• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

Hydranockz said:
13 games in a row of pure awesome Reach with a damn good team and absolutely no shortage of laughter, right, over?
We should stop with that over thing, over. But that were some awesome games, over. I noticed that we steaked the enemy 12 times, over.

I hope I'll get my SwagBag this week, over.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
KyleJ,
Great body, shame about the face.
CZD0e.gif

Letters said:
A month, wow.

I just recently got a part-time job so I've had a nice flow of money recently. Which brings me to my question: Is the Defiant Map Pack worth the money? I think it may be the only thing that can get me back into Halo Reach, so I'm thinking about buying it and giving Reach another go.

So, yay or nay?

Edit: I already have the Noble Map Pack, Yeti, and thanks for the opinion. Haven't drawn a conclusion just yet, but I'm closer to the edge, so to speak.

Playing alone sucks. Any parties going?

@Pringles: Yay, definitely. It's the best map pack out for Reach right now. But in order to fully experience it in MM, you will have to bite on the Noble pack too of you haven't already.

Im_So_Pringles said:
I just recently got a part-time job so I've had a nice flow of money recently. Which brings me to my question: Is the Defiant Map Pack worth the money? I think it may be the only thing that can get me back into Halo Reach, so I'm thinking about buying it and giving Reach another go.

So, yay or nay?
Condemned is a really solid map, I find. I think it plays really well. Highlands has its problems but it is a gorgeous looking map and can be quite a good map when played with DMR starts. Unearthed quickly moved up to one of my favourite FF maps as you can turtle in by the ammo boxes if you want but, should you feel daring, you can branch out and hold your own in the surrounding structures. Just my two cents.

feel

Alienshogun said:
Tashi got banned? lol for what?
Not sure, from what I gathered from the thread where he and a bunch of others got banned and their posts deleted, there's some unwritten gaf rule where you can't mention Liam Neeson in a topic about Taken (the Spielberg mini-series).

Plywood said:
One person said Liam Neeson and then around 30 people chimed in with the same thing, which made it a giant derail which is why I'm sure everyone got banned as a result.
Oh, makes sense.

ZalinKrow

Highest Halo 3 level and which playlist.
43 in Team Slayer.

AR or BR?
BR definitely. I've never been one for the AR really.

Favorite multiplayer map from Halo 2 and 3 (one of each).
Headlong from H2 (didn't have Live back then but had great system link games) and probably The Pit from H3. Map was just so good.

Do you prefer BTB or MLG?
BTB, haven't played much MLG.

Competitive multiplayer or Firefight?
Competitive multiplayer, provided I have people to go into matchmaking with. I can't stand playing with only randoms, if I'm alone Firefight wins everytime.

Games completed on Legendary.
Halo 3, ODST and Reach.

Are you EazyB?
Nope. Although in matchmaking we did come across a guy with EasyP in his gamertag tonight. We joked about it :p

Favorite Campaign missions (all games).
Silent Cartographer, Delta Halo, Tsavo Highway and New Alexandria.

Favorite Reach playlists.
The Premium playlists are really good. Squad Slayer is also pretty cool. I think with the right team any playlist can be fun enough though.

Size of frankie erotica folder (in megabytes).
There'll never be enough space.

Opinion on reticule bloom.
I adapted to it. It can get a bit irrirating, sure. But I don't really complain about it. I still enjoy using the DMR.

Opinion on Armor Abilities and the one you favor.
I don't really hate any. I can deal with armour lock, but when entire teams use it it can be quite testing :p Ever since Squad Slayer I started using active camo. I use Hologram too depending on the map. (Almost nothing is funnier than fooling people over and over with that).

Why are you a Halo fan?
Halo is what made me get an Xbox in the first place. I didn't really care whether I liked the other games on the console or not, it seemed worth it. I really enjoy the Halo universe itself. The environments are amazing. I've always been mainly into the multiplayer though. I just don't think I've enjoyed playing any other game with friends more than the Halo games.

Favorite Halogaffer, and least favorite. (optional)
I've lurked for quite a while, but I don't really have any favourites or least favourites. I've really enjoyed all of the times I've gotten to play with guys on here though. It's always so hilarious (dj ZOOOOOZ)

Now feel free to introduce yourself and/or share anything you want so we get to know you better, we'd love to read it. (optional)
I'm not too sure what to say. I've gotten to play with a bunch of you guys before because Hydranockz is my brother. It feels damn good to finally be able to post here though. I don't even remember how long ago it was I registered to join. So glad I can stop telling people I'm waiting to be accepted now haha. I think if I do post it'll just be in here for now. People seem to be getting banned left, right and centre lately so I'd best be careful heh (Thought I'd have more to say when it got to the introduction, guess I don't :p)

ElRenoRaven

A27_StarWolf said:
Is this for real?

