• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Hey You said:
I'm sure the gametype described could be created in Reach.

Perhaps, but I wouldn't know how. But you're probably right, seeing that Chess is posible in Reach.
I've actually never really tried to mess around with the gametype options in custom or firefight. One time I tried to make a Jurrasic Park gametype in Firefight but I couldn't get the settings right so I gave up.

The audiobook version of Halo: Evolutions is a Science Fiction/Fantasy finalist for the 2011 Audies award, the audiobook industry's Oscars. The winners will be announced May 24. Did you know that Steve Downes, Frank O’Connor, Jen Taylor and Holter Graham (minor character Sam Odessa from Red Dead Redemption) narrated Evolutions? I didn't. Here's the full list of 2011 Audies finalists. Edit: If you take advantage of the Audible deal that kanbo mentioned Friday, you can get Evolutions for free! I might just do that.

I'm sure this is commonplace for members of the 405th, but this kind of thing fascinates my artistically challenged brain. BenStreeper posted pictures of a work-in-progress commissioned Reach armor suit. From what I've been reading, it's made out of FedEx Express cardboard boxes. Too cool. And this is the direct link to BenStreeper's Photobucket album. Also, this is the culmination of two days work. Wow.

YouTube user justCrafted is looking for clips for a community montage. Here's a teaser posted earlier today of what you could expect of the editing style.

And finally, My Gamer Connections is offering a chance to spend an hour of Reach game time with MLG Pro Ghostayame. He's currently with the team Heaven and Earth, although he previously played for Team Classic and Carbon. You'll need to create an account and send a message to Site Owner Jake Tanner by Sunday night.

MrBig said:
Another amazing mini-game from the same guy who made NASCAR
http://www.forgehub.com/forum/reach-mini-game-maps/123470-avalanche.html

e: I hadn't realised that you can make anything the score object with the new haloball gametype.
This opens it up to so many possibilities.
You can have weapons, AAs, anything you can pick be the thing you put in the goal. I'm having some trouble getting some inspiration for what to do with it, so if anyone has any good ideas I will be able to build it.

e2: Payload. Wolf you in?

Hell yeah I am in, send me a PM about it I will be on tonight.

Hitmonchan107 said:
The audiobook version of Halo: Evolutions is a Science Fiction/Fantasy finalist for the 2011 Audies award, the audiobook industry's Oscars. The winners will be announced May 24. Did you know that Steve Downes, Frank O’Connor, Jen Taylor and Holter Graham (minor character Sam Odessa from Red Dead Redemption) narrated Evolutions? I didn't. Here's the full list of 2011 Audies finalists. Edit: If you take advantage of the Audible deal that kanbo mentioned Friday, you can get Evolutions for free! I might just do that.

I'm sure this is commonplace for the members of the 405th, but this kind of thing fascinates my artistically challenged brain. BenStreeper posted pictures of a work-in-progress commissioned Reach armor suit. From what I've been reading, it's made out of FedEx Express cardboard boxes. Too cool. And this is the direct link to BenStreeper's Photobucket album. Also, this is the culmination of two days work. Wow.

YouTube user justCrafted is looking for clips for a community montage. Here's a teaser posted earlier today of what you could expect of the editing style.

And finally, My Gamer Connections is offering a chance to spend an hour of Reach game time with MLG Pro Ghostayame. He's currently with the team Heaven and Earth, although he previously played for Team Classic and Carbon. You'll need to create an account and send a message to Site Owner Jake Tanner by Sunday night.

Sup Louis Wu. :p

By the way, I know this was posted here a week or so ago, but this speedrun blew my mind:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAwFnItSDPo&feature=player_embedded
I havent watched it all, I noticed that the Silent Cartographer was done in 5 mins and so skipped at around the 30 minuite mark to watch that. The way they got through that mission so quick blew my mind.

Hitmonchan107 said:
Congrats, Frankie & Co.

Karl2177

Unless someone has already started them, ForgeGAF customs in 5 minutes. It will be smaller maps first, so if I don't accept you immediately don't be discouraged from joining later. Message to Karl2177 if you want in.

[UPDATE]Canceling it for this week.

Matchmaking anybody?

Nevermind, fuck this shit. They really need to implement some sort of search filter so I don't have to matched up against full teams when matchmaking solo. It's bullshit.

wwm0nkey

Blue Ninja said:
Yeah, that does sound kind of awesome. Couldn't you just have two teams fighting each other until a certain time limit expires, when a random player gets turned into the Juggernaut and teleported away to a certain spawn point?

In any case, since teams aren't possible, it seems, this is all speculation anyways. :lol
I am sure Bungie could make my gametype with their tools.

Barrow Roll said:
Matchmaking anybody?

