• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT4| This Thread is Not Your Grave, But You Are Welcome In It

FyreWulff

Well you couldn't call it Team Slayer anymore, because it'd have Objective in it.

I think your best bet for objectives on Community Maps is just either a Community Objective list or certain gametypes on those maps in Action Sack (Hot Potato, Speedflag, Speedpile, etc). Or if they're big enough, show up as objective maps in BTB. They aren't going to put any of the existing community maps in Team Objective because it has the highest ratio of players on 4 player splitscreen to total population, and community map makers refuse to stay at or under the object count and performance bar of Asylum :p

Striker

FyreWulff said:
I think your best bet for objectives on Community Maps is just either a Community Objective list or certain gametypes on those maps in Action Sack (Hot Potato, Speedflag, Speedpile, etc).
Gross.
Or if they're big enough, show up as objective maps in BTB. They aren't going to put any of the existing community maps in Team Objective because it has the highest ratio of players on 4 player splitscreen to total population, and community map makers refuse to stay at or under the object count and performance bar of Asylum :p
I'm not saying put them in Team Objective, because I'm near certain they will never change that stipulation.

A Community playlist -- name it Community Grab Bag or whatever it can be, replacing Team Slayer for all community maps and future community maps they can rotate in and out if need be, with Slayer and a handful of skirmish gametypes. The ones in Team Slayer, Arena, and Doubles already have a 2-max local standard to them, therefore they would have no issue in flag or bomb. This would both knock down the number of straight slayer playlists, and would welcome a playlist that concedes both slayer and objective. To note, there's just one playlist that uses both default Reach settings and slayer/ctf/assault (BTB). Classic and MLG do as well but they're different setups.

FyreWulff

Yeah, honestly I'd prefer a Community Grab Bag over a solely-focused Community list (ie just Community Slayer or Community Objective), but be prepared for it to have a decent population but not a great one. This assumes that 343 is actually going to do anything Community-related and doesn't have their efforts already focused on Halo 4 development as soon as the CEA DLC drops. Hopefully they do.

I don't think you will ever see Team Slayer removed as that is pretty much a brand name for Halo and will always exist in a Halo game. We've had a Team Slayer since the third week of Halo 2 and there will be a Team Slayer in Halo 4. People recognize it instantly as "go here and you only have to shoot things and not worry about objectives at all"

Tawpgun

I'd be all for TS being removed because Squad Slayer is a better playlist in every single way.

and for my objective fix i'm going to wait for the July update so i can get my DMR starts in objective and finally have fun in that playlist.

One thing regarding Halo 3, Reach, and playlist player count.... Remember in Halo 3 that if you went into social slayer or any playlist with a party of less the max amount, so say you went into social slayer with a party of 4 instead of 5. A lot of the times the game would match you with 4 players. Why doesn't this happen anymore in Reach?

FyreWulff

Reach still does that. It puts more effort into getting full games though. I've definitely played a 3v3 in a 4v4 playlist recently a couple of times recently.

At least it wasn't like Halo 2, which would happily match at party of 6-7 versus a party of 8 and not even try to fill out the last slot with a pubbie or two.

fakeedit: it is playlist dependent though. Both Halo 3 and Reach have different settings they can apply to individual playlists. They can force it to wait for full teams to be collected or they can let it just match two same-sized parties together and let the game go to voting. They can also toggle the allowance of party splitting on or off separately.

When I first played on Utopie I thought hey this is much better than Paradiso! but then I played the match.
When the match finished I was so full of rage... I didn't even know why I didn't quit.
The match turned into a 15 minute slayer with the entire blue team surrounding our base, camping the teleport and the mountain and controlling the banshee the whole match.

This unrendered short video sums up pretty well the whole match.

Also: get rid of Hemorrhage for BTB.

Gui_PT

Gabo´s Palace said:
When I first played on Utopie I thought hey this is much better than Paradiso! but then I played the match.
When the match finished I was so full of rage... I didn't even know why I didn't quit.
The match turned into a 15 minute slayer with the entire blue team surrounding our base, camping the teleport and the mountain and controlling the banshee the whole match.

This unrendered short video sums up pretty well the whole match.

