• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Mojo said:
Remove friendly fire from all non-slayer playlists.
Reward credits based on flag/oddball carry time and not only on captures. Same for KOTH and others.
Reduce game completion credits, add more credits per kills in slayer games.

As competitive as Halo is, even in BTB I think removing friendly fire is a terrible idea.

Hell, I think friendly fire should be in every FPS.

Rewarding people for carrying OBJs still leads to the griefing problem (even if you disable friendly fire it would still be an issue).

Rewarding per kill would change how people interact in teams and reduce team play. People would simply wait for you do die and cleanup your kill.

Havok said:
It's not a perfect solution, but I guess that I would argue that it's a better solution than not encouraging team play at all. I honestly don't care about the actual act of gaining credits for myself, but the effect it has on player behavior can't be ignored. Unfortunately you're probably right, but in my eyes, having to deal with the very rare griefer who will be booted after a few minutes is a more appealing option than the ever-present random who plays Slayer back at base instead of trying to help.

Agreed. Definitely not perfect, but I would have preferred this to the current lack of objective encouragement.

Kujo

Alienshogun said:
I think friendly fire should be in every FPS.
Unless it's an ultra competitive playlist, I don't see the point. 90% of players now don't even care where their rocket/grenade goes anyway. I've been betrayed a ton, so you can see I'm not a fan :p

Alienshogun said:
Rewarding people for carrying OBJs still leads to the griefing problem (even if you disable friendly fire it would still be an issue). Rewarding per kill would change how people interact in teams and reduce team play. People would simply wait for you do die and cleanup your kill.
Of course they could hold onto a flag and not score it for credits, but then you implement a system where unless you're actively moving it towards the capture point, it drops and you can't carry it for a certain period, or whatever. And regarding slayer, don't people do that anyway?

I think the problem is the existance of griefers. The game should give an IQ test/age verification before you can play, and too many fuck ups and the disc tells your 360 to RROD

Gui_PT

Mojo said:
Of course they could hold onto a flag and not score it for credits, but then you implement a system where unless you're actively moving it towards the capture point, it drops and you can't carry it for a certain period, or whatever. And regarding slayer, don't people do that

I'm sure there's a button somewhere in the building they can press to accomplish that.

You know how complicated something like that would be? Jeeeeeeeesus, that would never work.

Kujo

Gui_PT said:
I'm sure there's a button somewhere in the building they can press to accomplish that.
lol I'm not suggesting any of this stuff could be built into Reach, Reach is what it is. I'm talking about future Halo's.

GhaleonEB

I'm all for simpler solutions. If you're going to have a performance bonus on a team game, I'd rather see it made binary: you get it or you don't, and the winning team receives it. It scales to your rank as with the Game Complete bonus, and is worth a decent chunk of credits. That way there is no benefit to sandbagging after it's clear you have won, there's no motivation to try and steal things like flag caps. If your team does well, you are rewarded.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Mojo said:
Unless it's an ultra competitive playlist, I don't see the point. 90% of players now don't even care where their rocket/grenade goes anyway. I've been betrayed a ton, so you can see I'm not a fan :p

Of course they could hold onto a flag and not score it for credits, but then you implement a system where unless you're actively moving it towards the capture point, it drops and you can't carry it for a certain period, or whatever. And regarding slayer, don't people do that anyway?

I think the problem is the existance of griefers. The game should give an IQ test/age verification before you can play, and too many fuck ups and the disc tells your 360 to RROD

That scenario does not work, there would be too many variables.

Say you back up to move around a friend, or back up to avoid an oncoming enemy. Well now you're fucked because you dropped the OBJ.

GhaleonEB said:
I'd like to suggest you guys consider yanking the jetpack from the offending maps just on Firefight Limited.
As a card carrying member of the Jetpack defense force I... agree with this. :)

Jetpacks were more useful for RocketFights and power weapon modes, as it was pretty much the only safe way to handle those weapons in a hectic match without killing everybody on your team in the process or getting teamkilled yourself. But since FF has been removed from Firefight it isn't needed.

