• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

senador

Banned
Gabo´s Palace said:
I understand your hate but without forge maps the BTB playlist would be even worse, Wayont, Trident and Mt. Lam Lam are some of the best BTB maps right now.
Utopie and Hemorrhage... don't think so.

I don't play BTB much, but when I have those maps haven't been fun for me. I forgot about Wayont though, that map is fun for Flag games.

GhaleonEB said:
Paridso, Hemhorrage, Boneyard and Spire set the bar rather low for BTB maps. I dislike many of the Forge variants, but they are often improvements over the shipping set.

Just wanted to reiterate how I hope 343 starts managing playlists on a per-map basis, not just at the game type and playlist level. There are so many maps where I'm like, this would be great if it weren't for X, but X would never be addressed under Jeremiah's playlist approach (today's instance being jetpacks on Reflection).

Giving the Challenges some love would be nice as well. I hope 343 details their Reach upkeep plans shortly after the final Bungie update.

Yup, pretty low BTB bar. The Forge maps in BTB are a nice addition, but I still don't like them.

I too hope for some map based gametypes, and the challenges have been lacking for a long time. I'd like to at least see payouts increased.

bobs99 ... said:
Swordbase wouldnt be so bad if the Gold Lift room didnt just have a small doorway. That area should be a lot more open in my opinion to the extent that I dont think the wall should be there and Gold lift should really just open out to the top floor of the building. I just generally dont enjoy that map even when people dont camp gold room though, so im not sure its salvageable. :p

Agreed! I've been wanting that whole wall taken out since launch. I think opening that up would really help, too bad it can't happen.
I like Swordbase way less since the Grenade Launcher was moved to middle bridge.

MrBig said:
Forge maps are fine as long as they are made well. There are, however, way too many terrible maps, in gameplay, execution, and design, in matchmaking now that make people believe there is no hope for them. That, and its ALL GRAY, not only making them all look the same, but makes people think they are all the same. Not to mention limits creativity. Great system, forge is. But it has a bad palette. If there's going to be another FW, don't put glass on everything, don't put dynamic lights on everything, and use that alpha layer to let us define colors, not accent lighting.

Right, but even if they are good maps, we are still left with all gray, framerate issues, and disorientation. I'm just not a fan.

Is it best to post like this? I don't want to post too much...

kylej

Banned
Gabo´s Palace said:
Webcam.jpg

Steaks, steaks everywhere.

Farmers everywhere must've started sweating when Bungie said they'd give out steaks every time they lost a game of Halo. There aren't enough cows in the world to keep that much of a supply going.

Butane123

GhaleonEB said:
Without altering the layout too much, that area would be improved by either 1) making the wall to the room a window or 2) adding a second doorway at the top of the stairs. Either make players inside more vulnerable, or more visible.
I think the best thing for that area would be to completely wall off that room, and then make the gold lift exit be in the little nook across from the staircase.

Hey You

Hydranockz said:
Splitscreeners =/= guests.

As much as I would love to have a 2nd 360/tv/disc it ain't a viable option at the moment. Having said that, there is no way to play Reach in a semi-comptitive way and play in any way decently with the shockingly terrible draw distances for 3-4 players on one tv. I notice it a fair bit with just 2 of us.
Yeah, I just realized that.

From the 'which game franchise has the worst fans' thread:
FJ0372 said:
Halo fans, a lot of them seem to complain about every change aswell, if it was up to them, I think every Halo game would be Halo:ce.

Guys I see the error of my ways. All change is good! I no longer hate bloom, its change, fuck yeah add double bloom to Halo 4 please.

SMH - I dont understand how people cant comprehend that Halo fans bitch about the changes to the gameplay because they are bad changes, not simply just because they are changes. Im pretty sure that people praise the new stuff thats actually fun.

Ramirez said:
Well, the end goal sucks.