Also: get rid of Hemorrhage for BTB.

Wow. You weren't like this before you joined GAF =(

Striker

A27 Tawpgun said:
and for my objective fix i'm going to wait for the July update so i can get my DMR starts in objective and finally have fun in that playlist.
The playlist would be better now if they allowed in more maps (won't happen) and removed Evade (hasn't been mentioned). If Evade is still in there come the July update, it won't matter if you got DMR starts, in maps like Reflection, Countdown, and Zealot the Sword with Evade wil [still]l be broken. Evade needs out first and foremost. Plus they're adding 3 Flag, CTF Slayer, and Speedpile/flag. Not really improving anything, but making another playlist less desirable to play.

Shamelessly copied from HBO, but I'll put it up for discussion here.

Would you object to 5 maps for 1200msp?

I was recently thinking about this and given reaches multitude of modes, do you think it's about time we were offered more maps per pack or are you happy with the traditional 3 maps per pack?

5 maps would provide 343 and the players greater leeway when it comes to the selection on offer, i mean the selection of maps in 5 pack basis would allow greater flexibility, for example:

3 small maps, 2 BTB maps
2 small maps, 1 BTB map, 1 invasion only map, 1 FF map
Or even going the COD route and having 4 competitive maps, and 1 FF map etc.

The flexibility on offer is leaps and bounds over the 3 pack model.

In terms of the negative aspect of this, i guess the price is one and the fact that you may have to wait longer for them to churn out the map packs in the first place.

Would you want and be willing to pay for 5 maps per pack?

MrBig

ElzarTheBam said:

I was recently thinking about this and given reaches multitude of modes, do you think it's about time we were offered more maps per pack or are you happy with the traditional 3 maps per pack?

5 maps would provide 343 and the players greater leeway when it comes to the selection on offer, i mean the selection of maps in 5 pack basis would allow greater flexibility, for example:

3 small maps, 2 BTB maps

In terms of the negative aspect of this, i guess the price is one and the fact that you may have to wait longer for them to churn out the map packs in the first place.

We're basically getting 7 maps in the next pack for 1600 msp ($20, half the price of CEA) and it is exceedingly likely that will be the last map pack. That already puts the count up there with the other games and then H4 comes out almost exactly a year later.

ElzarTheBam said:

3 small maps, 2 BTB maps

The only game I played online is Reach. Even Halo: Reach has his problems, it is still better than CoD:MW2 or BF:BC2. Both titles are still great, but they aren't that fun compared to Reach. So I'll be willing to pay 1200MSP. Btw. 1200MSP for 5maps(1map=200MSP) is a better ratio than 800MSP for 3maps(1map=266,66MSP). :p

CyReN

ElzarTheBam said:

3 small maps, 2 BTB maps

I'd pay $20 just for 1 good map.

Not trying to be a ass but H1/H2/H3 have memorable maps, the only one I can think of that's decent is maybe Countdown and that's a big maybe. I really hope the Halo:CEA can help change that for me.

CyReN said:
I'd pay $20 just for 1 good map.

Not trying to be a ass but H1/H2/H3 have memorable maps, the only one I can think of that's decent is maybe Countdown and that's a big maybe. I really hope the Halo:CEA can help change that for me.

I think everyone will agree with you in saying that Reach has the poorest selection of stock maps on offer. Countdown and Powerhouse being the only good one's that shipped with game IMO.
However, I play premium battle the most, and selection on offer there are quickly becoming some of my favorites since halo 2 BTB.

Tawpgun

Reach will probably be the first Halo game from where people don't want any remakes from.... Kinda sad.

I do have mixed feelings about Highlands though. In BTB customs I loved the map. But I don't get to play it in matchmaking... The weapon placement is a bit meh, but I love the layout.

Tunavi

Banned
A27 Tawpgun said:
Reach will probably be the first Halo game from where people don't want any remakes from.... Kinda sad.

I do have mixed feelings about Highlands though. In BTB customs I loved the map. But I don't get to play it in matchmaking... The weapon placement is a bit meh, but I love the layout.
We need a Premium Big Team playlist for Slayer and objective. 8v8. Highlands, Breakpoint, Condemned, Tempest, Boardwalk, and Countdown. Slayer and Objective.