Don't get me wrong, I love the jetpack with a steamy passion, and I play almost exclusively in Firefight mode, but it could definitely be removed from most maps. Tell ya what, I'll trade the jetpack in firefight limited if you give us our shotguns back.

Kujo

Alienshogun said:
Say you back up to move around a friend, or back up to avoid an oncoming enemy. Well now you're fucked because you dropped the OBJ.
This super complicated flag formula would not auto drop the flag the moment you move back, it gives you 15-30 seconds if there are no enemies around. With enemies around it waits until you're out of their radar zone. And these seconds are renewed every 15 metres you move.

Actually maybe not auto drop after 15 seconds, just put a huge ass red arrow above your head for the enemy team

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Mojo said:
This super complicated flag formula would not auto drop the flag the moment you move back, it gives you 15-30 seconds if there are no enemies around. With enemies around it waits until you're out of their radar zone. And these seconds are renewed every 15 metres you move.

Actually maybe not auto drop after 15 seconds, just put a huge ass red arrow above your head for the enemy team

You want them to implement this, when they can't effectively enforce betrayals and idlers?

Come on man.

I'm pretty sure you're joking at this point.

Kujo

Alienshogun said:
You want them to implement this, when they can't effectively enforce betrayals and idlers?
You have no faith in 343! (lol upside down i)

Super serious here though, I've lost count how many times I've been betrayed for a flag just before capturing it, or a sniper, or a vehicle, even once for a plasma pistol (who does that??). And then you get times where people just hold a flag/etc just so their team can get more kills, or griefers who refuse to capture it (I admit betraying would come in handy here, unless they boot you for it). Really bums me out

Ramirez

The winning team should get a guaranteed amount of credits, something like 1-2K, simple. Winning a game quickly should not reward you with next to nothing, this would also encourage people to actually work towards an objective for a win.

Tunavi

Banned
Zeouterlimits said:
Cookin' in HD.
Thank you

Untracked said:
Can I ask what Map and Gametype that is? It looks like fun.
Rent-a-car

In terms of fixing Reach:
1. 75% melee damage in all playlists
2. Remove drop shields from objective
3. Remove armor lock from all playlists except for BTB/Invasion
4. Spawn with only one grenade in Classic
Just get rid of all armor abilities

Kuroyume

Banned
If you're going to remove the shield from BTB also remember to remove it from Defiant because it's in there too.

Also, take AR starts out of there.

Kuroyume said:
If you're going to remove the shield from BTB also remember to remove it from Defiant because it's in there too.

Also, take AR starts out of there.

They switched the Slayer gametypes on the big maps in the DLC playlists for some reason. Slayer is AR starts on Highlands, and it is also AR starts on Breakpoint in the Noble playlist.

vhfive

Ramirez said:
The winning team should get a guaranteed amount of credits, something like 1-2K, simple. Winning a game quickly should not reward you with next to nothing, this would also encourage people to actually works towards an objective for a win.
completely agree

kylej

Banned
Steelyuhas said:
They switched the Slayer gametypes on the big maps in the DLC playlists for some reason. Slayer is AR starts on Highlands, and it is also AR starts on Breakpoint in the Noble playlist.

Shishka'd again :(

vhfive

Dani said:
Any particular reason why they removed DMR starts? Seems like a stupid thing to do with bigger teams on bigger maps.
It wasn't easy enough for the snipers to dominate when everyone had DMRs.

Ramirez said:
The winning team should get a guaranteed amount of credits, something like 1-2K, simple. Winning a game quickly should not reward you with next to nothing, this would also encourage people to actually work towards an objective for a win.
Yeah, I think that would give people more incentive to win and not play around but that really doesn't matter once you have everything in the armory you want.

Ramirez

Dax01 said:
Yeah, I think that would give people more incentive to win and not play around but that really doesn't matter once you have everything in the armory you want.