Sadly I agree, I knew from Halo 3 thats as good as Forge maps could be they paled* in comparison to proper maps. So this oversaturation of Forge maps is really annoying me, it just means the 'proper' maps dont show up in rotation as much.

* - When I say paled I dont really know if I can justify myself. Some of these maps play really well, but I just cant handle so much of the aesthetic I think.

Mojo said:
Honestly, if they gave me the choice between the entire Forge feature and levels or another 4 original maps on disc, I'd choose the latter

Same. Forge is great, but when Forge means that we get less disc maps and that MM now has a hundred or so forged maps in it, I would much rather have the real maps.

GhaleonEB said:
Yup. You can design a fantastic playing map, and then drop jetpacks into it and it's horrible. Jetpacks are fine on many maps - they make Sword Base better, I think - but they shouldn't be applied to all.

I don't think Sword Base can be played without a jetpack lol.

Plywood said:
Lucy Pinder hates Armor Lock now in video form, much better than the gif.
I lol'd at the 'Welcome to Reach' at the end.

Don't mean to start another Armor lock rage/argument, but I don't see how Bungie can see a video like that and not see how utterly broken/just plain awful armor lock is.

feel

Good stuff plywood!! :lol :lol

And powers that be please make Forge in halo 4 an empty canvas with a few different themes for background and objects, don't shove any map made in it in matchmaking, make a complete set of maps set in random, beautiful, new intriguing locations like bungie used to prior to Reach. Oh, don't just let any unqualified intern design maps, have professionals do it, after making them study every classic map from the original trilogy for inspiration. About 6 months later introduce a community playlist where people can play the best maps that people have come up with, and only let the particularly spectacular and universally praised ones slowly trickle into regular matchmaking. Reach's aproach to mp maps is a completely embarassing disaster. Good gameplay that feels adicting like the old games would be nice too.

kylej said:
Farmers everywhere must've started sweating when Bungie said they'd give out steaks every time they lost a game of Halo. There aren't enough cows in the world to keep that much of a supply going.
Lololol thanks for the laugh.

BTB is an abomination in Reach, I won't touch it with a bargepole.

If you stick to Squad, Premium Slayer/Battle, Snipes and multi team (rockethog race excluded) Reach is a blast. Mostly good maps in these playlists. Has anyone played headhunter in Multi team lately? I'm pretty sure you can't get a skulltacular anymore which vastly improves the experience, plus it's the only multiteam option with DMR starts :)

As for Swordbase, I've said before that a way to really open up the map and promote flow would be to remove the large window from the potted plant room (the room adjacent to top red lift). It's probably quite doable too seeing as they removed shield doors from Epitaph and Snowbound in Halo 3, it's not like they'd have to completely re-render the map.

Havok

Devin Olsen said:
Fuck me, Reach is bad.
Team Classic - AKA ARs on midship.
It honestly upsets me how good the Team Classic playlist could be, yet they fuck it up by making it AR start with the occasional game type having needle rifle start.
THERE IS NOTHING CLASSIC ABOUT THE NEEDLE RIFLE, GET RID OF IT.
:(
Just make the playlist DMR start with pistol secondary. Or worst case DMR and AR.
If your primary problem with Classic is the Needle Rifle (which is not what you said, I know, I'm just using it as a point of discussion) and not the ridiculous power of the AR and grenades, we have a bigger issue on our hands. I'd rather see a DMR/NR start than any ARs in that playlist as it currently stands.

Unrelated: Put the best Classic maps in Objective, profit with no work, as long as crap like Jetpack and Evade aren't in those loadouts.

Armor lock sucks because of the waiting. It would be fine if it was just used to block in short bursts, as it was in that video. 6 seconds is an eternity in Halo.

thee henery said:
BTB is an abomination in Reach, I won't touch it with a bargepole.