A27 Tawpgun said:

If they remade any of the Reach maps in Halo 4 I would be pissed. Even the 'good' Reach maps suck in comparison to what they should be. I will say that with each DLC the map quality has been improving, but no way would I ever want to touch a disk map ever again once I move on from Reach.

As for the 1200 MS points for 5 maps, im not sure, if they worked equally hard on all of them maybe but I would rather just have 3 maps that they made more effort in to be honest.

Striker

A27 Tawpgun said:
Similar situation for me as it was since Halo 3.

No real memorable ones, but a solid count. Highlands and Anchor 9 are two I would surely welcome back. But these past two games, there were just no serious standouts to me.

For example, I liked Standoff the most in 3, and it had terrible spawning issues, the Laser in the center which forecasted the game itself, and the bases were fairly lackluster.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Plywood said:
Nonsense if it wasn't for the rest of OT, I would've never been able to make this:

lucy-armorlock-0ajumn.gif
Quoting myself for new page, this gif took way to long and I still had to cut frames.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Letters said:
"I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you"

But why is that significant to that thread? From what I can gather, it's just a show with about families and alien abductions.

Bah, it doesn't matter.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Alienshogun said:
But why is that significant to that thread? From what I can gather, it's just a show with about families and alien abductions.

Bah, it doesn't matter.
Meus made a thread about Steven Spielberg's Taken apparently someone sent harsh PM messages to him about the thread and everyone in the thread kept saying "Liam Neeson." cause he starred in the movie Taken, so duckroll slaughtered everyone for derailing I'm assuming. Upwards of 20 people were banned.

Kuroyume

Banned
I would like to see a Swordbase, Powerhouse, Tempest, or Highlands remake in Halo 4. Actually, I like most of the Reach maps with the exception of the ones that came from Forge and the ones made for BTB/Invasion.

senador

Banned
I hate playing on Community/Forge maps. I wanted more at first since the Reach map count was low, but they suck to play on*. I appreciate the effort by the map makers, I know you've spent a lot of time on your maps, but in the end they suck to play on*. Forge maps are bland, disorienting, boring, confusing, have bad framerate, and have bad spawns. They just aren't a good thing for serious play, and just end in frustration.

The guys at Bungie know how to design and balance maps (let's leave it at that please), the community doesn't. While some of the community is pretty good at this, I don't think their maps should be alongside Bungie made ones, it makes for an inconsistent experience. It seems like the only people that want community maps are the ones making them. Again, I appreciate the effort, but that's not what I myself want. None of those maps even stand out positively for me. The few Forge maps I do have fun on are Bungie made: Asylum, Cliffhanger, and sometimes Uncaged.

I think Forge is great for weapon placement and map tweaks, messing around, maps for quirky gametypes, and exploring maps. I think 343 needs a dedicated team for Forge, or to cut it.

Once more, to the map makers, I'm sorry. Its not really your fault since the tools still need to be better, but also the vast majority of you aren't multiplayer map designers.

At this point for me, anything that may intrude on multiplayer balancing and map creations should itself be cut or scaled back.

Edit: I think the only map I'd really want back in the future would be Powerhouse.

*For me at least, but surely for many others too.

senador said:
I hate playing on Community/Forge maps. I wanted more at first since the Reach map count was low, but they suck to play on*. I appreciate the effort by the map makers, I know you've spent a lot of time on your maps, but in the end they suck to play on*. Forge maps are bland, disorienting, boring, confusing, have bad framerate, and have bad spawns. They just aren't a good thing for serious play, and just end in frustration.

The guys at Bungie know how to design and balance maps (let's leave it at that please), the community doesn't. While some of the community is pretty good at this, I don't think their maps should be alongside Bungie made ones, it makes for an inconsistent experience. It seems like the only people that want community maps are the ones making them. Again, I appreciate the effort, but that's not what I myself want. None of those maps even stand out positively for me. The few Forge maps I do have fun on are Bungie made: Asylum, Cliffhanger, and sometimes Uncaged.

