to experience Unearthed in matchmaking firefight. Every time I meet up with my firefight buddy its always the same: three rounds of voting, and Unearthed *never* appears.

At this point it would have been better if the DLC was just the versus maps with Unearthed being offered free to all.

Ramirez

I know some of you really like Firefight, but I hope another map slot is never wasted on FF ever again. Make FF map packs a separate thing or something if you must. :p

Recarpo

PNut said:

It's not terrible in arcade as you usually have weapons that can do some damage, but you still are having to run all over the map to round up stragglers to get to the next wave. It's just an all around pain in the ass to have a few teammates not playing. In limited, it completely breaks the game as you pretty much need a full team working together to be able to get through the game.

O D I N

Ramirez said:
I know some of you really like Firefight, but I hope another map slot is never wasted on FF ever again. Make FF map packs a separate thing or something if you must. :p

I agree with this. Or at least give us 3 multiplayer maps and a FF map. :)

The only reason I say that, is because compared to multiplayer (for vs.), how many people are playing FF? I love both modes personally, but I think FF needs some loving too.

Okay, not making much sense here.

I'd love to see more FF maps, but not really bundled with MM maps, as there is a larger audience for MM compared to FF.

... Imma shutup now. D:

O D I N

NullPointer said:
Agreed on this entirely, and I think Firefight is the very best part of Reach.

I tell my friends this all the time; I come back to Reach for Firefight and customs. And I love FF Arcade. The name suits it (to a degree).

neclas

NullPointer said:
I still have yet to experience Unearthed in matchmaking firefight. Every time I meet up with my firefight buddy its always the same: three rounds of voting, and Unearthed *never* appears.
When I do see Unearthed show up, it's always during the first voting round. I've had it come up a lot more often in FF Limited than in FF Arcade.

GhaleonEB

urk said:
I understand how tough that is; you can only detect so much, but if people are going to grief, they're going to find ways to do so. People of that nature are (alarmingly) resourceful.

I was more lamenting the lack of more direct solutions. Possible solutions to this specific issue are: 1) fix the soft kill zones, and if that's not possible, 2) remove jet packs from the maps with exploitable idling locations, because nearly all of them require jet packs to access. In Halo 3, multiple pieces of equipment were removed because they were exploitable (the flare and radar jammer double-jump). This puts those to shame, and if removing the jet pack from one playlist solves a huge problem, it's for the best. Jet packs and Firefight Limited don't play well together anyways. It really does ruin many a game.

feel

Keep on doing a great job getting even games MM search engine!! Me and 2 friends just got matched against the new Final Boss on MLG... TS on Nexus, 3v4 most of the match, hilarity ensued.

OutDMRing Roy a couple of times felt great though

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Letters said:
Keep on doing a great job getting even games MM search engine!! Me and 2 friends just got matched against the new Final Boss on MLG... TS on Nexus, 3v4 most of the match, hilarity ensued.

OutDMRing Roy a couple of times felt great though

Hahahaha awesome.

Every time I go solo, i get matched up with people of my skill, the only problem is that I always get put on the bad team. Everybody is of similar skill but it put the lower end people on my team. Even when it's all solo people in the game. This is why I hardly ever go in solo. I always go in with a team.

GhaleonEB

Two tidbits from tonight's play.

I tend to have a laser-like focus on taking down Wraiths on Beachhead. Often I'll just ignore enemies right around the Wraith in favor of boarding it doggystyle and pounding it until it blows, knowing most enemies won't attack while I'm doing so (they like to watch). Sometimes I'll do it with some rather dangerous company, and still get away with it.

Before that, I played a game of BTB for the precision weapon Challenge. One-Flag CTF on Boardwalk. It went like this:

reach_16355248_Full.jpg

Edit: Almost forgot my actual highlight of the night. I got my first Killionaire in Firefight Limited that wasn't from the Target Locator. Just two frag grenades. I'd been working on trying to nail those two throws for a while, but finally pulled it off.

Kujo

The thing that bugs me about firefight is the inconsistent soft kill places. I understand stopping you from getting up the top/out of maps, but not allowing me to stand on a lamp post or on top of a small bit of enclosure, it bums me out.

Kibbles

Ramirez said:
I wish the booting system in MP made sense, the other night a guy was flipping our Warthogs with the Revenant, he gets killed, respawns and grabs a plasma pistol, EMPs my Wraith and gets right next to it. I engage an enemy and the guy jumps in front of me boosting on purpose, I betray him and get booted, makes no sense to me when he had already been shooting our hogs and our Wraith.
Stuff like this happens to be quite a bit. I had someone kill me a few times before, deliberately at our spawn, without being able to boot him, but then on Countdown I throw a plasma to kill an enemy when a team-mate flys up the lift and lands on it as it explodes, then I get booted >_> Oh and the BTB games where you have people going -15, -5 by killing each other for fun it seems. There should be an auto-boot if you reach -3 to -5 kills. They weren't betraying any of us so we couldn't boot them.

GhaleonEB

PNut said:
I missed this post earlier.

Most of the time I root to get matched up with less than a full party, so I don't have to deal with many team mates; if there was a way to play normal Firefight in matchmaking solo, I would.

The problem comes to play when there are limited lives. If everyone dies, the Last Man Standing is in a location where the Covenant cannot kill them. And that means the game runs on you decide to quit, or the game runs out of time.

This is what was happening during the game I rage posted about:

reach_16358384_Full.jpg

And right up there next to him:

reach_16358387_Full.jpg

The enemy cannot detect them there, and there is no soft kill barrier.

Look at the post game (click Carnage). That big swath at the end with no kills? We ran out of lives and they were idling up there in safety.One dude decided to fly down and snag some Ordnance to use while up there for a few kills near the end. But I had to wait out nearly ten minutes while they laughed it up.

That's why it's a problem.

I mentioned betrayals. Right now friendly fire is turned off, but so are betrayals. That's a problem bcause you can still betray players with vehicles; splatters and Wraith mortars kill team mates, and you can blow up the vehicle a player is in to kill them. It means players can go on vehicular betrayal sprees with zero recourse. Like this.

It's one reason I refuse to get into a vehicle under almost any circumstance, and if a player is in a Ghost, I don't step off of infantry-only high ground until they've been killed. Nine times out of ten, if there's someone a Ghost, they'll go for the splatter on team mates if anyone wanders down into the open. And the current settings mean they're free to do so as much as they want. I've been asking for betrayal booting to be turned back on for this reason.

Kibbles

Waiting for Sai to pass out
KuGsj.gif
Him and KC have been owning that chat.

Reach related: Finally got my Mark V baby. Now I gotta get gold visor, got black for now.

NOKYARD

urk said:
Banning people who earn a small amount of kills is much more problematic. There's a lot of potential for false positives.
Simple. Use my stats as a baseline. If they get fewer kills than me in a game they are either Idle, AFK, or brain dead.

GhaleonEB said:
boarding it doggystyle and pounding it until it blows.
Watch your mouth young man. You are fouling this once clean thread...

Anyway, i've been avoiding XBL, so Oracle and myself are once again playing through the entire Halo saga on Heroic in chronological order. Tonight it was Metropolis into ODST. At the start of ODST i decided to see how long i could go without picking up, or swapping out a weapon. So far, with one mission to go, i have used nothing but starting weapons. Going to see how long into Halo 2 i can keep this up. Regret will be a bitch!

Top Bottom