If you stick to Squad, Premium Slayer/Battle, Snipes and multi team (rockethog race excluded) Reach is a blast. Mostly good maps in these playlists. Has anyone played headhunter in Multi team lately? I'm pretty sure you can't get a skulltacular anymore which vastly improves the experience, plus it's the only multiteam option with DMR starts :)

As for Swordbase, I've said before that a way to really open up the map and promote flow would be to remove the large window from the potted plant room (the room adjacent to top red lift). It's probably quite doable too seeing as they removed shield doors from Epitaph and Snowbound in Halo 3, it's not like they'd have to completely re-render the map.
Shield doors in anchor 9 are forge pieces. The glass is sword base is part of the map. AKA no chance for glassless map. (I could be wrong)

Devin Olsen said:
Shield doors in anchor 9 are forge pieces. The glass is sword base is part of the map. AKA no chance for glassless map. (I could be wrong)

Yea, you're probably right, it just sounded more reasonable than completely removing a wall from gold lift like others suggested (not that that would be a bad thing, it just seems more drastic than removing a pane of glass).

thee henery said:
Yea, you're probably right, it just sounded more reasonable than completely removing a wall from gold lift like others suggested (not that that would be a bad thing, it just seems more drastic than removing a pane of glass).

Oh wow I hope you didnt think thats what I was suggesting when I mentioned it lol! I was just saying it would play better without the wall, its not actually possible for the map to ever be edited though, thats pretty clear.

EDIT: Misread sorry, yeah I agree with you, as much as the ideas are implausable they really would have been good if they were used when the maps were first being made. Who really though giving a lift exit its own tiny room was a good idea? Its like Bungie played Construct and brainstormed on how to make the situation even more camper friendly.

At this stage I can honestly picture round table meetings where Sage and co brainstormed on how to troll the Halo community.

bobs99 ... said:
Oh wow I hope you didnt think thats what I was suggesting when I mentioned it lol! I was just saying it would play better without the wall, its not actually possible for the map to ever be edited though, thats pretty clear.

Of course! We're allowed to dream here lol

thee henery said:
Of course! We're allowed to dream here lol

Haha sorry wrong end of the stick.

To be honest, if I had the ability to edit Sword Base and put the new version into matchmaking, I would simply go EDIT> Delete All and then copy in The Pit in the space thats left. Making small alterations to Sword Base probably wouldn't help in the long term lol!

Plywood that video is amazing lol, I laughed out loud at the 'Welcome to Reach' bit at the end with the triumphant music.

bobs99 ... said:
Haha sorry wrong end of the stick.

To be honest, if I had the ability to edit Sword Base and put the new version into matchmaking, I would simply go EDIT> Delete All and then copy in The Pit in the space thats left. Making small alterations to Sword Base probably wouldn't help in the long term lol!

Yea the Pit was great man. To be fair to Swordbase, it's a victim of the weapon set on the map; it's a definate improvement to see the sniper back on the map but still having sword and shotgun in the mix is too conducive to gold lift abuse. They could partially remedy this by removing sword and only having 6 rounds in the shotty. Countdown is another map saturated with over powered cqc weapons and it leads to boring, repetitive gameplay.

Ramirez

Havok said:
If your primary problem with Classic is the Needle Rifle (which is not what you said, I know, I'm just using it as a point of discussion) and not the ridiculous power of the AR and grenades, we have a bigger issue on our hands. I'd rather see a DMR/NR start than any ARs in that playlist as it currently stands.

Unrelated: Put the best Classic maps in Objective, profit with no work, as long as crap like Jetpack and Evade aren't in those loadouts.

Dani told us that TO has the most guests per playlist, so you won't be seeing any FW maps due to performance. Thanks splitscreeners!

Close quarters combat in Reach was ruined by the melee system and armor abilities. For me, sprint with a shotgun/sword/hammer is just as bad as people camping the gold lift in Sword Base. And nothing more needs to be said about Armor Lock. CQC might as well not exist in Reach. The melee system actually discourages people from using melee because 9 out of 10 times the shield is not down and encounters turn into who is more fortunate to get the 2nd melee hit in.