Good question.

Letters said:
Not sure, from what I gathered from the thread where he and a bunch of others got banned and their posts deleted, there's some unwritten gaf rule where you can't mention Liam Neeson in a topic about Taken (the Spielberg mini-series).

Really?

Remember when I said the Banshee flip was my second least favorite thing about Reach? Hahaha, good times.

I was wrong. Fucking Elite Slayer is the worst. I mean it. Fuckity fuck that gametype.

It's everything infuriating about Reach (Evade, Armor Lock/Plasma Grenades, sword blocking, inferior Covenant weapons) rolled into one tightly wound package of fail.

This is tamer than what I originally typed.
The word sodomy was used.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
PsychoRaven said:
One person said Liam Neeson and then around 30 people chimed in with the same thing, which made it a giant derail which is why I'm sure everyone got banned as a result.
Hitmonchan107 said:
Remember when I said the Banshee flip was my second least favorite thing about Reach? Hahaha, good times.

I was wrong. Fucking Elite Slayer is the worst. I mean it. Fuckity fuck that gametype.

It's everything infuriating about Reach (Evade, Armor Lock/Plasma Grenades, sword blocking, inferior Covenant weapons) rolled into one tightly wound package of fail.

It really needed it's own playlist already.

FyreWulff

I wish we had at least one playlist where the Elite / Spartan player preference actually had an effect.

If it's up to 343 to release the Community Race playlist now, it'd make sense to not force Spartans in that variant..

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Letters said:

Oh, makes sense.

Yeah, it's confusing.

Still, wtf was the "meaning" of just liam neeson?

Tunavi

Banned
Plywood said:
One guy was being a HUGE dick to the OP about the thread via PM's. It probably pissed off DuckRoll enough to ban everyone involved with the thread.

senador

Banned
FyreWulff said:
If it's up to 343 to release the Community Race playlist now, it'd make sense to not force Spartans in that variant..
Do want. I played a pretty awesome track on Tempest. It'd be a fun way to dork around.

At first I read 'Community Race' as Spartans and Elites you know, like race. Then I was like "ooooohhh".

Domino Theory said:
I'm about to hop on.
I was about to myself, but I heard there is a Zombie night going on downtown tonight. So I had a thought... go hang out with all of my friends with my wife and be zombies on a zombie walk downtown, orrrr play zombies online?

GhaleonEB

I dislike the credit cap. I get why it's there, but it's frustrating to run into it on a weekend when my family is away and I had a lot of time to play Halo.

FyreWulff

senador said:
Do want. I played a pretty awesome track on Tempest. It'd be a fun way to dork around.

At first I read 'Community Race' as Spartans and Elites you know, like race. Then I was like "ooooohhh".

Elites are always awesome. Brofist.

respekknuckles.jpg

Booshka

GhaleonEB said:
I dislike the credit cap. I get why it's there, but it's frustrating to run into it on a weekend when my family is away and I had a lot of time to play Halo.
Apparently, if you change your console's time to a region of the world that is in the next day, you can bypass the credit limit. I assume a portion of the high rank players know this trick.

Ramirez

Let this be a lesson, the rest of GAF really isn't worth venturing out to.

unless it involves GAF sports leagues

Nuts, where did you go?

Anyone still on for customs?

Edit: I see one customs game but it's full. So if anyone wants to try and get another customs going or do some MM join me.

GT Devin Olsen

Hitmonchan107 said:

Couldn't agree more in regards to Elite Slayer. It's so bad, and gets voted for all the time. I genuinely don't understand the appeal.

It's different enough that it really should have it's own playlist, in which you could have elite slayer, elite ctf, elite oddball, etc.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Ramirez said:
Let this be a lesson, the rest of GAF really isn't worth venturing out to.

unless it involves GAF sports leagues

Nuts, where did you go?
Nonsense if it wasn't for the rest of OT, I would've never been able to make this:

lucy-armorlock-0ajumn.gif

I never got to do this when I joined so ill go for it.