Nevermind, fuck this shit. They really need to implement some sort of search filter so I don't have to matched up against full teams when matchmaking solo. It's bullshit.
Give me a minute to finish my blogs and I'll be online.

Gui_PT said:
I think I'm getting on for a few matches if anyone wants to party up.

But be warned, I've been in a pissy mood and will have no problem in quitting if I start getting that usual Reach bullshit
I hear ya. I'm getting online now.

Gui_PT

I think I'm getting on for a few matches if anyone wants to party up.

But be warned, I've been in a pissy mood and will have no problem in quitting if I start getting that usual Reach bullshit

Havok

I like how one precision weapon kill is equivalent to roughly 6.5 automatic weapon kills for today's challenges. Math.

Lingitiz

Barrow Roll said:
Matchmaking anybody?

Yeah you pretty much can't play any 4v4 playlist without a party because a coordinated team will just destroy you. I try to stay away from classic and slayer if i'm not partied up.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Lingitiz said:
Yeah you pretty much can't play any 4v4 playlist without a party because a coordinated team will just destroy you. I try to stay away from classic and slayer if i'm not partied up.

That's Halo in a nutshell. Even BTB has that issue.

Lingitiz

Alienshogun said:
That's Halo in a nutshell. Even BTB has that issue.
I've never really had any problems in the other playlists but BTB is pretty bad because a ton of full high level parties head in there. I usually have no problem holding my own if I play during the day, but teams obviously tend to party up later in the day so I try to watch out for that.

I just understand that if I don't want to be frustrated playing competitively there's no choice but to have at least one teammate that you know can hold their own. I've enjoyed the other side of Halo alot more though, which is screwing around in playlists like action sack and the dlc maps.

From here on out, I'm quitting every time Elite Slayer is chosen.

At one point, there were only four people left, and there were five vehicles circling our base.

After awhile, I started luring fools into my armor lock.

I might post some videos later.

Sorry I didn't play with a headset, guys.

PsychoRaven said:
Well I hate to say it but having 4 quitters tends to lead to you getting destroyed. I find when I'm lucky to get Elite slayer in the modes I play everyone stays for the most part.
Sorry, I forgot to mention that my displeasure toward Elite Slayer has been long-standing.

Tunavi

Banned
Hitmonchan107 said:

At one point, there was only four people left, and there were five vehicles circling our base.

Some guy on our team went -41... :|
Somehow I made it to the teleporter through Wraith, ghost, and revenant fire, hid in the tunnels and picked people off when I could, I went 7 and 7.

Anyways, Matchmaking anyone?

ElRenoRaven

Hitmonchan107 said:

At one point, there were only four people left, and there were five vehicles circling our base.

Well I hate to say it but having 4 quitters tends to lead to you getting destroyed. I find when I'm lucky to get Elite slayer in the modes I play everyone stays for the most part.

Tunavi

Banned
PsychoRaven said:
cough cough
Starwolf and Tawpgun

kamikazemartian said:

I cant believe in all these years that I never tried going left instead of right when getting dropped off. I feel quite stupid for never trying it. Then again I did always love that beach landing and the battle that happened. It makes me wonder if im still oblivious to that kind of stuff though lol. Either way the trickery begind speed runs always impresses me.

JB1981

anything online that tells you what weapons are best against certain types of enemies? i'm playing reach on legendary and some of these fuckers are a tough to take down. it is also quite amazing how differently the game plays on this difficulty setting, so much more intense, every firefight is a hard-fought battle.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
JB1981 said:
anything online that tells you what weapons are best against certain types of enemies? i'm playing reach on legendary and some of these fuckers are a tough to take down. it is also quite amazing how differently the game plays on this difficulty setting, so much more intense, every firefight is a hard-fought battle.

What are you having a hard time with?

Anything in blue visable shield? kill the engineer first

Elites? Noob combo

Brutes with shields? Overcharged plasma and needler/needlerifle or other projectile weapons (spiker)

Brutes? Needler/needlerifle or other projectile weapon.

Hunters? Shoot their spines or their exposed back then put rounds into anything orange. Heading straight at them and jumping over them works better than strafing.

Skirmishers? go 300 style and make them come to you.

Grunts? Jackles? (lol)

Willeth

JB1981 said:
Plasma versus shielded enemies, bullets/headshots when the shields are down/helmets are popped off. Needles work great against Brutes. Hunters are best shot from behind. and Engineers give their allies around them an overshield, so take them out first.

Halo enemies in a nutshell.

O D I N

MrBig said:
Another amazing mini-game from the same guy who made NASCAR
http://www.forgehub.com/forum/reach-mini-game-maps/123470-avalanche.html

e: I hadn't realised that you can make anything the score object with the new haloball gametype.
This opens it up to so many possibilities.
You can have weapons, AAs, anything you can pick be the thing you put in the goal. I'm having some trouble getting some inspiration for what to do with it, so if anyone has any good ideas I will be able to build it.

e2: Payload. Wolf you in?