I think Forge is great for weapon placement and map tweaks, messing around, maps for quirky gametypes, and exploring maps. I think 343 needs a dedicated team for Forge, or to cut it.

Once more, to the map makers, I'm sorry. Its not really your fault since the tools still need to be better, but also the vast majority of you aren't multiplayer map designers.

At this point for me, anything that may intrude on multiplayer balancing and map creations should itself be cut or scaled back.

Edit: I think the only map I'd really want back in the future would be Powerhouse.

*For me at least, but surely for many others too.
I understand your hate but without forge maps the BTB playlist would be even worse, Wayont, Trident and Mt. Lam Lam are some of the best BTB maps right now.
Utopie and Hemorrhage... don't think so.

Recarpo

I don't mind the community made maps for the most part. Some of them are actually pretty solid and add a solid map to the rotation. The only problem I have with community maps in Reach is the performance issues that some of them have. It's near impossible to zoom in with a sniper in some areas of those maps because of the huge frame drop.

GhaleonEB

Gabo´s Palace said:
I understand your hate but without forge maps the BTB playlist would be even worse, Wayont, Trident and Mt. Lam Lam are some of the best BTB maps right now.

Utopie and Hemorrhage... don't think so.
Paridso, Hemhorrage, Boneyard and Spire set the bar rather low for BTB maps. I dislike many of the Forge variants, but they are often improvements over the shipping set.

Just wanted to reiterate how I hope 343 starts managing playlists on a per-map basis, not just at the game type and playlist level. There are so many maps where I'm like, this would be great if it weren't for X, but X would never be addressed under Jeremiah's playlist approach (today's instance being jetpacks on Reflection).

Giving the Challenges some love would be nice as well. I hope 343 details their Reach upkeep plans shortly after the final Bungie update.

GhaleonEB said:
Paridso, Hemhorrage, Boneyard and Spire set the bar rather low for BTB maps. I dislike many of the Forge variants, but they are often improvements over the shipping set.

Just wanted to reiterate how I hope 343 starts managing playlists on a per-map basis, not just at the game type and playlist level. There are so many maps where I'm like, this would be great if it weren't for X, but X would never be addressed under Jeremiah's playlist approach (today's instance being jetpacks on Reflection).

Giving the Challenges some love would be nice as well. I hope 343 details their Reach upkeep plans shortly after the final Bungie update.
I am really hopeful that these issues get addressed. Thinking back to the new lease of life the TU for Halo 3 gave my experience, the more I look forward to 343's efforts. Not that what we had was terrible, but a change is often very needed.

Hey You

It sucks that we didn't get community maps in TO because of splitscreeners. They don't pay for XBL, so they shouldn't limit the playlist :p

Anyways, playing Flag on community maps was refreshing and enjoyable. It would be nice if we had a decent selection of community maps in TO not just for flag but other gametypes as well. It would be much more enjoyable (for me atleast).

ElzarTheBam said:

3 small maps, 2 BTB maps

Absolutely.

Hey You said:
It sucks that we didn't get community maps in TO because of splitscreeners. They don't pay for XBL, so they shouldn't limit the playlist :p
Splitscreeners =/= guests.

As much as I would love to have a 2nd 360/tv/disc it ain't a viable option at the moment. Having said that, there is no way to play Reach in a semi-comptitive way and play in any way decently with the shockingly terrible draw distances for 3-4 players on one tv. I notice it a fair bit with just 2 of us.

ElzarTheBam said:

3 small maps, 2 BTB maps

I would far prefer 5 maps for 1200 space bucks. Better deal per map and you get more maps.

Kuroyume said:
I would like to see a Swordbase, Powerhouse, Tempest, or Highlands remake in Halo 4. Actually, I like most of the Reach maps with the exception of the ones that came from Forge and the ones made for BTB/Invasion.

If Swordbase is remade in any future Halo game, I will not buy that game.

Off topic: I saw Horrible Bosses yesterday. Very funny film, I recommend.