I think the vast majority of players who care about CR, care about that emblem next to their name, not their armor. Credits will matter to them for a long time...

Tawpgun

Been advocating the Victory Bonus since the Beta... when it gave you like 60 credits... WOW.

Victory Bonus should be substational. Over 1k DEFINITELY. I say 3k and Up. Losing team would get a Loss Penalty. -500-1k cR from the Payout. Make it percentage based. But finish positive? Add that back. MVP on losing team? Give him 1k.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Been advocating the Victory Bonus since the Beta... when it gave you like 60 credits... WOW.

Victory Bonus should be substational. Over 1k DEFINITELY. I say 3k and Up. Losing team would get a Loss Penalty. -500-1k cR from the Payout. Make it percentage based. But finish positive? Add that back. MVP on losing team? Give him 1k.
That's a terrible idea. People playing their best and being punished for it? Boo.

Gui_PT

Dax01 said:
That's a terrible idea. People playing their best and being punished for it? Boo.

Yeah, that's just horrible.

Especially since TrueSkill doesn't work and you get teamed up with morons quite often.

Kujo

Game completion bonus
Pros: Rewards players for staying, less incentive to quit
Cons: People will idle to get it, individual performance doesn't really come into play, rewards longer games and stalemates

Winning bonus
Pros: More incentive to work as a team, length of game doesn't matter
Cons: MVP of losing team misses out even if they played better than winning team while dealing with crappy teammates, more likely for a losing team to quit

Individual bonus
Pros: Rewards better performance/active gameplay, idlers get no credits
Cons: Crap players get low credits (pro?), more likely to quit if doing bad, griefers may screw around with others

Getting rid of credits
Pros: No more people whining about credits

Dani said:
Any particular reason why they removed DMR starts? Seems like a stupid thing to do with bigger teams on bigger maps.

Not sure. The slayer gametype on those maps went from the Big Team Slayer gametype to the default Slayer gametype.

Mojo said:
Getting rid of credits
Pros: No more people whining about credits
EDWIi.gif

The credit system was a good idea in theory, but in practice it leaves a lot to be desired. I'd be happiest if there was no visible indication of rank at all, but hey, people like shiny numbers next to their name.

That, and I wanted to test out my new Emile.gif. :lol

While on the subject of CR and the ranking system... did they reduce the credit payouts recently? I seem to be getting less CR for games now. :S

Slashprofilms made a Jaws parody in Halo: Reach. Give it a watch!

Want to win a copy of Dr. Halsey's journal? GP_Djalby, editor-in-chief of TheGamerPlex.com, is giving one away on Twitter! There doesn't seem to be a deadline, so if you'd like to enter, now would be a good time to do it.

X360 Magazine posted an article about alternative punishments for Halo: Reach cheaters. If No. 3 is even possible, I'm all for it.

iSnip3tality posted a trailer for Arkanum and Thrust's montage. The two are MLG pros who play for the team Swagger Like Us. The full montage will release this summer. I love the timing of the multi-kill sprees to the music.

HDCommunity posted a Halo: Reach/Halo 3 montage titled "I'm Still Just Mad 2" made by Just Mad. Nice to see that he continued his use of Keane music in Halo montages.

Does your Twitter profile picture need some Noble Team logo love? You can add this Twibbon and show your support!

Goozex is having a Halo: Reach game night Thursday at 9 p.m. EST. All participants will earn a Goozex token. If this will be your first time participating, you'll earn two tokens. By playing, you'll be entered into a random drawing for a Halo: Reach Banshee avatar prop. If you're new to Goozex, here's a quick summary of what it is. (And here's a popular NeoGAF Goozex thread.)

Game Ventures in Edenton, N.C., is having a 2v2 Reach MLG tournament Saturday at 4 p.m. The entrance fee is $10 per person. It will be using the v3 MLG rules and maps. Edenton is in the northeast corner of the state, and it's on the coastline. Here's Game Venture's YouTube channel of past LAN events and a Google Maps link for those who are interested.