Highest Halo 3 level and which playlist.
45 in MLG

AR or BR?
BR

Favorite multiplayer map from Halo 2 and 3 (one of each).
H2: Lockout
H3: The Pit

Do you prefer BTB or MLG?
MLG. Love it.

Competitive multiplayer or Firefight?
Competitive multiplayer, firefight got boring quick.

Games completed on Legendary.
Halo 2, Halo 3, ODST and Reach.

Are you EazyB?
No.

Favorite Campaign missions (all games).
The Maw, Delta Halo, The Covenant and The Pillar of Autumn.

Favorite Reach playlists.
MLG

Size of frankie erotica folder (in megabytes).

Opinion on reticule bloom.
Like it but needs to be tweaked for mid and long ranges.

Opinion on Armor Abilities and the one you favor.
Like most of them but evade is my favorite.

Why are you a Halo fan?
Halo 2 got me into online gaming and it was some of the most fun I ever had playing games. The rest is history.

Ramirez

Weird thing to ask probably, but will Halofest have any meet, greet, and signings like Bungie did in 08? (they might have done it the other years,I dunno) I'd like to add to my wall of Halo pics with signatures.

Also, 343's first order of business should be to remove all of the terrible Forge maps from Team Slayer, put them back in Community Slayer.

FyreWulff

Ramirez said:
Weird thing to ask probably, but will Halofest have any meet, greet, and signings like Bungie did in 08? (they might have done it the other years,I dunno) I'd like to add to my wall of Halo pics with signatures.

Also, 343's first order of business should be to remove all of the terrible Forge maps from Team Slayer, put them back in Community Slayer.

The end goal was always community maps in mainstream matchmaking.

We really don't need 7 Slayer-only playlists..

Striker

Team Slayer should be Community playlist anyway. Make it maybe include CTF, Assault, Oddball and KotH while you're at it. Allow some other community maps in for some skirmish action.

Community Series or Community Grab Bag, whatever name you want to call it. I would make it 4v4 with Slayer, Slayer DMRs, Multi-CTF, 1-flag, Multi-Bomb, 1-bomb, Neutral Bomb, Oddball, and KotH. If whoever from 343 is running it, allow them to use CC, Blueprint, or whoever and rotate maps; if there are a good selection, keep those in and throw out the ones getting negative feedback. And so forth.

FyreWulff

That's what Team Slayer is. Hence the reason why it's limited to 2 way split. I don't know why you'd include objective in Team Slayer though. Even the presence of Objective as a voting option has a significant negative effect on playlist population.

If you want to play Slayer on disc and DLC maps only, Squad Slayer is your destination. Squad Slayer is intended as the 4-way-split compatible version of Team Slayer which means no Community maps.

The reason they stopped doing "Community _____" was that they had limited time left with the game, so they focused on getting community maps directly into permanent matchmaking instead of wasting time doing the Community playlist round and then the permanent integration round.

Grab Bag pretty much sounds like Action Sack.

I'd like it if 343 continues anything involving community content but I haven't heard even a whisper from 343 on if they're continuing the CC program.

tl;dr Think of Team Slayer as Community Slayer (Social experience on Community and disc maps), Squad Slayer is where you go for the "official" experience with max party size set to Team Size and Big Party Restrictions are on.

Striker

FyreWulff said:
That's what Team Slayer is. Hence the reason why it's limited to 2 way split. I don't know why you'd include objective in Team Slayer though. Even the presence of Objective as a voting option has a significant negative effect on playlist population.

If you want to play Slayer on disc and DLC maps only, Squad Slayer is your destination. Squad Slayer is intended as the 4-way-split compatible version of Team Slayer which means no Community maps.

Grab Bag pretty much sounds like Action Sack.

I'd like it if 343 continues anything involving community content but I haven't heard even a whisper from 343 on if they're continuing the CC program.
Team Slayer max local set at 2, and it would be kept the same if rearranged. What's wrong with having CTF on Kingdom, Neutral Assault on Synapse, or anything similar on Select? I doubt having flag or bomb would kill the population in a community playlist. It didn't hurt BTB when it went from 90% Slayer to 90% Assault and Flag. Both Premium playlists get the same amount of people each day seemingly.

The Grab Bag term just means mixed, or variety.

Also you still find a ton of games on Swordbase, Zealot, Countdown, and the disc maps in there. It will would've been nice to have a preview picture for the community maps themselves, rather than the default Forge World photo.

You said yourself we don't need so many straight-slayer playlists.

Top Bottom