Swordbase wouldnt be so bad if the Gold Lift room didnt just have a small doorway. That area should be a lot more open in my opinion to the extent that I dont think the wall should be there and Gold lift should really just open out to the top floor of the building. I just generally dont enjoy that map even when people dont camp gold room though, so im not sure its salvageable. :p

I would be quite happy if nothing from Reach made it into Halo 4, I want Halo 4 to go back to the older style of maps, something changed with the high level map design in Reach and I dont like it. Maps should be simplified a little.

Fuck me, Reach is bad.

Team Classic - AKA ARs on midship.

It honestly upsets me how good the Team Classic playlist could be, yet they fuck it up by making it AR start with the occasional game type having needle rifle start.

THERE IS NOTHING CLASSIC ABOUT THE NEEDLE RIFLE, GET RID OF IT.

:(

Just make the playlist DMR start with pistol secondary. Or worst case DMR and AR.

Kujo

Honestly, if they gave me the choice between the entire Forge feature and levels or another 4 original maps on disc, I'd choose the latter

MrBig

Powerhouse is good. I wish I could play it more.

Forge maps are fine as long as they are made well. There are, however, way too many terrible maps, in gameplay, execution, and design, in matchmaking now that make people believe there is no hope for them. That, and its ALL GRAY, not only making them all look the same, but makes people think they are all the same. Not to mention limits creativity. Great system, forge is. But it has a bad palette. If there's going to be another FW, don't put glass on everything, don't put dynamic lights on everything, and use that alpha layer to let us define colors, not accent lighting.

Blinding

Devin Olsen said:
Fuck me, Reach is bad.

Team Classic - AKA ARs on midship.

It honestly upsets me how good the Team Classic playlist could be, yet they fuck it up by making it AR start with the occasional game type having needle rifle start.

THERE IS NOTHING CLASSIC ABOUT THE NEEDLE RIFLE, GET RID OF IT.

:(

Just make the playlist DMR start with pistol secondary. Or worst case DMR and AR.

Exactly how I feel, I think the only reason they put in the NR over the DMR is because the NR is a 4sk.

Karl2177

GhaleonEB said:

This cannot be emphasized enough. Forge maps suck as they are now because mapmakers are trying to cover every AA. If they could simply say "Jetpack makes this map not fun", and then not have a Jetpack loadout for the map. The spawns are still one issue, but personally if I didn't have to worry about Jetpack I'd put more emphasis on spawns.

GhaleonEB

bobs99 ... said:
Swordbase wouldnt be so bad if the Gold Lift room didnt just have a small doorway. That area should be a lot more open in my opinion to the extent that I dont think the wall should be there and Gold lift should really just open out to the top floor of the building. I just generally dont enjoy that map even when people dont camp gold room though, so im not sure its salvageable. :p
Without altering the layout too much, that area would be improved by either 1) making the wall to the room a window or 2) adding a second doorway at the top of the stairs. Either make players inside more vulnerable, or more visible.

I'd also have added a second stairway - perhaps a lift - connecting from the overhanging room above the stairs to the lobby below. That way the one stairwell isn't the only way up on that side.

I think maps in the style of Sword Base are hard to make work, but I was genuiniely shocked that the design issues the lift room presented were not addressed after the Beta ended. They were apparant at that time.
Karl2177 said:
This cannot be emphasized enough. Forge maps suck as they are now because mapmakers are trying to cover every AA. If they could simply say "Jetpack makes this map not fun", and then not have a Jetpack loadout for the map. The spawns are still one issue, but personally if I didn't have to worry about Jetpack I'd put more emphasis on spawns.
Yup. You can design a fantastic playing map, and then drop jetpacks into it and it's horrible. Jetpacks are fine on many maps - they make Sword Base better, I think - but they shouldn't be applied to all.

MrBig

Karl2177 said:
The maps I've made don't cater to AA's because I feel that if someone can break my pathing with the Jet Pack, Evade, Sprint, or something cannot be controlled by anyone but the player there is something wrong with that.

Give us Team Tactical. AA's as pick ups defined by the map maker for what they feel is right, and sprint as the only starting AA.

Karl2177

MrBig said:
Give us Team Tactical. AA's as pick ups defined by the map maker for what they feel is right, and sprint as the only starting AA.
Oh yes please. I'd maybe even throw in Hologram on start as well.

Top Bottom