BIKINIC0WZ posted this cute video on protecting the moa. Did you know that each year over 300 moas die by our hands? Please donate today to help save these wonderful creatures.

Quick reminder: The Xbox LIVE Enforcers Community Playdate is scheduled for Wednesday from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. For more information, take a look at Dani's post from Wednesday.

This was posted back in November, but a quick GAF/HBO search didn't pull up anything. YouTube user TRIFLETOX posted a video of a mod for Tip of the Spear that lets you control a Longsword. Also in his/her uploads is a video of Noble Team's Falcon getting hijacked on Winter Contingency. Good stuff!

Tawpgun

Dax01 said:

Maybe it is overdoing it, but I definitely want Performance Points, which you would unlock if you go positive and then it would scale up. Capturing objectives gives you bonuses only way to prevent betraying for objective would be to introduce some betrayal penalty, perhaps code it so it only penalizes betraying someone who is capturing or holding an objective.

It's tricky for objective, but it could work.

Victory Bonus gives you 2-3k extra credits. MVP Gets an additional 1k.

I just want to feel like I'm working for my rank. Not grinding.

And if they're going to put all these sweet looking "legendary" ranks, they NEED to have some kind of cool unlocks you get for being these high levels. Not just the haunted helmet at Inheritor or whatever. There needs to be a good progression with some of the juiciest unlocks for last.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Louis Wu said:
You know...

I'm not usually one of those guys griping about TrueSkill...

Guests, like a great many things, are far beyond the reach of TrueSkill.

Havok

Going into Big Team an hour ago:

Joke: "Watch us get Headhunter on Countdown or some shit like that."

First voting option: Headhunter on Countdown, Elite Slayer on Paradiso, BTB Snipers on Boneyard.

There are no words for the shame I feel.

Tawpgun

Havok said:

First voting option: Headhunter on Countdown, Elite Slayer on Paradiso, BTB Snipers on Boneyard.

There are no words for the shame I feel.

NONE OF THE ABOVE SO HARD

A27 Tawpgun said:
Maybe it is overdoing it, but I definitely want Performance Points, which you would unlock if you go positive and then it would scale up.
Performance credits are fine, man, so long as you don't punish people for doing poorly. What about people who are new to the game? They'll be losing as many credits as much as earning them. Everyone has a bad game here and there, or a bad day (I know I have bad days when I'm not doing well at all), and that would suck if I lost credits for doing badly.

Deducting credits for being a jerk? That's cool. Deducting credits for doing poorly? That's not cool.

Semi-related: I care about getting to the next rank, but not getting credits...if that makes any sense. That would frustrate me if I had a bad game and I lost credits.

Havok

A27 Tawpgun said:
NONE OF THE ABOVE SO HARD
We ended up at Big Bro Slayer on Boneyard, which contains the most annoying spawn system I have ever encountered. Zero seconds to respawn means zero seconds, game, not 15 seconds of staring at a wall.

Striker

Havok said:

Who said I was joking? :(

It's a famous gametype-map combination that shows up in BTB. Not to mention the million flavors of slayer variants. What flag? Too bad lol :|

We shall venture back in once Jeremiah addresses it in the update.

Remove: Bro Slayer, Headhunter, Crazy King, Elite Slayer, BTB Snipers, and Drop Shields. It'll be 1000% better instantly.

Havok

Striker said:
Who said I was joking? :(

It's a famous gametype-map combination that shows up in BTB. Not to mention the million flavors of slayer variants. What flag? Too bad lol :|

We shall venture back in once Jeremiah addresses it in the update.

Remove: Bro Slayer, Headhunter, Crazy King, Elite Slayer, BTB Snipers, and Drop Shields. It'll be 1000% better instantly.
I had hoped it was dark humor. Y'know, like when you take a trip into the Congo and joke about getting malaria.

Top Bottom