That looks fun as hell.

Havok

JB1981 said:
What the folks above said is generally good advice. Plasma for shields (in certain cases rapid fire plasma pistol shots are far more useful than overcharges to drain shields), precision weapon headshots for everything else, especially Needle Rifles (or simple needler rounds) for unshielded Brutes, and a single plasma pistol overcharge on Engineers. Hunters should be approached with heavy weapons, shotguns if you feel confident about getting behind them and being able to dodge, sticky grenades, or needle rounds into their ass.

It's really unfortunate that there isn't any good documentation within the game about what works on what. It leads to casual fans (and game reviewers) running around spraying assault rifles all the time and dying with melee rushes (and the misconception that that's all the game is).

Machinima has two new Halo videos. The first is titled HaloCraft, and it features teleporting Elites venturing to the world of Minecraft. The second is called Area 616. Three soldiers are brought in to secure an area when strange things start happening. Neither video did it for me, but they might do it for you.

NSFW: The latest episode of Sanity Not Included (posted over a week ago) had a hilarious moment with armor lock (this is safe).

If you live in Salt Lake City, Utah, there's a Reach tournament at All-Ways Wireless on April 30. Winners will receive cash prizes. Google Maps link for those who are interested.

And that's it for the week. I'm spent.

After I pick up my girlfriend from work, it's beer time.

Thanks for the kind words, HaloGAF. And a super special thanks to Louis Wu for the HBO love.

We'll start this train again next week.

Trasher

Customs need some MLG love IMO.

Nutter said:
So has it ever been explained how some games it says I have more kills in the post game lobby, and yet in game it says I had only 21. Do we get less "Kill Points" in game or something?

http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/gamestats.aspx?gameid=561115858&player=TJ%20NutterB

Look at Results and then Carnage.
Did the host change? I remember a couple games where the host changed, and my score was different (as in it had less kills) when the host switched and the game resumed. Then at the end in the post game stats it had the correct amount of kills I actually had all game.

Here's the game I remember it happening in. My score was 24, but I actually had 29 kills. I remember after the host changed that my sprees had been reset even though I hadn't died. That was the thing that tipped me off that something fishy was going on.

JB1981

Willeth said:
Plasma versus shielded enemies, bullets/headshots when the shields are down/helmets are popped off. Needles work great against Brutes. Hunters are best shot from behind. and Engineers give their allies around them an overshield, so take them out first.

Halo enemies in a nutshell.

who are the engineers?

JB1981 said:
who are the engineers?
more like a 'what':

VAguz.jpg

Definitely take them out first, they'll give you no resistance.

I tried to join customs today. But the lobby was always full. I'm kind of sad. Otherwise Im a bit happy, too. From December till End of feburary, customs had only a few participants and the games were over after an hour. So I'm happy to see, that HaloGAF user are playing right now. I hope Ghostbusters is still the favourite.

Hypertrooper said:
I tried to join customs today. But the lobby was always full. I'm kind of sad. Otherwise Im a bit happy, too. From December till End of feburary, customs had only a few participants and the games were over after an hour. So I'm happy to see, that HaloGAF user are playing right now. I hope Ghostbusters is still the favourite.
I am waiting around for a space, wanna do some MM in the meantime? Or anyone else for that matter? Gt = Hydranockz

PNut

Banned
Off-topic post:

I've only owned one XBOX 360. I've it for almost 3 years. Just turned it own to play some Halo and I got an error message "E 74" and one red light. At the moment I'm searching the internet for info but have yet to find a solution other than warping it in towels. wtf? Has my XBOX bit the dust? Is there a fix for this problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Hydranockz, are you from Germany too? I think I sent you a message once and confused you with Hypertrooper. Derp.

To all in customs: Sorry I quit out. Couldn't stand much more. I had fun.

Oh, and Tunnel of Doom is the best map ever. Admit it.

Dax01 said:
Hydranockz, are you from Germany too? I think I sent you a message once and confused you with Hypertrooper. Derp.

To all in customs: Sorry I quit out. Couldn't stand much more. I had fun.

Oh, and Tunnel of Doom is the best map ever. Admit it.
I'm Irish bro :p

Race/Destruction Derby maps are insanely fun.

PNut said:
Off-topic post:

I've only owned one XBOX 360. I've it for almost 3 years. Just turned it own to play some Halo and I got an error message "E 74" and one red light. At the moment I'm searching the internet for info but have yet to find a solution other than warping it in towels. wtf? Has my XBOX bit the dust? Is there a fix for this problem? Any help would be appreciated.
I think you'll probably have to get a new one.

I have my Halo 3 console still going strong after three years.

Top Bottom