Plywood said:
Shhhh, different game. >_>

Actually two different clips I got from youtube rather.
Bet you thought everyone would be too focused on the hot chick and rage inducing armor lock to notice.

NOPE.

HiredN00bs said:
Armor lock sucks because of the waiting. It would be fine if it was just used to block in short bursts, as it was in that video. 6 seconds is an eternity in Halo.
What? No. Even just momentary invincibility is too much.

If you put yourself in a disadvantageous position then you deserve to die.

MrBig

That better not become another terrible GAF meme that overruns the forum until it gets run into the ground and banned
Please stop it now.

Blinding

Barrow Roll said:
Bet you thought everyone would be too focused on the hot chick and rage inducing armor lock to notice.

She's not even that high up there in regards to attractive models.

Anyone up for some Halo tonight, in like a couple hours?

Tawpgun

MrBig said:
Give us Team Tactical. AA's as pick ups defined by the map maker for what they feel is right, and sprint as the only starting AA.

All I want. In my matchmaking. Is a gametype... where lives are limited.

EDIT: And yes, Blinding.

Havok

Ramirez said:
Dani told us that TO has the most guests per playlist, so you won't be seeing any FW maps due to performance. Thanks splitscreeners!
Would anybody really care if max local players was brought down to two in TO (which would allow Classic maps)? Given how miserable the object draw distance is with even just two players, I can't imagine playing with four. I understand that they have to cater to the group of people that likes to screw around with their buddies once every few weeks, but not to the point that it detracts from the experience of the power users, who support their game throughout the year instead of jumping from blockbuster to blockbuster.
Deputy Moonman said:
For me, sprint with a shotgun/sword/hammer is just as bad as people camping the gold lift in Sword Base.
Replace sprint with evade in this sentence and you have the real problem. At least sprint is a consistent speed and doesn't let them roll behind you instantaneously.

Havok said:
Would anybody really care if max local players was brought down to two in TO (which would allow Classic maps)? Given how miserable the object draw distance is with even just two players, I can't imagine playing with four. I understand that they have to cater to the group of people that likes to screw around with their buddies once every few weeks, but not to the point that it detracts from the experience of the power users, who support their game throughout the year instead of jumping from blockbuster to blockbuster.

The playlists that cater to 4 people should be as silly/non-competitive as possible. 4 players simply CANNOT play well on one box. So I totally agree.

Plywood said:
"Great body, shame about the face."
CZD0e.gif

Meh Victorious is hotter.

:p

Would anybody really care if max local players was brought down to two in TO (which would allow Classic maps)?

I hate myself for saying this, but I guess allowing people to have 4 players on one screen for objective kinda makes sense. I mean it would allow for them to all communicate and so on.

Then again, who would really play like that!?? It unlikely that anyone who is playing with 4 people on one screen is taking it seriously.

bobs99 ... said:
Then again, who would really play like that!?? It unlikely that anyone who is playing with 4 people on one screen is taking it seriously.
I should grab 4 controllers and show you what is drawn with that many players. On top of the base in Haemorrhage, for example, a player will see a long rectangle instead of a sniper unless they scope in. They see headlights floating of their own accord unless they scope in...

It's really bad :/

Hydranockz said:
I should grab 4 controllers and show you what is drawn with that many players. On top of the base in Haemorrhage, for example, a player will see a long rectangle instead of a sniper unless they scope in. They see headlights floating of their own accord unless they scope in...

It's really bad :/

Haha yeah I remember playing split screen and that happened, but draw issues aside when you have 4 dudes sharing a tv, even if things rendered properly, its not like your gonna be taking the game seriously. I just dont think 4 player split screen justifies not having classic maps in more playlists.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Blinding said:
Pretty sure she's not known for her attractiveness, just saying.
Breast can be attractive.

Ugh, get matched with a guy and his three guest that's my squad slayer party! Trueskill at work here!

And all they do is Jetpack on Countdown.

Top Bottom